• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why cant Peach players play other characters?

Katrina Love

Smash Cadet
I heard a big amout of Peach players can only play Peach. But cant really play with other characters that well or at all. Why is that? What makes her so different to a point it comes down to this? I'm just curious and wanna know.

de_gLory^

Smash Cadet
cuz peach is a skillless **** :grin:

seriously, i think peach is just too much different from other characters... her float and her dsmash specialy ..

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
This thread fails lol. I play main Peach and i secondary Fox, then Sheik then samus then mario.
But it is kinda true i guess, i think it is because people play simple with peach they find it hard with other characters to play.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't know of any Peach players of real note who can only play Peach. Mikey Lenetia plays some Zelda, Vidjo can use Fox, Cort plays Sheik and Marth...

Obviously, though, the worst idea for any new player is to start with Peach.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
It's because no one else can float cancel. With every other character you need to learn how to lcancel consistently.

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
i know wat u mean - but for me sometimes its the opposite, cuz ill use ganon and then switch to peach and feel completely handicapped since i gota adjust to the speed change or ill use peach and for some reason do wizards foot randomly, thinkin i can use a turnip...

lol

Shakugan

Smash Journeyman
we main peach there is no need for a back up when u play peach, but ican also play ice climbers and marth so this thread fails sry.

Shakugan,maybe im a lion

Cort

Apple Head
.... @ Shakugan

You realize Peach gets completely destroyed by the majority of high tiers, and then has a lot of trouble with random mid and low tiers? Peach is only good in teams and vs Ice Climbers. Versus everyone else you need to have extra characters to deal with her annoying matchups.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
.... @ Shakugan

You realize Peach gets completely destroyed by the majority of high tiers, and then has a lot of trouble with random mid and low tiers? Peach is only good in teams and vs Ice Climbers. Versus everyone else you need to have extra characters to deal with her annoying matchups.
Yea, truth be told. Though she can beat these other characters. High/Top tiers she can beat. But its no cake walk. its tuff. Which is why Most Peach players switch it up for the fights. Dont mean she cant beat them o that the player cant. They could but its just too hard for her. So they wanna make thier match easier. See? I see that now. But I'll still go Peach Thats just me. Just cause you see me go Peach on everyone dont mean its easy for me, even if I win. Cause its not. I struggle like hell. The only good thing I get out of it is that I have LOTS of experience against these characters to make it almost equal as if I was to Pick another character for the fight. Still dont mean its easy.

And For this thread, There are Peach players that cant use others. Reasons are like what Ankoku said. Most players stated off as Peach and used her alot. ( I am one of thoe people.) And the fact they are not use to L-cancel. Its all FC. Those with Peach you need to L-cancel. Just not so much like the other characters. Her ledge up Sucks. Unlike other characters who can wave dash on the stage or attack on it. Her wavedash is also Bad. So most Peach players dont use it.

So pretty much what Peach Lacks and needs, the other characters have. And it just feels wierd to them. Its like a whole new ball game. And something I guess tuff to get use too. And the person can learn others. But it will be hard to win with. I think People need to look at what it means to play with others. Learning the character and Using them as if they mained them and win matches with them. Cause it not all that Hard to learn them. But to use them well in a fight and etc. is another story.

And Rumor has it that Most Peach players in this case can play a good Zelda. *shrugs* I can

Shakugan

Smash Journeyman
.... @ Shakugan

i know this cort, thanks for keeping it fresh in my mind. if im up vs a really good marth i go sheik so always learn characters it could help

Shakugan,maybe im a lion. i hope i can play u at pound 3 cort

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
i agree with cort - cuz my frends are all like "u main peach ill get pwned" but usually i have better chances sometimes using ganon against top tiers which is crazy but true. even though peach is fun i usually fear of pwnage...like G&W can own u sometimes wit the crazy Airs...but peach still holds her own spot at ownage sometimes.

and same with wat dark.pch said all my friends main top tiers but can play almost evry character like its their main...me on the other hand its just Ganon/Peach. if i try to use some1 like...CF i feel like its the first time i played the game lol.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I can play other characters, but it's probably because Peach is such an awkward character, that the average peach player has a hard time playing other characters. I play IC's, Y. Link, and Roy. I'm trying to learn Shiek....but I just don't have the heart for it. I've still got a lot to learn, though. Plus, because I play Roy the most out of all of them, I don't have a problem with it.

Ame- "So that's it? What a guy....this is gonna be tough."

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
I think it's just because of her playstyle:

Her turnip is a spammable move that doesn't require fast fingers like SHL. This led me to a bad habit. I've (retardedly) switched from Peach to, say, Marth or Jigglypuff for a match, and I couldn't get out of the habit of pressing down-B when I couldn't follow up a combo anymore. With Marth I felt stupid and with Jiggs I... well I died.

Her DJC, float, and float cancel make her aerial game completely different from other characters. I never short hop and I barely l-cancel. I think I've become too reliant on Instafloat and FC.

Her D-smash allows Peach players to spam a move when they're in doubt. Falcon trying to approach you from below a platform? D-smash. Fox or Falco getting too close and aggressive? D-smash. Few other characters have such a clutch move that they can use whenever they want to save their ***.

Edit: Btw, I don't only play Peach either. My secondary is Boozer. I like 'em both because they rely more on mindgames and preciseness than pure tech skill.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Heh, that's a good one. The other thing is that, I think most players can overcome that if they just practice doing those things with Peach. Practice SHFFLing Nairs and Bairs and such. It helps. Although, there are just certain things....the turnip is one, xD.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
Cort and Dark Peach: What are you guys talking about, peach is really good in singles, top tier especially. I mean, when it comes down to the advanced players (pros, pretty much), she does have trouble, but most mid ranged players can't really handle a peach. There are better selections, don't get me wrong, but Peach is a great pick for singles.

Peach is one of the few characters that can lead a 0-death combo that wins. imo anyways.

Oh, and more on topic with the thread, I can't agree. I play Peach, Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik, M2, Ganon, and ICs. I main Fox, but seriously it depends on the person.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Look at what you said...mid range players.

I;m talking about high Level of Play. Peach in a big tournament. When was the last time you heard Peach win one of those. She is very hard to win with in a tournament. Thats why People mostly Pick all the other characters over her. and thats all you see in tournaments.

I'm not saying she is a bad Character. I love Peach. She is very fun to use. and is why I only go as Peach in tournaments. I could use others if I wanted to, but I dont and dont find it fun. Thats just me. I weaken my chances to go far in tournaments......oh well.....

Point is, its way to hard at high level of play and all the characters above her counter her.....expect Falco.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
Dark Peach:: High level of play included. You are on top alot, Cort, I mean you yourself set an example against what you said. And over on the west, Light (possibly the best peach I've ever seen) sticks up to all top tiers, competitive play included. Peach is a good character against most of the top tiers.

Fox Falco - Good matchup overrall
Marth - You have me there
Sheik - Peach is even with her, still good imo
IC's - Not entirely sure

I mean, those are common, way common, and peach sticks up to them pretty well. I think Peach is a dying breed tho, because you get bad looks playing her. But Peach is a great pick against top tiers, mid ranged I was saying she pwns, a mid ranged peach vs any mid ranged player = Peach pwnage. Of course, all of this is just my opinion, I could be very wrong.

Cort

Apple Head
At high level of play Peach is essentially useless except in Peach dittos/vs Ice Climbers.

In teams it's a slightly different story.

You can discuss matchups on all levels of gameplay and get completely different results every time. It's silly to discuss >_>

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I heard a big amout of Peach players can only play Peach. But cant really play with other characters that well or at all. Why is that? What makes her so different to a point it comes down to this? I'm just curious and wanna know.
hey look, another brawl baby out of the woodworks.

Awesome.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
I am going to have to agree with you Cort, my stupid mouth opens sometimes... I'll fix it someday.

So. I'm done.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Cort is right, unless you're completely used to the matchup. It's debatable BECAUSE of that. *sigh* Peach is a character that is just....odd. She can own, but she can get owned just as easily, if not easier. What else to say, but this is just up in the air, lol. Peach can get ***** by falco, but peach can just as well **** falco. Same could be said for a Fox if the Peach plays smart enough. All in the air, to a degree. I'm gonna have to agree with Cort though, lol. And I <3 Peach.

Ivoryshadows

Smash Cadet
HAHA! This whole topic makes me want to laugh. It is possible to MAIN Peach and destroy any "Top or High Tier" character. I do it all the time, if I had a camera I would show you. Though it is highly possible to do this it is tough(sometimes). And back to the original question of the topic, I find it extremely easy to switch to other players. I can switch from Peach to Zelda, to Fox and even to Ganondorf. Any combination of them.

It doesn't matter if your person is on the "Top or High" section of the list because its not about the character. Its the player. Yoshi, Zelda, and Ness might be on the bottom of the tier but my two best friends are the best Yoshi and Ness players I have ever seen(while I am probably one of the best Zeldas) and I am talking about a Top Level of playing: L-canceling, wavedashing, spikes, short hops, tech dodging, down dodging etc etc. The Tier list is a bunch of bull, its about who you play with, and train with all the time to get good.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Lol, while you're right, that's why Cort said it's debatable. You have to KNOW the matchup. Even then, the person's style comes into play. Why do I do better against Eggm, than Reik? I haven't any clue. I just respond better to Eggm's style. Peach DOES have a hard time against the higher tier characters. It's not bull, it's just fact. The Tier List isn't based on who is the best or not, it's based upon tournament results. Do you see a bunch of Yoshi, Ness and Zelda victories that bring you to the finals and winning tournaments? I'm honestly sorry if I sound...mean. I'm just stating that the Tier List comment is a wee bit...well off. Best example...why is Marth High Tier and Roy Low? Marth is the better character. Roy sucks as a character. (Roy is my best Secondary mind you) You need to know this in order to be really good with them and progress. I believe Gimpy Fish went through this already. I'd go further, but I'm at work, and break is ova, peace!!!

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I think the main point Cort is saying is you wont be beating Ken, Azen M2K or any other extremely good Marth with a peach or any other extremely good High Tier.
Peach is not good in HIGH LEVEL PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ivoryshadows

Smash Cadet
Don't be sorry it wasn’t mean. People are allowed to have different opinions.

And your both right you don't see them ranking high in tournaments.

Top Bottom