• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why can't roy or chrom join aswell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Fire Emblem definitely deserves a lot more representation, it's been around since the NES days and it's barely been recognized in the Smash Bros. games up until now. I'm liking how they're spreading out the representation, with three lords and a tactician playable, and another lord in a Final Smash and another as an Assist Trophy.

And yeah @ Ryuutakeshi Ryuutakeshi , I'd definitely dig an Axe user. We've got none of those!

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Fire Emblem definitely deserves a lot more representation, it's been around since the NES days and it's barely been recognized in the Smash Bros. games up until now. I'm liking how they're spreading out the representation, with three lords and a tactician playable, and another lord in a Final Smash and another as an Assist Trophy.

And yeah @ Ryuutakeshi Ryuutakeshi , I'd definitely dig an Axe user. We've got none of those!
Give him Armads and let him go to town. Or the Wolf Beil. I'm not picky.

But yes, Fire Emblem is a classic series. If Nintendo decides to focus on it as their flagship strategy game, I won't complain.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Am I the only one upset that, despite the love it's gotten, on the big game trailer (the one which introduced Villager), Fire Emblem is pretty much the only series which did not get a title splash? Even Kid Icarus got one! Fire Emblem has been part of the series longer, and has contributed more characters and stages to the games.

Last edited:

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Am I the only one upset that, despite the love it's gotten, on the big game trailer (the one which introduced Villager), Fire Emblem is pretty much the only series which did not get a title splash? Even Kid Icarus got one! Fire Emblem has been part of the series longer, and has contributed more characters and stages to the games.
Let us wait for the official intro sequence. Maybe when that time comes, it'll get one. Even if it doesn't, I'm sure there will be FE represented in some form. ^-^

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Let us wait for the official intro sequence. Maybe when that time comes, it'll get one. Even if it doesn't, I'm sure there will be FE presented in some form. ^-^
Yeah, I think it was just because no Fire Emblem characters had been announced yet. But it still irked me.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I hope I'm not intruding too much, but even though I don't play a whole lot of Fire Emblem (I've only played 7, the first one that came to the US), from what I can tell there are a ton of games in the series, and a gazillion memorable characters in the series--as such I didn't think just having Marth and Ike in Smash did the series justice. So when we got the reveal that Lucina and Robin were both joining, I didn't bat an eye while a lot of other people started screaming and claiming that Fire Emblem had "too many characters" in the game.

What I'm trying to say is that, given how rich the world of Fire Emblem is from what I can observe when people discuss it here on Smashboards, I'd actually like Fire Emblem to become added to the Big 3 Smash series (the ones that consistently have the most characters in the game): Mario (and its spinoffs Yoshi, DK, and Wario), Zelda, and Pokemon.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I hope I'm not intruding too much, but even though I don't play a whole lot of Fire Emblem (I've only played 7, the first one that came to the US), from what I can tell there are a ton of games in the series, and a gazillion memorable characters in the series--as such I didn't think just having Marth and Ike in Smash did the series justice. So when we got the reveal that Lucina and Robin were both joining, I didn't bat an eye while a lot of other people started screaming and claiming that Fire Emblem had "too many characters" in the game.

What I'm trying to say is that, given how rich the world of Fire Emblem is from what I can observe when people discuss it here on Smashboards, I'd actually like Fire Emblem to become added to the Big 3 Smash series (the ones that consistently have the most characters in the game): Mario (and its spinoffs Yoshi, DK, and Wario), Zelda, and Pokemon.
I can agree with this. The cast of characters in any Fire Emblem game probably rivals the combined cast of Mario, Zelda, Kid Icarus, Pikmin, StarFox, and Kirby.

Similarly, so many people complain about the number of Pokémon on the roster, but there are just a LOT more Pokémon than most of the other series have characters period.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I remember how FE never came out in the true way to me through Smash, and me just hearing how it is a SRPG was scaring me away from it. After trying FE7 and clearing it though, I was beyond frustrated and disappointed on how just little justice Smash did to the series aside from music and perhaps the characters.

At the moment though I'm glad they're pulling more things from the series, like the Colosseum, Arena Ferox, the spells for Robin, and so forth. But I think there could be more done? For example:

- We could have different class NPCs fighting in a war if we ever get another Castle Siege-esque stage. Pegasus Knights, Horsemen (paladins, great knights, you know), Wyvern Riders, Mannaketes/Shapeshifters (My term to the animal transformer tribes in the series), etc.

- ITEMS... Come on. We could have had like, a weapon pulled from FE instead another Kid Icarus Uprising-weapon. Unless Sakurai just doesn't know what to do with those weapons (I can't blame him but... YOU'RE CREATIVE FELLA... enough biasement...)
Also all the tools and powerups from the series (Tikis Tear, maybe the Skills themselves like Luna giving you more power to break shields, etc. Or that could be a weapon too, like in the games!)

- Lyn could use more familiars in the Assist League. Micaiah? Black Knight? Heck, Jugdral-lords? I'd go for Micaiah and Black Knight though. Also maybe Lissa or one of the Big Bads in FEA?

You get me. More stuff to make people GET what FE's about. Not about "Is Marth or Roy/Ike/Robin/Lucina in this game", while staying forever clueless about it's theme and perhaps gameplay-like nature.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
That's a good point: Why haven't there been any items from Fire Emblem?

Anything from Vulneraries to Tiki's Tear (buff to all stats in Smash? Yes, please).

Last edited:

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
Personally I'm very happy we're getting Lucina as a character instead of a skin for quite a few reasons. The first of which being is that she's an amazing character, but I also feel like this means she's going to be a part of the smash family for quite a good amount of time.

And personally, I think she has a lot of potential to be "Luigified" in future games, since she's almost certainly going to have a second appearance in the next FE game (love of dualolgies), as well as her assumed inclusion in the FE/SMT crossover, giving her a great deal of relevance in future games.

Making her a separate character in these games is important to keep her open to grow and be decloned later, possibly picking up moves from these games or other sources.

I'm not in love with the fact that she's a clone now, but having her in the game is the important thing right now, and I'm glad she was included.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm really hoping she gets developed, ATM her being a Female Marth in a nutshell isn't doing her any justice. On the other hand, I think that's also what might get her cut from the next game, considering she was meant to be an Alt for Marth...

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
Personally I'm very happy we're getting Lucina as a character instead of a skin for quite a few reasons. The first of which being is that she's an amazing character, but I also feel like this means she's going to be a part of the smash family for quite a good amount of time.

And personally, I think she has a lot of potential to be "Luigified" in future games, since she's almost certainly going to have a second appearance in the next FE game (love of dualolgies), as well as her assumed inclusion in the FE/SMT crossover, giving her a great deal of relevance in future games.

Making her a separate character in these games is important to keep her open to grow and be decloned later, possibly picking up moves from these games or other sources.

I'm not in love with the fact that she's a clone now, but having her in the game is the important thing right now, and I'm glad she was included.
It all depends on the future of the series and how well robin and lucina will do in the game. If robin does poorly while lucina is generally accepted, that bodes well for her. If lucina fails and turns out to be a bad version of marth, That alone is enough to kill her chances. Even if Robin flops as well. Its risky business being a clone as well as a newcomer. That's why roy was cut. they new he was famous, just they where like "god, I can't think of anything unique for him". Mind you if there is no fire emblem game sense, it won't matter (but what are the odds).

But here is the interesting part. Because she is female and she has the original roy syndrome she has uniqueness enough to possibly jump her into the next game.

I myself think Sakurai was originally planning to have Marth, Roy and Lucina take up the same spot via costume clones and let them have the same moveset but with the added special effect of the damage spread (is there a technical rearm for that? I think there should be). In the future we might see this happening again but maybe with another third to take roy's place (because currently sakurai has shown no love for the guy). I have the feeling that we will see lucina again. I just don't think this pure character thing will last too long.

Slushi Simcabi

Smash Cadet
Wow I was thinking about this earlier today!

IMO: Because Lucina requires minimal resources and supplies the roster with more females, (as well as being the first Fire Emblem female.... technically) I think she will continue to appear in future smash titles along with the rest of the FE cast.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
This is the one thing about her reveal that worried me.

Should there be another Smash game, I don't think her chances of returning are very high unless she continues to be used in her own series. Otherwise, she'll just become another Roy.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
I'm worried that Lucina might get cut from the next Smash Bros, as the out of the 3 Fire Emblem Reps (Roy, Marth, Ike) we've had so far (excluding the upcoming Robin and Lucina) the only one that has been cut is Roy. This doesn't bode well for Lucina in my books, since Roy and Lucina are similar in the fact that they were both clone type characters. With Ike staying in for this next iteration of Smash, it's very likely that just Robin will be here to stay whereas Lucina will be a one time deal.

I'm won't be too sad if Lucina does end up getting cut from any new Smash Bros. since Sakurai (or whoever directs the next one) will likely keep her in as a Marth alternate.

Anyways, fingers crossed in hopes that she is here to stay.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
If Lucina remains relevant and popular in future FE games and no other character rises up to take her spotlight, I think she'll be back. :) It's very likely that Roy was cut due to time constraints (considering some files relating to him were still on the Brawl disc), which hopefully won't be a problem in future Smash games. Her situation is also a little different to Roy's as Awakening sold far, far better than Sword of Seals did, meaning that she has a huge fanbase outside of Smash Bros and thus giving Sakurai a greater incentive to make her a veteran. :)

If she does come back, I do hope that she is either Luigified or remade. Keeping her as she is now would be rather lazy considering that she would be developed from the ground up to be a clone, rather than to be a costume as in Smash 4.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings

I hate her. She's gonna destroy Marth.

Slushi Simcabi

Smash Cadet
That's exactly what I mean, unfortunately. Her release will be the end of Marth. She's much more competitively viable as a character than Marth has ever been.
Hold your horses now, I said that MAY be true.

Speed doesn't always mean more viable, she likely won't kill as easy as Mar Mar.

But she very well could displace marth and I understand the frustration.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Lucina being faster than Marth hasn't even been confirmed or reliably observed yet. Don't jump to conclusions about her viability compared to Marth just yet. :p

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Actually I wasn't even thinking she's faster than Marth. From what I've seen, their speed is the same. It's the tipper that gets me. Marth will be less reliable than Lucina since Lucina doesn't have to rely on Tippers. Yes, a Marth that gets Tippers will turn out better but that requires perfect spacing with each hit, something that's hard for even the best Marth users (which means it won't happen all the time).

But who knows, Sakurai could end up fine-tuning Marth's damage or knock-back so he's not so heavily focused on tippers. Or doing something to make Marth better. So maybe Lucina is a good thing for Marth because for some reason, I can't imagine Sakurai even wanting to make Lucina better than Marth.

Last edited:

Slushi Simcabi

Smash Cadet
My bad,
That was me making assumptions!

I am one of the few that believe Lucina won't be a complete clone and that her moves will be quicker less powerful versions of Marth's moveset.

I think Marth will always have a niche though, if Sakurai does his job right then truly skilled players will be able to make Marth outperform Lucina.

Edit: In fact, think of their skill levels indicative of the Fire Emblem franchise as a whole. With Awakening being more casual than most of the other games, an the older games requiring more skill to beat.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
My bad,
That was me making assumptions!

I am one of the few that believe Lucina won't be a complete clone and that her moves will be quicker less powerful versions of Marth's moveset.

I think Marth will always have a niche though, if Sakurai does his job right then truly skilled players will be able to make Marth outperform Lucina.

Edit: In fact, think of their skill levels indicative of the Fire Emblem franchise as a whole. With Awakening being more casual than most of the other games, an the older games requiring more skill to beat.
Okay yeah, I can see that. Awakening did feel a lot easier than most FE's lol. You gotta wonder though, because Marth's niche is relying on tippers making an unreliable fighter (won't always get those tippers) compared to Lucina which doesn't have to rely on tippers at all, and is actually able to do more evened out damage than Marth overall.

But like I said, I can see her actually forcing Sakurai to boost Marth up

Slushi Simcabi

Smash Cadet
Okay yeah, I can see that. Awakening did feel a lot easier than most FE's lol. You gotta wonder though, because Marth's niche is relying on tippers making an unreliable fighter (won't always get those tippers) compared to Lucina which doesn't have to rely on tippers at all, and is actually able to do more evened out damage than Marth overall.

But like I said, I can see her actually forcing Sakurai to boost Marth up
Well...

On the bright side if she receives competitive success she will continue to appear in future games. Which would basically guarantee all the FE reps we have now are coming back for more in the next installment !

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Not a fan of Lucina to be honest lol she struck me as a very depressing character in FE. Robins awesome though. Robins too unique to not keep his place in future Smash games. Lucinas a popular FE character though so she might be there to stay. I guess at least we now know that there could have been a better Marth lol

Slushi Simcabi

Smash Cadet
Not a fan of Lucina to be honest lol she struck me as a very depressing character in FE. Robins awesome though. Robins too unique to not keep his place in future Smash games. Lucinas a popular FE character though so she might be there to stay. I guess at least we now know that there could have been a better Marth lol
Well...
Her future is kinda awful, she does her best to cope with the terrible hand she had been dealt with the loss of her parents/ family/ kingdom.
She copes better than most of the future kids when compared to Owain and Cynthia, who have to basically create a fantasy where they are superheroes in order to romanticize the apocalypse they had to deal with.

It will be ironic if Lucina surpasses Marth cause she seems to idolize him a bit. Lol.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Well...
Her future is kinda awful, she does her best to cope with the terrible hand she had been dealt with the loss of her parents/ family/ kingdom.
She copes better than most of the future kids when compared to Owain and Cynthia, who have to basically create a fantasy where they are superheroes in order to romanticize the apocalypse the had to deal with.

It will be ironic if Lucina surpasses Marth cause she seems to idolize him a bit. Lol.
Yeah I guess I will give you that point. I'm honestly seeing it that way myself. Cus on the contrary, I could see Sakurai making her better literally FOR the irony. Sort of like surpassing the master. Id actually find that really cool... As much as I like Marth

Slushi Simcabi

Smash Cadet
Yeah I guess I will give you that point. I'm honestly seeing it that way myself. Cus on the contrary, I could see Sakurai making her better literally FOR the irony. Sort of like surpassing the master. Id actually find that really cool... As much as I like Marth
That would be something! Next level Sakurai idea.

Still as Marth is the flagship Lord for Fire Emblem he should be viable at the very least.

Slushi Simcabi

Smash Cadet
Link has never really been a viable character. Nor has Samus.
Hey I said should!

But yeah, it is kinda disappointing that Nintendo's most iconic characters often turn out to be the weakest.
(Peach is better than Mario AND Bowser in the past two games.... WHAT?!?!)

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Hey I said should!

But yeah, it is kinda disappointing that Nintendo's most iconic characters often turn out to be the weakest.
(Peach is better than Mario AND Bowser in the past two games.... WHAT?!?!)
Well sakurai is proving that Marth could have been made without revolving his game around the tipper (which I think would be a better Marth). So yeah, I guess the Hero-Kings on the verge of a dethrone lol

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I don't see them cutting any characters from brawl to ssb4 (minus snake for obvious reasons) or any from 4 to 5. I think sakurai wants to avoid the whole mewtwo and roy fiasco happening again. Also we don't know what'll happen in the future with fire emblem, for all we know lucina is gonna be the main lord in the next game

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I think that clones always kind of are hard to predict. On the one hand, there's the possibility that Sakurai begins to feel they aren't unique enough to keep around, but on the other they do take less work than full on original characters and might linger around for that reason specifically.

For Lucina specifically, I think Roy is pretty telling. She'll be low priority going into 5, but they will begin development with every intention of putting him in. If time runs out however...

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
She'll exist as an alt skin if nothing else.

But given her popularity, I think there's a good chance of a full return, if not being fleshed out some.

Last edited:

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
Her future will depend of several factors:

• Impact inside of her franchise. Personally, I think this is Lucina's strongest factor, it's very likely that she will be the principal lord in the next FE if Intelligent Systems wan to continue the saga of Awakening...
  • Popularity. One of the most popular characters in FE...
  • Usage in Smash (tournaments, online, etc) She has all the potential to be a great character, a quick and agressive gameplay based in one of the most used characters in the series

For this recollection (these factors have already been mentioned several times in the thread) I think that she's going to be in the next Smash and also de-cloned like Luigi and Falco

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
As others have pointed out, whether Lucina will return does depend on how her character and the Fire Emblem series proceeds with things in the interval between this coming Super Smash Bros and the Super Smash Bros to follow (given Sakurai considers the 3DS and Wii U versions SSB4 and 5 respectively, should I call the following Super Smash Bros, SSB6?) Overall though, I do not see her being a character with much priority in any case, and see her return as a lower priority one dependant on how many characters they can fit in within a time limit.

I appreciate her inclusion, mostly because I dislike the idea of different character alternative skins far more than clone characters, and recognise her as an extra that'll have taken little development time that could've been spent on including another character, but I do not think she has high chances of returning for the next SSB as things currently are.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
She would need to be incredibly popular in both Fire Emblem's future titles and in Smash 4 for anyone to even consider bringing her back, sadly enough. Right now she occupies Roy's position. A sad, lonely state to be sure. I'd love to see her return but with Smash/FE you just never know.

For example, where's Magvel adventure #2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom