• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's a good secondary for Kirby?

Aiur

Smash Cadet
Topic. I like to use Lucario, Falcon, Lucas, and Pit. Dedede and Toon Link are pretty fun too. So, who's a good secondary for Kirby? Also, say MK and I will kill you...

T_T

Smash Cadet
Metaknight. He's a good secondary for everyone :p
JK

Personally I like G&W and ROB as seconds. Although I prefer to stick with kirby all the way through rather than switch.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I use Shiek and Pikachu for Snake. ICs just because I love them. XP

But I still have a ROB problem. =X

Aiur

Smash Cadet
Thanks guys. Also, is it just me, or do the boards all seem to be isolated from each other? Nobody seems to go to other character boards unless they need matchup information.... I go to every board(mostly for the lulz. Like Xyro calling out what's his face for a Samus match). Too bad I don't really like to use any of the characters you guys mentioned. -_- Also (>")>---{====> *Stabs T_T for mentioning Metaknight* Keep the batman wannabe out of my topics.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
G&W covers ROB
ROB covers Snake
Snake covers G&W
There's your top tier if MK is banned...
All 3 cover ICs
G&W covers Zelda
Snake covers Marth

Or you could go Meta Knight and have an advantage against everybody but Snake...that's what ROB's for

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I don't know what you guys are talking about... Kirby covers ROB ;)

If you're having trouble Kirby vs G&W (hard, but not impossible) try Toon Link, since you said you liked him, and he's my secondary also.

If you're having trouble Kirby vs Snake (again hard, but not impossible) try what other people said, but also try.. Toon Link!

If you're having trouble against Marth (extremely hard, and possibly impossible XD) try.. Toon Link!

There you go, practice with Toon Link

p.s. search for "smash world forums" in google and see the top 2 search results ;)

ron561

Smash Journeyman
Topic. I like to use Lucario, Falcon, Lucas, and Pit. Dedede and Toon Link are pretty fun too. So, who's a good secondary for Kirby? Also, say MK and I will kill you...
I'll tell you whos a good secondary.

Someone you have fun with while your playing.

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
hmmm...I don't know about other Kirb mains, but I play :kirby2::ike: as a double main, so I switch between them depending on how the other player plays. They've completely different styles tho, lol. I used to use :pit:, he might be good for those who've grown accustomed to Kirby's offstage edgeguarding game.

Ills

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised there's no DDD or Jigglypuff in this topic. I don't know about you guys but the jump mechanic is just about the same as Kirby's. I don't know because I don't specifically have a counter, but if I'm off my game I switch to Maim & Watch.

When in doubt, use MK. No, really.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
G&W covers ROB
ROB covers Snake
Snake covers G&W
There's your top tier if MK is banned...
All 3 cover ICs
G&W covers Zelda
Snake covers Marth

Or you could go Meta Knight and have an advantage against everybody but Snake...that's what ROB's for
ROB doesn't begin to cover snake, if anything a good snake should beat an equal ROB player

DDD is a good choice as a secondary, u can counter ROB as well as Snake. Mk u should take with Kirby. I only use ROB for Marths

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
hmmm, Ike is a good choice too. I main Kirby, but I also play Captain Falcon, Toon Link and Ike.

Why? Because I like the characters, or like playing the characters. And Ron's right, you should play what you like.

Tiersie

Smash Ace
I main mostly Kirby. But as secondary I use pit. Because I really think they have good synergy. It leaves me ***** by marth and ROB though. And I don't really know any good ROB counter. And marth is just months away from being fourth after G&W. Really it's **** hard to counter him.

Oh and I'm working on sheik. Just because she's awesome and I really like offensive play. Which is why I don't think pit is a good choice for me anymore. X.x

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Pit is a good secondary for a Kirby main. They mesh well together. I just recently picked him up, cause he does good against Snake, and Olimar, I use MK for ROBs. Other than those characters, my Kirby does good against the rest.

ron561

Smash Journeyman
That's why I listed characters I like. You do in fact win this topic though.... :)

Edit: To Ron
Me personally sir,i've started working on diddy as a secondary.Mainly because he's TOO good in DKC games and he was ownage in the donkey kong cartoon if anyone of you remember it lol.

He's too cool.

Toon link will be next because he reminds me of young link,and wind waker = win.

Then i'm debating between Pikachu and Faux cuz they both play in some of my favorite games :dizzy:

So back to you.Just have Kirby as your main,then choose like 3 secondaries you have the most fun with,and there you go.Just be sure to work one 1 secondary for a good amount of time,play in some tourneys with him,see how you do.That way you can put all your focus on improving that one character before you start another one.

That's how I did it.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Between Pikachu and Faux, go with Faux. Why? .... I don't know. Fox is less annoying to fight against? lol

Oh...why is ROB so hard to beat for Kirby? O_o am I the only one that thinks it's a fairly even matchup?

I beat a good ROB on wifi, and I think he's harder on wifi because dodging/blocking projectiles (for ROB his LAZER and GYRO) is harder with lag.

ron561

Smash Journeyman
I might go with pika..mainly cuz i'd be the only on in my clan playing him ^^

Rob isn't hard..Only time i've seen people have problems is with being able to quickly dodge his projectiles..They aren't a problem to me I usually see em coming and shield before hand...I have a rob in my clan who i've been telling to switch up his game for a while now.Him and alot of other robs do the same thing.Lazer then gyro..It doesn't work but they keep doing it idk why..

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Ganondorf.
Why?
He's a world-class badass. Seriously, look at him:

You don't want to mess with that.

Seriously though, while I personally love Ganon, I'd go with Diddy, Pikachu, Toon Link, D3, or, of course, Metaknight *dodges the starshots hurled in his general direction*. Falcon is a lot of fun, but realistically speaking, he probably won't be much help in serious matches...

ron561

Smash Journeyman
Seriously though, while I personally love Ganon, I'd go with Diddy, Pikachu, Toon Link, D3, or, of course, Metaknight *dodges the starshots hurled in his general direction*. Falcon is a lot of fun, but realistically speaking, he probably won't be much help in serious matches...
Why not?

*prepares melee kirby statement*

Ginowns

Smash Apprentice
dont diss the falcon >_>
on topic: G&W covers most of Kirbys weaknesses, so its better if you use him :p

Ginowns

Smash Apprentice
Not really, Kirby and G&W both get beaten by Snake. Kirby's worst matchup is Snake, G&W worst matchup is Snake. lol.
well i seem to do well vs snakes with both chars, so im fine with that one ^_^
then again, snake is second on the tier list for a reason >_>

ron561

Smash Journeyman
Why is everyone recommending him secondaries for match up purposes..?

And why does everyone have a secondary that counters a match up..?

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
i have G&W as a second main, and sonic, samus and IC's as secondaries, but when worst comes to worst(aka Metaknight) i grin and bear it w/ kirby. But i pretty much play G&w and kirby equally atm.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I might go with pika..mainly cuz i'd be the only on in my clan playing him ^^

Rob isn't hard..Only time i've seen people have problems is with being able to quickly dodge his projectiles..They aren't a problem to me I usually see em coming and shield before hand...I have a rob in my clan who i've been telling to switch up his game for a while now.Him and alot of other robs do the same thing.Lazer then gyro..It doesn't work but they keep doing it idk why..
Indeed, I'm starting to wonder what's so hard about ROB. I lost to a ROB today, 2-1. Except that ROB was HolyNightmare, the rank 2 player on the Allisbrawl ladder (his record is something like 122-22) and he was good, but not THAT good. The biggest factor that helped him win, besides his fairly formidable skill, was the fact that we had EPIC lag in games 2 and 3 (I won the first one). Might be because he lives in Canada >_> but still, they were close games. And I feel like I could have beaten him offline; you need to PREDICT gyros and lasers online, whereas offline you can REACT to gyros and lasers. If you predict wrong online, you'll get punished. If you don't predict, and wait, offline, you can powershield.

And even if you do well against Snake...I don't know. He's beatable, but you have to severely outplay him or get lucky gimps, it seems to me. I'm thinking of using Ike against Snake and Marth since Kirby can have serious difficulty against them.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
my secondary is rob, and my third is lucario. but for all serious (online) matches i use kirby, because i play for fun, even when im being serious, and i want to be known as a good kirby and a good kriby only. hell, if i just wanted to win, id pick metaknight.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Indeed, I'm starting to wonder what's so hard about ROB. I lost to a ROB today, 2-1. Except that ROB was HolyNightmare, the rank 2 player on the Allisbrawl ladder (his record is something like 122-22) and he was good, but not THAT good. The biggest factor that helped him win, besides his fairly formidable skill, was the fact that we had EPIC lag in games 2 and 3 (I won the first one). Might be because he lives in Canada >_> but still, they were close games. And I feel like I could have beaten him offline; you need to PREDICT gyros and lasers online, whereas offline you can REACT to gyros and lasers. If you predict wrong online, you'll get punished. If you don't predict, and wait, offline, you can powershield.

And even if you do well against Snake...I don't know. He's beatable, but you have to severely outplay him or get lucky gimps, it seems to me. I'm thinking of using Ike against Snake and Marth since Kirby can have serious difficulty against them.
Remember that if you're offline playing, you're opponent is also playing offline. He's much better outside the ladder, I've heard. Same with Ally.

On Topic...again...: Ice Climbers

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Olimar, he's floaty and have good air game like Kirby. He fixes a lot of Kirby's bad match up's as well, so I say Olimar for great secondary.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Olimar is pretty good, the only problem being you really have to get into a different mindset if you want to play Olimar.

Also, what I said earlier about Falcon, I meant that he didn't really cover Kirby's bad match-ups. Otherwise, he is a lot of fun!

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
well, i main olimar and secondary kirby, its a great combo and kirby dominates all of olis bad matchups like peach, weegee, and olimar owns or covers most bad matchups for kirby like the links, or ices, or anything bad for kirby just about, the only two matchups not covered good(or even close to even, like 45-55) by either of them are rob and marth

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Remember that if you're offline playing, you're opponent is also playing offline. He's much better outside the ladder, I've heard. Same with Ally.
I wasn't talking so much about who the better player was offline, I was just saying that some characters are simply better on wifi. Also, some aspects of certain characters are better online.

Game and Watch, for example, I think is better online than off, at least against Kirby. Argue against me if you like, but here is my reason: he can be offensive with his attacks, whereas you have to react to them, since almost all his attacks outprioritize almost all of yours. If you blindly run in and BAir each other, he would win. What you have to do is wait for him to attack, and space around it to get a hit. Doing this is so much harder on wifi. Same with teching his Dthrow. You're going to have a different amount of input lag with every different person you play, doing it perfectly every time is going to be impossible.

Another example, since this happened to me today, is Toon Link's upair. I think Toon Link is actually worse online (unless maybe you're spamming projectiles, imo all projectiles are harder to block/catch/powershield on wifi) but his upair kill is freaking dangerous. A couple of times I've predicted it coming, I KNEW it was coming, but my airdodge didn't register in time and I died.

I know you can tell me to react sooner, but if I reacted any sooner, I would be predicting to an extreme, not reacting. And the problem with predicting is that if you predict wrong, you'll get punished. Offline, however, you have more time to react since you don't have input lag, so you won't find yourself getting punished as easily if you play smart.

My point? Wifi sucks, but I know nobody within an hours drive that plays Brawl (or at least is any good at it)

(//.-)

Surgical Precision

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately I have to say Meta Knight... Even though he's not what you want to hear... But the fact of the matter is if your soul aim is to win MK well take you farther then anyone else can go... (Yes because he's just that **** cheap)

A good MK sadly often stands on equal if not better footing then a great Kirby and other then being tossed around like Kirby by air gust effect moves he covers basically every weakness...

If you use him as your 2nd your only real concerns will come in the forum of Snake & G&W users... Both of which you can run circles around & read like a book once you get fast enough...

Otherwise if you REALLY have something against MK to the point of sacrificing a key advantage just for the sake of being able you say your good & you don't use him... Then I'd have to point you at Pikachu...

As he/she/it covers Kirbys worst weakness' as well as it can take on a Snake or G&W user if used with enough skill...

It actually fairs better against MK users then Kirby does as well... Though only a great MK ever really stands a chance against another great MK user unfortunately...

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Unfortunately I have to say Meta Knight... Even though he's not what you want to hear... But the fact of the matter is if your soul aim is to win MK well take you farther then anyone else can go... (Yes because he's just that **** cheap)
That won't help you if he's banned (which it seems to me like there's an 80% chance or higher of that happening)
Otherwise if you REALLY have something against MK to the point of sacrificing a key advantage just for the sake of being able you say your good & you don't use him... Then I'd have to point you at Pikachu...

As he/she/it covers Kirbys worst weakness' as well as it can take on a Snake or G&W user if used with enough skill...
G&W? I'm skeptic because he can absorb Thunderjolt AND Thunder with his bucket. And Pikachu relies pretty heavily on those.

At least Anther does, and he's pwned everyone I've ever seen him play (including me)

Come to think of it, there were lots of G&Ws at that tourney, but I don't remember watching him play against one.

I remember he did Doubles with a G&W though, and kept shouting "Plan Alpha!" as he spammed Thunder into his partner's bucket.

Surgical Precision

Smash Rookie
That won't help you if he's banned (which it seems to me like there's an 80% chance or higher of that happening)
What?... Look he is good but he's not THAT good... I've beaten skilled MK users before with my Kirby... It's just a matter of making sure you don't walk into there attacks & picking up on your opponents mind games... Unfortunately for Kirby though he's too slow to approach a good MK user and most of MK's moves can easily counter Kirbys so your only real course of action is to get a REALLY good read on your opponent and hope they walk into your counter...

G&W? I'm skeptic because he can absorb Thunderjolt AND Thunder with his bucket. And Pikachu relies pretty heavily on those.
To be honest I don't know many Pika users who use Thunder all that much... Most of them in my experience do spam his Fair to Down A Smash though....

At least Anther does, and he's pwned everyone I've ever seen him play (including me)

Come to think of it, there were lots of G&Ws at that tourney, but I don't remember watching him play against one.

I remember he did Doubles with a G&W though, and kept shouting "Plan Alpha!" as he spammed Thunder into his partner's bucket.
LOL Epic...

ron561

Smash Journeyman
What?... Look he is good but he's not THAT good... I've beaten skilled MK users before with my Kirby... It's just a matter of making sure you don't walk into there attacks & picking up on your opponents mind games... Unfortunately for Kirby though he's too slow to approach a good MK user and most of MK's moves can easily counter Kirbys so your only real course of action is to get a REALLY good read on your opponent and hope they walk into your counter...

To be honest I don't know many Pika users who use Thunder all that much... Most of them in my experience do spam his Fair to Down A Smash though....

LOL Epic...
Most people can beat Mk's with no reason. The problem is a bunch of ***s who believe he has no weakness and can't be stopped even if you are better than the person. And all these other gay reasons...So as a result people are pushing for a ban of Mk in tourneys.

And i don't know about you but I use thunder all the time..stops your opponents recovery plans and allows you to even approach and retreat well. try retreating thunder against an aggressive opponent,they will most likely run into it multiple times.I've even killed a few people who have knocked me into the air at high percents and I managed to fall fast and do a perfectly timed thunder that my opponent who was about to attack me gets hit by and dies.I have replays of it.

Top Bottom