• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are melee vs. brawl threads tabuu?

viparagon

Smash Ace
Link to original post: [drupal=791]Why are melee vs. brawl threads tabuu?[/drupal]

I made one yesterday and it was immediately banned. why? because it has been done before. And every other post on the page hadn't? In the general courtesy sticky, it mentions them as tabuu, yet offers no explanation as to why.I just don't see whats wrong with a valid discussion comparing the too games, as we compare just about anything else (characters, attacks, stages, etc.). I've asked mods, sith no response. Does anyone else have a problem with this?

and lol if this is banned...

paulleh

Smash Apprentice
yeah i agree with blooqkazoo, most brawl vs. melee thread are all about melee fanatics going MELEE ROOLZ BECAUSE THERZ WAVEDASHING then there's brawl fanatics going BRAWL ROOLZ BECAUSE ITZ EASYR.
But yeah you're right, those threads don't deserve to be banned. I enjoy reading them for the lulz

JuanTendo

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssb-juantendo
3DS FC
2750-1216-1018
Switch FC
SW 3345 4602 0138
its no taboo at all...people just have and need to understand that melee and brawl are totally different games.

viparagon

Smash Ace
yeah, but others like mine are completely innocent. Mine asked about what people liked about the transition from melee to brawl? how does that create flame wars? the tier list discussion thread did more than that, and that was a sticky

Denzi

Smash Master
No idea, but someone always turns it into one.

@ your example: The transition SUCKED because Melee is a better game.
Yeah? Well...

See?

Cinder

Smash Master
yes, but to argue that nothing GOOD came out of the transiton is false
That depends on your viewpoint...overall, yes, there are more characters, more detailed graphics, more stages, stage builder, and online...but to a competitive player like myself, none of that matters...so to most competitive players, nothing good (worthwhile) came out of it...

viparagon

Smash Ace
That depends on your viewpoint...overall, yes, there are more characters, more detailed graphics, more stages, stage builder, and online...but to a competitive player like myself, none of that matters...so to most competitive players, nothing good (worthwhile) came out of it...
stale moves? reverse ledge grab(tho that doesn't matter too much)
don't new characters help?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
yes, but to argue that nothing GOOD came out of the transiton is false
Quoted for a truthful reply to a false statement.

'Good' is an opinion. Thus, it's hard to make any sort of judgment over something good coming out of it.

Honestly, I don't find any of Brawl's new features and whatever to be good. The music is the only improvement over Melee, and the cons of Brawl are so great to me that it doesn't make the transition good, still.

stale moves? reverse ledge grab(tho that doesn't matter too much)
don't new characters help?
A) Stale moves - Just look it up on the SmashWiki. It was in the original and in Melee, just slightly different in Brawl.

B) Reverse ledge grab (a.k.a. auto-sweetspotting) - This is arguably one of the worst things to come out of the transition. If you don't understand this...lurk moar.

C) New characters - No, they actually hurt. There are broken characters like MK and Snake (albeit there were characters like that in Melee). Also, the more characters there are the more unbalanced things are. After all, it's easier to make sure twenty-five characters are leveled out than thirty-five.

But anyways, to answer the topic, Melee vs. Brawl threads are not allowed because they turn into flame wars. It's inevitable. Even this thread will probably turn into a flame war eventually. Essentially, by asking your question of what a person likes from the transition of Melee to Brawl, you're asking what people like about Brawl better than Melee. Then there are the inevitable Melee fans who go in saying "Nothing.", or saying the transition was bad, and then you've got the inevitable Brawl noob who takes it upon themselves to question the person who likes Melee and say they're nuts for thinking Brawl has no benefits (or maybe vice versa -- a Brawl supporter saying something, a Melee supporter countering it), and before you know it, intelligent and stupid, noobs and veterans...they're all joining in the fight, and it turns vicious and into a flame war.

Cinder

Smash Master
Something tells me he's gonna say no... might be his avatar.
Are you inside mah head or something?

But seriously...yeah...I don't play games just because it has more characters...the competitive quality was ruined, and thus, I personally don't like it *points to avatar*

EDIT: Dayum, Firus...once again, I'm impressed...

viparagon

Smash Ace
Are you inside mah head or something?

But seriously...yeah...I don't play games just because it has more characters...the competitive quality was ruined, and thus, I personally don't like it *points to avatar*

EDIT: Dayum, Firus...once again, I'm impressed...
like your avatar. in any case, the stale moves system waas overhauled for brawl and is better IMO. How exactly is melee more balanced? (tho don't want this to spark a whole debate) marths dominance rating as u probably know is 55% as compared to meta's 35%

Cinder

Smash Master
like your avatar. in any case, the stale moves system waas overhauled for brawl and is better IMO. How exactly is melee more balanced? (tho don't want this to spark a whole debate) marths dominance rating as u probably know is 55% as compared to meta's 35%
Show me these statistics...because as far as I'm concerned, you're just blowing random figures out your *** to sound smarter than you really are...

Unlike MK, Marth isn't an almost-guaranteed win against lower-tiers...and a ******** monkey could use MK and destroy a Ganon, but I **** my friend's Marth with bottom tiers I rarely use...

viparagon

Smash Ace
Show me these statistics...because as far as I'm concerned, you're just blowing random figures out your *** to sound smarter than you really are...

Unlike MK, Marth isn't an almost-guaranteed win against lower-tiers...and a ******** monkey could use MK and destroy a Ganon, but I **** my friend's Marth with bottom tiers I rarely use...
w/e none of this is pertinent to the topic at hand

M15t3R E

Smash Master
It's already been said that these threads turn into flame wars most of the time.

SWF's purpose is to be the homebase of knowledge for both games (as well as SSB64) and we don't need either side dissing either game. It leads to nothing positive or progressive.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
I love how this topic is turning into a flame war, while everyone is talking about how these turn into flame wars.

Jesus christ, people. Let the melee guys play melee, we can play Brawl. I see NO reason why we can't all get along in one big, happy, smash brothers family.

viparagon

Smash Ace
I love how this topic is turning into a flame war, while everyone is talking about how these turn into flame wars.

Jesus christ, people. Let the melee guys play melee, we can play Brawl. I see NO reason why we can't all get along in one big, happy, smash brothers family.
thats wat i was saying. all my points are valid tho, and it was asking opinions, not facts

Johnny Pteran

Smash Journeyman
Things like this turn into flame wars because Melee fanatics run in here and start saying Melee is better with their sarcastic remarks, then the Brawl guys try to defend Brawl, and then it turns into a big argument.

Melee guys, gtfo of the Brawl forums, and peace will be restored.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
^Posts like that also start flame wars. Seriously, shut up. You're not helping the brawl cause AT ALL.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
To answer your question, Melee vs. Brawl topics are taboo because they generally don't progress anything, except for dislike. They ALWAYS turn into a flame war, no matter how innocent they begin. If you want to know why, it's because someone always starts something, like say Bob says that Melee sucks. A Melee player proceeds to correct him, while continuing the original discussion. Then a few more people join, and then more, and more, and MORE until the whole thing is a big problem. (A classic example is the two posts above mine, a person that doesn't know their place says something, and then someone responds)

I would imagine during this whole time, people are reporting people for "offensive" statements, and guess what, the people that recieve the reports are to my knowledge moderators or administrators, and seeing a bunch of people reporting people in a single thread will get that thread closed. After some time, the moderators and everyone else start to see that these sort of topics are spam, and are just worthless. So, what happens is that the whole subject is banned, and that's basically it. (IMO)

Cinder

Smash Master
Melee guys, gtfo of the Brawl forums, and peace will be restored.
Wow...just...wow...

You act like you're the innocent little victims here...you act like we don't get Brawltards (and no, I don't call ALL Brawlers Brawltards...just the fanatics that have no idea what they're talking about) coming into the Melee forums and pulling the exact same ****...please, stop acting like Brawlers are saints and Melee-ers are demons...you guys are no better or worse than us...so please, gtfo off the Melee forums...

Blooqkazoo

Smash Journeyman
Wow...just...wow...

You act like you're the innocent little victims here...you act like we don't get Brawltards (and no, I don't call ALL Brawlers Brawltards...just the fanatics that have no idea what they're talking about) coming into the Melee forums and pulling the exact same ****...please, stop acting like Brawlers are saints and Melee-ers are demons...you guys are no better or worse than us...so please, gtfo off the Melee forums...
You're helping. Gtfo

Psst, guys let's keep going in circles so we get more post counts.

Cinder

Smash Master
Yeah lawl.

No but seriously, you flame Brawl all the time. You shouldn't be talking either.
At least I don't go into the Brawl boards to do it...

And that reminds me...why did you feel the need to remind us why we have such an "unhealthy" obsession with Melee in our own board?

All I'm saying is to stop acting like you're so innocent and that the Melee-ers are out to get you...you're no better than me or anyone else...

Johnny Pteran

Smash Journeyman
At least I don't go into the Brawl boards to do it...

And that reminds me...why did you feel the need to remind us why we have such an "unhealthy" obsession with Melee in our own board?

All I'm saying is to stop acting like you're so innocent and that the Melee-ers are out to get you...you're no better than me or anyone else...
Because you did lol. I bet you have a golden statue in your living room with the Melee game cover carved into it, the way you talk about Melee.

And actually, I am better, because I don't obsess over Melee like you do. Teehee~

viparagon

Smash Ace
because You Did Lol. I Bet You Have A Golden Statue In Your Living Room With The Melee Game Cover Carved Into It, The Way You Talk About Melee.

And Actually, I Am Better, Because I Don't Obsess Over Melee Like You Do. Teehee~
Pleaseshut Up! Ur Embarassing Everyone But Cinder

Top Bottom