• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why did you pick each of your mains/secondaries?

Tenki

Smash Hero
I main Sonic because I found a tech for him

bawahahahhahahaha

but in all honesty, I love the playstyle. Mobility, movement options to bait out and punish moves, while everyone else is too slow to the point that to them, "speed doesn't matter in Brawl".

...yeah. :3

SaberKnight

Smash Rookie
I use Solid Snake as my main because i have been a diehard metal gear fan for years and I use marth as my alt because....well because he looks cool and controls well :3

trev94

Smash Journeyman
i tryed everyone out at frist then i started to work with who i was good with

Tennet

Smash Champion
In Melee i started using sheik as my main. Then i wanted to learn another character and i thought hmm Marth has a sword, its what i looking for so i decided to main him. I still do in Brawl i enjoy playing him the most. For my secondary i chose Falcon because i wanted to learn a low tier character and he was the most awesome so i went with him.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I grew up with Sonic since '93-'94. Also my favorite video game character of all time, so I kinda have to.

I mean, it'd be a sin against my inner self if I didn't.

Mith_

Smash Champion
My friend turned me on to Donkey Kong.
I started to use Falco after I saw how well he performs in a tourney I went to.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I picked Diddy because..well...I think anyone who's seen me post on these forums can tell ya..

I's a hardcore DK fan.

New Captain Falcon

Smash Rookie
since i played F zero i was absolutely blind by the mighty Capt Falcon, in my childhood i wanted to be like him and to be honest i ´m still want to, that´s why i choose him since the first smash and no matter that he has become the god of the low tier, one day i will show everyone the genius of the falcon and he will be in a better rank, i dont mention it often but my second is Sheik , fast and deadly and like to do combos with her, i even consider her the daughter of Capt falcon in the smash games(melee and brawl)

•Col•

Smash Champion
I mained Roy in Melee...

So I main Ike in Brawl... Plus, Brawl Marth reminds me of Roy. Another secondary of mine is Pit, just because he had a lot of things that interest me.

The_Blue_Bomber

Smash Journeyman
:kirby2: Kirby - My main in both 64 and Melee, I use him because I love Kirby games and I just love the way Kirby plays. So of course I use Kirby in Brawl.

:ness2: Ness - My 64 and Melee secondary. I loved the way Ness played in SSB64 so I tried out Earthbound and I absolutely loved it. This made me want to continue on with him in Melee. In Brawl I really loved Ness' play style so I decided to use him a bit more than Kirby.

:metaknight: Meta Knight - Naturally since I love Kirby games, I used Meta Knight in Brawl.

:dedede: King Dedede - (See above)

:marth: Marth - I not really a fan of Fire Emblem but I just really love the way Marth plays. He is the perfect mix of power and speed and his play-style is really technical, I love it.

Shirufu

Smash Apprentice
Luigi was who i used in melee and in comparison he was my best (i always hated him until i started to try and master wavedashing back in 05 lol) and found i could use him. When it came to brawl it was hard for me to adjust and i ended up going Pokemon Trainer for the Laughs, but i found out i liked his new style and until i could finally get used to brawl luigi PT was my main, now I main Luigi and Secondary PT and am working on Lucas, Zelda, Shiek.

P.s.- Look at my hoodie thanks to my dad XD I'm not afraid to show my colors
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/Cylf/luigifullview004.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/Cylf/luigifullview003.jpg

DAGanmanert

Smash Apprentice
SSB-Link-My Fav char at the time that I almost never switched when playing smash. Dropped in brawl due to too much Diff.</3

Falcon-his maniliness rubbed off on me and I coudlnt resist not using him occasionaly, was and still is awesome. Also love F-Zero series.

SSBM-Link-Carried form SSB64..Was so awesome still...Used Fox more tho.
Fox-Love the SF series and an awesome character. Fit my playstyle perfectly too, the ATs were also a nice bonus.
Roy-Just cuz I loved FE and he was awesome. Same for Marth.

SSBB-Wolf-Simply Badass and totally my fav char. His inurfacealtehtime playstyle fit me perfectly.
Falco-Original main and now used very little, playstyle fit me liek a glove when Iw as first learning him. Not to mention he was one of my Fav SF Characters.
Fox-To Finish the SF Trio and I secretly wanted to main him..which I ended up doing. Almost didnt when I saw how diff he was in the transiton(SSBM-SSBB)

And sue some others on the side jsut cuz=)

_umbra_

Smash Champion
I main mk because I'm a huge kirby fan. Pikachu is my backup because mk is getting boring and pikachu seems to require a lot of tech skill. Almost every other character in brawl is boring imo (melee player :) ), so I just decided to play him for a while. I main kirby in 64 and peach in melee.

-Red-

Smash Cadet
I main Snake because I like how he plays and honestly feel he in at an advantage vs Metaknight, but thats a debate for another thread....

As for my second, I picked up G&W to counter Falco and D3 who counter Snake.

Personal bais never comes into play with my and competive gaming, if so I'd totally be rocking Sonic and Link ^_^

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
Falco was simple ownage + I mained him in Melee

Diddy, cause he is fun, and also can own with bananas.

Bother have very nice Down B. (However I must say Diddy's is better)

Omniomega

Smash Apprentice
Let's see I started off as a Mario main since I was one through all three of the games. But then I got tired of using Mario and I liked to use Mewtwo a lot in melee. However since Mewtwo isn't in brawl I tried out his predecessor Lucario. I played around with him and thought, "Dude, this char is awesome." So I mained Lucario from then on. Also I'm a bit of a PokeFan.

My second main would have to be Falco. First off I'm a fan of the StarFox series and I've always wanted to play as Falco. At first in melee I didn't really liked how he played but then a few months before brawl came out, I started training with him. I was trying to learn all the AT for him at the time, but I couldn't really quite grasp the hang of doing them. Then when brawl came out I tried him out with a fresh new start. After a few days of matches I got a good feel of him and that's when I mained him.

My first secondary would have to be Link. I've always liked using Link since the first game and I love TLoZ series. I chose Link for a secondary just because I did notice how bad his recovery is and how easily it can be gimped, but I love his projectile game. I needed a char in my party that I could use for long range and good mind games. And that's why I chose Link.

My last secondary is Bowser. The reason I picked Bowser for a secondary is because I missed having a char the represented the Mario universe. I didn't want to pick Mario since I got bored with him so I first tried out Luigi. Basically I just couldn't get used to his recovery and I didn't like his horizontal movement in the air, so then I tried Peach. Pretty almost the same thing with Luigi. I couldn't get used to how she moves in the air and too me she's just too slow. And then at last I tried Bowser. At first I didn't really like how he played, but then after a few matches with my friends while using him. I began to grasp how he played. His movement in the air was too my liking and he had a pretty good ground game too me. That and I like his kamikaze.

That's basically it for my mains and secondaries but if I wanted to add one more I would add Pit. The reason being is that I wanted to main him ever since I saw the first trailer but when the game came out like everybody was using Pit. So I basically stayed away from him for a while. But then about a couple months later when I started to see less Pit players I tried him out. To me he was very fun to use and I liked how you can control the arrows. His aerial game was good and he had an awesome recovery. Aside from all that I also noticed that all my mains and secondaries were all in different parts of the weight list.
I had from super heavy weight to mid weight and a feather weight, but no light weight. And since Pit was in that category and I liked using him. I sorta did put him in my party, but only for friendlies I won't use him for competitive play. Ironically my 2 mains and 2 secondaries are each apart of a different section of the current tier list.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Originally I played Peach because she was fun and I was decent with her. When I started playing competitively I found out she was high tier and was glad she had high potential. Then when brawl came out i just stuck with her because I'm not a tier hore.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Marth - Main since Melee, plays very well.

Falco - His play style intrigues me and I love Star Fox.

DeDeDe - Gimpiest gimper next to/tied with/ahead of ROB.

Akiak

Smash Ace
I chose Metaknight initially because i've always loved him in the Kirby games. But after some time, the normalness and simplicity of his moves slowly drove me away. Plus the fact everyone says he's broken and all (which i dont consider true).
I then tried out D3 because of his beautiful colors and I liked him pretty much also for his fun moves and heavy-weight.But he wasn't very agile and his way of killing wasnt very cool or with style so I tried Falco.
I really like him now because he always kills his foes with style. So I stick with him now.

~StarDust~

Smash Apprentice
I picked pikachu because i used to win battles as him in melee all the time, nobody could beat me. I still like pikachu

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I picked my secondary (Trainer) because I love Pokemon
I picked my main (Jigs) because I love Castlevania even more (I know that Jigs isn't from the vania series but the ownage she inflicts reminds me of medusa heads, bats, and fleamen.

Ange

Smash Lord
I mained Pikachu in Melee. I promise ya I used him for /everything/. I dont remember why I chose him, but it was probably cause I just.. love Pokemon.

my BRAWL main however have changed dramaticly. |: I tried bringing up Pika again but... I somehow didnt like him in Brawl, even tho his moveset havnt really changed, aside from he can crawl, so I first picked up Lucario, then it got TL and then it somehow went to Wolf.
then after awhile it went into Wolf/Ness, shortly after that Marth can in, and later I dropped Wolf/Ness and began with Fox after Ive played some SF games recently. Never liked/played the FE games tho, but Marth is indeed good looking hehe

So it can be said I main Marth/Fox in Brawl. currently. I really like their fighting styles, and I guess Pikachu could be some kind of sideshow long-lost secondary if not lower, bah.

rayman1234

Smash Cadet
Well I mained Roy in melee because he had a sword and was cool looking. Plus he was decently fast. I play Marth in brawl for the same reasons. He's fast, has a sword, looks cool with his cape. Plus, tipping is so much fun.

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
In melee I mained Samus and I still felt some loyalty to her, even though I hate her in Brawl, so I main Zero Suit Samus.
And shes decent looking.
And she does decently against MK I think.

Pho

Smash Journeyman
In melee I played Dr Mario before I knew about competitive smash. After I started looking up advanced techniques and videos, everyone was using Marth, Fox, Shiek, and Falco. The first video I saw that didn't have that was Chu Dat's Ice Climbers, and after that I started to use them. When Brawl came out, I saw hyrulian's chain grab awhile ago, which kinda pushed me away from them. I now use Toon Link, because I always wanted to use "a" Link, but I never liked the feel of him until I used Toon Link. Plus, Santi's combo video kept me inspired to continue playing him.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Because I like their playstyle and the fact that they're my best characters to play as. When Brawl first came I out the least thing I expected was to be using a robot that at the time I saw as slow and dumb. I honestly wanted to main MetaKnight but my friend told me how a lot of people used him and he was good and I kinda lost interest with him.

I picked my secondaries because I'm good with them, and thier playstyle is fitting for me I guess. I've always liked projectiles so I guess ROB, Peach, and Pikachu are pretty good fits for my playstyle.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
I picked Snake as my main the first time I saw the trailer, because he is made of awesome. I picked Ike as a secondary, because I loved how he played. I picked Wolf because when the roster was revealed, he was the character I was most eager to unlock. As for Wario as a secondary...I picked him because I had played Brawl with a friend one day, and he was Wario, and he just kept Wario-biking me on FD, and thought "There has to be more playability to this guy." and I played him, and fell in love with his moveset.

Frown

poekmon
In SSB64:

Philip had Link.
Robert had Ness.
Richard had Pikachu.
Samuel had Fox and C. Falcon.
Eldin (Yeah, that's his name) had DK and Kirby.
Martin had Mario and Luigi.
We considered Jigglypuff to be useless and Samus was boring like hell. I usually picked any character but wanted a favourite one. So I went with Yoshi.

In Melee, I thought Yoshi was crap, so I usually picked Bowser instead (like if he was better).

And now, I play Yoshi, Luigi and Bowser.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
When I first started looking more deeply into Melee, I eventually found out all the things the Ice Climbers can do with chaingrabs and desynchs, and that's what got me interested in them. Oh, and I found the ICs' affiliation with cold to be appealing.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Falco because I got used to him, and he has a nice mix between close and far away combat, so I can use the one more suitable during the match

Kirby/Wolf/DDD/ROB/Snake/Weegee/DK were either fun, good for covering falco, enjoy their playstyle, although Wolf, DDD, ROB are at a higher level than the ones I listed, I used to second MK right behind Falco before the I.D.C. was discovered....

Top Bottom