• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Why do people hate the 3DS Smash Bros. so much?!?!

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I couldn't care less about the control scheme. Especially since I'm getting me a cheap, compact, and very controller-like Mario Kart 7 Wheel in the mail right now.

I believe as well that Sakurai said that he didn't want DLC at all?
Misconception - he said he was open to the possibility but he currently isn't planning for it.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Well, let's be honest with ourselves here. We're Smash fans, so we prefer not to crap all over anything Smash, but.. when compared to the Wii U version, the 3DS version has:

* Inferior graphics Not inferior, the graphics are 3DS graphics, but not necessarily bad
* Inferior sound and music options (probably even worse on XL's) Yes and no
* Probably won't even run 60 FPS as promised when things get chaotic. The AT's/Pokemon running 30 FPS is a big hint there. UNFORTUNATELY, I have to agree. When I played it was around 45-55 frames. Not 100% noticeable but still there.
* Clearly affected the Wii U version in adverse ways, and we won't understand the extent of that 'til both versions launch Not sure about this one.
* Likely won't see any DLC or genuine support/balance patches unless it's a huge bug/problem. The same would go for the WiiU version. Nintendo equalizes the two very well
* A strong focus on single player aspects means less development time was put into the real meat of the game. Not sure about that one, it was never directly stated.
* A horrible control scheme. Let's get serious here: when even Nintendo knows the Wii U gamepad/Wii Remotes won't cut it for the Wii U version and release a first party peripheral to let you play the new Smash with Gamecube controllers, you know it's bad. Maybe. I played the 3DS version and the controls weren't too horrible. They did take time to get used to but otherwise it was fine. Then again I thought Kid Icarus Uprising was fine and a lot of people complain about that one...

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Well, let's be honest with ourselves here. We're Smash fans, so we prefer not to crap all over anything Smash, but.. when compared to the Wii U version, the 3DS version has:

* Inferior graphics
* Inferior sound and music options (probably even worse on XL's)
* Probably won't even run 60 FPS as promised when things get chaotic. The AT's/Pokemon running 30 FPS is a big hint there.
* Clearly affected the Wii U version in adverse ways, and we won't understand the extent of that 'til both versions launch
* Likely won't see any DLC or genuine support/balance patches unless it's a huge bug/problem.
* A strong focus on single player aspects means less development time was put into the real meat of the game
* A horrible control scheme. Let's get serious here: when even Nintendo knows the Wii U gamepad/Wii Remotes won't cut it for the Wii U version and release a first party peripheral to let you play the new Smash with Gamecube controllers, you know it's bad.

Among other things I'm certain I missed.

The funny thing is that a lot of that is nitpicking. Smash 3DS is going to truckloads of copies SIMPLY for the novelty of portable Smash. People won't really consider how good or bad the game is in the short-term, and I assume that's what they're banking on.

If we need to worry about anyone hating anything, I'd say we'd probably have to worry about the Wii U version. A lot of the issue with the Wii U version is going to boil down to how adversely the 3DS version manages to affect it in a multitude of aspects. I still think releasing the 3DS version first was a terrible business move because the Wii U version doesn't have novelty to coast it to a million plus sales like the 3DS version does, but now we'll have something to compare it to for the months and months we'll be playing the 3DS version.
You can change the 3DS version's control scheme in the final game. And the 3DS is clearly capable of patches/DLC. Character models run in 60fps, that's why everything else 30fps, so lag/chaotic things won't be a big problem. You do have good points though.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561

* Inferior graphics
* Inferior sound and music options (probably even worse on XL's)
* Probably won't even run 60 FPS as promised when things get chaotic. The AT's/Pokemon running 30 FPS is a big hint there.
* Clearly affected the Wii U version in adverse ways, and we won't understand the extent of that 'til both versions launch
* Likely won't see any DLC or genuine support/balance patches unless it's a huge bug/problem.
* A strong focus on single player aspects means less development time was put into the real meat of the game
* A horrible control scheme. Let's get serious here: when even Nintendo knows the Wii U gamepad/Wii Remotes won't cut it for the Wii U version and release a first party peripheral to let you play the new Smash with Gamecube controllers, you know it's bad.

Among other things I'm certain I missed.

The funny thing is that a lot of that is nitpicking. Smash 3DS is going to truckloads of copies SIMPLY for the novelty of portable Smash. People won't really consider how good or bad the game is in the short-term, and I assume that's what they're banking on.

If we need to worry about anyone hating anything, I'd say we'd probably have to worry about the Wii U version. A lot of the issue with the Wii U version is going to boil down to how adversely the 3DS version manages to affect it in a multitude of aspects. I still think releasing the 3DS version first was a terrible business move because the Wii U version doesn't have novelty to coast it to a million plus sales like the 3DS version does, but now we'll have something to compare it to for the months and months we'll be playing the 3DS version.
1. The 3DS version's control scheme can be changed in the final game.
2. The 3DS is clearly capable of patches/DLC
3. Only characters run in 60fps, nearly everything else in the game is 30fps, so lag shouldn't be a big issue.
You do have some good points.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Let's be honest, if SSB3DS has Wii U graphics with a TV and has GameCube controller capability, the hate would die dramatically.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
[quote. ="LeeYawshee, post: 16974800, member: 226447"]I got so mad at Andre for saying that. He's usually so mature about things but that was honestly just... Wow. Calling a game inferior just because he doesn't play 3DS games is just... Not right.[/quote]
Agreed. Honestly i lost lots of respect for him after that disscussion.

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
[quote. ="LeeYawshee, post: 16974800, member: 226447"]I got so mad at Andre for saying that. He's usually so mature about things but that was honestly just... Wow. Calling a game inferior just because he doesn't play 3DS games is just... Not right.
Agreed. Honestly i lost lots of respect for him after that disscussion.[/quote]
Honestly, this goes for video games in general, I don't get why it is so hard for people to adjust to different controllers. Every single time I've used a controller from nes to ps4 I get used to it. It is honestly not that big of a deal. It especially isn't a good reason to say a game is inferior to another because the 3ds controls work perfectly fine for every game I've played on there. It ultimately comes down to personal opinion.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Agreed. Honestly i lost lots of respect for him after that disscussion.
Honestly, this goes for video games in general, I don't get why it is so hard for people to adjust to different controllers. Every single time I've used a controller from nes to ps4 I get used to it. It is honestly not that big of a deal. It especially isn't a good reason to say a game is inferior to another because the 3ds controls work perfectly fine for every game I've played on there. It ultimately comes down to personal opinion.
People just want a reason to complain about the 3DS version, mainly those who believe the 3DS version is holding the Wii U version back.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
People just want a reason to complain about the 3DS version, mainly those who believe the 3DS version is holding the Wii U version back.
The way you phrased your post made it sound as though that is not objectively the case.

"The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS," Sakurai said. The 3DS and Wii U versions of the next Smash Bros will have the same library of characters.

"So we're forced into the situation where we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree. but we're really working hard in order to include as many characters as possible."

So I suppose "we" have a reason to complain. I am not content with the reality of the situation myself.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The way you phrased your post made it sound as though that is not objectively the case.

"The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS," Sakurai said. The 3DS and Wii U versions of the next Smash Bros will have the same library of characters.

"So we're forced into the situation where we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree. but we're really working hard in order to include as many characters as possible."

So I suppose "we" have a reason to complain. I am not content with the reality of the situation myself.
I understand that, but the fact that it can hold the game back is one of the reasons why it gets so much flak.

Greninja202

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-9671-3843
So far there are 9 newcomers for smash 4, brawl had around 15 newcomers. Its only 6 less this time but there might be a few more newcomers for smash 4 but there might even be quite a bit more that doesn't get revealed on the release date. The character newcomers and veterans that don't get revealed either get revealed before or after the release date. Most characters that don't get revealed at all are obviously secret characters to be unlocked. I really think that nintendo made a really good move making 2 versions of smash, one on the handheld and one for the home console.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
there are certain limitations on the 3DS
This is actually quite true. Still, even if these limitations exist, I do not mind them, for the fact (considering what I say is true, I don't have a source to back up this claim) that if there was only going to be a 3DS variation of the game, then we should consider ourselves lucky taken the fact that the Wii U version also exists. The 3DS version won't hold the Wii U one back, because the Wii U one should have never had that more content (like Olimar having more than 3 Pikmin, or more characters) everyone is looking for in it.

Last edited:

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
People take the "limitation" factor way out of context. Most people don't even know what Sakurai means by that. If Sakurai thought that the 3DS couldn't handle Smash Bros, or that it would greatly hinder the Wii U version, then Sakurai would simply have not made the game on 3DS at all. Also, as other people have mentioned Sakurai was going to make a 3DS version only, so people need to stop acting like there is a "main" version of Smash.

Morbi

Scavenger
People take the "limitation" factor way out of context. Most people don't even know what Sakurai means by that. If Sakurai thought that the 3DS couldn't handle Smash Bros, or that it would greatly hinder the Wii U version, then Sakurai would simply have not made the game on 3DS at all. Also, as other people have mentioned Sakurai was going to make a 3DS version only, so people need to stop acting like there is a "main" version of Smash.
Limitations are limitations, there is no context to misconstrue from my perspective. Again, as someone mentioned earlier the difference is negligible for the most part; however, I am entitled to believe that it is a detrimental aspect of the game. It is not going to "greatly" hinder the Wii U version of the game, but that is not our concern. It is relevant to note that it WILL hinder the game in some way, shape, or form.

Secondly, everyone asserts that we were only supposed to have a 3DS version of Smash, please provide me with a source as I read something contrary to that notion.

Lastly, I agree with this sentiment. There is no "main" version of Smash.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
Limitations are limitations, there is no context to misconstrue from my perspective. Again, as someone mentioned earlier the difference is negligible for the most part; however, I am entitled to believe that it is a detrimental aspect of the game. It is not going to "greatly" hinder the Wii U version of the game, but that is not our concern. It is relevant to note that it WILL hinder the game in some way, shape, or form.

Secondly, everyone asserts that we were only supposed to have a 3DS version of Smash, please provide me with a source as I read something contrary to that notion.

Lastly, I agree with this sentiment. There is no "main" version of Smash.
“While the development of Kid Icarus: Uprising was at its end, Satoru Iwata came me propose to develop the new Smash Bros game, and asked me if it should be on 3DS or Wii U. We arrived at a point where the series could not evolve, and we wondered if the handheld console was the solution. In the past, we have increased the number of characters and arenas, but this was not enough.”

“At that time, we could have chosen to develop a 3DS version only, but we realised the presence of several limitations. I am referring to the fact of playing a game like Super Smash Bros on a small screen." http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/26/sakurai-says-smash-bros-3ds-was-necessary-to-evolve-the-series/

Morbi

Scavenger
“While the development of Kid Icarus: Uprising was at its end, Satoru Iwata came me propose to develop the new Smash Bros game, and asked me if it should be on 3DS or Wii U. We arrived at a point where the series could not evolve, and we wondered if the handheld console was the solution. In the past, we have increased the number of characters and arenas, but this was not enough.”

“At that time, we could have chosen to develop a 3DS version only, but we realised the presence of several limitations. I am referring to the fact of playing a game like Super Smash Bros on a small screen." http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/26/sakurai-says-smash-bros-3ds-was-necessary-to-evolve-the-series/
Ah, I see. It was not necessarily that he intended it to be a 3DS exclusive title, it was that he had considered the option. Thank you for the source.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
Ah, I see. It was not necessarily that he intended it to be a 3DS exclusive title, it was that he had considered the option. Thank you for the source.
No problem.

I have a question though. Why do you have a concern about the 3DS version being a hindrance to the Wii U version when you don't even know what the limitations are, or better yet what the outcome of the limitations are?

Maikou

Smash Ace
I was just wanna come out here and say something. I have just finished writing an epic chapter of my multichapter Super Smash Brothers fanfic, and I have greatly calmed down from earlier. I would like to speak my personal opinions on the differences I can see and prove between 3DS and Wii U.

First off, looks. Looks aren't everything. People love the old Smash Brothers, for N64 despite being one of the graphically worst games on the console. In Super Smash Brothers for Wii U, Sakurai is aiming to make the game brighter than it was in brawl, but still keep some details since that's possible on the HD console. He even has realisticaly blowing grass in the background of Battlefield, which is a pretty great detail. The 3DS version looks similar, but also more cartoony, which I love. I hate the idea of one of Nintendo's best franchise being T-Rated. That means the responsable parent/guardian would likely not buy the game for their kid, which would make them miss out on the greatness of Smash. The way Smash 3DS looks gives me the feeling it will be E10+ rated, which I further love. Let me just point out here, that most of these characters aren't meant for realistic settings. Mario, Kirby, Pokemon, and Sonic the Hedgehog are all lighthearted video game franchises that focus mainly on bright themes and just the fun of doing impossible things. The cute characters, Yoshi, Kirby, and Pikachu gradually become less cute the more realistically you depict them. I prefer the bright and colorful cartoony style because to me, it fits the characters far better. Plus, for all I like Brawl, the graphics are just far too dark and gritty. It's depressing. 3DS is superior in visual style for me, because I prefer artistically over technically.

Controls. I don't really care about the controls, honestly. I can customize them, obviously, so I'll set Grab to X and Shield to both L and R. if that doesn't work, I'll try a more natural setup to make it feel more like the GameCube controller. Let me just mention I'm also a casual player, so I'm not exactly super picky about things. I might get into competitive play someday, but that's the future and I'm focusing on the here and now.

Roster size; Quite honestly, we have 33 characters confirmed right now, with three months left until Smash 3DS releases. I honestly don't feel we have any need for doubts. I personally, am not worried about further delays/time constraints. As far as I know, And PLEASE DO correct me if I'm wrong, DLC can help an unfinished game become finished. Say that Sakurai decides at the last second to add in, say, Mii Mages. He only gets the character halfway finished before the game's release. Because it's the optimal time for release, Sakurai will release the game even with the unfinished character. What will happen? He will take the unfinished character off of the data of the cartridge, take some time to finish the character, make it DLC, sell it in the E-Shop. Players will spend a dollar or two, and get a full, new character. And you didn't even have to wait extra time to get the rest of the the awesome game! (Seriously, correct if I'm mistaken, because I don't wanna come off as an idiot for a simple mistake)

How something sounds depends on the person, so I'm not gonna say anything on that.
Thank you, goodnight. (it's 3:00AM where I am and I just finished a more thna 5,000 word chapter of a fanfic as a newbie writer)

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
The 3ds version of Super smash bros would in my opinion contradict what the game is and does best. A party game. If I did want to play with my mates I would have to badger them to get a 3DS and Smash bros on it so I could get their friend ID and play on some suspicious netcode. Plus the control scheme in general is not my cup of tea I know it can be changed in the final version of the game but I am not playing a competitive/party game on such a small screen.

The Wii U has higher resolution,bigger screen and you can actually play with your friends without forcing them to get a WII U /3DS also the controls would also be better with the Wii U gamepad or with a different choice.

However the 3ds version excels at what it does best. Being portable this means you can play your loved fighting game on your train going to work, on a way to a tourny for practice and much more. Also you would look like less of a fool holding a 3ds rather than the robbery bait that is the WII U.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Also you would look like less of a fool holding a 3ds rather than the robbery bait that is the WII U.
Implying anyone would steal a Wii U. (I'M JOKING, I'M JOKING)

Anyway, the portable version will definitely have its own niche and merits, especially as a pick-up-and-play title (which is why I'm getting the eShop version).
It's poorly suited for extended play merely because the controller's not comfortable to hold - a third party grip can fix that. Once it is fixed, though, I'll definitely be spending a lot of time on it, especially since - another perk - my brother keeps hogging the Wii U.

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
This thread made me learn a few things.
1.Lots of people here play a game for graphics
2.Lots of people here hate adjusting to a new control scheme
3.Lots of people here can look into the future! They know a unreleased game is inferior to it's Wii U counterpart.

You know, there's no point in trying. I don't care what anyone thinks about this game. Say what you want about the game, I'm just happy you're not Mr. Sakurai.

Rezno

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3711-9111-4971
so has anyone here actually played either game at E3 or like any of the smash-fests at bestbuys like 2 or 3 weeks ago?
I went to the smashfest and damn it was pretty great it may have been a long line and had to wait 3 1/2 hours to play both 3ds and wii u. The 3ds version I got to play while in line so that was Great lol, so when I got to play the 3ds version I was pretty damn excited my brother got to play first then I after him I choose megaman, you know why not? he's new and if anyone has played the online flash game, Super Smash Flash 2 his move sets are almost unique to that game, maybe the dev. of that game went to work with Nintendo? Maybe.

So as I was saying playing the 3ds version was a blast, picked MM and I chose random stage, just for a surprise. Now before I went to the map and picking my character I Honestly thought the game would be frame skippy or laggy on the 3ds, and It wasn't omg I had lots of fun sadly they make it so you only play one match for 10 min, not bad but I would have loved to play another match, But the thing is it was a train map so its a moving course and man I rekt them cpu x) it probably look me most of the match to even get used to the controls, but that's One match or at least 7 minutes, so like when the game releases I got a WHOLE lot more time than 10 damn minutes to even get Super used to the controls xD The thing is the wii u pro controller has the damn same controls, except for the circle pad ofc and to use the smash ball is different but I've read on this fourm that they will have a option to change controls, so not worried, both versions are the same besides graphics and the exclusive stuff like smash run and whatever they will have on the wii u, Also if anything when I was playing the 3ds version it looked Way better than Videos of it, you know what I mean? or like during the E3 streams of Nintendo it looks crappy on video but when you'll play it it looks a lot better, Promise. (and I did play with the big black lines.)

Another thing I been wondering that I have read on this fourm that competitive wont be on the 3ds or at least when the wii u comes it wont anymore, im talking about tournaments, not online play across the world. if anything there has to be like a spectator mode for 3ds, look at MK7 that has a spectator mode when your joining in a match, or has anyone played like SSF4/USF4/Arcade edition? there's a mode where two people fight and its like the winner goes on until he loses, but like what if the winner drops out, the spectator 3ds stays in the room then get the next 2 people then they fight, whats stopping Nintendo from doing something similar if not the same thing for competitive play for the 3ds. But if not, the controls should be some what similar to the wii u pro controller, unless you get/got the GC controller which could be similar just gotta practice, I know I haven't touched a GC controller in a long as timemore than 5 years ago.

So tell me what you guys think about this.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
if anything there has to be like a spectator mode for 3ds, look at MK7 that has a spectator mode when your joining in a match, or has anyone played like SSF4/USF4/Arcade edition? there's a mode where two people fight and its like the winner goes on until he loses, but like what if the winner drops out, the spectator 3ds stays in the room then get the next 2 people then they fight, whats stopping Nintendo from doing something similar if not the same thing for competitive play for the 3ds. But if not, the controls should be some what similar to the wii u pro controller, unless you get/got the GC controller which could be similar just gotta practice, I know I haven't touched a GC controller in a long as timemore than 5 years ago.

So tell me what you guys think about this.
That's existed since Brawl and it's already confirmed to return.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
He will take the unfinished character off of the data of the cartridge, take some time to finish the character, make it DLC, sell it in the E-Shop. Players will spend a dollar or two, and get a full, new character.
I would hate this, unless it's a free DLC.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
If something was intended to be included in the original game but then cut due to time constraints, does it really make sense to charge extra for it? Of course it'd be a lucrative move on their part, but it seems greedy and I feel a lot of people would be annoyed. Including the finished content in a mandatory patch would make much more sense in my opinion.

I'm every bit as excited for the 3DS version as I am the Wii U version. Being able to fill in the 90 minutes I spend each day on public transport with Smash is a really cool prospect. :)

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
So it could be free! Either way, unless I don't get something about DLC the game roster isn't as limited as people think.
This thread made me learn a few things.
1.Lots of people here play a game for graphics
2.Lots of people here hate adjusting to a new control scheme
3.Lots of people here can look into the future! They know a unreleased game is inferior to it's Wii U counterpart.

You know, there's no point in trying. I don't care what anyone thinks about this game. Say what you want about the game, I'm just happy you're not Mr. Sakurai.
Exact ditto here.
so has anyone here actually played either game at E3 or like any of the smash-fests at bestbuys like 2 or 3 weeks ago?
I went to the smashfest and damn it was pretty great it may have been a long line and had to wait 3 1/2 hours to play both 3ds and wii u. The 3ds version I got to play while in line so that was Great lol, so when I got to play the 3ds version I was pretty damn excited my brother got to play first then I after him I choose megaman, you know why not? he's new and if anyone has played the online flash game, Super Smash Flash 2 his move sets are almost unique to that game, maybe the dev. of that game went to work with Nintendo? Maybe.

So as I was saying playing the 3ds version was a blast, picked MM and I chose random stage, just for a surprise. Now before I went to the map and picking my character I Honestly thought the game would be frame skippy or laggy on the 3ds, and It wasn't omg I had lots of fun sadly they make it so you only play one match for 10 min, not bad but I would have loved to play another match, But the thing is it was a train map so its a moving course and man I rekt them cpu x) it probably look me most of the match to even get used to the controls, but that's One match or at least 7 minutes, so like when the game releases I got a WHOLE lot more time than 10 damn minutes to even get Super used to the controls xD The thing is the wii u pro controller has the damn same controls, except for the circle pad ofc and to use the smash ball is different but I've read on this fourm that they will have a option to change controls, so not worried, both versions are the same besides graphics and the exclusive stuff like smash run and whatever they will have on the wii u, Also if anything when I was playing the 3ds version it looked Way better than Videos of it, you know what I mean? or like during the E3 streams of Nintendo it looks crappy on video but when you'll play it it looks a lot better, Promise. (and I did play with the big black lines.)
Thank you!

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
so when I got to play the 3ds version I was pretty damn excited my brother got to play first then I after him I choose megaman, you know why not? he's new and if anyone has played the online flash game, Super Smash Flash 2 his move sets are almost unique to that game, maybe the dev. of that game went to work with Nintendo? Maybe.
Yeah, I noticed how... nearly identical Mega Man:4 is to Mega Man:SSF2 from the start. It is a pretty amazing coincidence, not to mention the Cucco item functioning exactly the same in the two games. Not even almost, exactly.

I know for a fact that nobody on the McLeodGaming staff has worked with Nintendo, but I think it's possible that Nintendo's seen SSF2 and drew inspiration from some elements.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
Personally I'm glad both versions exist. Getting two games out at a time is a lot better than leaving us with just one or the other and forcing us to wait SEVEN FREAKING YEARS, LITERALLY, for any news on the next one!

You know what, why don't we all just come to an agreement; Nobody will bash one version or other. We will treat the games as separate titles and agree that no one game is truly better than the other. Or is that just too much to ask?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
That actually makes sense. Although at the same time, Mega Man in Smash 4 is extremely different. The given moves work similar, (From what I've seen) but they still aren't exactly alike.
Yeah. But they share too many similarities to be a coincidence. Like I said, inspired.

I'm just hoping he took some pointers from Project M, too. And in reducing Olimar's pikmin, it looks like there's some chance of it at some points.

Maikou

Smash Ace
I'm actually wondering the real reason Sakurai halfed the Pikmin amount Olimar can carry. It doesn't seem to me like a real problem for the 3DS, especially since they don't exactly do their own thing like Rosalina and Luma. If anything I'd think Sakurai would make those two more like the Ice Climbers rather than the way they are now. It seems micromanaging is now in a fighting game.....

I just hope Sakurai doesn't make any drastic changes to characters like Lucario. It might be great for you competitive players, but I really need to ask you all to please keep Casuals like myself in mind too. Focusing only on one specific group with a game where both can enjoy it is extremely unfair.

I'm thinking the Olimar change might've been so Sakurai could give him new strengths plus the new weaknesses to make the character stronger. He has half the Pikmin he used too, but now it's easier to track them and since they're in a set order, certain setups for certain things (Like Machinima, among others) are easier. I think Sakurai's trying to keep everyone in mind with this game. He's said that the speed/pacing of the game is going to be in-between Melee and Brawl. I'm guessing that means he's trying to give Competitives the fast pace they need, while also letting the Casuals enjoy the slower pace they prefer.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I just hope Sakurai doesn't make any drastic changes to characters like Lucario. It might be great for you competitive players, but I really need to ask you all to please keep Casuals like myself in mind too. Focusing only on one specific group with a game where both can enjoy it is extremely unfair.
Yeah, Lucario:M kind of throws me off in how they changed him. I think Lucario:4's going to be fine competitively, even though it looks like they're primarily multiplying his Brawl attributes.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Personally I'm glad both versions exist. Getting two games out at a time is a lot better than leaving us with just one or the other and forcing us to wait SEVEN FREAKING YEARS, LITERALLY, for any news on the next one!

You know what, why don't we all just come to an agreement; Nobody will bash one version or other. We will treat the games as separate titles and agree that no one game is truly better than the other. Or is that just too much to ask?
As much as I would love this, It would be nearly impossible due to haters, and people who just keep pushing the topic. I'm glad that two versions are coming also, but it disappoints me how people hate the concept of at the 3DS version, everyone has their own separate screen. Sakurai said himself that he really wanted that to be a good aspect of the 3DS version, and only unique to it. Imagine the possibilities.

“What’s unique about the 3DS is that you have your own screen,” Sakurai offered. “There are things we can do that are unique to having a personalized experience for yourself. Also, having your own data that you can carry around in your own personal device creates a lot of neat opportunities. That’s something we want to take advantage of – without going into too much detail.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/creating-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-and-3ds

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
* Inferior graphics Yes
* Inferior sound and music options (probably even worse on XL's) Yes
* Probably won't even run 60 FPS as promised when things get chaotic. The AT's/Pokemon running 30 FPS is a big hint there. YES
* Clearly affected the Wii U version in adverse ways, and we won't understand the extent of that 'til both versions launch Yes
* Likely won't see any DLC or genuine support/balance patches unless it's a huge bug/problem. Yes
* A strong focus on single player aspects means less development time was put into the real meat of the game. Possibly
* A horrible control scheme. Yes
Fixed

Morbi

Scavenger
No problem.

I have a question though. Why do you have a concern about the 3DS version being a hindrance to the Wii U version when you don't even know what the limitations are, or better yet what the outcome of the limitations are?
That is precisely why it is a concern of mine, I will never be able to contemplate or envision what Smash 4 "could have been." Just the mere notion that something is taken away is a hindrance from my perspective. As mentioned earlier, certain aspects of the game have already been changed, such as Pikmin, transformation characters and perhaps the Ice Climbers. We shall see. Other than that, there has been no word on stage-builder as of current. The obvious limitation was, more likely than not, Subspace Emissary's removal (despite Sakurai's equivocation). Other than that, he has basically confirmed that it will influence the roster to some extent and obviously I feel as though the development time on a completely different console with completely different hardware was detrimental.

Last edited:

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Just putting "YES" next to everything won't prove anything. I'll be restating some things, but so be it.

Comparing graphics to a handheld in the same generation is kind of odd, but I don't know what you were expecting. HD Graphics? The graphics look fine to me, and I've gotten a lot of approval from people who actually tried SSB3DS at Smash Fest/E3. Plus, who even plays a game just for its graphics? You might as well throw your NES out the window, cause you aren't going to see some HD graphics there. If the players do not care, then graphics will not matter, because no one is paying attention to it. Same goes for music. Let's just say I usually play Smash with the volume down. Will I care for the quantity of music in the game? Obviously, I won't. What does this mean? It won't matter for the player at all.

Even so, I respect it if you do not like the graphics, nor the sound.

Have you played SSB3DS at Smash Fest/E3? A lot of crazy things were going on when I was trying it out, but it stayed at a stable 60FPS.

I also stated this previously, but if there was just going to be a SSB3DS, then it CAN'T hold back SSBWiiU because SSBWiiU would have never had quantity at all if they decided it would be a 3DS exclusive.

Sakurai stated he didn't want DLC. I don't have a source for this.

Control Scheme has to do with opinions. If you think it's bad, so be it. I respect that decision. When I tried it, I think it worked out fine.

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Quick question: Why didn't competitive players use custom stages more often? They could easy make the stages they wanted with little to no trouble at all, right?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Quick question: Why didn't competitive players use custom stages more often? They could easy make the stages they wanted with little to no trouble at all, right?
Not really on topic, but I'll still answer.

It's at least partially because custom stages that are competitively safe are just boring to look at, assuming you mean the stage builder. Not EVERYTHING in tournament play is ultra sterile.

Top Bottom