• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who's the better capcom rep for brawl

Conker1

Smash Ace
It doesn't matter how well anyone "fits in". Pikachu Vs. Snake.

Sadly, if Capcom got a representative it would be Megaman. Ryu has the second highest chance, but his chances of beating Megaman are slim to none.

The best we can hope for is that Capcom just doesn't get any rep. Bomberman and Sonic for Brawl!(Although I'd rather have Ryu than Sonic as well XD)

EazyP

Smash Ace
Captain Commando sadly can't be in the game. If Captain Commando and Captain Falcon are the same screen at the same time, the resulting amount of pure testosterone would make you TV, Wii, and brain simultaneously implode.

Although I would like to see CapCom in Brawl over Megaman, I'd rather have Ryu.
QUOTED FOR TRUTH

Also bluebomber, you're obviously a MegaMan extreme fanboy, so I can't make you change your mind, but I will say that CapCom IS THE ORIGINAL MASCOT FOR CAPCOM. Street Fighter is known wider around the world, also if MegaMan does get in, I hope the .EXE version gets in just to anger every MegaMan fanboy :D

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
Also bluebomber, you're obviously a MegaMan extreme fanboy, so I can't make you change your mind, but I will say that CapCom IS THE ORIGINAL MASCOT FOR CAPCOM. Street Fighter is known wider around the world, also if MegaMan does get in, I hope the .EXE version gets in just to anger every MegaMan fanboy :D
How could you tell??

Yes I am a fan, but that doesn't mean my information isn't correct. Who cares if CapCom was Capcom's original mascot, he isn't now is he? lol. Most people wouldn't even know who he was if it wasn't for the MvC series.

And no, SF is not known wider around the world than MM. Look at the sales figures buddy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#Franchise

If .EXE gets in, yes we'll all be pissed, but guess what YOU still lose cuz sorry no Ryu. But the chances of that happening are almost as low of the chances of Ryu getting in. Sakurai likes retro characters i.e. G&W, ice climbers, Pit, etc. I think you can see how .EXE doesn't apply:)

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
wait is sakurai loves retro characters so much, doesn't that increase ryu's and capcom's chances.

and once again, the sf series is the father of all fighting games, and the megaman series isn't just one megaman, its tons of them which could explain how it outsold sf by only 2 million.

and also as a quick thought, we have to think of what capcom has in mind for the series, they don't want a megaman they don't use anymore, they want the newest incarnation in there so as to promote the new series as much as possible. very similar to how roy got in

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
wait is sakurai loves retro characters so much, doesn't that increase ryu's and capcom's chances.

and once again, the sf series is the father of all fighting games, and the megaman series isn't just one megaman, its tons of them which could explain how it outsold sf by only 2 million.

and also as a quick thought, we have to think of what capcom has in mind for the series, they don't want a megaman they don't use anymore, they want the newest incarnation in there so as to promote the new series as much as possible. very similar to how roy got in
1) Yes it increases Ryu's chances overall, but I was using that to defeat the other guys .EXE comment, I wasn't referring to Ryu.

2)2 million is a lot, and even these records are about a year old. I would bet the gap is larger now. And like there arent a million SF games? and besides this is exactly my point, MEGA MAN, in any incarnation is Capcom's mascot. That is why they make so many of his games and milk their cash cow to death.

3) First of all who's to say they don't use him anymore? they remade mm1 in '05 with another remake coming to the PS3, and mm1 on the virtual console. Plus, there's a lot of speculation on the web right now about a megaman wii game, thanks to his creator Keija Inafune saying their was a new capcom title in development for the Wii (in addition to all the others) If this new game is the highly anticipated MM9, then brawl would be perfect advertisement. Plus for your Roy comment the original can serve as advertisement for all the collection games still being sold, and also for the new zx and .EXE series. Since he shares the same name with the new games, people will naturally associate him with them (the entire reason capcom names all these new series with mm i.e. Megaman ZX lol). So in theory if someone likes him in brawl, they can go hey i wanna play a mm game now and got to the store and see MMZX, im gonna get this! my point is any publicity is good publicity. Plus I think it'll be a little bit about having your best icon in to represent the company, not just to make money.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i see yer point on numbers 2 and 3, but i think even though on point one you weren't directly refering to ryu, you did help his chances.

and street fighter is getting another movie in 2008 and maybe a forth addition to the series, so i think that series is still a cashcow and could benefit from inclusion in brawl. plus the 20 year anniversary of SF is coming up soon, so they have allot of reasons to promote the series

Stryks

Smash Hero
I doubt it, one think is to promote 1st party games with their characters, 3rd party characters are another story, u see sakurai is gonna go with a lot of trouble getting the rights of characters, and all of that, u really think, with just 3 3rd party spots (one is taken) theyre gonna use one of them as a promotion? hardly see it happening...

EazyP

Smash Ace
Yep, Clark is pretty correct

There's such a huge fanbase of 2D fighter fans in Asia, this would greatly help the sales of the game. Not to mention that people to THIS DAY are still having HUGE tournaments for let alone Street Fighter 2, not even counting MvC2, CvS2, 3s, and all the other titles he's been in that still get round the clock play

Another problem is that fighting games don't make much profit. The cabinets are huge and expensive, and while fans just love them, it's much much easier to sell a little gaming cartage for the NES than a huge thousand dollar cabinet. Not to even point out that Mega Man has way too many games, many of which are bad bad bad bad quality, like beating a dead horse

The man is a fighting game icon, and without him I'd doubt that SSB would exist. I don't see the problem with his choice

Stryks

Smash Hero
Well Im guessin Megaman is more popular in japan and over here in america if he is the runer-up (after sonic) of the most wanted 3rd party character in sakurais list, and I dont recall seeing ryu anywhere in there, so Im guessing since BOTH japan and america want megaman, its a win win situation for sakurai...

Conker1

Smash Ace
On the sales figure thingy you posted

Megaman is only beating SF by 2 million dollars! Compare the number of SF games to the number of MM games, even after that RE is beating both of them!

I think the Capcom chances are different than I thought.

1. Leon Kennedy or Jill Valentine
2. Ryu
3. Megaman

Off-topic: also saw Half-Life is beating Halo :D

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I guess of those two I'd give it to MegaMan, because I have fond memories of playing the MegaMan series on my original Game Boy back in the 1990s.

But if we get all of Capcom to choose from, the logical choice is VIEWTIFUL JOE

Stryks

Smash Hero
Seriously is theyre not gonna add characters just because theyre games sell more, theyre gonna add characters by popularity, if they appeared in sakurais list, and if the character intrigues sakurai...

What do u think will intrighue sakurai more:
A guy who uses guns to take out zombies
A karate guy who fires enery blasts (hadoukens)
or a robot who has a variety of over 50 weapons to choose from, is kid friendly and is THE mascot of the company?

@zuby: Dear god, chun li has more of a shot than Joe

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
alot of megaman's moves are very similar to samus and link moves, so its not like he is oozing originality. and ryu does allot more than fire balls of energy, the best way to explain is for you to play a street fighter game, because if you do it is easy to see how ryu could bring alot to the table. and you might have played sf for all i know, i am jus saying

Stryks

Smash Hero
Yeah leaf sheild, crash bomb, rock ball, guts arm, tornado hold, bubbles, time stopper, rolling cutter... yeah hes way similair to samus and link, they have similarities in what, 5-6 moves? ok scratch those moves out of the 60+ other weapons he has...

Ryu has a lot to offer?
hadouken: Samus charge shot
Spinning kick: mario tornado/y.link spin attack
dragon punch: Marios upb

Dude ive been playing SF since i was 5, I know what ryu can offer, and believe me, megaman can be far more fun, original andinteresting, he has over 60 weapons to choose from, he will be by far the most unique character in smash if added...

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
1, hadoken isn't a charge shot, its an instant blast
2, the hurricane kick is if anything similar to donkey kong's ^B but faster and farther
3, the dragon punch would also be a suped up version of luigi's jump, as the opponent doesn't get caught in the punch like with marios

takes these and all of his non special moves and you have a good oprotunity for an excellent combo heavy character in brawl
now there is no doubt that megaman has originality to himself, and that he would add something to brawl being mainly a projectile based character, but that doesn't mean ryu isn't original and i just don't think you should put him down so quickly

Stryks

Smash Hero
Hey I never said he wasnt original, but compared to megaman, he aint very unique to be in brawl, megaman has more of a sht, being mor epopular, more kid friendly, and being the actual mascot of capcom, I doubt they'll add ryu, even less if u think he'll be added to promote the 20th anniversary of SF...

3rd parties are a bid deal, sakurai has to go with popularity with this one, its not like the 1st party characters, where he can choose the unique one sover the popular, but 3rd parties are well rare if u put it that way, theyre are only to slots left, and sonic is surely to take one, why? because hes increibly ****ing popular, same will happen with sonic, cause hes the 2nd most wanted, and already has experience in fighting games (MvC) so making a moveset wont take too much trouble...

Now think what will impact more, megaman who has 60+ weapons to choose from, or ryu who already has a predetermined moveset, thus the only thing we'll be suprised of is his appearance, not the moveset, not his final, just his appearance...

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
well ryu doesn't have a VB or a special move, plus sakurai never has to go by the book. also are these 60+ moves all from the original megaman, or have they been acumulated over all of the different megamans.

and although i do kind of agree with you on the whole popularity issue i just have to cite snake and say that i doubt anyone even thought of snake making it in before he was announced, so this leads me to believe that in the case of third parties, nothing should be assumed until we see the final product.

also, to strike up a subtopic, what do you think ryu's down b and super move should be.
my down B idea is call focus Ki, and it doubles the damage ryu gives and takes for a certain amount of time or for a set number of attacks.
and i have no idea about the special move, Shun Goku Satsu is a possiblity but ryu never really used this move, it was more of an evil ryu thing

Stryks

Smash Hero
Im guessin a parry move will do for his downB...

Also Snake was added because Kojima BEGGED to sakurai to add him thats why hes in, so u cant really count snake for the "He wasnt wanted in brawl so anything cna happen"

And yeah those 60+ moves are from one game, now imagine if u combine all the weapons of all of his games, u got like 200+ weapons...

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i don't like the idea of giving him moves from other megaman seires, considering the actual and classic one never learned them, plus they would be a little cheap, like that stupid lazer sword.

and what i meant by snake is that even though only one person wanted him in he got in. and this helps to raise the point that although the fans are a factor, what the respective companies want come first, that and what sakurai wants.

and ryu doesn't seem like the parrying type, oh and if he gets in ryu gets the yellow bruce lee suit from enter the dragon.that would be unbelievable pwnzge

Stryks

Smash Hero
Well all SF charaters parry in SF 3rd strike, or so Ive heard, so thought that could be added, and his final would be the super hadouken from MvC...

Yeah I know 200+ weapons, just wanted to make that clear, still it does come down to what sakurai wants, and since the guy likes retros, and likes kid firendly characters, megaman is sure to be in XD

(Click my sig!!) :p

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
that is the meanest most unfriendly mario i've ever seen, its so badass. and i just feel like a parry is sort of an unoriginal move, i think the energy boost idea would help develop the character more as a heavy comboer

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Sort of a complicated answer to all of this, which I will try to be succinct...

I think Megaman would be the best rep because I think he has the most potential, while someone from RE would be a better rep because of the number of games appearing on Nintendo systems. Street Fighter is fun; I've played it for years, but it's too redundant to have Ryu or someone in Smash. And besides, it's too much of an arcade title...

Megaman had a few on the old school NES and such, but not so much anymore (I guess that could be said about Snake, too). That's my opinion though of who would be the best rep. However, I honestly don't know that Capcom will get a rep at all. With so few 3rd player spots going out (Sakurai said 1-2 more), I'm not sure they're the best fit.

Honestly, I don't know how Snake got in as the rep for Konami...Castlevania has had many more games on the Nintendo systems...from the early NES games to the present GCN games to the now NDS and Wii games. I think a hero of that series should be in over Snake.

But sorry to diverge from the topic. In short, Megaman is best (I wanna show Samus is way better and would own him), RE is most deserving, but likely no one at all.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Well what other company would get in over Capcom anyways? They are the 2nd most likely in my opinion (1st Sega, 2nd Capcom, 3rd Konami) But Snake only got in cos Kojima "Practically begged" Sakurai to put him in but Megaman will get in over the other chracters any day.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
I think Megaman would be the best rep because I think he has the most potential, while someone from RE would be a better rep because of the number of games appearing on Nintendo systems.

Megaman had a few on the old school NES and such, but not so much anymore (I guess that could be said about Snake, too).

But sorry to diverge from the topic. In short, Megaman is best (I wanna show Samus is way better and would own him), RE is most deserving, but likely no one at all.
1) MM has way more games on Nintendo systems than RE

2) a few??? he had 6 on the NES alone

3) my reasoning for wanting mm in is the exact opposite (I wanna show people Samus far inferior to Mega Man and will be crushed under his power)lol

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
well since samus has more badass points thne the blue bomber i think samus would win. plus if MM won he would be beating up a woman which is wrong lol, so he looses either way

Mckillyou

Smash Journeyman
JILL VALENTINE :)

I'd like to say Rebecca Chambers, but Jills been in more games than any other Resident Evil character. But Jills cool too, and has been in a fighting game where she didn't use guns, AND Capcom had that Resident Evil contract with Nintendo.... Sounds like she'd fit in quite nicely.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
yah but the problem is that the RE series has to compete with allot of other capcom franchises.

devil may cry, street fighter, and the megaman series just to name a few. jill would play interesting in smash though i have to admit

Mckillyou

Smash Journeyman
They could even take some of her moves straight out of Marvel Vs Capcom.

Send a zombie, crow, or cerberus to munch on your enemies! They would just have to make them look more kid friendly.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
ok i hate how everyone says the game needs to be kid friendly. in all probability the game will be rated teen, so its not like 3 year olds are playing it. i mean look at snake, they didn't tone him down at all except for taking out the guns

the grim lizard

Smash Master

3) my reasoning for wanting mm in is the exact opposite (I wanna show people Samus far inferior to Mega Man and will be crushed under his power)lol
I already said I thought Megaman would be the best (only) pick for Capcom...

But...I gotta disagree with ya. Samus blows away Megaman. Plus her enemies are way better....bottom line: Samus kicks butt and...well, anyway. I'd like to have her kick his butt, as I said. ;)

Reasons Samus rocks (much more than just beams and missiles):

Screw Attack
Morph Ball
Bombs/Power Bombs
Grapple Beam
Speed Boost
Boost Ball
Spider Ball
High Jump/Jump Ball
Space Jump

not to mention...awesome suit upgrades (Varia, Gravity, Light/Dark...)
and awesome visors (Thermal, X-Ray, Echo...)
and awesome beams, etc.

:)

El HP

Smash Ace
RE is a way better series than megaman and a new one is coming to Wii while megaman is stuck in rehashed hanheld games.

And that is good according to you that's why the series is pretty much dead nowadays is been milked to hell and lacking real improvements in gameplay.

Samus inferior to megaman? Metroid is actually a top class series and no a kiddy robot is not superior to a badass bountyhunter.

yah but the problem is that the RE series has to compete with allot of other capcom franchises.

devil may cry, street fighter, and the megaman series just to name a few. jill would play interesting in smash though i have to admit
DMC has never appeared on nintendo consoles so that series is out of the question.

whiterob

Smash Journeyman
I agree with everything El Hp said. Also, Leon Kennedy should be in using jill valentines MvC2 moveset. Megaman is old and tired,RE is fun and fresh.

Mckillyou

Smash Journeyman
I agree with El Hp. And Whiterob, thats a good idea. Leon is the star of Resident Evil 4, which won alot of awards, and was even voted the greatest game ever made on alot of sites, and was originally on the Gamecube, and is moving onto the Wii. I guess right now Leon would be the more popular choice if an RE character was to be in brawl. And Leon has actual physical attacks you can use in the game, his kicks and his suplex. Theres a few moves already!

dantemasta

Smash Apprentice
I love Megaman and Ryu, but I have to give it to Ryu. I would just love to see him shoot a Hadoken to the face of Pikachu and use Shin Shoryuken against Mario.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
Megaman is not old and tired, you guys are douches....seriously your talking about megaman, as far as megaman vs samus goes.. you cant compare the two..they are like link and dk just dont try it (even tho dk owns that one) but ya ryu is a joke...and doesnt deserved to be mentioned with megaman.... The sickness tier list looks something like this

Mario
Pikachu

High

Dk
Link
Samus

Mid

Peach
Luigi
Bowser

Low

blah
blah
blah

EXTREMELY LOW

ryu

whiterob

Smash Journeyman
I was pretty shocked when i found out that Nintendo Power named RE4 the second best game ever on a nintendo console. Mckillyou, you made some nice points about REs current surge in popularity. Btw, there is a whole leon moveset in the leon kennedy official thread on this site already.

Top Bottom