• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Approach?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
This is probably very wrong. I'm very tired and this will make very little sense I very expect.
VERY.

Anywayz: Why Approach?

I mean, isn't it safer to work out every way your opponent could possibly approach you (SHFFL'd Aerials, Dash Attack, Wave-dashed Attack... That's about it), and just interrupt it with a Bair, Nair or Shine, then don't follow up, just rinse and repeat?

I honestly can't see an opponent easily getting through this. Fox is just too safe.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Camping is certainly viable ... just boring
~_~
Besides, I don't think camping is the best strategy anyways. Fox still has enough vulnerability that people can trick you if you're doing aerials in place, and if you just retreat you run out of stage. At some point you have to approach or else your back is to the ledge and your options are quite limited once you reach that point.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Of course it is boring, that's the obvious reason not to camp.

Fox should be fast enough to run away if he is pushed to close to the edge.

I just don't see why people take the chance of approaching when I feel Fox has the potential to just turtle the whole match with lasers, nair, bair and shine.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Plenty of characters can **** you if you choose to go this route.

Falco comes to mind.

You can't out-camp Falco.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Even though it's true that Fox has ways of beating any possible approach option, human reaction time isn't nearly good enough so that you can beat their approaches purely on reaction. This makes the approach/counter approach game based on baiting and mixups.

If you let the opponent get better control of the stage and of the engagement every time because you just sit there waiting for them, you are at a disadvantage.

Fox's speed doesn't let him magically teleport to the other side of the stage. If a Marth pushes you to one side of the stage, you're going to have to fight while cornered, go through him, or go above him, none of which are great places to be.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
this strategy works against most low tier characters, but is pretty risky against high tiers. basically if you end up in a tourney match against like a mario or a ness or whatever and you dont know the matchup, platform camp bairs will probably work (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFZ1UGeNYqc )

Moooose

Smash Champion
here's how the game works
you fake approach
they counter your fake approach
you dashdance back in and hit them

ChaosNoobSlayer

Smash Cadet
Even though it's true that Fox has ways of beating any possible approach option, human reaction time isn't nearly good enough so that you can beat their approaches purely on reaction. This makes the approach/counter approach game based on baiting and mixups.

If you let the opponent get better control of the stage and of the engagement every time because you just sit there waiting for them, you are at a disadvantage.

Fox's speed doesn't let him magically teleport to the other side of the stage. If a Marth pushes you to one side of the stage, you're going to have to fight while cornered, go through him, or go above him, none of which are great places to be.
You are spitting sooo much bull**** right now. I dont think you did anything to remotely be able to back up your claim of human reaction time not being able to punish approaches.

First of all you can narrow down the approach by the positioning of the two characters. and you only have to punish them when they are at a frame disadvantage from attacking, you dont need to out space or beat out all or any of their moves although on occasions that is very plausible.

LOL @ lovages quad post. He probably didnt even get an infraction either.....Bias ftw.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
You are spitting sooo much bull**** right now. I dont think you did anything to remotely be able to back up your claim of human reaction time not being able to punish approaches.

First of all you can narrow down the approach by the positioning of the two characters. and you only have to punish them when they are at a frame disadvantage from attacking, you dont need to out space or beat out all or any of their moves although on occasions that is very plausible.

LOL @ lovages quad post. He probably didnt even get an infraction either.....Bias ftw.
so what's your explanation for why people ever get hit by approaches?

PK Webb

Smash Champion
becuz to get better u most larn both offensive and defensive tactics.....when i played zhu in pools @ apex he said "if all u do in camp how can u win. All you r doin is waiting for me to mess up and punish but what if i rarely mess up (top pro or sum1 wit beast tech skill)...ur gonna get ***** but if ur a pressuring them ur not waiting for them to make a mistake ur forcing them to make mistakes......u gotta try to pressure the sum time in this age of smash u cant run foreva" ever since then ive rilly been workin on tryna mix offense and defense and i see alot of progress with doin that.....

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
becuz to get better u most larn both offensive and defensive tactics.....when i played zhu in pools @ apex he said "if all u do in camp how can u win. All you r doin is waiting for me to mess up and punish but what if i rarely mess up (top pro or sum1 wit beast tech skill)...ur gonna get ***** but if ur a pressuring them ur not waiting for them to make a mistake ur forcing them to make mistakes......u gotta try to pressure the sum time in this age of smash u cant run foreva" ever since then ive rilly been workin on tryna mix offense and defense and i see alot of progress with doin that.....
Because to get better you must learn both offensive and defensive tactics..... When I played Zhu in pools at Apex he said "if all you do is camp how can you win? All you are doing is waiting for me to mess up and punish, but what if I rarely mess up? (top pro or someone with beast tech skill)... You're gonna get *****, but if you're pressuring them you're not waiting for them to make a mistake you're forcing them to make mistakes...... You gotta try to pressure them some time in this age of smash. You can't run forever." Ever since then I've really been working on trying to mix offense and defense and I see alot of progress with doing that.....

I'm not normally one to grammar nazi, but.... Good, god man. That was HORRIBLE.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
idk it depends on the stage lol

running away and lasering exclusively? it's viable on poke floats... and maybe like dreamland. but usually you just get trapped if you try to be a *****. especially on FD

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
fox approach sux. he cant ever approach marth. The only characters he can be reasonably aggro against are like falcon and peach.

I might quit fox simply because i hate the campiness.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I think the question you mean to ask is "why attack"

why closing in on someone doesn't necessarily equate to attacking.

IMHHO

Top Bottom