• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why A Tier List Is Not For Brawl!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
It's not just how often they're used, it's how often they are used with successful results, i.e. how often they are used to own with.

vonfinell

Smash Apprentice
Tiers R, quite frankly, 4 Queers. They create contempt towards people that played high tier characters in Melee (like little old Sheik-main me) and also crap all over those that played low tier (like Mewtwo and Bowser players)
Everything is so balanced out in Brawl that even if you made a tier list the difference between Metaknight and Ganondorf would be miniscule at best. (Well okay, maybe not Ganondorf, but that's just my personal biased as hell opinion as a Ganondorf hater.)
So the tier list in unecessary. However, people will still make one. It will still live on and people will still treat it like the Bible like they did in Melee.

Oh well, some things you just can't change. Maybe Geno will blow up Japan and this will all be over with anyway.

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
Tiers R, quite frankly, 4 Queers. They create contempt towards people that played high tier characters in Melee (like little old Sheik-main me) and also crap all over those that played low tier (like Mewtwo and Bowser players)
Everything is so balanced out in Brawl that even if you made a tier list the difference between Metaknight and Ganondorf would be miniscule at best. (Well okay, maybe not Ganondorf, but that's just my personal biased as hell opinion as a Ganondorf hater.)
So the tier list in unecessary. However, people will still make one. It will still live on and people will still treat it like the Bible like they did in Melee.

Oh well, some things you just can't change. Maybe Geno will blow up Japan and this will all be over with anyway.
Oh great, someone else watched the Smash Kingdom Melee flash video and believes the message that was put in there. Like there really needs to be any more fuel for this fire... :urg:

Wanna show us where players like Gimplyfish (Bowser user) and Taj (Mewtwo user) got "crapped" on for playing characters near the bottom of the tier list? As for Brawl being so balanced, there's already talks about how it might not be as balanced as it first seems to be. For example, I seen talks of Yoshi being bottom tier. Should the meta game ever be more fully developed, this balance might not be there. Even if it turns out this game is very balanced, there will still be a tier list, regardless of the gap between bottom and top tier is small.

Otherwise, I don't feel like repeating what has been beaten to death in this thread already. If Geno did blow up Japan, well, there's still the rest of the world to go over this issue.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Exactly. They don't. People just list them according to how much they are used in tourneys. N one used Mewtwo in Melee, thus he was said to be horrible. My brother is really good with Mewtwo though, so I don't see how that works. -.-

Tiers are just opinions, and an official tier list is many people's opinions put together. In general: Tiers are useless in every shape and form. Never rely on tiers for which character to use!
So... mewtwo was underused, so there were only 20 million people using him as opposed to 200 million using sheik. Hyperbole obviously, but you get the point, there were even more in the earliest days of melee since mewtwo was one of the "cool" characters initially.

Unfortunately... he lacked all the attributes of a high-tiered character (aka, not losing out in 90% of match-ups by a massive margin) and people moved away, but there always was a considerable number of mewtwo players who could've come up with new tactics.

bryloom

Smash Rookie
Oh my. While I do believe that tiers are for brawl, I do not understand why people are suggesting 5-6 different tiers. Brawl would more than likely have 3 tiers. 4 tops. As opposed to Melee's 5 or so.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
So is Taj, but this is no way means Mewtwo is a good character. If you don't understand the existence of tiers, you should not be playing competitive fighting games.
So, I have no right to play a competitive game because I have my opinions?

I fail to see logic in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom