• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who's the better capcom rep for brawl

dantemasta

Smash Apprentice
Megaman is not old and tired, you guys are douches....seriously your talking about megaman, as far as megaman vs samus goes.. you cant compare the two..they are like link and dk just dont try it (even tho dk owns that one) but ya ryu is a joke...and doesnt deserved to be mentioned with megaman.... The sickness tier list looks something like this

Mario
Pikachu

High

Dk
Link
Samus

Mid

Peach
Luigi
Bowser

Low

blah
blah
blah

EXTREMELY LOW

ryu
So low that even a parasite's nutsack is higher

Megaman

Fawriel

Smash Master
...something makes me doubt that Sakurai will let a hero of Resident frikkin Evil into Smash. I mean, sure, Snake fought evil organizations and all and killed some people, but...

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
for the record, ryu would destroy megaman so bad it wouldn't even be funny. in fact if ryu made it in and they did the character right i could see him being in the top of the tier list. oh and DK pwnz everyone you put on that sickness tier list with a baseball bat to the face and groin, except for ryu which would play out like superman vs. doomsday, where they both kill each other

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
RE is a way better series than megaman and a new one is coming to Wii while megaman is stuck in rehashed hanheld games.
this is just your opinion i know many who would disagree. Plus there are still original mm games comin out, a remake on the ps3, a vc game on the Wii, and possibly the highly anticipated MM9 on the Wii

And that is good according to you that's why the series is pretty much dead nowadays is been milked to hell and lacking real improvements in gameplay.
Yes it is good to be able to have 6 titles on just one console. Not only does it show how popular he was, it shows that he has a lot of history with nintendo (much more than any other Capcom franchise).For the reasons listed above the series is not dead but alive and kicking

Samus inferior to megaman? Metroid is actually a top class series and no a kiddy robot is not superior to a badass bountyhunter.
top class series...lol...again just an opion based comment. My friend is a die hard samus fan yet he cant stand any of her games past the snes. and what badass bounty hunter manages to get crushed and lose all of her weapons at the start of EVERY GAME, stupid blonde

People have literally been shot/stabbed/beaten/killed for this ****

I doubt MegaMan has that kind of following
Maybe Mega Man fans wouldn't shoot you for saying that about him, but thats just because were not stupid. But I can assure you MM has a massive cult following that is very loyal. How do you think capcom keeps selling these lackluster titles (.exe series imo)?

So low that even a parasite's nutsack is higher

Megaman
Regardless of what idiotic comments you noobs make, we all know MM has the greatest chance to appear in Brawl. Facts are facts.

for the record, ryu would destroy megaman so bad it wouldn't even be funny. in fact if ryu made it in and they did the character right i could see him being in the top of the tier list. oh and DK pwnz everyone you put on that sickness tier list with a baseball bat to the face and groin, except for ryu which would play out like superman vs. doomsday, where they both kill each other
Ryu destroy MM? hahaha lol. have you ever played MvC? Its so easy to crush ryu with megaman, he basically has automatic hadukens, its just one button lol

I say Ryu should stick to his own fighting game, and Megaman would be a Samus clone.

Leon ftw!
Look at Grim Lizards post on the page before about why he thinks samus is better. a lot of the moves he lists are moves mm cant do. plus the are plenty of mm moves that samus cant do. plus there is no zero suit mega man, so there is NO WAY they can be clones. But now that you mention it...it would be pretty easy for Snake and Leon to be clones wouldn't it. Two military/police fighting guys who mostly use guns and explosives in mature games toned down to just explosive for smash.....hmmmmmmmmm

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
actually the third party character with the greatest chance is sonic, not megaman. and then sakurai has allot of interest in geno as an addition so that could bump megaman down to character with third greatest chance. and then you have the other wanted third party characters that tie with megaman, two biggest ones i know of are simon belmont and bomberman as far as characters with fan backings go

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
lol i cant believe there are ryu fan boys...he is a ken clone himself...or vice verca either way they both suck..
but check this out...

STRAIGHT TO THE FACTS

Megaman vs samus - megaman 27 million sold, Samus (metroid) 13 million
Megaman Vs Ryu (Street fighter) - 27 million sold, Ryu (Street fighter)- 25 million also note megaman being a title character*

gg

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I could somewhat see Megaman as a bit of a Samus/Kirby clone (if they actually go with the ability copy thing...) My guess would be that he'll be a bit faster and less floater than Samus, he won't have a long grapple move, down+B would have to be something else since he doesn't turn into a ball, and I don't know what side+B be, scissor shot???

As for Ryu,, he himself would probably be a Mario/Luigi clone... Hadoken being Luigi-like fireball, Up+B = Obviously... And that spinning kick, that could be Mario's Down+B, just with legs instead of arms... Though, nothing can be done with the cape/misfire...

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
ok ken was originally a clone of ryu, but by SF2 they played completely different, ken being luigified so-to-speak. next, is that 27 million sold from just the classic megaman series, or from all of the different megaman series put together? something tells me it is a collective which really doesn't hold up in this debate since we are discussing just the classic megaman, and not .EXE or zero.

neither megaman or ryu would be clones, mainly because they have enough originality to be their own character. first off, ryu is twice as big as mario and luigi, so that alone makes cloning nearly impossible. next, hydoken is around 4 times stronger than luigi's puny fireball, it is bigger, and it travels at a different speed. if anything it is close to a charged samus ball accept you don't have to charge it. in the hurricane kick move, ryu moves across the screen, what he doesn't do is stand in one place and spin like mario's VB move. if anything it cold be compared to DK's ^B move, accept the size, speed, distance, and lag are allot different. and on to the topic of ryu's ^B, it doesn't catch the opponent in it like mario's ^B, and it has more distance and is slower than luigi's ^B, also the lag affects of this attack are unique to ryu alone. in conclusion, ryu would be very far from a mario or even a luigi clone.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
thats total, but that would take away from both sf and megamans total numbers and end up being the same result just lower numbers, besides you cant have the new without the classic... M3G4M4N OW|\|S

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
actually, all of the sf games had ryu in them, so that 25 mil counts towards ryu. so in actuality classic megaman's numbers are not as high ryu's. and as we all know, the new is never as good as the classic

RWB

Smash Ace
I find Megaman much more likely, but that might be because I'm biased.

I hate Ryu with a passion(not his moveset, him), he just seems to much like the stereotypical Kung Fu guy to me. <_<

ClarkJables

Smash Lord

and although those kung fu guys may look similar (why, cause their asian?!?!?) if you look they fight very differently, ryu's fighting stance being completely unique to his character. as told in this wikipedia exerpt "Both Ryu and Ken are practitioners of an extremely violent martial art known as ansatsuken (Japanese: 暗殺拳 murderous/assassin's fist), which incorporated the most violent techniques from a blend of four styles of martial arts, alongside a mysterious sure-killing technique called Shun Goku Satsu." show me a bruce lee movie where he does a hurricane kick or a hydoken and then you could say he is the steriotypical martial artist

tirkaro

Smash Champion
how exactly does clank, chibi robo, servbot, and that thing from HGttG fit into the "stereotypical robot boy" category? :confused:

oh, and megaman will get in over ryu anyday. simply put, megaman is capcom's mascot. MASCOT
M-A-S-C-O-T it even states it on capcom's own freaking OFFICIAL WEBSITE.

If theres ever going to be any capcom rep in brawl, they would obviously use thier MASCOT. Ryu is NOT capcom's mascot. He's CLOSE to being capcoms mascot. but he still ISN'T capcoms MASCOT. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
ok 1, you don't have to scream mascot, i get you. but look at some of these facts:

ryu is the father of fighting games, and can be set as a mascot for the entire fighting game industry, the only one tieing being scorpion from MK series

ryu is capcom's unofficial mascot, and lets not forget capcoms original mascot Captain commando

there is only one ryu, while there are so many different megamans i can't count them, which brings me to the point that capcom wants to promote their newest megaman, and not one that you really only see in compilations and capcom collection games

and as to the robot comment, clank has a jetpack, and the others have that idiotic robot boy look. and if you don't want to count them that still leaves astroboy, robot boy, and all of the other megamen

Stryks

Smash Hero
Look if ANY megaman is gonna gte in, its the original, adding any other doesnt make sense...

Ry maybe the so-called father of fighting games, but just because hes is doesnt make him worthy in smash, if smash were a stamina based fighter then maybe yes, but smash is a totally diferent type of fighting games, and believe me Ryu wont make such an impact as megaman, the fans and sakuria knows this...

Megaman is capcoms mascot, thus should be added, lets looks at it in another way if nintendo can have any nintendo character in a 3rd party game, which would they choose? pikachu, kirby, link? no its the mascot: Mario
Thats why sonic wil lbe added is sega is chosen, cause sonic is the mascot and incredibly popular...

They wont choose the newest megaman cause they know everyone wants the original, the one who was part os the NES era, and is far more popular...

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Megaman is capcoms mascot, thus should be added, lets looks at it in another way if nintendo can have any nintendo character in a 3rd party game, which would they choose? pikachu, kirby, link? no its the mascot: Mario
Thats why sonic wil lbe added is sega is chosen, cause sonic is the mascot and incredibly popular...
Not quite true...in SC2, they chose Link, not Mario.

But, Megaman should definitely be in because it should be the game of the rivals. Sonic and Mario, Megaman and Samus, Deoxys and Mewtwo (apparently...I dunno, ask the Pokemon guys), as well as several new arch enemies (like Ridley, Wolf, etc.). So...Megaman fits the bill a lot more.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
what, you don't want a good ole ryu vs. donkey kong match, i here if you attempt it the level of awsuemness shatters your wii into a million pieces.

plus as far as being a stamina fighter goes you good easily reverse it, and saying that is like saying cap'n falcon couldn't get in because all he does is fly, or snake couldn't get in because all he does is sneak around in cardboard boxes and alligator suits.

and what do you mean by ryu not making as much of an impact as megaman, i am a mega megaman hater i'll admit it, but i will say that they will have equal impact if either of them make it in, they would both be equally original, and it could be argued up and down how one could be a clone and the other couldn't, so lets not try it.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Nmaco asked for Link, nintendo couldnt choose the character, cause Link was the one that most fitted in SC, u know the game takes place in the past, where people use swords and such, I doubt Samus, mario or any other would have fitted in, obcourse a FE character would have fitted in too, but Link is more popular...

Megaman is more wanted in brawl, and since theres only 3 spots for 3rd parties, Im bettin sakurai will go for popularity in this one...

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
well if we went with popularity alone then sonic and geno would get in, not megaman. but as we all know there are more factors here then just popularity, so this changes things. these factors include what sakurai wants, what the respective company wants, $$$, etc...

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
lol i cant believe there are ryu fan boys...he is a ken clone himself...or vice verca either way they both suck..
but check this out...

STRAIGHT TO THE FACTS

Megaman Vs Ryu (Street fighter) - 27 million sold, Ryu (Street fighter)- 25 million also note megaman being a title character*

gg
topcat.... YOU WIN!!! you should join us in the official mm thread

@clark, Geno is not more wanted than mega man, check your facts.

Why cant you guys just realize if Capcom gets a character its gonna be original MM?

RWB

Smash Ace
and although those kung fu guys may look similar (why, cause their asian?!?!?) if you look they fight very differently, ryu's fighting stance being completely unique to his character. as told in this wikipedia exerpt "Both Ryu and Ken are practitioners of an extremely violent martial art known as ansatsuken (Japanese: 暗殺拳 murderous/assassin's fist), which incorporated the most violent techniques from a blend of four styles of martial arts, alongside a mysterious sure-killing technique called Shun Goku Satsu." show me a bruce lee movie where he does a hurricane kick or a hydoken and then you could say he is the steriotypical martial artist
Hurricane Kick is just a suped up spinning jump kick.
Hadoken is a Dragonball ripoff.

Cause their asian?!?!? ...Ryu doesn't even look asian, FYI. And his stance is hardly unique, with Ken and Akuma having the same(even if Ryu is the original). It's more the way he dresses that annoys me, and the overused "a person whose life is entirely devoted to spiritual perfection through the art of the fist" type of character. He pretty much is a stereotypical martial artist.

And seriously, don't bring Bruce Lee into this, because Ryu can't even compare to such a guy.

About those robots, how is any of these besides Megaman even similar to Megaman?

Fawriel

Smash Master
Hurricane Kick is just a suped up spinning jump kick.
Hadoken is a Dragonball ripoff.
To be nit-picky, Dragonball didn't invent ki-blasts. At least it's basically guaranteed that the author Akira Toriyama didn't, since the belief in ki and the ability to utilize it thanks to meditation is, well, somewhat older than him.
But yeah, that only makes it even less original.

But yeah, I dislike Ryu for the same reason.

El HP

Smash Ace
this is just your opinion i know many who would disagree. Plus there are still original mm games comin out, a remake on the ps3, a vc game on the Wii, and possibly the highly anticipated MM9 on the Wii
Check reviews and you will see how RE4 was one of the highest rated games last gen those are opinions sure but shows the quality of the series in general, a remake is a original game? I didn't knew that, a re-release is a original game too? you anticipate a game that doesn't even exist? it's not even announced.

Yes it is good to be able to have 6 titles on just one console. Not only does it show how popular he was, it shows that he has a lot of history with nintendo (much more than any other Capcom franchise).For the reasons listed above the series is not dead but alive and kicking
No is not good because the sequels are just copy and paste work all the megamans are basically the same game.

top class series...lol...again just an opion based comment. My friend is a die hard samus fan yet he cant stand any of her games past the snes. and what badass bounty hunter manages to get crushed and lose all of her weapons at the start of EVERY GAME, stupid blonde
Go to gamerankings and check the scores for Metroid Prime it was the highest rated game last gen not to mention the 2002 GOTY by the IGDA and most websites and publications one more thing EGM rated MP3:C as "Awesome" the only Wii game at last year E3 that earned such praise.

Your friend is a Super Metroid fanboy those who can't play a metroid game with that name on the title screen their lost because the prime games are the pinnacle of the series and yeah I love the 2D ones but that is out the point of this thread so lest leave this out shall we.

Ryu destroy MM? hahaha lol. have you ever played MvC? Its so easy to crush ryu with megaman, he basically has automatic hadukens, its just one button lol
Megaman sucked in MvC Ryu wasn't as good because those marvel characters were overpowered only a few of capcom characters were compareble to them.

but check this out...

STRAIGHT TO THE FACTS

gg
Those sales are crappy considering the million megaman games there are on many systems compare that to metroid that only has 8 games one of them a remake not to mention sales doesn't mean quality.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Look megaman is the OFFICIAL mascot of capcom, like it or not its fact, and like any company, if they can add any character to a 3rd party game, they will choose the mascot (note konami didnt ask snake to be in, the creator OF snake asked him to be in) to be in it...

Sonic is without a doubt added in brawl, why? cause of his popularity and being segas mascot, megaman has both of that too, cause hes the 2nd most requested 3rd party in sakurais poll, thus he has the highest chance after sonic, face the facts, ryu may be the so called father of fighting games, but megaman revolutionized playing games back in the NES era...

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
Out of curiosity...will there be riots in the streets if Geno gets in instead of a Capcom character?
No, because I personally dont believe any company with a widely wanted character (unless they dont meet the requirements) would be refused. If Capcom requested MM to be in, I cant see Sakurai sayin "sorry, Square asked for Geno first, and theres only 3 spots. so maybe next time."

I think it entirely rests on Capcom to include MM in this game. Even if you hate mm, you cant tell me Sakurai would deny him entrance. Ryu, Jill, Leon, Joe, Captain Commando (who is that again? lol) would not get in over Capcom's 20 yr old mascot whos been in tons upon tons of games and is known worldwide. Mega Man is an ICON

the grim lizard

Smash Master
No, because I personally dont believe any company with a widely wanted character (unless they dont meet the requirements) would be refused. If Capcom requested MM to be in, I cant see Sakurai sayin "sorry, Square asked for Geno first, and theres only 3 spots. so maybe next time."

I think it entirely rests on Capcom to include MM in this game. Even if you hate mm, you cant tell me Sakurai would deny him entrance. Ryu, Jill, Leon, Joe, Captain Commando (who is that again? lol) would not get in over Capcom's 20 yr old mascot whos been in tons upon tons of games and is known worldwide. Mega Man is an ICON
Actually, I just hate Geno, but I was just curious.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i am bringing this thread back from the dead after my long absence by supporting my favorite character of all time

RYU... from streetfighter

i really hope he makes it in over megaman

Stryks

Smash Hero
i am bringing this thread back from the dead after my long absence by supporting my favorite character of all time

RYU... from streetfighter

i really hope he makes it in over megaman
So we add a 3rd party character from a fighting game... INTO a fighting game... yeah thats jaw dropping ...

Top Bottom