• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who's the better capcom rep for brawl

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i was thinking about capcom and about what character sakurai would want from them. at first i thought megaman, and then i realized that ryu from street fighter would also be an excellent capcom rep. both are video game icons, both are good fighters, and both would bring something interesting to brawl if they were included.

so what i wanted to know was who do you think would be a better capcom character for brawl, ryu or megaman?

Fawriel

Smash Master
I don't particularly care about both, but... a fighting game character in a fighting game is so.............. ordinary?

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
well smash is more of a platformer/fighting game rather then a 2D fighter which ryu is from. so he would play differently, and his specials would be alot easier to execute. if he made it in though, i would never stop playing him

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
i like megaman better, having played his games and ryu's, and i think that mega man would add to the diversity among the characters, i mean, a virtual pet/fighter or a street fighter. plus, i can't envision ryu in brawl...

EazyP

Smash Ace
Ryu with skins of Ken, Akuma and most importantly, Dan Hibiki (OMG DAN HIBIKI ^_^)

Since I started out the fighting scene with Street Fighter, and still play it constantly to this day, I'm so incredibly down for whupping all your ***** with one of the originators

Snakebite

Smash Journeyman
Well ryu is a pritty popular name, even by capcom standards.
I Can see megaman as having the best chance out of all the capcom mascots getting in, seing that he is well known.

All though, I would really really like to see Ryu from the Breath of fire series make an appearance seing that capcom decided to ditch the Breath of fire series it would be nice to see a bof character. I am highly doubtful though seing that Breath of fire is not well known. Poor breath of fire........

Toasty!

Smash Journeyman
I think Megaman is more known over the world than Ryu. Megaman was one of Capcoms Early and Best Successes, as Segas was Sonic.

jonkil

Smash Apprentice
id have to say that megaman would be a better choice then ryu. since he already has a move set for street fighter people would try and play him like that and not the smash way. now same thing with mega man since he was in marvel vs capcom but he wasnt played as much as ryu has been so people would be able to get used to his move set easier. but if they did put ryu id never stop playing as him with my hadukens and swoukens lol

Grimwolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grimwolff
mega man is pretty much the capcom mascot. The original mega man games were also exclusive to nintendo and snes in the early years while street fighter was on snes and genesis.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
I would go with Megaman, Ryu is a awesome choice but fans of him in Street Fighter will be dissapointed by how different the gameplay between Super Smash Bros. and Street Fighter are.

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . .I find this odd that your limating this to 2 characters when they have a huge amount that could be choosen from.:dizzy:

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
yeah I think Megaman would make a better choice imo. I'm not dissing Ryu because myself I am a street fighter fan and played a bunch of street fighter games, but i personally think that MegaMan would have more of a chance in that he is a more recognized character and that he was in alot of snes games had strated out in nintendo

JCrash

Smash Rookie
I would have to pick megaman because he fits better in the game plus Ryu..?lol imagine the kid ryu XD lol the one from the puzzle games :chuckle:

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
Megaman WILL be in Brawl. No doubt about it.
Yeah... :psycho:

Let's think here a bit....

1. The only character that we KNOW thats in brawl besies the ones revealed is Sonic, because Sakurai knows that he is the top most wanted character.

2. Well, since theres two counting Sonic, there's a chance that there will only BE two.

3. If there is another slot left open for a third 3rd party character, Megaman has large competition.

Sorry if that pushed you a bit, but i don't like it when someone says that someone IS in brawl besides the confirmed characters (with the exception of Sonic, because i believe he was the most wanted character in his poll, and i bet even if it was the Masked Salesman he would put him/her/it in.)

EazyP

Smash Ace
I would go with Megaman, Ryu is a awesome choice but fans of him in Street Fighter will be dissapointed by how different the gameplay between Super Smash Bros. and Street Fighter are.
Oh yeah, Street Fighter fans would completely not understand that Brawl is a different fighting game from Street Fighter and get angry and break/hate on Brawl. I mean, we all know Ryu handles and plays exactly the same in every Street Fighter with no tweaks or changes at all

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
first off, ryu could fit in smash ok. the only real thing that would change would be a platforming element added to ryu, which could only help to increase the character's notoriety, and maybe set him up for a new 3D fighter, just a thought.
secondly, i think that saying he just wouldn't fit in brawl is not really an excuse, considering characters like snake, fox, captain falcon. these are people not known for platforming skill but fit in non-the-less
thirdly, being a mega ryu fan, i would love to see him make an appearance...

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Ryu is indeed awesome, but I'd have to go with Megaman on this one. Just personal preference if nothing else.

Ok, maybe something else. As was said before, the original Megaman games started on the SNES and were Nintendo exclusives up till Megaman X4 I believe. If I'm wrong on that, somebody please correct me.

But yeah, Megaman FTW!

Stryks

Smash Hero
Megaman

Seriously hes capcom mascot, adding ryu and not the mascot is like adding umm idk shadow instead of sonic, megaman will be the one capcom will choose in case they can have a character in brawl...

Brawler

Smash Rookie
i was looking over a list of capcom games, and the only one that i really saw were the megaman games. imo megaman should be in brawl to rep capcom.

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
I'd pick ryu, but I'd doubt he's get in over megaman.

BTW, he wouldn't really need any tweaks at all, maybe just an down-b attack. He's got the platforming skills, just look at his super jumps in MvC2

YangFuShang

Smash Apprentice
i'd pick megaman, he be most realistic to the game rather than ryu. He could be like a guy samus sorta i guess?

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
in response to people saying ryu is not a mascot, i have to remind you that the street fighter series was the father of fighting games. this makes ryu the father and sort of the mascot of fighting games, next to scorpion from MK but he came later. and it wouldn't be like letting shadow in over sonic, it would be like letting another sega character completely unrelated series into brawl over sonic, and even then that is a bit of a stretch considering that ryu is just was popular as the ORIGINAL megaman is. this isn't counting any of the series that came afterwards. the only reason megaman is the mascot is that they kept restarting the series.

and for his down b, i would give ryu an energy mode, or focus Ki, which would double the damage he gives and takes.

incidentally i am going to start a ryu support thread

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
As much as I'd rather see somebody from Street Fighter, if anyone from Capcom gets in it will definitely be Megaman. Megaman is to Capcom what Mario is to Nintendo.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Even though ryu is from fighting game its more likely megaman will be in (I would prefer megaman X though -.-)

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
why ryu instead of guile, chun li, ken?? hes no better/different than any of those. Megaman is different because he's had hundreds of his own games/spinoffs.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
which megaman are you talking about exactly blue, because there are allot of different main characters that make up the megaman series so yer argument falls flat there.

Ryu is the main character out of this fighting series, partially because he is the most balanced character, and im not sure, but i am pretty sure he was the main character in the cartoon/anime/comic series.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Yhea Ryu is the main character of that series (and he is very similar to Mario) (With fireballs and being balanced) but seeing as this is smash bros its most likely capcoms mascot will be in there.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
in one of the anime movies chun li was the main character, and in the live action movie guile was the main character. ryu is one of many street fighter characters that doesnt stand out.

im talking about the original mm because all the other games are a spin off of himso he is obviously the main of the series

Conker1

Smash Ace
Ryu(and Ken) are the only ones to be in all the Street Fighter Games. Guile was in 2. Chun-Li was in 3.

Each game has a different main character..kinda.

Street Fighter - Ryu
Street fighter 2 - Guile
Street Fighter Alpha - Charlie?
Street Fighter 3 - Alex

Top Bottom