• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's gonna die next?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
We cut to sonic, who is riddled with bullet holes, and then pan up to see Shadow with his gun, he ***** it, and we see the splash.
Aren't Sonic and Shadow friends? How could Shadow be so brutal? And the guns were what everyone hated about his game, which was why he was never seen using guns again.

SkudKid

Smash Rookie
NNID
maj02jr
3DS FC
0387-9237-8149
Pikachu is a safe bet. The pattern so far has been that the most famous characters are getting the axe in reveal trailers for shock factor.

My prediction is that Monster Hunter will be added and kill Pikachu in their reveal. It makes sense since Monster Hunters kill monsters and Pikachu is the most famous monster in Nintendo history.
i could definitely see Pikachu being killed in the next character reveal, only for the fact that you mentioned that the most famous characters are getting killed. maybe Link would get killed too, who knows actually.

Monster Hunter being a character would be sick as hell though, especially since that series already has representation in the game. Would make sense to have a character from there too.

MainJPW

M.T.A
We cut to sonic, who is riddled with bullet holes, and then pan up to see Shadow with his gun, he ***** it, and we see the splash.
Something like that actually happened at E3 2005.

He didn’t die, though, he just fainted Pokemon style for like 1 second I guess.

Aren't Sonic and Shadow friends? How could Shadow be so brutal? And the guns were what everyone hated about his game, which was why he was never seen using guns again.
Well Shadow isn’t evil and he doesn’t want to kill Sonic, they mostly work together in the games. They’re more like Rivals.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As much as I don't want to ruin the game, I starting to think that people are taking the death routine a little too far. For all we know, K. Rool likely just knocked out Dedede without leaving any serious injuries.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
:ultmetaknight: will die in Bandana Dee's trailer (Bandana Dee's not a meanie though someone else kills him)
:4charizard: will "faint" in Lycanroc's trailer.
:ultwario: dies in Geno's Trailer
:ultrobin dies in Issac's trailer.
IDK who dies with Rayman
:ultyounglink: dies in Young Link's trailer.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
:ultfalcon: might die in Elma’s trailer.
:ultlucina: and :ultcloud: will die in some trailer, not sure whose.
:ultbayonetta: will not die per se but get her **** rekt in Chorus Kids’ trailer.

aarchak

Smash Ace
As much as I don't want to ruin the game, I starting to think that people are taking the death routine a little too far. For all we know, K. Rool likely just knocked out Dedede without leaving any serious injuries.
Yes, but for people it's more fun to say that he died. Besides, realistically, he would die from such a blow to the head, but what does that matter he's a giant penguin king with a comically sized jet hammer who throws spikes with eyes.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yes, but for people it's more fun to say that he died. Besides, realistically, he would die from such a blow to the head, but what does that matter he's a giant penguin king with a comically sized jet hammer who throws spikes with eyes.
The irony is that characters like Kirby and Dedede can survive stuff that would be fatal in the real world; Kirby can take an explosion and still keep going.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, I'm pretty sure Mario and Mega Man survived Ridley's ambush and Luigi's ghost got back in his body to revive himself. Sakurai said that everyone's coming back. So how could they come back if they keep getting killed off by the trailers?

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Link killed in Isaac trailer
Ganondorf Killed in Skull Kid trailer
Wario Killed in Geno Trailer
K.rool in Waddle Dee trailer
Everyone in Tabuu trailer

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
This is not Mortal Kombat. No one really dies in Super Smash Bros. But I guess if Scorpion gets announced, he'd perform his fatality on someone.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
We're just kidding, is just a fun speculation... but for sure people will "faint" in the trailers XD

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
the game is cancelled, sakurai accidentally killed off all the characters

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Only one character has the right to kill Kirby, and that's Arle Nadja. If Arle doesn't make it then Kirby will survive for until she does. It's been a long time coming, since 1995, and 2018 is the year she will have her revenge. Lip, by contrast, would go "water under the bridge" for Yoshi and Pikachu. Instead, it'd be Mewtwo, the only character whose equivalent in Pdp doesn't exist and so Lip has never fought.

In a Paper Mario reveal trailer, it'd be Toon Link. This is because they'd both be the third of their originals.

Geno's trailer will take out two characters who use hammers like Smithy: the Ice Climbers.

Banjo and Kazooie are good at killing witches. You know who's a witch? Bayonetta.

Every death so far has been related to the upcoming revealed fighter. Mario represents the guaranteed characters of Smash (and how we discounted Ridley because "too big"), Mega Man was the hype reveal of E3 2013 (it's been 5 years), Luigi also ventures into haunted architecture, and Dedede is a king who is also a goofball (though K. Rool is a real threat and Dedede isn't).

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
Fox, purely because of his Smash reputation. Whoever kills him would give the newcomer some weight as a threatening roster addition.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
There’s also the speculation that their deaths might play into the Spirits Mode. I like the idea of that.
I don't really buy into the Spirit Mode theory because it was a guess based on a pixelated word, and the pixelated word doesn't look that close to "Spirits."

notion_of_the_ocean

Smash Rookie
I don't really buy into the Spirit Mode theory because it was a guess based on a pixelated word, and the pixelated word doesn't look that close to "Spirits."
There are three assumptions being made here... 1) Each reveal will continue to have a character demise 2) The Green Mode (a.k.a Spirits) is the story mode 3) The reveal trailers are connected to this mode.

With that said, I am with the majority on this one most likely as I would really enjoy a mode based having to recover the spirits of characters as a means to unlocking them. I think Nintendo may be onto something here with this and could create a rather suspenseful campaign. Only time will tell...

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
It's still fanon anyways. Sakurai decided to hide the green mode from us and expecting too much of something can lessen the probability of it happening.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
We cut to King K. Rool, laughing as he taunts a defeated Donkey Kong. He's about to finish him off with a haymaker, before a banjo is thrust upon his head and a beak is stabbed into his back. King K. Rool brutally falls to the ground as the splash states:
BANJO AND KAZOOIE PIECE TOGETHER A VICTORY!
Edit: Also Villager will die in Balloon Fighter's trailer as if to say "boy you shouldn't have stolen my thunder."

Last edited:
Well, I'm pretty sure Mario and Mega Man survived Ridley's ambush and Luigi's ghost got back in his body to revive himself. Sakurai said that everyone's coming back. So how could they come back if they keep getting killed off by the trailers?
Mega Man got impaled, and the Mega Man death noise was played.

We heard Mario's neck snap.

Carmilla interrupted Luigi before he could get back in his body. Of course, we don't know what happened afterwards, but I don't think she'd make it easy for him.

Nobody said these characters wouldn't be playable. But they clearly died in the trailers.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Sonic.

I'm 99% convinced that A) these trailers are actual in-game cutscenes pertaining to the "Spirits" mode, and B) that Shadow will be an echo fighter, whether I want him or not. Assuming both of these things are true, I can see Shadow being used as a villain and Sonic meeting his end to emphasize Shadow's presence.

If this heroes vs. villains theme really is a thing, there are just so many more heroes than villains that they need to make the villains seem all the bigger and badder by not being overshadowed.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, at least Isabelle's trailer didn't really kill anyone off. In fact, Mario was seen at 1:30 in her trailer, meaning he was totally fine after Ridley. And Isabelle even saved Diddy from drowning!

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Those two trailers aren't connected, tho, so you can't use that to say Mario didn't die in Ridley's specific trailer.
I'm pretty sure someone had noted that "dead characters" don't show up in later trailers. Had Mario shown up in Simon's or K. Rool's trailer?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
We cut to King K. Rool, laughing as he taunts a defeated Donkey Kong. He's about to finish him off with a haymaker, before a banjo is thrust upon his head and a beak is stabbed into his back. King K. Rool brutally falls to the ground as the splash states:
BANJO AND KAZOOIE PIECE TOGETHER A VICTORY!
It would make more sense if K. Rool was attacking Diddy Kong.

I'm pretty sure someone had noted that "dead characters" don't show up in later trailers. Had Mario shown up in Simon's or K. Rool's trailer?
I think what people meant by that was the characters that were killed didn't show up again in the same trailers where they were killed.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
But in Simon and K. Rool's trailers, did Mario and Mega Man appear anywhere? Did Luigi make an appearance in K. Rool's trailer? Seems like only Mario came back for Isabelle's trailer.

But in Simon and K. Rool's trailers, did Mario and Mega Man appear anywhere? Did Luigi make an appearance in K. Rool's trailer? Seems like only Mario came back for Isabelle's trailer.
Mario made a brief appearance in the gameplay footage of Simon's trailer.

Mega Man and Luigi have not made any other appearances so far, though.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
I see a pattern of trailer casualties.

Inkling: No casualties
Ridley: 2 casualties from newcomer
Simon and Richter: 1 casualty from newcomer's enemy
King K. Rool: 1 casualty from newcomer
Isabelle: No casualties

Last edited:
Top Bottom