• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's Canonically the Strongest Character in Smash?

Vex514

Smash Cadet
Here's the thing though....
does it matter what other characters can do
if their minds are vulnerable to the psychic guys
Who can just control their actions, and use their powers as their own?

Scenario:
Rosalina, Shulk, and Sonic are fighting
Doing whatever you all just said they can do.

Mewtwo comes in, 'disables,' their powers, or flat out uses them as puppets against one another.
With his minions, he then takes control.
You bring up a very good point, but the distinction here is how exactly Mewtwo's abilities would work. He would (realistically speaking) have to be able to target his opponent, catch their eye, or something. Really depends on how his powers worked. If we go by this definition, Sonic would be too fast to catch in his powers (having no way of seeing him at top speed) and Shulk (never played Xenoblades, so correct me if I'm wrong) can see the future and would be able to avoid situations where he would get caught.

However, if Mewtwo's **** is like an EMP that just shuts down everyone in a giant blast radius, lololol Mewtwo for #1

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114

Scenario:

Mewtwo comes in, 'disables,' their powers, or flat out uses them as puppets against one another.
...Unless Sonic uses Chaos Control to freeze time. before Mewtwo can even think about doing that. :)

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Okay, fight between :sonic::mewtwopm::4shulk::rosalina::4palutena:.

Mewtwo goes Mega Mewtwo, Sonic goes Super Sonic.

Mewtwo uses TK to hold everyone in place, but Sonic freezes time and breaks free from TK.

Sonic unfreezes everyone except Mewtwo to attack, but Palutena blasts him with light.

Meanwhile, Shulk slashes Rosalina down.

Sonic and Palutena begin blasting each other.

Shulk switches to Cyclone and hurts both Sonic and Palutena.

Sonic and Palutena redirect their blasts to Shulk, who switches to Speed to evade.

Shulk switches to Purge and uses it to attack Sonic, who uses a Chaos Emerald to save himself from death.

Shulk Purges again and again, eventually defeating Sonic and ending the time freeze.

Mewtwo uses combos of Psychic and Confusion to defeat Shulk and Palutena.

The winner is :mewtwopm:.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Mewtwo uses TK to hold everyone in place, but Sonic freezes time and breaks free from TK.

Sonic unfreezes everyone except Mewtwo to attack, but Palutena blasts him with light.

Sonic and Palutena redirect their blasts to Shulk, who switches to Speed to evade.

Shulk switches to Purge and uses it to attack Sonic, who uses a Chaos Emerald to save himself from death.

Shulk Purges again and again, eventually defeating Sonic and ending the time freeze.

Sonic could just do this and they wouldn't be able to do anything about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAMINYlIDcc (2:13)

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114

Sonic freezes time with Chaos Control(when he does this he still retains all movement/thought/etc.). He proceeds to beat the crud out of everyone with Super Sonic, the Wisps, and everything else in his arsenal. He then unfreezes time and the damage takes effect. Everyone else dies. Sonic is the winner. If you can freeze time, you kind of win any battle with anyone who can't.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace

Scenario:

Too bad that mind control never worked on :4dk:, :4diddy:, likely won't on :4yoshi:, and :4wario2:. :4sonic:'s emeralds make him invincible to control, the rest don't need something like that to do it.

I never said he had to freeze time. I just said it would give him yet another advantage, which he really doesn't need honestly; it's just for good measure. I'm going to ignore the Spongebob talk, because it's Spongebob. (But Sheldon is Plankton's first name, and Plankton is his last. I don't know why I know this.)
Spongebob has proven to be more capable than Sonic in so few games. It's hard to compete with a sponge that can't swim and karate chop robots....

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Sonic can swim, and he can slice robots in half without a foam karate thing (which I'd imagine would make it less effective anyway), among other things that I've mentioned before. Your point?

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
But Shulk can foresee when Sonic attempts to freeze time, and stop him before he does so! :p

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
I think it's fair to use each consumable item (power-ups, potions, etc.) only once, but ammunition (such as Link's arrows or even Rings for Sonic, since they fuel Super Sonic) should be put at its maximum level at the start of the battle.
agreed.

Scenario:

Thoughts on Mewto: yes he would be really powerful against almost any Smash character besides Ness, who has tremendous psychi skills of his own.
And while temporarily disabling a single power at a time is something (dangerous) that Mewtwo can do, it can be reflected.
Also I don't recall him having a "mind control" move in the games.

But Shulk can foresee when Sonic attempts to freeze time, and stop him before he does so! :p
I havent played Xenoblade yet but unless Shulk can activate Monado Speed (idk how he fast it makes him) and knock the emerald out of Sonic's hand before he activates time stop, being able to forsee it coming doesn't mean much.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I havent played Xenoblade yet but unless Shulk can activate Monado Speed (idk how he fast it makes him) and knock the emerald out of Sonic's hand before he activates time stop, being able to forsee it coming doesn't mean much.
Actually, I believe Monado Speed increases Shulk's dodging ability in Xenoblade, rather than his actual running speed like it does in Smash.
http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Monado_Speed

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Also I don't recall him having a "mind control" move in the games.
In the first movie, (considered not only cannon in Smash, but prevalent in character selection) he takes complete control of Nurse Joy and uses her as a puppet. Just one example.

What keeps Mewtwo (or anyone) from simply stealing the Chaos Emeralds from Sonic in the first place?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
In the first movie, (considered not only cannon in Smash, but prevalent in character selection) he takes complete control of Nurse Joy and uses her as a puppet. Just one example.

What keeps Mewtwo (or anyone) from simply stealing the Chaos Emeralds from Sonic in the first place?
Time freezing.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Is that why he always loses them in the first place, every game? Clearly its not too difficult of a task.
He only lost them in Sonic 3 and Sonic Unleashed, and in both of those instances, he was being a bit careless, rather than in a serious fighting scenario. Unless you mean how they're not at the start of each game, but that's mostly for gameplay reasons (since they're a recurring unlockable and all).

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
He only lost them in Sonic 3 and Sonic Unleashed, and in both of those instances, he was being a bit careless, rather than in a serious fighting scenario. Unless you mean how they're not at the start of each game, but that's mostly for gameplay reasons (since they're a recurring unlockable and all).
From all the games I've seen, he never had them from the beginning and the times Sonic did, the emeralds were lost quickly.

So any professional treasure hunter (like :4wario2:) could get the jewels before :4sonic: can.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
From all the games I've seen, he never had them from the beginning and the times Sonic did, the emeralds were lost quickly.

So any professional treasure hunter (like :4wario2:) could get the jewels before :4sonic: can.
Except they can all be gotten in the first zone of Sonic 2. And again, they were lost because he was being careless, and he doesn't have them from the beginning for gameplay reasons.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Time freezing.
Wonder why he needed help to beat Biolizard,Dark Gaia(lol he got K.O'd after the fight Gaia and Chip were still conscious),Metal Overlord,Solaris,Dr Eggman and Eggman Nega.

All could be beaten with chaos control yet he doesn't, him freezing time right off the bat is out of his character anyway as since he's cocky as hell.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Wonder why he needed help to beat Biolizard,Dark Gaia(lol he got K.O'd after the fight Gaia and Chip were still conscious),Metal Overlord,Solaris,Dr Eggman and Eggman Nega.

All could be beaten with chaos control yet he doesn't, him freezing time right off the bat is out of his character anyway as since he's cocky as hell.
Because he prefers to solve problems with his speed, and usually leaves the Chaos Powers to Shadow. It's his preference, but he still has that capability, and in a thread that measures power, that's really all that matters, at least in this context.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Because he prefers to solve problems with his speed, and usually leaves the Chaos Powers to Shadow. It's his preference, but he still has that capability, and in a thread that measures power, that's really all that matters, at least in this context.
Captain Falcon has a gun -- > Never uses it. Does that mean we can make a fan fiction of him shooting people in the skull?

Sonic had plenty of games to stop time and blitz the God like enemies instead he needs his other buddies to help him(usually they are also powered up to Sonic's caliber). If Sonic stops time as you say in every single scenario then we shall call him 'Fan fiction Sonic' since canon Sonic has yet to use time stop to beat the most powerful enemies.

He couldn't even solo Dark Gaia with all that speed he has he should've been like a killer Bee to that thing. It ended up being Sonic who lost while Gaia was being subdued by his light counterpart.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Captain Falcon has a gun -- > Never uses it. Does that mean we can make a fan fiction of him shooting people in the skull?

Sonic had plenty of games to stop time and blitz the God like enemies instead he needs his other buddies to help him(usually they are also powered up to Sonic's caliber). If Sonic stops time as you say in every single scenario then we shall call him 'Fan fiction Sonic' since canon Sonic has yet to use time stop to beat the most powerful enemies.

He couldn't even solo Dark Gaia with all that speed he has he should've been like a killer Bee to that thing. It ended up being Sonic who lost while Gaia was being subdued by his light counterpart.
Yes, because he has a gun as part of his character.

He doesn't stop time because he prefers to fight with his speed/natural abilities/friends, and sometimes Super Sonic. In his own words (probably paraphrased, but oh well), "an adventure's no fun if it's too easy!" Also, quote from the Sonic Wiki:
Sonic Wiki said:
He also possesses the ability to freely perform several Chaos Powers, such as Chaos Control, create shields that can deflect the enemy’s attacks, and unleash waves of destructive golden energy (as seen in his battle against Ix in his Super State). However, he rarely uses these powers unless absolutely necessary, and relies more on his speed and strength to defeat his enemies.

warionumbah2

Smash Master

He doesn't stop time because he prefers to fight with his speed/natural abilities/friends, and sometimes Super Sonic. In his own words (probably paraphrased, but oh well), "an adventure's no fun if it's too easy!" Also, quote from the Sonic Wiki:
"Using wiki which is basically made by Sonic fans"

i'm so done.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114

i'm so done.
At least I cited a source at all (which you haven't been doing for this little tangent, by the way, what with the Falcon Gun and all). Also, it's fine if there's sources to back it up, which there are in this case, namely the games. Not to mention that Wiki links have been accepted for pretty much the whole thread.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
:4falcon: has it with him more often than you think.

He doesn't stop time because he prefers to fight with his speed/natural abilities/friends, and sometimes Super Sonic.
Most people here don't need enhancement of their abilities to get everything done.

In his own words (probably paraphrased, but oh well), "an adventure's no fun if it's too easy!"
The DKC games are really hard (especially Returns and 2,) so does that give the monkeys an edge over the hedgehog?

i'm so done.
We all know how good the Sonic community is. :smirk:

At least I cited a source at all (which you haven't been doing for this little tangent, by the way, what with the Falcon Gun and all). Also, it's fine if there's sources to back it up, which there are in this case, namely the games. Not to mention that Wiki links have been accepted for pretty much the whole thread.
The gun is an example about fanon characters and not canon. Doing things they rather wouldn't. And I mentioned Spongebob because he has the strong and large enough arsenal to take down Super Sonic easily.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
:4falcon: has it with him more often than you think.

Most people here don't need enhancement of their abilities to get everything done.

The DKC games are really hard (especially Returns and 2,) so does that give the monkeys an edge over the hedgehog?

We all know how good the Sonic community is. :smirk:

The gun is an example about fanon characters and not canon. Doing things they rather wouldn't. And I mentioned Spongebob because he has the strong and large enough arsenal to take down Super Sonic easily.
Exactly. That's why it's viable as part of his character.

Samus needs the Power Suit, Mega Man needs the Robot Master abilities, Olimar needs the Pikmin, Fox/Falco need their tech, Link/Toon Link need their items, Villager needs items, the Fire Emblem characters need their swords/tomes, Luigi arguably relies on the Poltergust to stand out, both he and Mario rely on power-ups to accomplish most of the feats that make them really stand out, the list goes on.

No, the point I was making is just because Sonic prefers not to use Chaos powers doesn't mean he can't use them.

They're pretty great and pretty bad at the same time, lol.

Actually, the gun is often seen in a holster on his belt; it's even in his Smash 4 artwork. Also, I don't think being soft and squishy, jellyfishing, somehow having an infinite supply of limbs, and being a bad driver (the most notable things I could find him accomplishing, really) would allow a regular kitchen sponge to beat a three-foot, invincible, flying, time-freezing, teleporting supersonic hedgehog.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Sure if you look at the comics as "fan fiction."

Poor F-zero... Overlooked by everything.

(Why does that lizard thing look like he would serve K. Rool?)

Well, there's quite a few characters that he wouldn't be able to suck up, or would be able to resist it, with speed, teleportation, time freezing, invincibility, and other factors.
Or able to be too big... :troll:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'm going to present an argument for Samus' wave beam. In Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, the wave, light, and nova beam all shared the same arm cannon design. The wave beam was electrical energy, rather than energy waves. In MP2:E, the light beam was capable of piercing through enemies, just as the plasma beam can in 2D Metroid games. In MP3:C, the nova beam was able to pierce through Phazite and kill space pirates who wore Phazite armor, easier.

What's interesting is that light is an electromagnetic wave, as are high-frequencies, which the nova beam fires. This would place the nova beam's frequency between 3 to 30 MHz. This connection between the wave, light, and nova beam has me suspect that these beams are actually all firing electromagnetic waves and are weaponized. And should this be the case, then these beams all should travel at the speed of light in a vacuum.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Samus needs the Power Suit, Mega Man needs the Robot Master abilities, Olimar needs the Pikmin, Fox/Falco need their tech, Link/Toon Link need their items, Villager needs items, the Fire Emblem characters need their swords/tomes, Luigi arguably relies on the Poltergust to stand out, both he and Mario rely on power-ups to accomplish most of the feats that make them really stand out, the list goes on.
Maybe I should had said that they don't need uber-enhancements to defeat much smarter and stronger villains. :4samus: might be a close contender for Uber because @Dryn has stated just that.

Also, I don't think being soft and squishy, jellyfishing, somehow having an infinite supply of limbs, and being a bad driver (the most notable things I could find him accomplishing, really) would allow a regular kitchen sponge to beat a three-foot, invincible, flying, time-freezing, teleporting supersonic hedgehog.
There is the electric bowling ball of BOOM! that shocks anyone who gets close would be able to destroy the emeralds in one shot. Because Squarepants logic... (It's normal video game logic.)

Top Bottom