• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who was the least wanted character in Smash history?

Who was the least wanted character added?

• Total voters

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Dark Pit being the highest voted character here is definitely showing a lot of bias lmao. Sure, YOU may not have wanted him, and he might not have the "in retrospect he's good" going for him other characters do, but objectively Corrin and Roy were from games not even out yet, and couldn't have possibly been wanted. Corrin slightly better than Roy because of the japan release, ofc. Plenty of people (myself included) thought Dark Pit was a good addition for being an echo fighter based off of one of the best characters in Uprising.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well Nsider is gone and I'm not looking through the IGN forums for Brawl info.

Ask Brawl vets like ChronoBound ChronoBound or N3ON N3ON
Signal me, and you shall receive. I still have some pre-Brawl polls around:

Here are three different polls from the pre-Brawl period I tallied:

I tallied all the the votes as of 3:00A.M. last night, and here are the results for the top contenders: (characters with 25 votes or more)

Sonic: 69
Ridley: 61
Diddy Kong: 43
Wolf: 35
King Dedede: 34
Krystal: 32
Ike: 32
Mega Man: 31
Geno: 28
Lucario: 27
Midna: 25

(NOTE: Some may of these may be 1-4 votes more than they should be, because I think I may have counted the votes of people who kept re-posting their lists, but they're pretty accurate for the most part)

Two other pre-Brawl polls:

I was looking through some old folders of mine, and I discovered that I had recorded the results for two pre-Brawl polls. Unfortunately, there is no date given on any of the polls, but it ranges from when Brawl was first announced to when the first Dojo newcomers were confirmed.

Poll #1: Nsider first half of 2007

Mario series:
- Geno: 19
- Bowser Jr.: 7
- Toad: 6
- Waluigi: 4
- Daisy: 4
- Mallow: 3
- Paper Mario: 2

Donkey Kong series:
- Diddy Kong: 23
- K. Rool: 8
- Dixie Kong: 3

The Legend of Zelda series:
- Midna: 13
- Vaati: 10
- Fierce Diety Link: 6
- Tingle: 6
- Zant: 4

Metroid series:
- Ridley: 32
- Dark Samus: 2

Kirby series:
- King Dedede: 16

Star Fox series:
- Wolf: 19
- Krystal: 16

Pokemon series:
- Lucario: 10
- Deoxys: 5
- Meowth: 4
- Plusle & Minun: 3
- Blaziken: 2

F-Zero:
- Samurai Goroh: 8

Mother/EarthBound series:
LOL

Fire Emblem series:
- Ike: 14
- Lyn: 14
- Sigurd: 5

Other series:
- Tom Nook: 12
- Isaac: 11
- Olimar: 10
- Mii: 5
- Ray: 4
- Starfy: 4
- Andy: 4

Retro:
- Little Mac: 8
- Balloon Fighter: 6
- Lip: 4
- Muddy Mole: 4
- Takamaru: 2
- Sukapon: 2

Third-Party:
- Sonic: 35
- Mega Man: 13
- Bomberman: 8
- Shadow: 7
- Sora: 6
- Simon Belmont: 5
- Rayman: 4
- Knuckles: 4
- Tails: 4
- Lloyd Irving: 3
- Pac-Man: 2

Top 10 for Nsider poll:
1. Sonic (35)
2. Ridley (32)
3. Diddy Kong (23)
4 Wolf, Geno (19)
5. King Dedede, Krystal (16)
6. Ike, Lyn (14)
7. Mega Man, Midna (13)
8. Tom Nook (12)
9. Isaac (11)
10. Olimar, Lucario, Vaati (10)

Poll #2: GameFAQs, first half of 2007

For some reason there are much less character results recorded for this poll. I don't know why. My theory is that its a separate page to record characters that got more than 1-3 votes (so as to record the higher ranking characters better since there were so many single vote characters in the GameFAQs poll). There is no character on the page that has below 15 votes, so I think this is most likely what this is.

Mario series:
- Geno: 27
- Bowser Jr.: 20

Donkey Kong series:
- Diddy Kong: 37
- K. Rool: 19

The Legend of Zelda series:
The page does not list any Zelda characters so I am assuming there were no Zelda characters that had received at least 15 votes.

Metroid series:
- Ridley: 36
- Dark Samus: 19

Kirby series:
- King Dedede: 32

Star Fox series:
- Krystal: 30
- Wolf: 29

Pokemonseries:
The page does not list any Pokemon characters so I am assuming there were no Pokemon characters that had received at least 15 votes.

F-Zero series:
No character received at least 15 votes.

Fire Emblem series:
- Ike: 16
- Lyn: 15

Other series:
- Isaac: 22
- Tom Nook: 18

Retro:

Third-Party:
- Sonic: 58
- Mega Man: 35
- Shadow: 15

Overall Top 10 for GameFAQs poll:
1. Sonic (58)
2. Diddy Kong (37)
3. Ridley (36)
4. Mega Man (35)
5. King Dedede (32)
6. Krystal (30)
7. Wolf (29)
8. Geno (27)
9. Isaac (22)
10. Bowser Jr. (20)

Pretty interesting.

D

Deleted member

Signal me, and you shall receive. I still have some pre-Brawl polls around:

Here are three different polls from the pre-Brawl period I tallied:

I tallied all the the votes as of 3:00A.M. last night, and here are the results for the top contenders: (characters with 25 votes or more)

Sonic: 69
Ridley: 61
Diddy Kong: 43
Wolf: 35
King Dedede: 34
Krystal: 32
Ike: 32
Mega Man: 31
Geno: 28
Lucario: 27
Midna: 25

(NOTE: Some may of these may be 1-4 votes more than they should be, because I think I may have counted the votes of people who kept re-posting their lists, but they're pretty accurate for the most part)

LOL

Overall Top 10 for GameFAQs poll:
1. Sonic (58)
2. Diddy Kong (37)
3. Ridley (36)
4. Mega Man (35)
5. King Dedede (32)
6. Krystal (30)
7. Wolf (29)
8. Geno (27)
9. Isaac (22)
10. Bowser Jr. (20)

Pretty interesting.
So what you're saying is that Lucas and Claus weren't even mentioned by more than or equal to 15 people...
and you're saying that THIS
I lurked on IGN and Nsider.
Lucas and Claus were both very popular requests.
Quote is false.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well Nsider is gone and I'm not looking through the IGN forums for Brawl info.

Ask Brawl vets like ChronoBound ChronoBound or N3ON N3ON
I don't have a link but yeah, I remember Lucas and Claus both being pretty popular requests, and pre-reveal Lucas was definitely among the more expected additions, to the the point where some thought he could replace Ness. I think Claus was more a fan-favourite than someone seen as highly likely, but both had sizeable support behind them.

Definitely Claus' popularity peak.

Edit: I've no reason to doubt Chrono's polls, but if you check this site you can see that Claus has the sixth most active character thread (for those that didn't make it). While not a direct correlation to popularity, to say he was without fans during that period would be very untrue.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't have a link but yeah, I remember Lucas and Claus both being pretty popular requests, and pre-reveal Lucas was definitely among the more expected additions, to the the point where some thought he could replace Ness. I think Claus was more a fan-favourite than someone seen as highly likely, but both had sizeable support behind them.

Definitely Claus' popularity peak.

Edit: I've no reason to doubt Chrono's polls, but if you check this site you can see that Claus has the sixth most active character thread (for those that didn't make it). While not a direct correlation to popularity, to say he was without fans during that period would be very untrue.
Ok then. honestly didn't know that... time to leave this thread forever looking like a dummy, buh bye!

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Dark Pit being the highest voted character here is definitely showing a lot of bias lmao. Sure, YOU may not have wanted him, and he might not have the "in retrospect he's good" going for him other characters do, but objectively Corrin and Roy were from games not even out yet, and couldn't have possibly been wanted. Corrin slightly better than Roy because of the japan release, ofc. Plenty of people (myself included) thought Dark Pit was a good addition for being an echo fighter based off of one of the best characters in Uprising.
Actually Corrin being from a game that hadn't even released yet probably made him more desirable considering the success of Fire Emblem Awakening.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I suppose it could've varied by site. I found this 2007 thread on IGN and on the very first page you'll see people expecting Ness to have been dropped in favour of Lucas:
https://www.ign.com/boards/threads/super-smash-bros-brawl-faq.149583889/
There is definitely site discrepancies in terms of character tastes for sites (as you can see with how the results differed between just Nsider and GameFAQs for certain character choices) . Dark Samus and K. Rool were both far more popular on here and GameFAQs during pre-Brawl than Nsider for example. I also remember Claus having a big thread here. However, lots of people elsewhere simply did not who he was.

However, overall the Top 10 for the Western pre-Brawl (up until the second round of confirmations in August 2007), probably looked like this:

1. Sonic
2/3. Ridley
2/3. Diddy Kong
4. Mega Man
5. King Dedede
6./7. Wolf
6./7. Krystal
8. Geno
9./10./11. Ike
9./10./11. Lyn
9../10./11. Isaac

osby

Smash Obsessed
Fire Emblem, it had 1 new fighter in every game since Melee.
Melee: Marth, Roy
Brawl: Ike
SM4SH: Lucina, Robin, Corrin
Smash Ultimate: Chrom
None of them got in because Sakurai lefts open a slot for Fire Emblem, unlike Greninja and Incineroar.

Actually Corrin being from a game that hadn't even released yet probably made him more desirable considering the success of Fire Emblem Awakening.
You guys know Fates was out in Japan, right? Japanese fans exist.

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
None of them got in because Sakurai lefts open a slot for Fire Emblem, unlike Greninja and Incineroar.

You guys know Fates was out in Japan, right? Japanese fans exist.
You're right! I did forget an important detail, it was out for a year in the east.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Wait, Corrin got added in Smash before even being on a game?

And yet Sakurai needs to think for years to actually add characters people ask for, like Ridley? I thought Corrin got added because japanese fans wanted to see yet another anime rpg character on the roster?

I mean Roy is the same, but i cant complain about him, hes like the only Fire Emblem character that doesnt look like a generic RPG anime fighter with unnatural hair color and he got added when the roster barely had any anime characters except Marth.

And Dark Pit is a love and hate relationship to me, like Piranha Plant. Hes cooler than Pit, but he should have been a palette swap. Its like if they decided to put clone Mewtwo or Fire Mario from an alternate universe to the roster without any changes but the palette.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

And yet Sakurai needs to think for years to actually add characters people ask for, like Ridley? I thought Corrin got added because japanese fans wanted to see yet another anime rpg character on the roster?

I mean Roy is the same, but i cant complain about him, hes like the only Fire Emblem character that doesnt look like a generic RPG anime fighter with unnatural hair color and he got added when the roster barely had any anime characters except Marth.

And Dark Pit is a love and hate relationship to me, like Piranha Plant. Hes cooler than Pit, but he should have been a palette swap. Its like if they decided to put clone Mewtwo or Fire Mario from an alternate universe to the roster without any changes but the palette.
Corrin was in a game, it's just Western fans acting like a game needs to be localized in order to exist.

Ridley wasn't added for a long time because he was hard to implement.

There is no such thing as "anime rpg"

Dark Pit is his own character in Kid Icarus: Uprising, just like Daisy or Luigi.

I hate having to explain this stuff

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865

Dark Pit being an alt skin of Pit would be just as egregious as Alph being an alt skin of Olimar.

Oh wait...

The point is, Dark Pit has a completely different personality and backstory etc etc he deserved the echo fighter spot.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Dark Pit being an alt skin of Pit would be just as egregious as Alph being an alt skin of Olimar.

Oh wait...

The point is, Dark Pit has a completely different personality and backstory etc etc he deserved the echo fighter spot.
I guess in the end, it came down to Olimar's (very complicated) moveset being different from Pit (and Marth/Mario).

Madwario

Smash Apprentice

Oh wait...

I want Bowser JR and Ludwig to be echoes :D

But, i prefer Dark Pit over Pit any day, is there any more difference between them now? He doesnt seem to be echo, atleast when it comes to Smash 4 with his side B and ultra.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I want Bowser JR and Ludwig to be echoes :D

But, i prefer Dark Pit over Pit any day, is there any more difference between them now? He doesnt seem to be echo, atleast when it comes to Smash 4 with his side B and ultra.
Side B sends at a different angle, neutral B is stronger but with less control, and forward smash has more knockback. (for some reason) It's exactly the same changes as in 4.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
Piranha Plant by a long mile. No one wanted him as no one ever thought about him but I am glad he is coming. Unless you count him as Petey. That guy does have his fanbase.

D

Deleted member

Corrin. The only first-party DLC newcomer from Smash 4, and it was for an upcoming game.

And the character in said game was annoying as hell.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
I am still confused by Corrin. Did Nintendo flat out lie about the DLCs? They said that they were going to add DLCs based on popularity, or did i misread that information?

Well yeah, Corrin and Piranha Plant are by far the most hated ones tbh.

I hate Piranha Plant because he is basically a joke to Waluigi fans like the trophy videos but i am at the same time glad its not a medieval fighter again.

Oh boy, this Waluigi thing is quite crazy. I have seen this kind of stuffs before.

Its when a character hated and joked by a company gets some kind of a cult status, gets tons of fans behind him, and that forces the said company to change the way the character is treated by giving him more respect, and giving him some backstories to make him more useful.

I guess that Waluigi is the next one. I dont think i will even main Waluigi (maybe make him an alt), but i want him to be on the roster just because Wario needs a partner.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Whatever helps you sleep at night. You assert something and aren't willing to expand the definition. Perhaps you don't like the idea that Mr. G&W isn't a Smash exclusive. I know what you're saying, but you seem to have a problem accepting a broader definition.
Could you at least define that broader definition more clearly?

D

Deleted member

Idc tbh. I guess Dark pit is kinda pointless. But I don't really have a least wanted character.

Top Bottom