• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why can't roy or chrom join aswell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
From what I understand at first impression, Lucina seems to function similarly to how Roy used to. This could be Sakurai's answer to satisfy Roy mains.

•She does not have a sword tip sweetspot, indicating that it may be in the center of the sword.
•Her attacks generally seem to be slower.

Last edited:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I don't see her having fire-themed attacks like Roy did though; if anything i think she will be more like what Toon Link is to Link, a lightweight and faster version of the counterpart. I didn't notice that she has more frames in her attacks than Marth, but it'd make sense to give the two of them different speeds from each other to simulate the Marth and Roy duo in Melee.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I don't see her having fire-themed attacks like Roy did though; if anything i think she will be more like what Toon Link is to Link, a lightweight and faster version of the counterpart. I didn't notice that she has more frames in her attacks than Marth, but it'd make sense to give the two of them different speeds from each other to simulate the Marth and Roy duo in Melee.
Yeah, the lack of visual flair bothers me. It set Roy apart despite the animations being the same.

But to make another comparison to Toon Link, Binding Blade isn't that well known anymore, especially not to Western audiences, but Awakening definitely is. That could be what happened - the character skeleton was changed to be more relevant. Thus, the lack of a big newcomer banner.

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Do you think they'll bring Roy back just t say we have all the Fire Emblem characters that have appeared in Smash Bros? The reason why I decided to bring this up in Lucina's thread is because of the details about her differences with Marth, Marty's sword is strongest at the tip while Lucina's is strongest all over and of course Roy in Melee had his power at the hilt of his sword along with fire abilities so do you think it's possible to have sort of a Marth trio much like the Fox trio in Brawl? (Granted Wolf was legitimately different except for his specials but you get my point."

And if Roy does come back because of this would you be happy?

Morbi

Scavenger
Lucina is fairly unprecedented, she is the first "second" clone of a character. I am sure that Roy still has a chance, albeit, I do not believe that he is all that likely anymore. Perhaps as DLC. They could always develop an original move-set for him. Honestly though, I would rather if they just gave Lucina the PHYRE sword. :awesome:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Why is the thread titled "Lucina vs. Roy" if this is just asking if Roy can come back? I guess we can compare their fighting styles but you already listed them out.

fe_wander

Smash Cadet
If they do DLC, I think Roy's very likely to return. I'd be cool with it, although I never played him much in Melee.
I'd be shocked if he got in the roster before DLC though, simply because I can't see FE getting 5 reps. 4 was already pretty surprising, even with Lucina being a clone.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I give Roy a 5% chance of returning. Even with DLC.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If they do DLC, I think Roy's very likely to return. I'd be cool with it, although I never played him much in Melee.
I'd be shocked if he got in the roster before DLC though, simply because I can't see FE getting 5 reps. 4 was already pretty surprising, even with Lucina being a clone.
If Fire Emblem does get a 5th character I would want an Axe, Spear or Dragon Transformer rep.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Why is the thread titled "Lucina vs. Roy" if this is just asking if Roy can come back? I guess we can compare their fighting styles but you already listed them out.
Lol I'll admit I couldn't think of a title that wouldn't be too long. Also, you don't have to take me word for it but I'm only throwing out the possibility of Roy returning, I have no interest in whether or not Roy returns myself I just feel like if Lucina is going to be this similar to Marth but have a different point of her attacks be more powerful then Roy might as well come back because then we'd have the Marth who focuses on the tip, Roy focuses on the hilt and Lucina is the middle ground character who can focus on the entire sword.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I'm willing to guess that Roy DLC would create arguments more than it would make people happy. "Five FE reps? Two Marth clones? Why not give us (character here)? I hate you Sakurai!"

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Oh good Helix... I thought we finished this argument yesterday.

There is no Lucina vs. Roy. There will not be a Lucina vs. Roy. I know a lot of melee veterans want to see the Marth clone with the fiery sword, but Roy is extremely old news. He is 10 years out of date, only appearing in Awakening to cameo with all the other lords. IS doesn't care about him. Fire Emblem fans don't care about him. Most people don't care about him. The only ones who care are Smash players and even then only a minority. It's hardly worth the effort to make a Roy character. Now, MAYBE, we'll see him as DLC in the future. MAYBE. But that all depends on Sakurai and his team with a little bit of help from IS. Personally, don't count on it.

Also, why does everyone assume that if Roy returns he'll play like he did in Melee? He has his own game full of unique material to use. Just saying.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Oh good Helix... I thought we finished this argument yesterday.

There is no Lucina vs. Roy. There will not be a Lucina vs. Roy. I know a lot of melee veterans want to see the Marth clone with the fiery sword, but Roy is extremely old news. He is 10 years out of date, only appearing in Awakening to cameo with all the other lords. IS doesn't care about him. Fire Emblem fans don't care about him. Most people don't care about him. The only ones who care are Smash players and even then only a minority. It's hardly worth the effort to make a Roy character. Now, MAYBE, we'll see him as DLC in the future. MAYBE. But that all depends on Sakurai and his team with a little bit of help from IS. Personally, don't count on it.

Also, why does everyone assume that if Roy returns he'll play like he did in Melee? He has his own game full of unique material to use. Just saying.
To be fair, even after Melee the Ice Climbers haven't been popular and had only one game and they're even older news, just saying.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I felt the topic thread was suggesting a discussion between Lucina and Roy and the differences/similarities between the two. They are certainly similar characters as they are based off Marth yet exhibit some differences. As well, Marth being focused on the top while Lucina/Roy more so on the entire sword.

However, I think the reveal for Lucina and Robin was the death blow for Roy. I don't even see him as DLC material anymore.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
Lucina is fairly unprecedented, she is the first "second" clone of a character. I am sure that Roy still has a chance, albeit, I do not believe that he is all that likely anymore. Perhaps as DLC. They could always develop an original move-set for him. Honestly though, I would rather if they just gave Lucina the PHYRE sword. :awesome:
Nah, Luigi was a clone of Mario in SSB64 and then Doctor Mario was in Melee.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
We already have several threads discussing Sakurai's viewpoint on Chrom and all. Most specifically this thread. So I don't think we really need another one of these.

*thread locked*

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
It is definitely a growing franchise. Fire Emblem: Awakening especially helped to expand its influence in the west. The latest character reveal trailer, being Fire Emblem themed, may have also helped to broaden its recognition as well as capture interest from new audiences.

We have Marth, Lucina, and Robin hailing from Akaneia; and Ike coming from Tellius. If Nintendo one day decides to remake and localize Genealogy of the Holy War (FE4) and Thracia 776 (FE5), a Jugdral representative could be probable for future Smash installments, which would be nice. Probably Sigurd? I remember reading somewhere that he was once considered to be included in Melee.

^-^

Last edited:

CamZ

Smash Apprentice
If FE is getting as much representation as Pokémon and Mario, maybe we might see the return of a certain red haired swordsmen... (hint, hint)

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
If FE is getting as much representation as Pokémon and Mario, maybe we might see the return of a certain red haired swordsmen... (hint, hint)
Another marth clone though...Whatever I liked Roy.

Hong

The Strongest
Still no items, tho.

Also the Wii U stage is probably the most boring stage on the console from what I had played on the demo.

Not to sound like a spoiled brat. I could have nary selected better representatives myself. That said, I find it strange Kid Icarus would have three items already confirmed to be in the game, even more so from one game, meanwhile Fire Emblem has a near-25-year legacy and a host of divine weapons that are just ripe for the choosing.

Phoenon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PhoenonX
Wouldn't mind seeing Hector, Tharja or Anna make it in myself.

Anna in particular is a mainstay in most FE games.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
@ Stompu Stompu : I believe he's referring to Chrom. :p He could also be referring to the female version of Robin, I guess...? :p

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
...Gregor? Severa? Joshua?

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Fire Emblem is almost getting as much recognition as Mario and Pokemon.
Not even close, specially when you consider content aside from playable characters. There are tons of Mario and Pokémon related items/ATs (and the Poké Balls) in the the series. Fire Emblem is getting a lot more recognition in SSB4, but it still doesn't compare to the likes of Mario and Pokémon. Maybe if the next title in the series is as successful as Awakening, the next Smash Bros (if there is one, hopefully not for at least 10 years) will have Mario-level of representation for Fire Emblem.

Dark Emperor Hardin

Smash Cadet
It is definitely a growing franchise. Fire Emblem: Awakening especially helped to expand its influence in the west. The latest character reveal trailer, being Fire Emblem themed, may have also helped to broaden its recognition as well as capture interest from new audiences.

We have Marth, Lucina, and Robin hailing from Akaneia; and Ike coming from Tellius. If Nintendo one day decides to remake and localize Genealogy of the Holy War (FE4) and Thracia 776 (FE5), a Jugdral representative could be probable for future Smash installments, which would be nice. Probably Sigurd? I remember reading somewhere that he was once considered to be included in Melee.

^-^
Actually, Leif was originally going to be in Melee, but (sadly) Sakurai chose Roy to promote the coming release of Sword of Seals.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Actually, Leif was originally going to be in Melee, but (sadly) Sakurai chose Roy to promote the coming release of Sword of Seals.
Interesting. If Leif is ever considered to be part of the roster again, he would be another character to help further diversify FE representation in Smash in terms of appearance, thanks to his hair not being blue; of course, the same can be said for Roy. ^-^

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
The difference between Fire Emblem and Pokemon is that almost every Fire Emblem introduces characters of a different generation of people. Anyone who reps the franchise better be able to represent the franchise as a whole well and/or have some significance to the series. For Pokemon, even though there are different starters and catchable Pokemon in each game, they still exist within the universe. In Generation 6 games you can still catch and trade Pokemon from Generation 1. Not only that, but Pokemon has TV shows, movies, apps, and merchandise to promote the franchise. So any Pokemon that can help represent the entity that is the Pokemon franchise is fair game.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Hey, I just want Hector in.

Fire Emblem has long been a niche title in the west and a dying franchise in Japan. Awakening served to increase interest everywhere. It'd be nice to see the series get the recognition it deserves. It's not your usual kind of Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom