• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's Canonically the Strongest Character in Smash?

nessokman

Smash Lord
I would say the strongest would be pit or Rosalina. In raw power palutena would be up there.

Gannon can be beaten by the master sword, it can be assumed that arrows of light fired by a bow crafted by a goddess could kill him.(not link's arrows which are coated in light, Pit's arrows are made of light)

Link's master sword wouldn't have any special advantages over the goddess of light, so it would basically be a normal man fighting a goddess. She could easily trounce link.

Pit has defeated many GODS
through his journey, including-

Thanatos; god of death
Medusa; goddess of darkness
Pandora; goddess of disaster and calamity
Pyhrron; Sun God (he had a major powerup when you fight him)
Palutena (under mind control)
Hades; God of the underworld

As well as other powerful being such as phosphora. (I think she's a demigod, but don't quote me on it)

Pit had a large array of weapons at his disposal. Viridi, the goddess of nature, called him a "walking munitions depot".

He took on the entire underworld army in the original game, and only received help in the form of training from Zeus.

I'm uprising, he took on 4 different armies, (underworld; forces of nature; aarum; centurion army). He only had to fight centurions when palutena was wing mind controlled.

I don't think ganon's magic could have scratched Hades, hell,the three sacred treasures didn't work.

I would say canonically he is the strongest character in smash.

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Gannon can be beaten by the master sword, it can be assumed that arrows of light fired by a bow crafted by a goddess could kill him.(not link's arrows which are coated in light, Pit's arrows are made of light)

Link's master sword wouldn't have any special advantages over the goddess of light, so it would basically be a normal man fighting a goddess. She could easily trounce link.
I'm pretty sure the Master Sword functions less as the "evil slaying sword" everyone always calls it and more as a magic or maybe even anti-magic sword. Going by the Link to the Past manual, it functions by canceling the effects of the Triforce. It could very well be an effective god-slaying weapon. Similarly, the Light Arrows likely function well against anyone in general, as evidenced by Wind Waker's final battle if you let one hit you. So I wouldn't count Link out for those reasons.

Really though, I don't see there being a single strongest character. More likely, there's sort of a rock-paper-scissors thing going on where each character has good and bad matchups. Now if we decide to just measure raw power instead of who will win in a fight, there'd probably be a wnner, but it would be really hard to determine because of game mechanic nonsense.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure the Master Sword functions less as the "evil slaying sword" everyone always calls it and more as a magic or maybe even anti-magic sword. Going by the Link to the Past manual, it functions by canceling the effects of the Triforce. It could very well be an effective god-slaying weapon. Similarly, the Light Arrows likely function well against anyone in general, as evidenced by Wind Waker's final battle if you let one hit you. So I wouldn't count Link out for those reasons.

Really though, I don't see there being a single strongest character. More likely, there's sort of a rock-paper-scissors thing going on where each character has good and bad matchups. Now if we decide to just measure raw power instead of who will win in a fight, there'd probably be a wnner, but it would be really hard to determine because of game mechanic nonsense.
I always considered the master sword being imbued with the power of light to fight evil. Light is often connected with good. It stops darkness and evil and all.....If it is light, it wouldn't compare to Palutena's power.

Link's light arrows are simply a normal arrow that is covered in light by magic, Pit's fire pure light, which would have to be more effective.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Do you have any videos?
All of the cut scenes from Punch-Out Wii. Like I said, Mac's not a world beater, but he would rank higher then any real world human due to the cartoony nature of the people he fights.

Some fun highlights:
1:40 & 5:20 Bear Hugger trains with real bears in a pretty unorthodox way.... kind of a humorous riff on the Zangief thing
2:00 Don Falmenco, not one of the physically stronger fighters, bull fighting with his fists
5:10 Piston Hondo training, including racing a Bullet Train
7:08 Mr. Sandman demolishes a building while training for his rematch

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I always considered the master sword being imbued with the power of light to fight evil. Light is often connected with good. It stops darkness and evil and all.....If it is light, it wouldn't compare to Palutena's power.

Link's light arrows are simply a normal arrow that is covered in light by magic, Pit's fire pure light, which would have to be more effective.
That's what everyone always thinks, but that comes from the fact that an evil person isn't supposed to be able wield the sword. Functionally, it was created to counter the divine power of the Triforce, so I don't see any reason it can't be effective against a wider variety of opponents.

Pit's arrows being pure light doesn't necessarily make them more powerful than Link's (or Zelda's). It's entirely possible that the Light Arrows carry a stronger charge, but at a much greater cost. And because the magic is bound to a regular arrow, it does high physical damage as well. But I don't know much about Kid Icarus, so tell me: Do Pit's arrows one-shot almost anything? Because that's what Light Arrows do, making Zelda's Final Smash fairly accurate.

nessokman

Smash Lord
That's what everyone always thinks, but that comes from the fact that an evil person isn't supposed to be able wield the sword. Functionally, it was created to counter the divine power of the Triforce, so I don't see any reason it can't be effective against a wider variety of opponents.

Pit's arrows being pure light doesn't necessarily make them more powerful than Link's (or Zelda's). It's entirely possible that the Light Arrows carry a stronger charge, but at a much greater cost. And because the magic is bound to a regular arrow, it does high physical damage as well. But I don't know much about Kid Icarus, so tell me: Do Pit's arrows one-shot almost anything? Because that's what Light Arrows do, making Zelda's Final Smash fairly accurate.
Pure light would of course pack a bigger punch. The Kid Icarus series; as of "Uprising", has a couple of light shooting weapons. The one I am mainly mentioning is the "Palutena Bow", crafted by the goddess herself, it is the one used in Brawl and Smash 4.

It is a decent bow. Most enemies in Uprising take 2-5 shots on a Palutena Bow with no modifiers, with the exception of enemies such as Reapers, Eggplant Wizards, and Tempura Wizards. (and any bosses) Pit's bow does have charged shots, if you don't shoot for a second, it charges and the next shot is more powerful. These charged shots will almost kill most normal enemies in 2 hits.

Pit's arrows don't take any magic to use.Link has less than ten shots and he's out of magic. Pit doesn't have this problem, AND he doesn't have any of the reload time.(Having to reach back to get an arrow from the quiver). Also all of pit's attacks typically fire in groups of 2-3, firing 3 shots back to back to back rapid fire is also an advantage.

The Three Sacred Treasures (below), Pit's new final smash, fire much stronger light blasts. They are strong enough to kill an Orne, an enemy that is otherwise completely invincible.(And a one hit kill :I)

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Pure light would of course pack a bigger punch. The Kid Icarus series; as of "Uprising", has a couple of light shooting weapons. The one I am mainly mentioning is the "Palutena Bow", crafted by the goddess herself, it is the one used in Brawl and Smash 4.

It is a decent bow. Most enemies in Uprising take 2-5 shots on a Palutena Bow with no modifiers, with the exception of enemies such as Reapers, Eggplant Wizards, and Tempura Wizards. (and any bosses) Pit's bow does have charged shots, if you don't shoot for a second, it charges and the next shot is more powerful. These charged shots will almost kill most normal enemies in 2 hits.

Pit's arrows don't take any magic to use.Link has less than ten shots and he's out of magic. Pit doesn't have this problem, AND he doesn't have any of the reload time.(Having to reach back to get an arrow from the quiver). Also all of pit's attacks typically fire in groups of 2-3, firing 3 shots back to back to back rapid fire is also an advantage.

The Three Sacred Treasures (below), Pit's new final smash, fire much stronger light blasts. They are strong enough to kill an Orne, an enemy that is otherwise completely invincible.(And a one hit kill :I)
There's no logic behind pure light being more powerful. A glass filled half with sugar and half with water still has more sugar than a glass of the same size filled only a quarter of the way with sugar.

The rest of your points don't have anything to do with what I'm saying, but you're right that Link wouldn't be able to spam Light Arrows, that's their biggest disadvantage. But he normally wouldn't have to.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I would say the strongest would be pit or Rosalina. In raw power palutena would be up there.

through his journey, including-

Thanatos; god of death
Medusa; goddess of darkness
Pandora; goddess of disaster and calamity
Pyhrron; Sun God (he had a major powerup when you fight him)
Palutena (under mind control)
Hades; God of the underworld

As well as other powerful being such as phosphora. (I think she's a demigod, but don't quote me on it)

Pit had a large array of weapons at his disposal. Viridi, the goddess of nature, called him a "walking munitions depot".

He took on the entire underworld army in the original game, and only received help in the form of training from Zeus.

I'm uprising, he took on 4 different armies, (underworld; forces of nature; aarum; centurion army). He only had to fight centurions when palutena was wing mind controlled.

I don't think ganon's magic could have scratched Hades, hell,the three sacred treasures didn't work.

I would say canonically he is the strongest character in smash.
Hades is, very obviously in my opinion, several magnitudes of power above Ganon. He's not in the game though, and Pit didn't actually beat him using just his innate strength. He had the help of three goddesses (Palutena, Viridi, AND Medusa) as well as using the Great Sacred Treasure, a crazy mech made by Dyntos, the weaponsmith of the gods.

Gods in the Kid Icarus universe are not all created equal. Hades is one of the big time gods, and Palutena was actually "honored" that he knew who she was. If I had to guess about Palutena's position in the pecking order, I would say that she would most likely be below Zues in the same way that Medusa (the goddess of darkness to Palutena's goddess of light) is below Hades. There is nothing to really indicate this in Uprising, but it makes sense... and Zeus does in fact help out Pit in the first Kid Icarus game. This is not to say that Palutena isn't powerful. In fact, as the Goddess of light I would say she would almost definitely be able to take down Ganon since her attacks are all light based.

Palutena, on her own, defeated and banished Medusa to the Under World. She turned Pit into a ring. She put up a good fight against pit while being weakened from the Chaos Kin having fed on her.

Here is the fight with Hades if someone is interested, from Chuggaaconroy's let's play video. I would rather have gotten straight game play but his videos have the best quality. Will probably post the Medusa and Palutena fights at some point, as they are much better indications of both Pit and Palutenas' power levels.

Last edited:

AzureKaze

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2707-1669-7946
If I may interject, Sonic has also beaten many gods. Perfect Chaos, Solaris, Alf-Lay-La-Wa-Lay-La, Dark Gaia, the Time Eater, etc. 3 of these gods are universal(+) in their destructive capabilities, one being pretty much nigh Omnipotent. Also, are we allowed to bring secondary source material into this? If so Sonic wins no ifs, ands, or buts. Archie Sonic has gone toe to toe with the god Enerjak, whom has the ability to destroy millions of multiverses with a mere fraction of his power.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
See this is why we need to specify whether we're doing a pure power measurement or deciding who will win in combat. We'll get nowhere otherwise.
Agreed, it's the old comic book power levels argument.....styles and weakness' make fights. For instance, Hulk can over power Thor most of the time, but Superman's greater base strength and speed would have him beat Hulk most of the time. Mean while, Thor would beat Superman due to the magic nature of his hammer.

The most powerful person doesn't always win the fight. (Please don't argue with this example... It's just an example!)

Last edited:

AzureKaze

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2707-1669-7946
See this is why we need to specify whether we're doing a pure power measurement or deciding who will win in combat. We'll get nowhere otherwise.
Well, Super Sonic has moved and nigh Omnipresent speeds and is pretty much invincible to any attacks... ever... I'm fairly certain Super Sonic could just blitz any of the characters in the Smash roster. Their combat skills don't matter if they can't even detect Sonic's movements, let alone react to them.

nessokman

Smash Lord
There's no logic behind pure light being more powerful. A glass filled half with sugar and half with water still has more sugar than a glass of the same size filled only a quarter of the way with sugar.

The rest of your points don't have anything to do with what I'm saying, but you're right that Link wouldn't be able to spam Light Arrows, that's their biggest disadvantage. But he normally wouldn't have to.
Link's normal arrows are meh in power, (same strength if not a little stronger than his sword), the light is what gives them that kick, and so imagine if, rather than just coating the arrow in light, it was MADE of it. Not to mention it probably flies as fast as Link's shots.

Pit also has far more mobility. His ability to fly would allow him to dodge easily.

My other points do make sense, as you were discussing damages.

Hades is, very obviously in my opinion, several magnitudes of power above Ganon. He's not in the game though, and Pit didn't actually beat him using just his innate strength. He had the help of three goddesses (Palutena, Viridi, AND Medusa) as well as using the Great Sacred Treasure, a crazy mech made by Dyntos, the weaponsmith of the gods.

Gods in the Kid Icarus universe are not all created equal. Hades is one of the big time gods, and Palutena was actually "honored" that he knew who she was. If I had to guess about Palutena's position in the pecking order, I would say that she would most likely be below Zues in the same way that Medusa (the goddess of darkness to Palutena's goddess of light) is below Hades. There is nothing to really indicate this in Uprising, but it makes sense... and Zeus does in fact help out Pit in the first Kid Icarus game. This is not to say that Palutena isn't powerful. In fact, as the Goddess of light I would say she would almost definitely be able to take down Ganon since her attacks are all light based.

Palutena, on her own, defeated and banished Medusa to the Under World. She turned Pit into a ring. She put up a good fight against pit while being weakened from the Chaos Kin having fed on her.

Here is the fight with Hades if someone is interested, from Chuggaaconroy's let's play video. I would rather have gotten straight game play but his videos have the best quality. Will probably post the Medusa and Palutena fights at some point, as they are much better indications of both Pit and Palutenas' power levels.

Actually, you have the option after beating the chapters to go back and do them without the Great/Three sacred treasures. All other weapons are a lot weaker, so hades can take so many hits, but you can.

The gods did nothing during to really help Pit's struggle. Palutena waited until the last possible minute to decide it would be a good Idea to blast the GOD OF THE UNDERWORLD with her light....Medusa saved pit, and viridi was just there to comment during the fight.....

Well, Super Sonic has moved and nigh Omnipresent speeds and is pretty much invincible to any attacks... ever... I'm fairly certain Super Sonic could just blitz any of the characters in the Smash roster. Their combat skills don't matter if they can't even detect Sonic's movements, let alone react to them.
I doubt super sonic would be used, final smashes are used mostly in smash alone, and I believe the question is if they were put on the field with their normal gear and whatnot and fought it out, who would win. Sonic doesn't just go super sonic whenever the **** he wants, he has to meet a requirement *to my knowledge*.

It would be who would win in combat, I'm sure. In regards of pure power, Palutena would win hands down.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Beating Hades without the Treasure is NON CANON. The way you beat him according to the game is with the Great Sacred Treasure. Also, you only beat him because 1.) Medusa distracts him by literally ripping his head off 2.) Viridi gives you the power of flight...without it you would have been crushed 3.) Palutena channeling her godly powers into the GST.... that's what ACTUALLY kills Hades.

Pit is a beast power level wise....but the Hades kill is really a team effort.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Beating Hades without the Treasure is NON CANON. The way you beat him according to the game is with the Great Sacred Treasure. Also, you only beat him because 1.) Medusa distracts him by literally ripping his head off 2.) Viridi gives you the power of flight...without it you would have been crushed 3.) Palutena channeling her godly powers into the GST.... that's what ACTUALLY kills Hades.

Pit is a beast power level wise....but the Hades kill is really a team effort.
Discussing this game is great, I miss talking with people about it ^.^

It isn't non canon, all of the weapons in the KI universe were made by dyntos, and they all have the power to damage Hades. The GST is just a more powerful and efficient method of fighting. Pit could have theoretically beaten Hades without the GST, it would have taken much longer than 5 minutes to deal enough damage to kill him.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Discussing this game is great, I miss talking with people about it ^.^

It isn't non canon, all of the weapons in the KI universe were made by dyntos, and they all have the power to damage Hades. The GST is just a more powerful and efficient method of fighting. Pit could have theoretically beaten Hades without the GST, it would have taken much longer than 5 minutes to deal enough damage to kill him.
That's the main reason I spend time in the Shulk support thread, lol (discussing the game.) The video is there for anyone that want's to examine it, I still say that Pit couldn't have done that solo.

The Medusa fight, the Palutena fight, and the Pseudo Palutena fight are much better indicators of both Pit and Palutena's power levels.

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Link's normal arrows are meh in power, (same strength if not a little stronger than his sword), the light is what gives them that kick, and so imagine if, rather than just coating the arrow in light, it was MADE of it. Not to mention it probably flies as fast as Link's shots.
You're vastley underestimating the ability of an arrow to punch through both flesh and armor. And it's not "coated" in light, it's imbued with it. That would mean that the user would have some degree of control over the power of the shots if it wasn't a game. This could apply to Pit too, depending on how that bow works.

Pit also has far more mobility. His ability to fly would allow him to dodge easily.
I wasn't discussing who would win in a fight, so this is irrelevant. We saw that in Palutena's reveal anyway.

My other points do make sense, as you were discussing damages.
Your other points were primarily about Pit's efficiancy advantage, which has nothing to do with individual damage.

I doubt super sonic would be used, final smashes are used mostly in smash alone, and I believe the question is if they were put on the field with their normal gear and whatnot and fought it out, who would win. Sonic doesn't just go super sonic whenever the **** he wants, he has to meet a requirement *to my knowledge*.
You did bring up Pit's Final Smash as well, so I'm hoping you mean to say that Pit can use those superpowered shots you mentioned whenever he wants. Otherwise they're just as invalid as Super Sonic and he only has the weaker normal shots available.

It would be who would win in combat, I'm sure. In regards of pure power, Palutena would win hands down.
In terms of pure power, Palutena's definitely a top candidate. But if we're going to uh...pit them against each other, you have to take skill into account. That would bring Ganondorf and Mewtwo back in as the overall most capable two. You can't expect them to just stand float there and take hits. Most of what's effective against them would never actually touch them. Even so, when talking about who wins in a fight, there would likely be no single winner. It would be like in Spazzy_D's superhero comparison.

nessokman

Smash Lord
You're vastley underestimating the ability of an arrow to punch through both flesh and armor. And it's not "coated" in light, it's imbued with it. That would mean that the user would have some degree of control over the power of the shots if it wasn't a game. This could apply to Pit too, depending on how that bow works.
An arrow can only do so much, the regular arrow is god aweful in comparison.

Your other points were primarily about Pit's efficiancy advantage, which has nothing to do with individual damage.
Rapid fire of shots could rack up more damage quickly.

You did bring up Pit's Final Smash as well, so I'm hoping you mean to say that Pit can use those superpowered shots you mentioned whenever he wants. Otherwise they're just as invalid as Super Sonic and he only has the weaker normal shots available.
I said that as more of a point of there being more than one light shooting weapon in the game. Pit can no longer use them, because they were ruined during his first fight with Hades....

In terms of pure power, Palutena's definitely a top candidate. But if we're going to uh...pit them against each other, you have to take skill into account. That would bring Ganondorf and Mewtwo back in as the overall most capable two. You can't expect them to just stand float there and take hits. Most of what's effective against them would never actually touch them. Even so, when talking about who wins in a fight, there would likely be no single winner. It would be like in Spazzy_D's superhero comparison.
I would imagine palutena would have the skill. Remember she IS Immortal, she's been around for thousands/millions of years. I'd say she can hold her own. It's pretty hard to dodge light, considering moves at...eh....299,792,458 m / s. She can also use all the skills that Pit uses in uprising, as well as any of the weapons he uses.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Time for a huge post.

I still feel that Rosalina and Palutena are among the strongest characters, simply because of their goddess-like powers.
Rosalina hasn't done anything to even be high on the tier list.

Ganondorf's immortality requires his Triforce piece to be shining, but once its light is extinguished, such as with the Master Sword, he's pretty much dead.
I've explained why those who defend Ganondorf's invulnerability to anything except the power to repel evil must provide evidence. Ganondorf may be a powerful character, but it's not because nothing cannot kill him except the power to repel evil.

On the other hand, Hades is able to kill Medusa, so it probably takes a god/goddess to kill a god/goddess.
Most likely.

If Palutena is so strong, why did she get possesed by Hades? And why does she make Pit do the fighting? Same with Rosalina and Mario on the last one.
She wasn't possessed by Hades, but if we assumed she was, she's dealing with another being on her level. Inferentially, Palutena is stronger than Pit, but she doesn't have any feats to demonstrate this. All we could really do is place her above Pit on the tier list. As for why she sends Pit, it's because Pit is the captain of her army. The question could be asked why Ganondorf sends his minions to do the job.

I would mentoin DK to, but he's likely in trouble because they both are able to fly (not that DK hasn't handled flying enemies before).
In the recent Donkey Kong Country games, DK does demonstrate some serious physical strength and durability. I'm not sure why there is an inconsistency between what's observed in cut-scenes and what's observed in-game. I can only assume the possibility is the game wouldn't be enjoyable or it'd be too easy. I could very well be wrong about both and there might be another reason.

But the Golden Gauntlets do not even make Link's sword attacks stronger in OoT. So unless Link is going to hurl those castle blocks at characters, it won't change how strong he is. :rolleyes:
Well, as far as we observe in-game, but that might simply be a game mechanic, since with such strength, Link would easily be able to cut through boulders with enough force. Or our physics don't apply, which is a possibility, since this occurs in a universe not like our own. I did calculate that the obelisk Link lifts in OoT is 188 tons, which is a reasonable weight in terms of real-world obelisks.

Lifting something isn't the same as pushing something and vice versa. Prior to any gauntlets, Link was able to push those heavy blocks, which I calculated to be 73 tons, assuming it's marble, and 76 tons if it's granite. (I'd say the former.) Of course, this assumes we're using Link from OoT, which does not seem to be the case with Link in the current Super Smash Bros. game.

Do they have time to prepare or not?
That does not appear to be the case, as the original poster made no mention. It just seems to be a versus match.

PT's strength really depends on this, because of the question "What if PT doesn't have his god-legendaries with him at the time?". Also for other characters: "What if Sonic doesn't have the Chaos Emeralds or enough rings to go Super?" "What if Ness doesn't have time to go get some kind of holy weapon?" I could go on but you get the point.
Maybe it's just that I spend time at FactPile, but the standard is that characters are from the most recent media. In this case, the most recent games would be used. This standard is only dismissed if the original poster states otherwise.

Are they fighting to the death? Are they fighting over territory? Are they fighting over a magical artifact (Like the Triforce, a CTF Flag, or something similar?)
This is a question of who is canonically the strongest character in Super Smash Bros. In other words, they're just death matches, or whatever other means that can be used and will be consistent each time. That would mean even battlefield removal is acceptable.

This really matters because if it's a fight to the death, the tier list would go: The Invincibles (Ganondorf, Possibly Kirby, etc.), then the Sometimes-Invincibles (Super Sonic, I forget who else) and then everybody else. If it's over territory, then being invincible doesn't matter if you can just get repeatedly knocked into space. If it's over some magical artifact, then the fastest characters are actually top tier (Sonic and Samus, for example) along with people who have mind-control powers (Mewtwo: >>Drop the flag and walk away<<).
I think it's more nuanced than that.

Thing is, fighting to the death (or even just to KO) isn't necessarily all that important in most contexts. Fighting over territory or magical items is going to be more important in the long run.
But that's not what the original poster said.

In the end, the question is too vague to really be meaningful, and since these are fictional characters it's hard to really measure their power.
Not if they can be quantified, which I've been doing.

For example, the ability to create a world would, to some people, qualify one as a god, so that actually would make Ness god-like and therefore he might be able to create a holy weapon.
When did Ness create a world?

Thing is: What about psychologically? Would he even think to do that? Would he get the idea to make one before Ganondorf pummeled his face in? I don't think he would, and if we're going to talk about combat strength then we also need to consider competence.
Again, these battles are going to be more nuanced than you're making them.

But again, that's only under one ruleset. Under a completely different ruleset, Ganondorf beats them both, or maybe Ness beats Mewtwo and Ganondorf, or maybe Mewtwo is top dog. Thing is, none of those rulesets are more valid than any other and people are going to naturally choose which ruleset favors their favorite characters.
This is why things like physical strength, speed, durability, endurance, firepower, &c. are all put into consideration. It should be apparent that things are going to be more nuanced, but what you're doing here should be obvious. In one instance, I could say, "Well, if Samus only had her standard equipment, then Master Chief might have a better chance if he receives other equipment."

To avoid favoritism, other people are going to be giving their input and calling out people who are pulling things out of their behind. If a rule set is made by the original poster, then the original poster would be better off not participating in these matches. That way, no one else who is involved in the debate is making up their own rule set.

Now, about Pokemon Trainer: I kinda feel like giving him every single pokemon is cheating somehow. Lately a lot of the legendaries come to the trainer via plot, so there's no real question about whether or not he'd get them. However, canonically, he usually only gets ONE legendary (aside from Mewtwo, Mew, and others like them) so it's more likely that he'd have control over Time OR Space, but not both. Also, that's only if you assume that PT is the player character and not just some random trainer who only has the three starters (the player character only has one starter unless he goes well out of his way to get all three, so there's a good case against PT being the player character).
Unless these legendary Pokemon demonstrate what is said of them, then the Pokedex needn't be considered. Doubting in-game lore shouldn't be a surprise, either. You could say the same of the lore in The Elder Scrolls. Either way, it doesn't matter. The original source for Pokemon are the games, so any external source is secondary.

Either way I think a real contest would have to be a measure of "How many favorable matchups does each character have?" instead of "Who is the best at beating <insert character here>".
Those aren't mutually exclusive.

EDIT: Also it's worth noting that while the Triforce does grant wishes, it does not grant them immediately, and the wishes are not guaranteed. Ganondorf wished to rule Hyrule in LttP. What he ended up getting was control over the Golden Realm (in later games known as the Sacred Realm) and an army big enough to potentially control Hyrule... except that he was stopped by a kid with a magic sword. I don't know about the Star Rod but I think it's a bit more instant than that, though it may have other limitations.
It doesn't matter either way. People should not ignore a character's personality. That the Triforce is only ever used once by Ganondorf in different periods of time makes one question whether or not more than one wish can be made, or if the character in question is satisfied with the wish. Never do we see Ganondorf or Link, for example, wishing each other out of existence, so we don't have to worry about anyone trying that nonsense in these matches if either one ended up with the full Triforce.

The same can be said with the Star Rod. Bowser is so stupid that he doesn't use it for anything else, but this also depends on which Bowser we are using. If it's not the one from Paper Mario, then he doesn't have the Star Rod and the discussion on that doesn't matter.

Pit is powerful. We can't say anything about Rosalina because she didn't do anything special. Palutena doesn't demonstrate any worthy feats, but inferentially, she's above Pit on the tier list.

On page 34, I addressed this, so it's up to anyone who wants to defend Ganondorf being invulnerable to all but the power to repel evil needs to prove it.

Being a god means nothing. Demonstrating feats proves something.

By the way, if Pit gets the Great Sacred Treasure, that pushes him way up on the tier list. Otherwise, I'd just say he should have the original Sacred Treasures so he can have indefinite flight.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Time for a huge post.
Pit is powerful. We can't say anything about Rosalina because she didn't do anything special. Palutena doesn't demonstrate any worthy feats, but inferentially, she's above Pit on the tier list
Yeah she did nothing, defeating Medusa and banishing her to the underworld after turning her into a monster. It wasn't her power that completely destroyed Hades, the enemy nobody could defeat. Nope, she never demonstrated any worthy feats.

Being a god means nothing. Demonstrating feats proves something.

By the way, if Pit gets the Great Sacred Treasure, that pushes him way up on the tier list. Otherwise, I'd just say he should have the original Sacred Treasures so he can have indefinite flight.
The sacred treasures were ruined in Uprising, all of them. He would probably only be able to use his normal weapons from uprising. He could use the power of flight for 5 minutes XD

Pyhhron showed his power...He single handedly blasted the aarum mothership through space, and wiped out entire ships of them.

When did Ness create a world?
Being an Earthbound fan, Ness never did such a thing. He is most definitely referring to Magicant. Magicant is inside Ness' head, which is why there are his family members and whatnot there, and you have to fight his nightmares.

Ness would probably be petty high up. His PSI Rockin' power is extremely powerful, and he has insane healing abilities. He also has sheilds to protect him from physical damage, as well as any PSI power.(Magic). His Franklin Badge reflects any lightning. He is all but invincible.

Last edited:

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Nowhere in the game is it implied that outside of being able to lift heavy ****, the Golden Gauntles has any effect on how powerful Link's attacks are. So no, I'm not buying it.
By that logic, Link should never have been able to throw those heavy obelisks since all he could do was lift them.
The game doesn't need to state every single detail, if its lettting you throw heavy obelisks 30 yards away, its safe to say that it enhanced his strength period.

To argue otherwise is just being obtuse for the sake of being in denial.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Medusa Fight at 13:10 in the following video. Her and Palutena are considered equals so it should help reflect her power level.

At 7:50 here you can see the Pseudo Palutena fight. Pseudo Palutena is supposed to be a faithful representation of Palutena's power, but we don't have an exact gauge. I would STILL say this is a better indicator of her power level over the mind control fight as she was weakened for that one (and we also weren't supposed to actually be focusing on her.)

nessokman

Smash Lord
Medusa Fight at 13:10 in the following video. Her and Palutena are considered equals so it should help reflect her power level.

At 7:50 here you can see the Pseudo Palutena fight. Pseudo Palutena is supposed to be a faithful representation of Palutena's power, but we don't have an exact gauge. I would STILL say this is a better indicator of her power level over the mind control fight as she was weakened for that one (and we also weren't supposed to actually be focusing on her.)

At the same time, how close to a god's power could a clone be?

Kamiko

Smash Ace
If everyone's arguing about how things like the Golden Gauntlets work, I'm going to point out that if they were "real", they would definitely increase strength in general, at least in the arms, but at the cost of magic.

An arrow can only do so much, the regular arrow is god aweful in comparison.
So if you were shot with an arrow, you'd just shrug it off?

Rapid fire of shots could rack up more damage quickly.
That's only if the individual hits are able to do damage. Pit's shots seem like they'd be easily stopped by a good magic resistant shield. Or a decent barrier.

I would imagine palutena would have the skill. Remember she IS Immortal, she's been around for thousands/millions of years. I'd say she can hold her own.
That's not how skill works.

You seem to be exclusively using game mechanics to gauge each character's abilities. That's not really a good idea.

At the same time, how close to a god's power could a clone be?
Implying a clone can't be a god too...

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Even if we can only pull from the games, I still think Mewtwo takes the gold. All this discussion on Palutena justs proves that she's a powerful god, but only to an extent. Mewtwo is on par powerwise with the embodiments of time, space, life, death, and antimatter. His battle abilities have been raised to the ultimate level according to in-game text, he cares for nothing but proving his strength, and his level up moveset (assuming we can't use TM's) contain defensive psychic barriers, regenerative capabilities, the ability to ward of status inflictions, HIDEOUSLY power psychic attacks that can hit defense and special defense, disabling moves, unavoidable projectiles, a hadoken, and the ability to see the future. Not to say anything about his psychic ability to tire his foe out at twice the normal speed. The only things Mewtwo can't really touch are ghosts, and there aren't any in Smash that he'd have to worry about. He is weak to dark, ghost, and fairy moves so Ganondorf is probably his biggest threat, but with moves like barrier and amnesia combined with recover and already decent defenses, he can hold out for a long time. Not to mention that Ganon has no known protection against psychic attacks.

Also, I argue he has access to shadow ball because of smash so there goes the ghost argument.

Edit: forgot Miracle Eye. Dark types aren't safe from him either.

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
So if you were shot with an arrow, you'd just shrug it off?
No, but I doubt it would shoot right through me and kill me in a single hit.(unless it were in the heart or another vital organ)

That's only if the individual hits are able to do damage. Pit's shots seem like they'd be easily stopped by a good magic resistant shield. Or a decent barrier.
Arrows of light obviously do damage, based on what you've said.

That's not how skill works.
Skill:the ability to do something well; expertise.

Palutena must have skill based on her countless years of using her powers and abilities.

You seem to be exclusively using game mechanics to gauge each character's abilities. That's not really a good idea.
You literally did that same thing talking about pit's shots.I still don't see how you think I did that.
[/quote]

Implying a clone can't be a god too...
The clones are forged by dyntos' power. He cloned tons of underworld goons that are low power, but to clone a goddess would take a tremendous amount of power, and I highly doubt the clone would be near as powerful as the god itself.

Mewtwo is on par powerwise with the embodiments of time, space, life, death, and antimatter. His battle abilities have been raised to the ultimate level according to in-game text, he cares for nothing but proving his strength, and his level up moveset (assuming we can't use TM's) contain defensive psychic barriers, regenerative capabilities, the ability to ward of status inflictions, HIDEOUSLY power psychic attacks that can hit defense and special defense, disabling moves, unavoidable projectiles, a hadoken, and the ability to see the future. Not to say anything about his psychic ability to tire his foe out at twice the normal speed. The only things Mewtwo can't really touch are ghosts, and there aren't any in Smash that he'd have to worry about. He is weak to dark, ghost, and fairy moves so Ganondorf is probably his biggest threat, but with moves like barrier and amnesia combined with recover and already decent defenses, he can hold out for a long time. Not to mention that Ganon has no known protection against psychic attacks.

Also, I argue he has access to shadow ball because of smash so there goes the ghost argument.
On par in this case meaning "close enough to use it in my argument." I seriously doubt in legit raw power that he has really compares to those legendaries.

I argue that the only reason he is close to them in game is because if the game creators made them any stronger, they would be horribly broken.I'm sorry, ridiculous psychic power is cool and all, but he isn't warping space/time or creating the universe.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Yeah she did nothing, defeating Medusa and banishing her to the underworld after turning her into a monster. It wasn't her power that completely destroyed Hades, the enemy nobody could defeat. Nope, she never demonstrated any worthy feats.
In Kid Icarus, I recall Palutena being out of the picture because of Medusa. In Uprising, the battle against Medusa, it took Palutena some time to bind Medusa's legs, otherwise, Palutena would have done this from the start. This isn't to downplay Palutena, however, since she's dealing with someone who is at least on par with power. After defeating Medusa, Palutena tells Pit he did it, not her. As for Hades, Palutena charges the cannon from the Great Sacred Treasure. I've already stated that Palutena will be above Pit in the tier list. She could be higher, but we don't know and can't assume that "goddess" proves anything.

The sacred treasures were ruined in Uprising, all of them. He would probably only be able to use his normal weapons from uprising. He could use the power of flight for 5 minutes XD
That's like saying Link placed back the Master Sword in OoT, therefore, he doesn't get to use it in battle.

Ness would probably be petty high up. His PSI Rockin' power is extremely powerful, and he has insane healing abilities. He also has sheilds to protect him from physical damage, as well as any PSI power.(Magic). His Franklin Badge reflects any lightning. He is all but invincible.
That one person who wrote something to show why Ness is higher on the tier list never replied when I critiqued Ness' PSI abilities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
If you got nothing to put on the plate, then don't reply pal that's all i'm saying. Sonic > pokemon trainer.
Hahaha you're funny. I do agree that Sonic is stronger than the Pokemon Trainer because he shouldn't be getting those OP pokemon, as he doesn't have access to them. The only two canon choices we have for Pokemon Trainer are the 3 starters from brawl or Red with the original 151. Mr. Game & Watch doesn't have an exact or similar character from his series to go back to, but Pokemon Trainer does, so I suggest we just limit him to the original 151, give or take Mew. Either way Sonic wins, as he will most likely outrun Mewtwos attacks, or if you want he can kill him before he gets a chance to send him out.

I was arguing about the amount of pokemon being sent out at once not how Pokemon Trainer can beat Sonic. I also don't car if this is unrelated, I'm just putting this out there for others. The rest of this isn't directed at you, but everyone.

Here are my reasonable/unreasonable rules. Anyone, feel free to disagree. *Rules not final until thread owner approves.
  • Pokemon without trainers are naturally weaker than pokemon with trainers.
  • A pokemon is born with one ability and cannot change it without an ability capsule.
  • A pokemon can use more than four moves. No game mechanics allowed.
  • A wild pokemon can only use moves that it learns naturally in the wild.
  • A pokemon with a trainer can learn TM, HM, and egg exclusive moves.
  • Lucario, Mewtwo, Pikachu, Pichu, Jigglypuff, Greninja, and Charizard are wild pokemon.
  • Pokemon Trainer should only be given the first 151 pokemon, as his canon is Red.
  • Charizard cannot mega evolve as he is a wild pokemon.
  • Red never gets a mega stone and cannot evolve his pokemon.
  • Pokemon Trainer is just the World of Trophies version of Red.
  • IV's and EV's are game mechanics and should not be used when deciding a winner.
  • The Pokemon Trainer can send out all six pokemon out at once because he is not limited to the rules or game mechanics.
  • Rosalina is just as human and immortal as Mario.

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
In Kid Icarus, I recall Palutena being out of the picture because of Medusa. In Uprising, the battle against Medusa, it took Palutena some time to bind Medusa's legs, otherwise, Palutena would have done this from the start. This isn't to downplay Palutena, however, since she's dealing with someone who is at least on par with power. After defeating Medusa, Palutena tells Pit he did it, not her. As for Hades, Palutena charges the cannon from the Great Sacred Treasure. I've already stated that Palutena will be above Pit in the tier list. She could be higher, but we don't know and can't assume that "goddess" proves anything.

That's like saying Link placed back the Master Sword in OoT, therefore, he doesn't get to use it in battle.

That one person who wrote something to show why Ness is higher on the tier list never replied when I critiqued Ness' PSI abilities.
Where did you critique his abilities?

Kamiko

Smash Ace
No, but I doubt it would shoot right through me and kill me in a single hit.(unless it were in the heart or another vital organ)
The possibility of bleeding out from a torso shot is pretty high, but anything that doesn't kill would be extremely crippling. In fact it would be LESS lethal if it passed all the way through, because that would allow the wound to close. That said, Light Arrows are much more likely to pass all the way through.

Arrows of light obviously do damage, based on what you've said.
Like I said, IF they hit the target, and the target's not super magically defensive. If Link was using the Mirror Shield, he'd basically be immune to them, and his standard Hylian Shield would be able to take a good beating before Pit's arrows broke through it. Mewtwo would deflect them easily. It takes higher single hit power to deal with those kinds of defenses. But that's not what the point of this whole thing was. I was just saying, Link's arsenal is much more than you give it credit for. I personally think he and Pit would be evenly matched, and it seems that Nintendo agrees.

Skill:the ability to do something well; expertise.

Palutena must have skill based on her countless years of using her powers and abilities.
Age/experience =/= skill. I've seen too many people that've spent years doing something and still aren't any good at it.

You literally did that same thing talking about pit's shots.I still don't see how you think I did that.
You're talking about things like Pit not expending energy to attack, which is entirely a game mechanic. That's obviously not how it would actually function. The Minish Cap let's you use Light Arrows at no cost, does that mean Link should be able to spam them? Of course not. What I did with Pit's Arrows of Light is use what you told me of the game to determine their intended role, and used that to estimate how they'd actually perform. It's the same treatment I gave the Light Arrows; In The Wind Waker, they one-shot anything that's not a boss. Of course that's not quite how they would really work, but they're clearly meant to be extremely powerful, and likely would instantly kill most human-sized opponents.

The clones are forged by dyntos' power. He cloned tons of underworld goons that are low power, but to clone a goddess would take a tremendous amount of power, and I highly doubt the clone would be near as powerful as the god itself.
That comment was less serious, playing off of the common controversies of cloning dealt with in science fiction. Yes, creating something as powerful as a god would be extremely difficult, but it WOULD be possible.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Where did you critique his abilities?
Here.

As for Pit and Link, they're not evenly matched. From page 34 . . .

----------

Durability
I did a few calculations for Pit as well, but nothing so far on his weaponry, only on durability and flight. So, let's do this. In chapter 25 of Kid Icarus: Uprising, Pit falls what I estimated to be 1,524 m. (5,000 ft.). The time took was averaged at approximately 20.280 seconds. Using kinematics . . .

s = vit 1/2 at^2
= 1/2 (9.8 m/s)(20.28 s)^2
= 1/2 (9.8 m/s)(411.28 s)
= 1/2 (4,030.53 m.)
= 2,015.26 m. (6,610 ft.)

So it wasn't too far off from my guesstimate. Using gravitational potential energy, I end up with the following.

U = mgh
U = (57 kg.)(9.8 N/kg.)(2,015.26 m.)
U = (558.6 N)(2,015.26 m.)
U = 1,125,724.236 N m

1,125,724.236 N m / 0.0127 m. = 88,639,703.62 N, or 9,927.65 tons-force. For velocity, that's 479.31 m/s, or 1,071.93 mi/h, which is Mach 1.4. Keep in mind drag was not considered here, so the numbers would likely be lower.

Flight speed
If it took Pit 31.360 seconds to get to the Lunar Sanctum after the laser was fired, and if it's assumed he's a mile away, Pit's average speed would be 114.8 mi/h. If half a mile, then 57 mi/h. Using this, we could say Pit's reaction time is 130 milliseconds. Further, still, in the video where Pit flies into Lady Palutena's force field (this is when LP is evil), I assumed the distance of the launch was 200 meters away. I clocked 27 milliseconds. Assuming the distance, time, and laws of physics are applicable, Pit flew at 740.74 meters per second (1,656.57 mi/h), or Mach 2.16.

I don't see 100 m. being reasonable here, but 150? Sure. So at 150 m., I end up with 555.56 m/s, or Mach 1.62. These calculations were taken from my other posts at another message board I hang around at. But for one more fun calculation, I had assumed elsewhere that Pit is 57 kg. So using kinetic energy, I'd end up with the following.

KE = 1/2 (57 kg.)(555.56 m/s)^2
= 1/2 (57 kg.)(308,646.9136 m^2/s^2)
= 1/2 (17,592,874.0752 kg m^2/s^2)
= 8,796,437.0376 J, or 2.1 kg. of TNT.

----------

I'm curious as to which Link we are using, since it seems the new Super Smash Bros. represents Link from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Here.

----------

Durability
I did a few calculations for Pit as well, but nothing so far on his weaponry, only on durability and flight. So, let's do this. In chapter 25 of Kid Icarus: Uprising, Pit falls what I estimated to be 1,524 m. (5,000 ft.). The time took was averaged at approximately 20.280 seconds. Using kinematics . . .

s = vit 1/2 at^2
= 1/2 (4,030.53 m.)

So it wasn't too far off from my guesstimate. Using gravitational potential energy, I end up with the following.

U = mgh
U = 1,125,724.236 N m

1,125,724.236 N m / 0.0127 m. = 88,639,703.62 N, or 9,927.65 tons-force. For velocity, that's 479.31 m/s, or 1,071.93 mi/h, which is Mach 1.4. Keep in mind drag was not considered here, so the numbers would likely be lower.

Flight speed
If it took Pit 31.360 seconds to get to the Lunar Sanctum after the laser was fired, and if it's assumed he's a mile away, Pit's average speed would be 114.8 mi/h. If half a mile, then 57 mi/h. Using this, we could say Pit's reaction time is 130 milliseconds. Further, still, in the video where Pit flies into Lady Palutena's force field (this is when LP is evil), I assumed the distance of the launch was 200 meters away. I clocked 27 milliseconds. Assuming the distance, time, and laws of physics are applicable, Pit flew at 740.74 meters per second (1,656.57 mi/h), or Mach 2.16.

I don't see 100 m. being reasonable here, but 150? Sure. So at 150 m., I end up with 555.56 m/s, or Mach 1.62. These calculations were taken from my other posts at another message board I hang around at. But for one more fun calculation, I had assumed elsewhere that Pit is 57 kg. So using kinetic energy, I'd end up with the following.

----------

I'm curious as to which Link we are using, since it seems the new Super Smash Bros. represents Link from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.
You're doing the thing where you pull your data straight from the game. You have to keep in mind that games do a lot things for the sake of entertainment, like how Wind Waker HD added the Swift Sail so sailing could stop being tedious.

And Link's design is still taken from Twilight Princess, it just has a new style to fit the new Smash.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You're doing the thing where you pull your data straight from the game. You have to keep in mind that games do a lot things for the sake of entertainment, like how Wind Waker HD added the Swift Sail so sailing could stop being tedious.

And Link's design is still taken from Twilight Princess, it just has a new style to fit the new Smash.
Durability and speed calcs were from cut-scenes. Not that I care if you dismiss game play, since that's not an argument. Feel free to read my post.

By your logic, though, Link has few feats, so good luck.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Durability and speed calcs were from cut-scenes. Not that I care if you dismiss game play, since that's not an argument. Feel free to read my post.

By your logic, though, Link has few feats, so good luck.
You have to take direct gameplay into account as well, and it's unlikely that they match up.

How does my logic discount anything Link is known to be capable of?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You have to take direct gameplay into account as well, and it's unlikely that they match up.
Define "direct gameplay [sic]" and then prove that cut-scenes and game play have to match up.

How does my logic discount anything Link is known to be capable of?
I'm simply saying any constraints you put on Pit or any character, you must place on Link as well.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Here.

----------

Durability

s = vit 1/2 at^2
= 1/2 (4,030.53 m.)

U = mgh
U = 1,125,724.236 N m

Flight speed

----------

You can use either Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time Link and only those because they are the ones that appeared in smash. If you're talking about the same thing the other guys are babbling about then only the WW, TP, and OoT Links can use the light arrows, along with TP Zelda, but not OoT Zelda from melee.

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Rosalina is the strongest. She is the God of universes.

Palutena is the second as she is the Goddess of Light and... Yeah.

Ganondorf would be third. He has unlimited revival so long as there is evil/hatred in the world. "Where there is good, there is evil"

This was NOT super well thought out and I didn't read the full thread. I will do so eventually and come back with a better choice (if these three aren't the ones)

Last edited:

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Rosalina is the strongest. She is the God of universes.

Palutena is the second as she is the Goddess of Light and... Yeah.

Ganondorf would be third. He has unlimited revival so long as there is evil/hatred in the world. "Where there is good, there is evil"

This was NOT super well thought out and I didn't read the full thread. I will do so eventually and come back with a better choice (if these three aren't the ones)
Rosalina is not immortal or a goddess. She didn't create an entire universe, she just sent all her Lumas into the black hole to neutralize it. She can't create or reset a universe unless she uses all of her Lumas and has a black hole, she wouldn't just kill her Lumas unless she had a very good reason. She would never kill her children for such a pathetic reason. She can only use one Luma because characters shouldn't be allowed to bring entire armies. Bowser has to fight by himself and can't bring his entire army, Olimar can only use six pikmin, and Pokemon Trainer can only bring six pokemon. She can't destroy universes, only create.

We already established that armies would not be allowed. Also, characters should be limited to the partners they brought in the smash series. Either way Rosalina needs her entire army and a black hole to reset the universe, it would be pretty unfair to give her more than what she gets in smash and she can't do all that with one Luma. Do you want Olimar to bring out 999 of each pikmin type? That would be 6993 pikmin if we limit ourselves to game mechanics. Bring in more onions to hold them and there would be more. Bowser's army sent out all at once would be even worse for the majority of the fighters.

Mario makes one character. Rosalina and one Luma make one character. Olimar and six pikmin make one character. Popo and Nana make one character.

You cannot add to a character unless it's weaponry, armor, or items.

WHERE DOES IT EVER SAY ROSALINA IS A GODDESS BECAUSE I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW!

We cannot set the battle in the middle of space.

Last edited:
Top Bottom