• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's Canonically the Strongest Character in Smash?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Just leaving with this, because it is quite hilarious. Literal quote from you below:
You lost your credibility long ago. Don't make it worse. Don't quote me.
"What they say" as in the Iwata Asks you provided, where the developers share information on development history, which has nothing to do with canonical events. "Clarifying which games are canon" as in the Sonic 3 & Knuckles example you provided a while back, which does relate to canon in that the statement is clarifying that Sonic 3 & Knuckles isn't canon.

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
Personally you should base the discussion on the base abilities of the characters. If you have to rely on items to buff yourself you could easily say if "insert character" got item and buffed themselves too then the playing field is even again. A perfect example is Cat Mario and Meowser. We aren't arguing who has the advantage since the game it comes from is a platformer but it just illustrates that if it works for one person it will work for everyone else too. The power up in question being a Bell that anyone can use. And in the same "battle" Meowser uses the Double Cherry powerup which does what it says.
Disagree, all characters should have access to one copy of items they use in their series as for many characters, like Mario, items are an important part of their arsenal/game ( albeit with certain exceptions like Mario's 1-UP). Also should exclude items characters "borrowed" on a temporary basis (i.e. the star rod for Mario or Bowser.)

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Disagree, all characters should have access to one copy of items they use in their series as for many characters, like Mario, items are an important part of their arsenal/game ( albeit with certain exceptions like Mario's 1-UP). Also should exclude items characters "borrowed" on a temporary basis (i.e. the star rod for Mario or Bowser.)
I can agree with this.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Well, I believe it was previously agreed we're having best conditions for each character, i.e. full inventory, max ammo, best gear, full health at the start, etc., but no extra lives. So for Mario, he can hold ten items, since that's the most recent game where he can hold items to use at any time (besides 3D World, but that's only one slot per player, and Mario deserves the advantage). Link has all his bomb bags, items, tunics, etc., and Sonic has all of the Chaos Emeralds and 999 Rings, as well as the five inventory slots he has in Lost World for him to put items/Wisps in.

Linq

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfLinq
3DS FC
4639-8962-6197
Link is the strongest, as his psychological prowess are so great that he can distract the King of Evil with a fishing rod and the Demon King with a bug net.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Her ability to reset the universe or do whether or not she would do it on command (I don't believe she would) is irrelevant to why I think she is the most powerful, FYI. She has it, but it's irrelevant to why I think she is the most powerful of these Smash characters.
Then why do you think she's the most powerful? Because we still have nothing about her ability to reset the Universe. The onus is on you and anyone who claims that.

Also, there were other stuff there when the Lumas were being sucked in. You can see Lumas being sucked in even before Young Master Luma gets sucked in, and other stuff gets sucked in even afterwards. Mario himself is actually one of the last things to go in.
As far as we know. If those things flying into the supermassive black holes are Lumas, then they're the last to go. I'd say they are, considering that's the design the Lumas have before Mario's Luma goes into the supermassive black hole.

It looks like a quasar.

After a big explosion of light (many of Rosalina's abilities have a "light" effect, like her protective barrier around herself and the Observatory), this scene follows directly after. A giant, ominous Rosalina, having personally saved Mario, emerges from the light, and speaks to him about what is happening.
So what you're saying is Rosalina caused a big bang?

And after telling him how the "cycle never repeats itself in quite the same way", she knowingly says, with a smile:

As if she knows what's going to happen. As if she's done this before, so she can assure that things will be stable once more.
You do realize one can know what will happen next without being the cause. If this has happened more than once before, then she would know what happens next.

I'm sorry, but the "Luma Sacrifice Theory" has too many holes. No Luma is blatantly shown to be sacrificed (and the one Luma you say was never turned into a planet, i.e. no sacrifice happened, he simply died and was reborn like everyone else).
Except we know that the Lumas crying are baby Lumas. How could they be babies unless they were reborn? And they would only be reborn because they died.

It would leave Rosalina, the supposed guardian of the universe, at the mercy of a natural cycle, which defeats the purpose of the role, and we see that she always retains it anyway, so she mustn't be at it's mercy.
But she never says she's the one. She says "itself" about the Universe reset, not her own power. If this was such a critical thing, it would be explicit.

On top of that, everything associated with her, even her original home, remains the same. If she wasn't in control, how could this one cottage and it's planet always remain? The planet has clearly aged, as she can only afford to visit every 100 years to check on it (and that amount of time likely does not even pass between resets). But the cottage remains in perfect condition.
Perhaps there is something mystical about it.

Also, it would be out of character for Rosalina to intentionally raise Lumas to effectively kill them all on purpose.
It would be out of character for Rosalina to not raise her Luma to love and care for others.

And now, you can see how, by virtue of Rosalina's demonstrated power, self-stated role as "watcher and protector of the cosmos", problems with the "Luma Sacrifice" theory, confidence in the notion that the universe will be fine, her everlasting "memorabilia", and even by virtue of the very process that takes place in the ending, that she is very heavily implied to be the godly powerful, mother of the cosmos.
As you know, the Luma who aids Mario is associated with Rosalina, who protects Mario. Think of it this way. In ancient times, the belief in Yahweh was that he sent messengers, which we call angels (because the Greek word for "messenger" is angelos"). Yahweh could be the watcher and protector of the world because he can look down from heaven and send his angels to minister people. The same can be said of Rosalina.

And if that's not enough:

She can communicate with us, and claim to, watch over us.
Considering she passes by the Mushroom Kingdom every 100 years, that's no surprise.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Well, in Mario canon, Mario isn't code on a disc; he's a plumber with jumping abilities and pyrokinesis (among other things). In R.O.B. canon (AKA real life), he's a plastic toy accessory to the NES. This thread is about taking each character from their respective canon and pitting them against each other. So, Mario wouldn't be on a disc, but R.O.B. would still be a plastic toy.

Victor Marczyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Duskblack
3DS FC
1950-8264-0245
Well, in Mario canon, Mario isn't code on a disc; he's a plumber with jumping abilities and pyrokinesis (among other things). In R.O.B. canon (AKA real life), he's a plastic toy accessory to the NES. This thread is about taking each character from their respective canon and pitting them against each other. So, Mario wouldn't be on a disc, but R.O.B. would still be a plastic toy.
Technically speaking, ROB exists in our universe while none of the other characters don't, and our universe is like the gateway to controlling the reality of all the universes of each character so ROB has this power. If this doesn't make sense then just understand that my love for ROB is one of a kind:4rob::rob:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Technically speaking, ROB exists in our universe while none of the other characters don't, and our universe is like the gateway to controlling the reality of all the universes of each character so ROB has this power. If this doesn't make sense then just understand that my love for ROB is one of a kind:4rob::rob:
Well, that's not how the topic works. It's about taking Mario from, say, Galaxy (or all other Mario games in the canon) and putting him in battle against R.O.B. from real life (his "canon"). In this discussion, all universes are equal, so Mario being on a disc in real life doesn't matter.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Well, in reality, I think Samus would be way up there. Sure, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong would be physically strong, but powered exoskeletons are a reality. Cyberdyne's HAL 5 allows the wearer to lift 10 times as much as he/she normally could. Then there's DARPA's 4 Minute Mile (4MM), which allows the wearer to run 15 mi/h. As far as an arm cannon goes, I'm not sure how that would actually work, but yeah.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Well, in reality, I think Samus would be way up there. Sure, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong would be physically strong, but powered exoskeletons are a reality. Cyberdyne's HAL 5 allows the wearer to lift 10 times as much as he/she normally could. Then there's DARPA's 4 Minute Mile (4MM), which allows the wearer to run 15 mi/h. As far as an arm cannon goes, I'm not sure how that would actually work, but yeah.
Well, if we're taking characters and putting them in a realistic environment, wouldn't they still keep their powers from their universes? Or do you mean finding real-life equivalents for the cast?

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Well, if we're taking characters and putting them in a realistic environment, wouldn't they still keep their powers from their universes? Or do you mean finding real-life equivalents for the cast?
So would mario be an italian plumber or paper? Yoshi could be a dinosaur skeleton or a yarn ball....and olimar would be a glorified bacteria

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Yeah, but what I'm talking about is if the entire cast was real. Someone named JOE! made a thread about real life Smash characters while WhatIsRaizen? made a thread about who would be canonically the most powerful. (By the way, I wonder if we should consider the bosses in the Smash series as well like JOE! did for his thread.)

With respect to weaponry, I'd compare Samus' wavebuster to an electrolaser, and her flamethrower would be just a flamethrower.

Anyway, I shouldn't digress.

So would mario be an italian plumber or paper? Yoshi could be a dinosaur skeleton or a yarn ball....and olimar would be a glorified bacteria
Haha! That's funny.

Last edited by a moderator:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I absolutely agree with this.

However, by the same sentiment, I believe Duck Hunt would be an exceptionally strong character, because they break the fourth wall and are thus, in fact, incapable of being harmed even in their own universe. Or rather, in their cannon universe, they are in part, us, from another dimension, from whence they cannot be attacked at all.

Vex514

Smash Cadet
Well, if we're talking throughout all their canon, Sonic has reached speeds (as Super Sonic) rivaling those of the Flash who is arguably the strongest character in the DC universe (even stronger than Superman, yes). Super Sonic (in the Archie Comics) has run so fast he's broken the time barrier. At those kinds of speeds, a punch from him would shatter reality itself. Outside of a godlike entity (Rosalina perhaps) I just don't see a single character living up to the power Super Sonic has. But if we're just sticking to games, regular Sonic is just fast haha

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Well, if we're talking throughout all their canon, Sonic has reached speeds (as Super Sonic) rivaling those of the Flash who is arguably the strongest character in the DC universe (even stronger than Superman, yes). Super Sonic (in the Archie Comics) has run so fast he's broken the time barrier. At those kinds of speeds, a punch from him would shatter reality itself. Outside of a godlike entity (Rosalina perhaps) I just don't see a single character living up to the power Super Sonic has. But if we're just sticking to games, regular Sonic is just fast haha
We ignore the comics to avoid things like this, aka Silver Age Superman level BS.

P.S. your right if we did include comics. Sonic trumps anyone on the roster.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Shulk in Xenoblade's End-Game is the strongest.

Anyone who's seen it knows I'm right.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Shulk in Xenoblade's End-Game is the strongest.

Anyone who's seen it knows I'm right.
That's been discussed here before, but someone brought up the fact that Shulk basically allowed Alvis to reset the universe (it's been spoiled here before). He's basically like the administrator account on a computer with the ability to reset the universe, rather than having that power natively.
Well, in the game canon, Super Sonic can move at the speed of light, freeze time, teleport, slow down time, and a bunch of other crazy stuff. I'd say Sonic would be likely to win pretty much any battle with that time-freezing ability, in fact.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Well, in the game canon, Super Sonic can move at the speed of light, freeze time, teleport, slow down time, and a bunch of other crazy stuff. I'd say Sonic would be likely to win pretty much any battle with that time-freezing ability, in fact.
I only see one issue other than :4wario2:. How many games did he use those? I mean seriously if the only way to defeat the final boss is the Chaos Emeralds, then why use them when you conquered more evil and wiser villains with just your skills. The Donkey Kong series has much more sadistic bad guys than every other franchise here. K. Rool tortured :4dk: and :4diddy: in DKC2 and 3, kills his own minions for not obeying, and can be what ever he wants. (Who needs multiple villains when you have a kaptain, scientist, pharaoh, and boxer in one person?) To top things off the King is pretty smart. (Kaptain Syrup is intelligent too.) Don't get me started on Tiki Tong's method of torture. (Lets just say that the difficulty kompetes with DKC2.)

Kreepy Kastle is a level that requires the same bravery to implement that only Rare had. Wario's Worlds are pretty wacky. (Mario was going to have one but the game was only 33% komplete before kanceled.)

In the feats department the monkeys with a rap and a greedy fat man are alone, and maybe that's a good thing.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I only see one issue other than :4wario2:. How many games did he use those? I mean seriously if the only way to defeat the final boss is the Chaos Emeralds, then why use them when you conquered more evil and wiser villains with just your skills. The Donkey Kong series has much more sadistic bad guys than every other franchise here. K. Rool tortured :4dk: and :4diddy: in DKC2 and 3, kills his own minions for not obeying, and can be what ever he wants. (Who needs multiple villains when you have a kaptain, scientist, pharaoh, and boxer in one person?) To top things off the King is pretty smart. (Kaptain Syrup is intelligent too.) Don't get me started on Tiki Tong's method of torture. (Lets just say that the difficulty kompetes with DKC2.)

Kreepy Kastle is a level that requires the same bravery to implement that only Rare had. Wario's Worlds are pretty wacky. (Mario was going to have one but the game was only 33% komplete before kanceled.)

In the feats department the monkeys with a rap and a greedy fat man are alone, and maybe that's a good thing.
If you'd actually read the articles I linked, you'd know that Sonic uses the Emeralds in most of his games. Sonic uses the Emeralds for most final bosses because he has access to them, mainly just to be safe (he didn't in the Perfect Chaos fight in Generations because he didn't have all the Emeralds necessary to turn Super Sonic). A crocodile that happens to be mean < multiple god monsters. Speaking of, your K. Rool talk is getting old. We get it, K. Rool is cruel. He's not a fighter, and he's not a particularly impressive feat to defeat (compared to other characters' villains, at least), so please stop bringing him up. It's getting annoying.

Rare and the developers of Wario's Woods took development risks. How does that matter at all in this discussion?

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706

I'm pretty sure ur just drumming up discussion, but I'll play along. So what feats should we attribute to the current donkey Kong since this one is like the great grandson of the original or something.

And do Diddy feats carry over to donkey when the new one takes up the mantel?

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
Well, I believe it was previously agreed we're having best conditions for each character, i.e. full inventory, max ammo, best gear, full health at the start, etc., but no extra lives. So for Mario, he can hold ten items, since that's the most recent game where he can hold items to use at any time (besides 3D World, but that's only one slot per player, and Mario deserves the advantage). Link has all his bomb bags, items, tunics, etc., and Sonic has all of the Chaos Emeralds and 999 Rings, as well as the five inventory slots he has in Lost World for him to put items/Wisps in.
I'm sorry, I should have clarified. When I said one item, I was thinking about people like Mario or Sonic who have power-ups rather than items. For example I don't think Mario should have an infinite amount of Megashrooms or Super stars. I wouldn't be opposed to your example of Mario only holding ten items but I think it would better if he got access to each of his power-ups (like Metal Cap, Vanish Cap, Frog Suit) but he can only use them once.

I completely agree with what you said about Sonic getting 999 rings and all 7 chaos emeralds but I also think he should be able to use power-ups like his thunder shield, flame shield, etc but only once.

Does that make sense?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I'm sorry, I should have clarified. When I said one item, I was thinking about people like Mario or Sonic who have power-ups rather than items. For example I don't think Mario should have an infinite amount of Megashrooms or Super stars. I wouldn't be opposed to your example of Mario only holding ten items but I think it would better if he got access to each of his power-ups (like Metal Cap, Vanish Cap, Frog Suit) but he can only use them once.

I completely agree with what you said about Sonic getting 999 rings and all 7 chaos emeralds but I also think he should be able to use power-ups like his thunder shield, flame shield, etc but only once.

Does that make sense?
I think it's fair to use each consumable item (power-ups, potions, etc.) only once, but ammunition (such as Link's arrows or even Rings for Sonic, since they fuel Super Sonic) should be put at its maximum level at the start of the battle.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
I think it's fair to use each consumable item (power-ups, potions, etc.) only once, but ammunition (such as Link's arrows or even Rings for Sonic, since they fuel Super Sonic) should be put at its maximum level at the start of the battle.
If :4sonic: has to stop time to not get dominated TF2 style by anyone who can throw stronger punches than his, what if he goes against someone that can't be affected at all? Prepare to meet Spongebob! Yes, I know, the Sponge is not in smash. Yes, he might never be. But even Squarepants is more physically capable than a hedgehog who had to go super duper pooper scooper godly to get stuff done.

If you've played a Spongebob game you know that the Bob has a happy-go-lucky fighting style. (Like :4yoshi:.) So laying the smack down in a mind-controlled citizen is normal. Spinning through robots with spiky hair might be cool, but what if you could destroy a mini-tank with a bubble wand? Electric explosive bowling balls? What an, odd ball! Despite his goofiness, Spongebob likely has the arsenal to take down Super Sonic since he even blew robots to pieces with his bare hands! Imagine Squarepants using metal karate gloves to break the emeralds. (Yes, Metal Karate Gloves were a thing in The Movie Game.)

Then we reach Plankton. The evil microscopic organism that has dedicated his whole life to getting a recipe for disaster. Eggman has lots of robots but they lake personality. Plankton's how ever DO have character, at least when set on disobey. I love it when games give their enemies some emotion, even when it is minimal.

Not to forget that Sheldon (that is Plankton's last name...) actually succeed when the Krabby Patty Formula, and guess what happened..... It had to same result of Robotnik capturing the Emeralds. And don't think that it was godly or anything.... because the KPF is a recipe for a burger. That's like :4bowser: trying to rule the Mushroom Kingdom, with fish, or :4ganondorf: with fried chicken... And he's even more evil considering that Restaurants are there for money to keep running and nothing else.

If you want me to stop just don't use instant wins for wimps to not be in absolute last place. I even know that :4sonic: has fighting capabilities, so no trying to fool me that he can..... Because I know!! :evil:

I'm pretty sure ur just drumming up discussion, but I'll play along. So what feats should we attribute to the current donkey Kong since this one is like the great grandson of the original or something.

And do Diddy feats carry over to donkey when the new one takes up the mantel?
I cause trouble when it happens.

Maybe we shouldn't Cranky's feats transferring to :4dk: except for TF when he went on an adventure with :4diddy: and Dixie too. :4diddy:'s feats would transfer with :4dk: on the DKC 1, Returns and Land 1 since they both were on it together.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Sonic is one of the strongest unless you're going against someone who could manipulate time. As the fastest thing alive, they wouldn't even be able to land a hit and he's been shown to be able to create hurricanes that destroy pretty everything around him (Black knight) just be running. Even without chaos emeralds he's been shown to have the potential to beat literal gods like chaos in generations

There's also any character who can use telekinesis as they could just hold the opponent in place and crush them

I thought his acceleration was higher, but his top speed is lower...cant remember where i read that.
Isn't it like that in the SA2 multiplayer?

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Metal sonic is Truly faster than sonic
"(...) allowing [Metal Sonic] to reach speed reaching that of Mach 5- however, he cannot sustain it for long without risking his own destruction."
Compared to:
"[Sonic, after turning into Super Sonic] can now move at speed of light (...)"
It's even hinted at in Unleashed that regular Sonic can run far beyond the speed of light (the Light Speed dash clocks in at 300-something SPD (not MPH, mind you), while Sonic can reach above 2000 SPD.
If :4sonic: has to stop time to not get dominated TF2 style by anyone who can throw stronger punches than his, what if he goes against someone that can't be affected at all? Prepare to meet Spongebob! Yes, I know, the Sponge is not in smash. Yes, he might never be. But even Squarepants is more physically capable than a hedgehog who had to go super duper pooper scooper godly to get stuff done.
I never said he had to freeze time. I just said it would give him yet another advantage, which he really doesn't need honestly; it's just for good measure. I'm going to ignore the Spongebob talk, because it's Spongebob. (But Sheldon is Plankton's first name, and Plankton is his last. I don't know why I know this.)
If you want me to stop just don't use instant wins for wimps to not be in absolute last place. I even know that :4sonic: has fighting capabilities, so no trying to fool me that he can..... Because I know!!
Um, okay?
I thought his acceleration was higher, but his top speed is lower...cant remember where i read that.
Well, that's what it says in the Sonic Wiki page I linked, but considering Sonic can pretty much accelerate from zero to top speed in less than a second thanks to the Spin Dash, Light Speed Dash, Boost, etc., that seems sort of unlikely.
Sonic is one of the strongest unless you're going against someone who could manipulate time. As the fastest thing alive, they wouldn't even be able to land a hit and he's been shown to be able to create hurricanes that destroy pretty everything around him (Black knight) just be running. Even without chaos emeralds he's been shown to have the potential to beat literal gods like chaos in generations

There's also any character who can use telekinesis as they could just hold the opponent in place and crush them
Actually, Sonic is one of those characters that can manipulate time, thanks to Chaos Control. Also, I think he did the Blue Tornado move in Sonic Heroes as well, IIRC.

Last edited:

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Well, that's what it says in the Sonic Wiki page I linked, but considering Sonic can pretty much accelerate from zero to top speed in less than a second thanks to the Spin Dash, Light Speed Dash, Boost, etc., that seems sort of unlikely.

I dont think he can get to "top speed" whatever that is instantly with any of those techniques. While his acceleration is beyond my comprehension, he still needs time to traverse some distance. While metal sonic can purportedly teleport unaided.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I dont think he can get to "top speed" whatever that is instantly with any of those techniques. While his acceleration is beyond my comprehension, he still needs time to traverse some distance. While metal sonic can purportedly teleport unaided.
Acceleration =/= top speed. Even with instant acceleration, he still needs time to run at his top speed to his destination. Unless, of course, he teleports with Chaos Control.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Acceleration =/= top speed. Even with instant acceleration, he still needs time to run at his top speed to his destination. Unless, of course, he teleports with Chaos Control.
So metal sonic is in theory stronger than regular sonic because he is essentially sonic and shadow combined. Now i see why eggman is so frustrated all the time.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Here's the thing though....
does it matter what other characters can do
if their minds are vulnerable to the psychic guys
Who can just control their actions, and use their powers as their own?

Scenario:
Rosalina, Shulk, and Sonic are fighting
Doing whatever you all just said they can do.

Mewtwo comes in, 'disables,' their powers, or flat out uses them as puppets against one another.
With his minions, he then takes control.

Last edited:

Ice!

Smash Apprentice
Just logged in after 5 years to say this:

Samus is invincible during screw attack and she can do it indefinitely :4diddy:

Top Bottom