• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who picked their main based on your liking for their game series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I have talked to a lot of people and read a lot of posts recently that made me believe a lot of people have picked characters solely on how effective they are. Admittedly I'm sure many people picked a character because they like the moveset. But, how many people decided to main a character solely because they love the game series or their character in the game series?

Maybe it's just my opinion, but in Smash Bros I feel the characters all have a lot more of a background to them then any normal fighting game. These characters have their respective series and that is pretty much how I decide their worth as a character. :)

For example, I play Wolf because I love the Star Fox series and when I was younger I always thought Wolf was really cool in Star Fox 64. Plus I loved his role in Assault.

I also play Ganondorf because he is my favorite villain of all time and because I love the Zelda series. Sure, Ganondorf is pretty mediocre, and I'm sure I could do a lot better with someone like Meta Knight, but I don't like the Kirby series and I especially find Meta Knight to be a lame Kirby character.

So I guess the point of the topic is to find out why you picked your main. Did you pick your main because of their character outside of Smash or did you pick your main because you like the moveset or they are a stronger character?

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
well I picked Mario Sonic Link and Kirby from the games but I picked Marth because he's bad-***(his backstory only helped)

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely, 100% yes. The moment Snake's codec popped up at the end of the 2006 trailer, I instantly knew it was my destiny to main Snake. Though I cant convince my friends otherwise, they think I play him because hes supposively GOD TIER LOLZ.

But I'm sure many people choose characters according to what their play style is, not from what background of games they come from. After all, people main DK and Sonic, dont they? (OOOH BURN)

Sorry Sonic, your all washed up buddy.

Talek

Smash Cadet
In a sense i did pick my main based on whether or not i liked there game series. As for me i love the star fox series and one of my favorite characters in that game was wolf and when i heard he was going to be in brawl i instantly knew that i wanted to main him. I pick my main based on there play style first and fore most though because whats the point of playing a main who doesn't fit your style :ohwell:

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Absolutely, 100% yes. The moment Snake's codec popped up at the end of the 2006 trailer, I instantly knew it was my destiny to main Snake. Though I cant convince my friends otherwise, they think I play him because hes supposively GOD TIER LOLZ.

But I'm sure many people choose characters according to what their play style is, not from what background of games they come from. After all, people main DK and Sonic, dont they? (OOOH BURN)

Sorry Sonic, your all washed up buddy.
I love Metal Gear games as well, and that is a major reason why I play Snake, but my friends cry foul to.

But, HEY! DK is my secondary after Ganondorf. :laugh:

MrOtter

Smash Journeyman
I play T.Link because I love his playstyle, Windwaker was my second favourite Zelda game ever (behind OOT) and I played Y.Link in Melee.

Then my secondary is Diddy, who I play because of his nanana's. :3

SHUCKLE MAN

Smash Cadet
I think Star Fox 64 is the best Nintendo game ever made. Better than Super Mario 64, better than Orcarina of Time, better than Brawl..., so I think that may have affected my choice to use Fox. I also like using Mario and Ivysaur, and those 3 characters come from my 3 favorite series, so maybe I have, absent-mindedly, let my preference of computer game series have an influence on my mains.

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
I loved Diddy Kong ever since I was five years old playing Donkey Kong Country with my dad on his SNES, and ever since Star Fox 64, Wolf has been my favorite villain. He's pretty much the Boba Fett of Nintendo...a mystery but somehow awesome...

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
I think Star Fox 64 is the best Nintendo game ever made. Better than Super Mario 64, better than Orcarina of Time, better than Brawl....
Woah, woah, woah, hang on a second here. That's a pretty big claim. No hate on Star Fox and friends, but I'm not so sure any of their games stand up to the likes of the legendary 64 titles, those that revolutionized the way we look at video games! But props to being such an avid Star Fox fan.

yhchaosbdon

Smash Rookie
I picked Lucario because, yes, I do like the Pokemon series, but I was trying out a whole mess of differenct characters and I found that I'm quite good with Lucario.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I play my characters if I can make my style of play fit them. Last game it was Peach and her veggie mindgames. I'm not that good with her now, so I've moved to Diddy, who has banana mindgames, and Zerosuit, who has some suit piece mingames at first and then the spacing with her whip and blaster.

If they'd included Issac he'd be my main hands down.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I pick my characters based on the series they are from. I found the Zelda series extremely boring until The Wind Waker came out, and I fell for the amazing cel shaded and Toon Link's expressive face. To this day, I've only beaten titles with Toon Link's design in it. I love the art style so much.

And I main all of the Pokemon because Pokemon is my favourite Nintendo series. Pokemon Trainer making it as a playable character was a huge highlight for me because I wanted him in very badly. Pikachu was my main since N64, and after a friend who was hyped up by Lucario (and mained Jigglypuff) ditched them, I tried them out and enjoyed them.

HeAP

Smash Rookie
I really love the Kirby series and all , and that did influence my decision to main D3 but it certainly wasn't the only reason. I also play a very good Olimar,but i don't really enjoy the Pikmen games.

Btw: Hi im new here, not so much a noob but a smash enthusiast . if you feel obligated to share your Wii# or SSBB FC please PM me .

eggs-on-toast

Smash Apprentice
I definitly pick my mains based on their respective series. Thats why im finding it really hard to choose a main. I still think DKC was one of the best games ever and still play it so i consider DK and Diddy. But i remember Yoshis Island another great game so im stuck on Yoshi. And on gameboys the wario land game are great.
Ive ruled out diddy as he is supposidly high tier but now DK is getting into some peoples high tier and im kinda bored of him from the last 2 smashes which i mained DK in

Tenki

Smash Hero
I picked Ike because I liked Fire Emblem, and cause he kicks so much butt in his games.

Then I found out that everyone wanted to pick the 'new Roy', and fighting Ikes in random wifi was annoying, even if I was more of a 1v1 player >_>
------
Now I play Sonic. I thought he sucked at first but I gave him a shadow (NO PUN) of a doubt cause Sonic was what got me into video games XD. Haha, sometimes I play him like it was Sonic 3, N-air for flash shield, spin dashes all over the place.
------------
Choosing mains based on games isn't always a bad thing though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ5NL8Gr1Ig

This guy plays Samus like it was Metroid, and kicks butt with it. I think he got a bit too much into it though ._.; should have won...

JewieBud

Smash Cadet
after seeing wolf in the cut scene at the beginning of melee i knew he was gonna be mine.... and when i heard about metaknight i FELL IN LOVE...(mained kirby in melee)

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
I have never played one game of any of my main's. I have played plenty of Metriod games, but none with Zero Suit playing an important role. I have tried Kirby, Pikmin, and F-Zero games for maybe 30 minutes.

Ramgigon

Smash Journeyman
This is where I put whether or not I like Brawl
Well, I play some of them just because I can beat people more easily with them (Meta Knight and Snake, to name a few), but for others, I love their game series.

I try Donkey Kong, no matter how badly I fail with him, because I loved Donkey Kong Country 2 so much and DK holds a special place in my heart.
I feel bad leaving Pokemon characters alone, so I play Pokemon Trainer.
And recently, I've picked up Yoshi - Yoshi's Island was one of my favorite games.

Drack

Smash Apprentice
I like most of the characters, so that doesn't determine why I play them.

I play the characters I'm most effective with. This sometimes lines up with the tiers, sometimes doesn't.

Anarkex

Smash Cadet
I play Ness because I heart Earthbound, and Dedede is by far my favorite addition to Brawl because he's always been my favorite Kirby character. But I usually pick characters with preference only to how uncommon they are, and not usually because I love the series...kind of because I have played and enjoyed at least one entry in most characters' series by now.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
I'd said since the 64 Smash Bros. was released that Meta Knight would be an awesome character to have in the game. I've always loved the Kirby series, and he's just an awesome character. Funny enough, he fits right into my playing style. In 64 and Melee, respectively, I mained Kirby and Marth. Kirby because I love having multiple jumps, and I feel like he packs enough power to get by. Marth because he's quick, and can deal successive hits and rack up damage quickly. So I kinda felt like Meta Knight combined the two in a way that fit my playing style perfectly. Anyway, that was sort of a tangent. But yes, I think I do pick most of my characters based on liking for their game. Love the Kirby series, and I play well at all three Kirby characters. Never a huge Star Fox fan, and I don't find Fox, Falco, or Wolf very entertaining or easy to play. Although it almost seems to naturally fit that those characters I like have attributes I prefer... Whether that's coincidence or my own mental adjustment, who's to say...

:034:

Smash Hero
Kind of. Ganondorf is awesome, but I don't think I would've mained him again if he didn't have those awesomely strong attacks (ex: dair).

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Me, my main was and 1 of my secondaries(sonic). Fox was chosen cause Im good with him since melee. Lucario was chosen because , although he is sort of diffrent, his similar to mewtwo who I liked to play as.

Genghis Krahn

Smash Cadet
Yeah, for the most part I use characters that I like in a game series.

I've always used Pikachu, and when then announced Pokemon Trainer, I was pumped, because I've always liked all the starter pokemon in the game.

Also, I really enjoy using King Dedede because I'm a fan of the Kirby series. And fighting using a villian you used to have to fight against is a lot of fun.

On the other hand, there are some characters that I have liked in Smash Bros. that made me want to play that characters game (the opposite effect). Characters like Captain Falcon I wasn't familiar with until the first Smash Bros.

dark_tp_link

Smash Cadet
I main Toon Link because I love the legend of zelda series plus OOT is my favourite game of all time. I don't really wind waker or the games he's in, but I really like his playstyle.

gorgon.

Smash Ace
Yeah, I picked Olimar because the Pikmin series is one of my favourites. I was delighted to see his moveset really shows the uniqueness of his series, his dependance on Pikmin.

I use Luigi and Bowser because the Mario series is my favourite, and Bowser is my favourite villain (he's comical.)

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
I chose Zelda because of OoT it's a total masterpiece and has that feeling that when you finish it makes you satisfied

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
even though I don't main Snake, I generally do like him better than the rest since I really respect and grew up playing the Metal Gear Solid series

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I did. Yoshi's Island fo the SNES is my favorite game off all time, which explains why I still use Yoshi.

The MGS series is second on that list, explaining why I use Snake.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I used to be a Pokemon fan so I mained Pikachu and anyone else from the series. But soon I tried the Kid Icarus series and now I also main Pit.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
There's a stickied topic for why you picked your main.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom