• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's Canonically the Strongest Character in Smash?

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
i would think roselina or pauletana or maybe shulk since he can see the future

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Acording to the Sonic Wikia " It is unknown how much faster Sonic can run beyond Mach 1, though it is on various occasions assumed that he can. In Sonic Battle, it is stated that he can move several times the speed of sound and when the Final Egg Blaster was about to fire, Sonic defeated Ultimate Emerl in less than 30 seconds. It is also believed that Sonic can move faster while in spinball form than running, possibly even reaching the speed of light as seen in Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes where he could utilize the Light Speed Attak and the Light Speed Dash to achieve light speed movements. Also, in Sonic Unleashed, the Chekpoint, which measure his speed (SPD) in-game, can clock Sonic going over 2,800 SPD; in comparison, the Light Speed Dash measures 396 SPD. This may suggest that Sonic can move at speeds far greater than the speed of light. "

So , Sonic even in his normal form can escape a black hole ?
It could just mean SPD isn't an accurate thing to work with in terms of Sonic's speed. As I said before, if Sonic can dash at light speed, it seems to be in bursts. This doesn't mean Sonic isn't high up on the tier list, though.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So thanks to a friend of mine being hooked on astronomy, and me knowing Rosalina and the events of the Galaxy games inside out, we made a very cool discovery while in casual conversation, that seems completely intentional on the part of the developers - a scientific explanation for what exactly Rosalina does, that still has an element of fantasy to it. And I think it speaks volumes about the power she has.

We discovered that in Super Mario Galaxy, Rosalina controls and is responsible for the real life scientific process of "conservation of mass" (or something similar, like a fictional variation of it), on a universal scale.

I knew Galaxy's ending was connected to SOMETHING real all of this time, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

The process/theory of conservation of mass is, in short, the fact that matter (as in, atoms, the particles that make up pretty much everything in the universe), is never created or destroyed. Instead, it is rearranged to form new things, even if the previous objects these atoms formed are destroyed. When objects are destroyed (this includes the death of living things), the atoms simply scatter, and at some point, will form something new. All of us are likely made up of atoms that are millions of years old. This should not be confused with "reincarnation", which is a spiritual belief. Conservation of mass is a scientific process, and has been proven to happen naturally. Humans already have control over the process, but only on a smaller scale (it's used in chemistry, for example, for mixing the atoms of different chemicals to create new materials).

So what has this got to do with Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy's ending?

Take the following dialogue from Rosalina to Mario while the universe was being reborn:

"Do you hear the baby stars? These newborns will grow up to become galaxies someday.
When stars die, they turn to stardust and scatter across the cosmos.
Eventually, that stardust reforms to create a new star... And so the cycle of life continues.

But the cycle never repeats itself in quite the same way..."

...Doesn't that sound AWFULLY familiar?

Maybe a "TEENY" bit like conservation of mass?
But hey - it's like her detractors might say - "it was only to do with the Lumas. This had nothing to do with anyone or anything else".

...Right?

Actually, no. While Rosalina does describe it in the context of Lumas in that instance, she later (right before Mario shouts out "Welcome! Welcome, New Galaxy!") goes on to say:

"Yes....All new life carries the essence of stars...even all of you...."

So everything in the universe "carries the essence of stars". And "the essence of stars", is stardust. And from Rosalina's description of what stardust is and how it functions, it's essentially atoms (I reckon they just use the term "stardust" so as to keep a sense of fantastical charm to the whole idea, as opposed to confusing younger audiences by using actual scientific terms).

As for how Rosalina is in control of all of this, well, think - why isn't she any different between the original universe in Galaxy 1, and the new one? Why isn't everything that's specifically associated with her any different (her original home, the Observatory, Mario's gang whom she now values as dear friends, etc)?

The only explanation is that she has control over all of it. Heck, Rosalina and Mario are clearly shown to be perfectly in tact during the process. And of course, Rosalina understands the whole thing really well, and seems to be speaking from experience rather than citing a legend, or a theory (it explains her age being beyond comprehension too).

Plus it ties in well with her motherly role for the Lumas - she raises them specifically so they can be reborn as whatever they most want to be (which is basically how any good mother should be). She raises them, allows them to die, and allows them to be reborn as whatever it is they wish.

When Lumas transform, they are also doing their own version of conservation of mass, but you'll notice when Lumas form a new galaxy, they are always very spontaneous and not inhabitable by the average creature. They have no real structure and are just a big mess, usually representing a central idea (e.g. Sweet Sweet Galaxy representing the Lumas' child-like sweet tooth, which has always been apparent, since they eat Star Bits, which are supposed to be very sweet).

Rosalina, however, has very deliberate control. She keeps some things totally the same in her universal redistribution of atoms, and also forms new things from the old atoms.

This is an awesome detail the developers put in, and gives a realistic, yet fantastical explanation as to what exactly Rosalina does.

It's even referenced in Smash Bros, in how when you lose Luma, a new one is born seconds later. And in her trailer for Smash, they set up an animation of her creating a Luma in-game, using her down taunt.

I just thought this was really cool and wanted to share it here, since it is relevant. People like scientific connections for the things characters do, as it helps us relate to and understand their power. And I've finally figured it out in Rosalina's case.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
So thanks to a friend of mine being hooked on astronomy, and me knowing Rosalina and the events of the Galaxy games inside out, we made a very cool discovery while in casual conversation, that seems completely intentional on the part of the developers - a scientific explanation for what exactly Rosalina does, that still has an element of fantasy to it. And I think it speaks volumes about the power she has.

We discovered that in Super Mario Galaxy, Rosalina controls and is responsible for the real life scientific process of "conservation of mass" (or something similar, like a fictional variation of it), on a universal scale.

I knew Galaxy's ending was connected to SOMETHING real all of this time, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

The process/theory of conservation of mass is, in short, the fact that matter (as in, atoms, the particles that make up pretty much everything in the universe), is never created or destroyed. Instead, it is rearranged to form new things, even if the previous objects these atoms formed are destroyed. When objects are destroyed (this includes the death of living things), the atoms simply scatter, and at some point, will form something new. All of us are likely made up of atoms that are millions of years old. This should not be confused with "reincarnation", which is a spiritual belief. Conservation of mass is a scientific process, and has been proven to happen naturally. Humans already have control over the process, but only on a smaller scale (it's used in chemistry, for example, for mixing the atoms of different chemicals to create new materials).

So what has this got to do with Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy's ending?

Take the following dialogue from Rosalina to Mario while the universe was being reborn:

"Do you hear the baby stars? These newborns will grow up to become galaxies someday.
When stars die, they turn to stardust and scatter across the cosmos.
Eventually, that stardust reforms to create a new star... And so the cycle of life continues.

But the cycle never repeats itself in quite the same way..."

...Doesn't that sound AWFULLY familiar?

Maybe a "TEENY" bit like conservation of mass?
But hey - it's like her detractors might say - "it was only to do with the Lumas. This had nothing to do with anyone or anything else".

...Right?

Actually, no. While Rosalina does describe it in the context of Lumas in that instance, she later (right before Mario shouts out "Welcome! Welcome, New Galaxy!") goes on to say:

"Yes....All new life carries the essence of stars...even all of you...."

So everything in the universe "carries the essence of stars". And "the essence of stars", is stardust. And from Rosalina's description of what stardust is and how it functions, it's essentially atoms (I reckon they just use the term "stardust" so as to keep a sense of fantastical charm to the whole idea, as opposed to confusing younger audiences by using actual scientific terms).

As for how Rosalina is in control of all of this, well, think - why isn't she any different between the original universe in Galaxy 1, and the new one? Why isn't everything that's specifically associated with her any different (her original home, the Observatory, Mario's gang whom she now values as dear friends, etc)?

The only explanation is that she has control over all of it. Heck, Rosalina and Mario are clearly shown to be perfectly in tact during the process. And of course, Rosalina understands the whole thing really well, and seems to be speaking from experience rather than citing a legend, or a theory (it explains her age being beyond comprehension too).

Plus it ties in well with her motherly role for the Lumas - she raises them specifically so they can be reborn as whatever they most want to be (which is basically how any good mother should be). She raises them, allows them to die, and allows them to be reborn as whatever it is they wish.

When Lumas transform, they are also doing their own version of conservation of mass, but you'll notice when Lumas form a new galaxy, they are always very spontaneous and not inhabitable by the average creature. They have no real structure and are just a big mess, usually representing a central idea (e.g. Sweet Sweet Galaxy representing the Lumas' child-like sweet tooth, which has always been apparent, since they eat Star Bits, which are supposed to be very sweet).

Rosalina, however, has very deliberate control. She keeps some things totally the same in her universal redistribution of atoms, and also forms new things from the old atoms.

This is an awesome detail the developers put in, and gives a realistic, yet fantastical explanation as to what exactly Rosalina does.

It's even referenced in Smash Bros, in how when you lose Luma, a new one is born seconds later. And in her trailer for Smash, they set up an animation of her creating a Luma in-game, using her down taunt.

I just thought this was really cool and wanted to share it here, since it is relevant. People like scientific connections for the things characters do, as it helps us relate to and understand their power. And I've finally figured it out in Rosalina's case.
That should have been obvious. Well, I suppose if you watched Cosmos: A Personal Voyage where Carl Sagan makes it known that we're made up of "star stuff", you would have caught that sooner. And actually, the atoms would be billions of years old. So you're still set on thinking Rosalina is in control of all of what's going on. Considering the cosmic event at the end represents more of a big bounce than a big bang, for all we know, the Marioverse is experiencing an alternate dimension where only few things are changed. Not everything has to be changed, since in SMG2, the Red Bob-Omb recognizes Mario.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Everything not changing is obvious, I already pointed that out. It doesn't really effect anything either way. As we know a LOT changes.

And Throwback Galaxy is just a pure nostalgia level anyway. SMG2 was Miyamoto's Galaxy, and had little regard for story. So him throwing in a Mario 64 level was just him doing so for the sake of it, it doesn't have any relevance to anything.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Everything not changing is obvious, I already pointed that out. It doesn't really effect anything either way. As we know a LOT changes.

And Throwback Galaxy is just a pure nostalgia level anyway. SMG2 was Miyamoto's Galaxy, and had little regard for story. So him throwing in a Mario 64 level was just him doing so for the sake of it, it doesn't have any relevance to anything.
It's still part of the series, so it does, regardless of whether or not you like it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
No, it doesn't effect anything, because regardless of whether or not you take that one level into consideration, nothing changes. It doesn't contradict anything. It was already shown that not everyone and everything changes. Rosalina still recognises Mario and co, and vice versa, like I said.

And...actually, I just checked a video.

The Red Bob-Omb doesn't say anything about recognising Mario. It just calls him "'stache man" and asks Mario to help take down Thwomp.

WyvernLord

Smash Cadet
NNID
WyvernLord
3DS FC
0860-3366-4038
Woo my first post!
Hopefully its not too spoilery!

S-rank - :4shulk::rosalina::4palutena:(because they are gods):4ganondorf::4zelda::4link::4robinm:(god like powers and unable to permanently die)
A-rank - :4samus:(super versatile and powerful):4myfriends:(kills a lesser god):4lucina:(!SPOILERS! can kill Robin who is a demon god !SPOILERS!) :4kirby:(pretty much a walking black hole who can obtain any power):4ness:(can stand his ground against an entity capable of destroying the universe)

B-rank - :4mario::4luigi::4dk::4bowser::4sonic::4megaman::4littlemac::4falcon::4charizard::4lucario::4greninja::4pit::4darkpit::4falco::4fox::4marth::4dedede::4metaknight::4wario2:(all strong fighters who don't have any huge glaring weaknesses but not as powerful as the above(not to say they cannot beat A and S rankers))

C-rank - :4pacman::4bowserjr::4diddy::4pikachu::4yoshi:(capable fighters but outclassed by stronger relatives/related characters)

D-rank - :4jigglypuff::4duckhunt::4villager::4gaw::4wiifitm::4rob::4peach::4olimar:(not even fighters(besides jiggly) mostly just regular humans/weak people)

The actual strongest Nintendo character would probably be Arceus, a creature so powerful that it creates multiple universes, create beings that manage space and time, change shape at will, be any type it wants and being the strongest of its kind in world that contains creatures that can destroy city's by using their mind :mewtwopm:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Woo my first post!
You forgot to add this character:

It takes a beating from every other character/god and never breaks apart. it just gets put back on the podium to take more beating. If any other character took that much of a beating over and over, they would be dead. Either permanently, or dead and awaiting resurrection.

So my strongest character in SSB is Sandbag.

And Sandbag does not even feel pain according to this trophy description. It loves getting beat up.

Last edited:

WyvernLord

Smash Cadet
NNID
WyvernLord
3DS FC
0860-3366-4038
You forgot to add this character:

It takes a beating from every other character/god and never breaks apart. it just gets put back on the podium to take more beating. If any other character took that much of a beating over and over, they would be dead. Either permanently, or dead and awaiting resurrection.

So my strongest character in SSB is Sandbag.

And Sandbag does not even feel pain according to this trophy description. It loves getting beat up.
He's in there, you just can't see him because of how high he ranks

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well if we're going to talk about damage being not much of a bother to characters:

"Fallen Rosalina. Strange how calm and nonchalant she looks even when she takes damage. Is it because she's from outer space?"

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Woo my first post!

S-rank - :4shulk::rosalina::4palutena:(because they are gods):4ganondorf::4zelda::4link::4robinm:(god like powers and unable to permanently die)
A-rank - :4samus:(super versatile and powerful):4myfriends:(kills a lesser god):4lucina:(!SPOILERS! can kill Robin who is a demon god !SPOILERS!) :4kirby:(pretty much a walking black hole who can obtain any power):4ness:(can stand his ground against an entity capable of destroying the universe)

B-rank - :4mario::4luigi::4dk::4bowser::4sonic::4megaman::4littlemac::4falcon::4charizard::4lucario::4greninja::4pit::4darkpit::4falco::4fox::4marth::4dedede::4metaknight::4wario2:(all strong fighters who don't have any huge glaring weaknesses but not as powerful as the above(not to say they cannot beat A and S rankers))

C-rank - :4pacman::4bowserjr::4diddy::4pikachu::4yoshi:(capable fighters but outclassed by stronger relatives/related characters)

D-rank - :4jigglypuff::4duckhunt::4villager::4gaw::4wiifitm::4rob::4peach::4olimar:(not even fighters(besides jiggly) mostly just regular humans/weak people)

The actual strongest Nintendo character would probably be Arceus, a creature so powerful that it creates multiple universes, create beings that manage space and time, change shape at will, be any type it wants and being the strongest of its kind in world that contains creatures that can destroy city's by using their mind :mewtwopm:
Last time I checked, :4pit: and :4darkpit: have killed lesser gods too.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
No, it doesn't effect anything, because regardless of whether or not you take that one level into consideration, nothing changes. It doesn't contradict anything. It was already shown that not everyone and everything changes. Rosalina still recognises Mario and co, and vice versa, like I said.

And...actually, I just checked a video.

The Red Bob-Omb doesn't say anything about recognising Mario. It just calls him "'stache man" and asks Mario to help take down Thwomp.
That's a different one. He says, "Hey, you! Guy with the 'stache! You came along just in time!" The one I'm talking about says, "Hey, 'stache man! You look kind of familiar . . ."

Well, Samus better be very high on the tier list. Power bombs kill even Rhedogians in one hit, and these creatures are capable of withstanding multiple shots from the Plasma Beam and hits from the Screw Attack (they can comfortably survive substances of extreme temperatures like lava), especially the Screw Attack, which kills many creatures instantly, including Gigafraugs.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That's a different one. He says, "Hey, you! Guy with the 'stache! You came along just in time!" The one I'm talking about says, "Hey, 'stache man! You look kind of familiar . . ."

Well, Samus better be very high on the tier list. Power bombs kill even Rhedogians in one hit, and these creatures are capable of withstanding multiple shots from the Plasma Beam and hits from the Screw Attack (they can comfortably survive substances of extreme temperatures like lava), especially the Screw Attack, which kills many creatures instantly, including Gigafraugs.
That's no different to Young Master Luma also seeing Mario as vaguely familiar, though.

So characters recognising each other already has a basis. Some people obviously retain vague memories of their previous life.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
All right, so there is a method I think can help figure out the quickest as to who would defeat who. This is done by taking a character, such as Mario, and placing him in a universe, such as the Zeldaverse. If Mario could get through the same journey Link could, but with his own abilities, not Link's, then we could say Mario and Link are on par with each other. However, if Link went through the Marioverse, but couldn't get through the same journey, then Mario would be able to defeat Link. If two characters could make it through the other's universe, then more would need to be discussed.

the8thark

Smash Lord
All right, so there is a method I think can help figure out the quickest as to who would defeat who. This is done by taking a character, such as Mario, and placing him in a universe, such as the Zeldaverse. If Mario could get through the same journey Link could, but with his own abilities, not Link's, then we could say Mario and Link are on par with each other. However, if Link went through the Marioverse, but couldn't get through the same journey, then Mario would be able to defeat Link. If two characters could make it through the other's universe, then more would need to be discussed.
Fox McCloud wins this easily. He can just use his Arwing lasers and smart bombs to blitz everything. And for places too small for Arwings, he has his gun and dinosaur planet stick. Also there is the Blue Marine for under water missions. The only thing Fox can't do is travel at 1500KM an hour on the racetrack like Falcon can.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There are so many characters who could get through other character's journeys like it's nothing, though, so I'm not sure if it means much.

Funnily enough, we have a base for this in the case of Sonic - he got to travel through Hyrule and Yoshi's Island in some Sonic Lost World DLC. The Yoshi's Island level in particular definitely felt like it was designed like an actual Yoshi's Island level.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Fox McCloud wins this easily. He can just use his Arwing lasers and smart bombs to blitz everything. And for places too small for Arwings, he has his gun and dinosaur planet stick. Also there is the Blue Marine for under water missions. The only thing Fox can't do is travel at 1500KM an hour on the racetrack like Falcon can.
Well, when you blow things up, life is so much easier. The arwing can fly Mach 4.2 and since altitudes change the speed of sound, 660 mi/h times 4.2 would mean the arwing can fly 2,772 mi/h. Of course, flying at top speed isn't always the best when you're trying to kill your opponents.

Anyway, from my calculation about the Nightmare yesterday, taking the distance Samus' missile traveled in Metroid Fusion covered 0.835596330275229336 m. I cannot press the button on my stopwatch to stop the timer. I always end up with 13 milliseconds, even though I'm sure in the game, it's lower. If I went with 1 ms from the time it traveled this distance, then Samus' missiles would travel at 835.6 m/s, or Mach 2.44. If at 2 ms, 417.8 m/s, or Mach 1.22.

There are so many characters who could get through other character's journeys like it's nothing, though, so I'm not sure if it means much.
Such as? I could see Samus getting through the Mario and Zeldaverse just fine, but not quite the other way around. Same with Pit, though there is probably a way for Mario and Link to journey through the Kid Icarus universe without much of a problem. When journeying through these places, we also have to take into consideration the enemies and bosses they'd face against.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Give Mario his power-ups, and he'll deal with the Kid Icarus and Metroid universe just fine (which is fair, since Pit relied on weapons and divine help). He can fly with the Wing Cap or Rocket Mario, so he's fine for maneuverability. Same could be said for Link and his tools. Give him Loftwing and he's golden for flying about the KI:U universe.

In fact this applies to pretty much everyone, since most Nintendo heroes do rely on tools and power-ups to get through a lot of their own adventures. So we're either letting them use their own power ups and items, or the ones from that universe (though the latter more or less defeats the purpose of the experiment).

And putting the character in a universe doesn't mean much on it's own because it depends on the individual situations at hand. For example, Samus could get through 3D World just fine. However, what about Galaxy? She could probably get through it fine - up until the ending. Assuming Rosalina is not present to help, she would be screwed. Probably the only character who could handle Galaxy's ending without Rosalina is Shulk, assuming he is how he is at the end of Xenoblade Chronicles.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Give Mario his power-ups, and he'll deal with the Kid Icarus and Metroid universe just fine (which is fair, since Pit relied on weapons and divine help). He can fly with the Wing Cap or Rocket Mario, so he's fine for maneuverability. Same could be said for Link and his tools. Give him Loftwing and he's golden for flying about the KI:U universe.

In fact this applies to pretty much everyone, since most Nintendo heroes do rely on tools and power-ups to get through a lot of their own adventures. So we're either letting them use their own power ups and items, or the ones from that universe (though the latter more or less defeats the purpose of the experiment).

And putting the character in a universe doesn't mean much on it's own because it depends on the individual situations at hand. For example, Samus could get through 3D World just fine. However, what about Galaxy? She could probably get through it fine - up until the ending. Assuming Rosalina is not present to help, she would be screwed. Probably the only character who could handle Galaxy's ending without Rosalina is Shulk, assuming he is how he is at the end of Xenoblade Chronicles.
Mario often uses only his innate abilities. Blessings from gods is consistent in the Kid Icarus series, just like it's consistent for Ganondorf to receive a divine blessing from Din in the Zelda series. Mario often goes through the series without carrying any items. In Super Mario Bros. 3, he has items, which he can use before selecting a level to play in. The only games I'm aware of where Mario carries his items around are in Super Mario RPG and the Paper Mario series. If we use that version of Mario (which I think is the strongest version), then great. However, I still fail to see how he'd make it through the Metroidverse.

Pick-up items are just that. They are picked up throughout the level, but they're easily lost as well and cannot be obtained except by going to certain levels with certain pick-ups. As for the ending of SMG was because a planet comes into contact with Bowser's sun. This is where the destruction begins. Seeing as how Samus wouldn't settle for Bowser to get far, it wouldn't have happened in the first place.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In that case, all pick-ups in a particular universe should be useable by anyone who goes to that universe. Such as Mario using Kid Icarus weapons (maybe he decided to enter a "Light VS Dark" tournament, and got access to them that way?). Which is why it seems a bit redundant to think about these universe switches.

Plus, Mario can carry power-ups in a lot of games. He can store an inventory in the NSMB series and use as many power-ups as he needs before entering a level. Super Mario 3D World also lets him store power-ups, and if four players are present, he can store four and throw all four of them out in the middle of a level.

Whether or not Mario can use power-ups in levels or on the World Map is just gameplay-story segregation. The fact remains that, regardless of that, most Mario games allow him to store things in an inventory and then use them at some point, be it platformers, M&L series, Paper Mario, or even the Adventure Tours in Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games on the DS. The "point" at which he can use them is irrelevant to the capacity of his ability to do this, because it changes from game to game, merely to fit the design of that game, and keep said game balanced and challenging for the player.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
In that case, all pick-ups in a particular universe should be useable by anyone who goes to that universe. Such as Mario using Kid Icarus weapons (maybe he decided to enter a "Light VS Dark" tournament, and got access to them that way?). Which is why it seems a bit redundant to think about these universe switches.

Plus, Mario can carry power-ups in a lot of games. He can store an inventory in the NSMB series and use as many power-ups as he needs before entering a level. Super Mario 3D World also lets him store power-ups, and if four players are present, he can store four and throw all four of them out in the middle of a level.

Whether or not Mario can use power-ups in levels or on the World Map is just gameplay-story segregation. The fact remains that, regardless of that, most Mario games allow him to store things in an inventory and then use them at some point, be it platformers, M&L series, Paper Mario, or even the Adventure Tours in Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games on the DS. The "point" at which he can use them is irrelevant to the capacity of his ability to do this, because it changes from game to game, merely to fit the design of that game, and keep said game balanced and challenging for the player.
More meaningless than redundant, actually.

Fair enough, though. The problem is with Mario is taking damage and losing his items. I don't know why this occurs. But if this is the case, then even Donkey Kong gets his items.

I'm just wondering which Mario we'd use. I still think Paper Mario version is the strongest, but I've only played a limited amount of Mario games, such as Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Paper Mario. There are a few others I've played, but didn't list because I didn't play through them in their entirety.

TopSecretZone

Smash Cadet
None of them are real so you could imagine or write any scenario in which one of them comes out on top or becomes more powerful than the others.

Either that or the kid throwing the trophies/figures around is the most powerful.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Sonic is the stongest... Have you seen how cheap he is in SA2? He could kill 20 robs in seconds! What can mario do? Spin? flood? 3 punch combo? Sonic can keep hitting you over and over and over till your dead.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
:4ness:(can stand his ground against an entity capable of destroying the universe)
I think the issue with this is that Ness didn't really defeat Giygas by his own means, but it was much rather Paulas prayers and the support of pretty much everyone the gang encountered during their travels (as well as the player him/herself).
You could say that the earth and its inhabitants themselves defeated Giygas.

He does have quite powerful psychic abilities and can also use his powers to heal wounds very efficiently. That should probably count for something.

Last edited:

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
People are grossly underrestimating Ike's power. Let's look at a few things:

1. Is blessed by a Goddess, improving his combat abilities all-around and allowing him to damage other divine beings.
2. Wields an indestructable legendary blade blessed by a Goddess, and uses said blade to defeat said Goddess (albeit with a bit of help).
3. Aether. It pierces any defense and Ike absorbs energy from the foe.
4. Statistically, his stats at the end of Radiant Dawn are very near the Goddess herself, meaning that Ike himself is nearly God-like.

Samus is definitely up there as well. It's tough, though, because her abilities are inconsistent from game to game.

1. Power bombs. They obliterate just about everything and have a massive blast range.
2. Her fully charged beam passes through both organic and inorganic materials without being obstructed, and freezes as it passes through.
3. The screw attack is both a powerful form of offense and protects Samus
4. The gravity suit has armor strong enough to resist all damage from magma, which is like 1000-2000 F.

Sonic is also very, very powerful.

1. His speed makes him virtually untouchable.
2. The force that must be generated by his legs to move at that speed means that his legs are massively strong, and that would translate to very powerful kicking attacks.
3. He's able to endure supersonic speeds with no special protection. The pressure and friction exerted on his body at those speeds is very high, meaning that he is very resilient.
4. His brain works incredibly fast. In order to navigate at supersonic speeds, it has to. His reflexes are absurd.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

1. Is blessed by a Goddess, improving his combat abilities all-around and allowing him to damage other divine beings.
2. Wields an indestructable legendary blade blessed by a Goddess, and uses said blade to defeat said Goddess (albeit with a bit of help).
4. Statistically, his stats at the end of Radiant Dawn are very near the Goddess herself, meaning that Ike himself is nearly God-like.
5. Fights for his friends.
6. Gives no sympathy in battle.

Ravio_Yo

Smash Apprentice
But then on the other hand, in death battle situations the enemy has already prepared their self.

Crystanium

Smash Hero

I believe the last thread like this had Ike up there with Samus and Ganondorf. I wouldn't necessarily go by stats, though, because stats in the Pokémon games, for example, show that Dragonite is slower than Pidgeot, despite Dragonite's Pokédex saying he's slightly faster than Pidgeot. Of course, this is Pokémon, not Fire Emblem, so the same might not apply.

Samus is definitely up there as well. It's tough, though, because her abilities are inconsistent from game to game.

1. Power bombs. They obliterate just about everything and have a massive blast range.
2. Her fully charged beam passes through both organic and inorganic materials without being obstructed, and freezes as it passes through.
3. The screw attack is both a powerful form of offense and protects Samus
4. The gravity suit has armor strong enough to resist all damage from magma, which is like 1000-2000 F.
Not quite. The inconsistencies may appear to be so, but if you're referring to things like Samus' Gravity Suit protecting her from magma in one game, but not another, this could be simply because each upgrade shares the same name, though having different protection. For example, in Metroid: Zero Mission, the Varia Suit protects Samus from acid and extreme heat, but in Super Metroid, it only protects her from extreme heat. However, in MZM, the damage reduction is different from the damage reduction in SM.

Sometimes, games will place game mechanics, though. In SM, Samus' wave beam can fire through walls, but in Metroid: Other M, it cannot. This is likely because the game is in a 2.5D world and since you cannot see on the opposite side of a wall, they likely removed it, even though they retained the ability to fire through translucent and transparent objects. The Gravity Suit also doesn't protect Samus from lava in MOM, though it does in SM. Samus would have the same equipment from SM to MOM, but the reason for limiting the Gravity Suit was probably to prevent the player to wander far out into the lava.

The X-Ray Scope also doesn't show up, probably for similar reasons to the Wave Beam. From a calculation I did today at FactPileTopia:

Pressure is different from force, since pressure is force over the surface area. Taking this image again, I will simply address pressure because I was using Brinell's hardness test, which I know was incorrect, since this is not the way to determine pressure. Taking normal force, which is mass times gravity, I will then be able to find the pressure. Gravity is usually 9.81 m/s^2, but this is equal to 9.81 N/kg. We know Samus is 90 kg., so 9.81 N/kg times 90 kg. is 882.9 N. The surface area of the spike that I calculated was 2.753623188405796 cm. 882.9 N / 2.753623188405796 cm^2 is 3.2063 MPa.

I know walking on a bed of nails won't cause any physical damage, since the pressure is evenly distributed over the surface area, this might explain why the nails that are in motion harm Samus, since the nails are no longer even, as the image in the link demonstrates. The image also shows more spikes in a different form that drop down on Samus and slowly rise up. These spikes also have the same surface area. Samus won't take damage from these unless they come down on her. So we could say a pressure of 3.2063 MPa won't harm Samus, especially since 882.9 N doesn't harm Samus, as dashing at Mach 2 would produce 61,740 N.
2. The force that must be generated by his legs to move at that speed means that his legs are massively strong, and that would translate to very powerful kicking attacks.
Actually, running at that speed would not be like normally running. That's typical in fiction. What I mean is that in reality, if someone could run at the speed of sound or faster, they would be leaping, not dashing like one does when he/she jogs or runs. This part of The Flash trailer shows Barry Allen running, but it will show slow motion and you'll see Barry actually leaping forward.

4. His brain works incredibly fast. In order to navigate at supersonic speeds, it has to. His reflexes are absurd.
Acceleration is speeding up, slowing down, and/or turning. So there would be a brief slow down as Sonic turned, but to react to something in front of him would indeed show his reflexes are improved.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
But in all seriousness, guys.
Mega Man is the strongest.
Why?

Metal Blades.
Hm, Mega Man vs. Samus Aran. I'm not sure which incarnation to choose.

Mega Man's armor is made of ceramic titanium. I can only guess that this is supposed to be something like titanium carbide. If we went with titanium carbide, then the hardness of Mega Man's armor would be 9 to 9.5 on the Mohs hardness scale, just below diamond. However, it's important to note that hardness of an object is not equivalent to strength or toughness. Glass is harder than steel, for example, but it's brittle, whereas steel is not. According to Wikipedia, titanium carbide is also used as a heat shield for atmospheric reentry.

Atmospheric reentry reaches temperatures up to 1,648.89°C. The melting point for titanium carbide is 3,160°C. So if we assume ceramic titanium is like titanium carbide, then we know Mega Man's hardness and heat resistance. He would also have an elastic modulus of 400 GPa and a shear modulus of 188 GPa. This is rather impressive. Higher elastic modulus also means Mega Man's armor is stiffer, i.e., resistant to bending. All of this, of course, is if ceramic titanium is supposed to be like titanium carbide.

What about Samus' armor? Unfortunately, I don't know what her armor is made of, and while this is great so the developers can make Samus' armor as strong as they want, it's not easy determining various quantities. I have an idea of the pressure Samus is resistant to, as well as the force. From this video, Samus leaps down the shaft, which I calculated to be 59.34 meters at FactPileTopia. On impact, I ended up with 104,675.76 N (11.76 tons-force). This is higher than when Samus shinesparks.

In terms of pressure, I miscounted in my last calculation based on the pixels. I had originally calculated this as 3.2063 MPa, but correcting the error actually has Samus resistant to pressure of 1.9174 MPa, which is not even taking into consideration of Samus jumping onto it. If Samus leaps to the ceiling and lands on the spikes, this would produce 7,114.5313953488373556584 N, and with the surface area of the spikes taken into consideration, Samus can withstand up to 15.450749999999982 MPa.

(I'm going to clear something up here, by the way. People might think injury from spikes is ridiculous because they should be nothing to armored characters. However, due to the tiny surface area, spikes can be very injurious. You'll be injured by a knife traveling 1 mi/h versus a car traveling that same speed. It's because pressure is force over the surface area. A 45 kg. woman wearing a stilettos produces more pressure than an elephant.)

Mega Man, like Samus, takes damage from spikes. Considering Mega Man is assumed to have a similar type of alloy to that of titanium carbide. I would expect Mega Man could resist spikes, as titanium alone should be hard enough. Of course, against someone like Metal Man, this could probably be explained, as his circular, saw blades are made of the same material as Mega Man's armor. While two materials of the same hardness shouldn't be able to scratch each other (at least easily), since they're being thrown, this adds to more force.

In a battle against Metal Man, I took Mega Man and Metal Man's blade, which you can see here, taking Mega Man's height, which is 132 cm., we can use the pixels from Mega Man and the tip of the blade to find the surface area of the blade. Mega Man is 52 px. The blade seems to only have one sharp part in the image that's 1 px., so 1 px. / 52 px. is 0.0192307692307692. Taking 0.0192307692307692 and multiplying it by 132 cm. is 2.5384615384615344 cm. I don't know how much these blades weigh. Assuming the blades are 1.36078 kg. (3 lb.) with a speed of 40 m/s (90 mi/h; about the speed of a baseball being thrown), we end up with 54.4312 N.

Taking the force and dividing it by the surface area of the blade, we end up with 214.426 kPa, which, according to Wolfram | Alpha is ≈ (0.4 to 1.4) approximate impact pressure of a fist punch (150,000 to 550,000 Pa). This is not very impressive compared to Samus' resistance to pressure. Let's say five parts of the saw hit Mega Man, though. If I'm doing this next part correctly, then Mega Man is taking damage from 4.2235 MPa. I'd say these are under the pressure titanium alone can take. Of course, it is curious as to how thick Mega Man's armor is. If we take this image of Mega Man, this means he is 134 px. The thickest part of his body are his legs (7 px.; 6.999999999999996 cm.), and his face is the thinnest (1 px.; 0.9850746268656744 cm.). His abdomen is also 1 px.; 0.9850746268656744 cm. That would explain why he'll receive damage, then. Or, perhaps the exterior parts of his body aren't made of a similar material to titanium carbide, but his skeletal structure is. This would also explain why he receives damage.

Temperatures Samus can withstand isn't easy to determine with the Power Suit alone. Although it's her energy shield that takes the damage. If I said it's made of something like titanium, it would probably be incorrect, since titanium can withstand extreme temperatures. Sure, it's her energy shield that's being affected, but that's irrelevant, since she should be immune to extreme temperatures if her armor was made of titanium.

The thing is, we don't know the air temperature of Norfair or Magmoor Caverns. Sadly, I cannot figure out the air temperature of these locations because I'm not certain how to do that. The flame of a candle is usually around 1,000°C. Flames can harm, Samus, but these aren't your typical candle flame, so perhaps taking the high-end would be best, which would put us at 1,400°C. The flames in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes after defeating Dark Samus in the first battle is orange-yellow. Using color temperature, I think the safest bet would be 2,000 K (1,726.85°C). This temperature harms Samus, even with the Varia Suit on.

Mega Man fights Fire Man, who produces extreme heat. Fire Man can reach temperatures of up to 7,000 to 8,000°C. This is absurd, since there isn't any known material (at least to my knowledge) that can withstand these extreme temperatures. In reality, Mega Man would win simply because Fire Man would have melted. We know titanium carbide cannot resist this temperature as well. This is making me think it would be best to no longer compare ceramic titanium to titanium carbide. The problem is the word "titanium", though. By itself, titanium would melt. So this would need to be a special metal. Not that I'm saying Mega Man would really be able to survive those temperatures after getting hit by them.

Well, this is all I'm going to bother with for now. It was fun, but it'll take forever.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I don't know why some here put Diddy so low. He is at least A tier in canon and can definitely hold his own against a lot of the characters in Smash. HE KNOCKED DOWN THE MOON WITH HIS HEAD!!

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
I'd say Ike or Shulk since *SPOILER ALERT*

they took down a God in their respective games.

Weavile's Wrath

Smash Apprentice
*Possible Spoilers*

:4kirby: has defeated some pretty powerful foes; he has defeated many foes with many different attack patterns and tactics. These include Zero/Zero-Two, Marx(Soul), Magolor(Soul), Dark Matter, Drawcia(Sorceress and Soul), Yin-Yarn(including Mega Yin-Yarn), and other powerful dark beings.
Zero-Two is a fallen angel(think Satan/Lucifer in Christianity), which is implied to have complete control over an entire race of dark beings(Dark Matter), where each of these beings can take over the most powerful and strong-willed(like Dedede multiple times).
Kirby defeated Marx, who almost got away with destroying the sun and the moon.
Kirby defeats Magolor, who has the power of the Master Crown (seemingly controlling Magolor).
Dark Matter, as stated above, can take over any potential host, and there is a whole race of them. This race can take over a whole planet in the Crystal Shards, and an individual is strong enough to serve as a final boss.
Drawcia turned all of Dream Land into a painting.
Yin-Yarn turned everything in Dream Land into string.

Many of these bosses are suggested to have the power of the Fallen Angel Zero-Two, based on design and attacks, including Magolor Soul, all three forms of Dark Mind, Dark Nebula, Miracle Matter, Dark Meta Knight, Shadow Dedede, and Shadow Kirby.

All this and I haven't even mentioned Nightmare or Sectonia.

Last edited:
Top Bottom