• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who needs help with Combos, Damages, Advanced Tactics for Falco, etc.

Leoneri

Smash Ace
It will still be tilted up slightly and firebird instead of blasting at the time when I would need to blast.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Or you can slightly tilt the control stick down before you plug it in so it makes up for the natural up. It's what my friend does to fix his.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Yes. Sometimes when he first plugs it in, you can see the hand drift in a direction, so he justs unplugs it, holds the control stick enough in the opposite direction, and repeats that until it stops moving.

Secks.

Smash Ace
You can reset your control by holding L R A and Start for about 4 seconds I believe. In the case that your hand drifts in any direction it will restore it to normal. I don't quite remember what the buttons were. It could involve X and Y. Also in the process of reseting your control by holding the buttons down. If you hold your control stick in a certain direction your character will be facing that direction while you reset. So if you hold down and play a game your charcter should be crouching.

clowsui

Smash Legend
okay.

I can do perfect wavedashes, but not waveshining. I think I can't because I'm using X, which would also explain why I can't EHDL with two lasers at the same height. Do I need to switch to Y or is everything possible with Y possible with X?

Leoneri

Smash Ace
For waveshining, the button doesn't matter, you might be turning in the shine, or a problem I have is when I try wavedashing out of a shine I somehow feel like pressing L faster than a regular wavedash which means I press it before Falco's jump delay, resulting in only a jump.

So to waveshine just do a wavedash out of your shine, only you must make sure you don't input your direction before you jump or else you'll turn around in the shine.

For the EHDL, you have to use the control stick, it'll work with X/Y but its easier with the control stick, and it also frees up your thumb so you can fire right away.

Enzyme

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I try to use the control stick for LHDL I don't get the horizontal input and fall to my death. Well, not all the time, but enough to make me use y. I'd be very interested to hear what others think too.

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Hey DaShizWiz, it's an honor to speak with a fantastic falco from Florida ;) :estatic:
Good luck on your future tourneys BTW!

Because I'm crazy and have way too many questions about Falco, I'll go organized for once...

1. I prefer the waveshine turnaround edgehog, but I just can't rotate the control stick. Most people do phantasm the other way, and I'm no different. Any tips?

2. Well, from your insanely awesome vids, you obviously p00n at shine combos. Which characters should I wavedash out of the shine - Dair; and which other MUs should I JC - Dair? Thanks! :p

3. Now here's your specialty. Midair shine - Bair. Any recommendations? I usually have trouble with the JC.

4. On platforms, I can't do shine combos. Let's say I'm on a random Battlefield platform, and when I shine, I usually go through the platform, then shine. I can't waveshine out of it!!! :dizzy: (I don't think you can help me there :urg: )

5. What are some of your favorite Falco "mindgames"? I dunno, but most people I play say I have no mindgames...

Meh, I'm asking way too many questions :eek: I'm abusing your awesomeness :grin:

You rock, Thanks for helping me out!

Sliraobe God

Miharu

Smash Hero
1. I don't do either XD What I do is do a quick dashdance, then WD backwards to edgehog. It's essentially a slower, less flashy shine-turnaround edgehog.

2. Wavedash out of shine for pretty much all characters.

3. Use control stick to JC, and cstick for aerial.

4. Eh, I can't help you here really XD

5. Play laser games. RSHL a lot, randomly run off and do a LHDL or anything. Go watch some vids, see what they do, get a bit creative.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Sliraobe God.

1. Its practice, all you have to do is shine, push the opposite direction, then wavedash backwards. At first its hard, but don't worry, you'll get it in time :).

2. I think its usually best to wavedash out of shine. But for floaty characters in some situations it may be best to jump/double jump out of the shine.

3. Its all timing. Just practice using the control stick. Do the shine, then push up on the control stick(Doesn't even matter if you push up slowly, its still faster than the Y button), then flick the c-stick backwards..

4. Hmmm platform combos. You have to do the shine quickly so you don't go through the stage. But not too quickly, and then from there you should be able to do any combos that you usually do on the ground. You should watch some video of Forward, he is very good with Platform combos.

5. The mindgames are kind of hard to explain. But I like when I die in the game, and I'm coming back to them and when I get close to them I know they're gonna roll behind me, so I just forward smash backwards. It works pretty well.

saberhof

Smash Master
5. The mindgames are kind of hard to explain. But I like when I die in the game, and I'm coming back to them and when I get close to them I know they're gonna roll behind me, so I just forward smash backwards. It works pretty well.
hehe thats awsome advice, thnx for that ;P...

SLAYERCoLdKiLr

Smash Journeyman
DaShizWiz, something that I see on a lot of matches are people that can wavedash really well, L cancel really well, platform dash, a lot of technical stuff but when it comes to 1vs1 they dont have a good flow, they mess up dashing upto their opponent. For example, you see someone that looks like he can handle himself great with captain falcon, but then never combos, you see a marth that can move fluidly, but can never edgeguard great. A lot of great speed players just don't have the mindset of doing basic things. I'm asking you, cause your speed is phenominal, and I know you have the fastest hands in florida, how would you rate speed as a necessity. I know PC chris can't go as fast as you, but his mindset is amazing and knows what to do and when to do it. And do you think that someone can beat you with just an all around knowledge of the game, or would you just combo them to hell and not even let them have a chance?

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
DaShizWiz, something that I see on a lot of matches are people that can wavedash really well, L cancel really well, platform dash, a lot of technical stuff but when it comes to 1vs1 they dont have a good flow, they mess up dashing upto their opponent. For example, you see someone that looks like he can handle himself great with captain falcon, but then never combos, you see a marth that can move fluidly, but can never edgeguard great. A lot of great speed players just don't have the mindset of doing basic things. I'm asking you, cause your speed is phenominal, and I know you have the fastest hands in florida, how would you rate speed as a necessity. I know PC chris can't go as fast as you, but his mindset is amazing and knows what to do and when to do it. And do you think that someone can beat you with just an all around knowledge of the game, or would you just combo them to hell and not even let them have a chance?
Very good question. I really want to answer this question. But I am in school with a gay keyboard. I'll reply as soon as I get home.

Avenger7x

Smash Cadet
Hey Shiz, just want to say how much I admire your falco skillz and how I think it's great that you'd help everyone out on the boards so much.

Any tips on doing a double shine to a shffled dair? I'm pretty good at double shines and also and the dair, but when I put them together I will mess up either the JC on the second shine or fast falling the dair. Any tips?

Oh, and my buddy also has a really good jiggly. He's usually not a problem but he's really accurate with his rests. Any strategies you like to use against jigglys?

Thanx a lot! ...and maybe one day I'll get to play you at a tourney down here in FL...

Handorin

Smash Hero
Avenger:
Use lots of lasers in the air.
Dont get grabbed.
Space yourself so he cant get in close for those gimp rest. =P
Mix up your recoveries so it is harder for him to edgeguard.
Dtilt is awsome if you can get it off on a Jiggly.
Try Nairs more for approaches since Dairs will knock them more so in the air since she floats.

That's all I can think of atm.

lexxil

Smash Apprentice
What I like to do is recovering near the stage
So that the jiggz only can hit me with a fair/ bair and i fly against the stage, then tech...

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Awesome Help!

Sorry for the belated reply :p , Thanks so much DaShizWiz! That help was perfect, I'm pretty sure I have everything that I need right now down :)

If you don't mind, I would love to help out on this thread, this discussion is probably better for falco players than all the different guides out there.
Guides are just ways to refresh your mind, ways to make sure you have every technique in check! :idea:

Actual falco discussions are way better - you get more than 1 view on falco.

Anyways, Slayer, I was thinking:

Speed is definitely an important part of competitive smash, but the most important part is maintaing yourself in the present situation. I think the only points you need to worry about speed are when YOU are in control of the match. Speed can dictate the quality of your play, for instance, your example with Marth's edgeguarding. :rolleyes:

Besides, its probably the pressure that affects someone's speed (I know my falco sucks in real MUs). Play more funs with others, that will get you more comfortable with speed in the serious battle.

Sliraobe God

MasterGary

Smash Ace
I'm a pretty techincal Falco player and I prefer using speed, but my friends say that I make a lot of stupid mistakes because I try being fancy and fast too much and I miss a lot of killing oppurtunities.

But I have this friend who has almost no technical skill, he l-cancels every now and then and throws in some wavedashing occasionaly and he beats me but he is like the cheapest player in the world. He uses Marth, Peach and Sheik( 3 of the cheapest characters)

Myztek

Smash Ace
I think the main reason people who appear to have great tech skill will do so poorly is because they are too busy trying to use their technical abilities, whether they're needed at the time or not, just to be using them. Smarter players can have the same amount of technical skill but it may not be as noticeable because they're doing what will work and what is most effective for the given situation rather than what would look the coolest.

MasterGary

Smash Ace
I think the main reason people who appear to have great tech skill will do so poorly is because they are too busy trying to use their technical abilities, whether they're needed at the time or not, just to be using them. Smarter players can have the same amount of technical skill but it may not be as noticeable because they're doing what will work and what is most effective for the given situation rather than what would look the coolest.
Well that's the way he plays, but he realy doesn't have any real technical skill( he doesn't have a GC)

Myztek

Smash Ace
I have a question for you Shiz. I've noticed that your waveshining is faster than most people's. Do you slide your thumb from B to Y for the waveshine? Or do you just lift your thumb off and press normally? I was testing it earlier, and the sliding was a lot faster, but since I'm not used to it I would triangle jump occasionally. But I'm just wondering if that's how you do it.

Marth_marth

Smash Cadet
Is it legal to put a band-aid on your finger so it slides faster. I do this with friends but was curious about MLG.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Myztec, what vid did you see me waveshining fast in? And what I do is both.

I slide my hands from down b, to X and R. Over the A button to wavedash really fast out of the shine. Or I'll just let go of the B button and then push X and then R really quickly. Its all about the timing that makes it fast. Like if you slide to fast, you'll just short hop out of your shine.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Is it legal to put a band-aid on your finger so it slides faster. I do this with friends but was curious about MLG.
I was going to check, but I couldnt find the rules. I would believe it is not illegal, it is not modifying your controller at all, so it should be ok.

mathos

Smash Champion
Although I'm no official MLG staff member, bandaiding yourself when there isn't anything wrong with yourself for performance enhancement would be illegal.

If you can't move your fingers fast enough, you got 2 real options: Learn to time better or Practice more!

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
I jump with Y. And wavedash with X and R.. But guys, its whatever is most comfortable for you. If you wavedash better with something else, use that.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I currently main fox and second falco, i also multishine a lot w/ fox, and am used to that timing. I want to learn to multishine w/ falco as well because it's clearly advantageous (more so that fox's), but i need to maintain both timings. I know that you're one of the leading falco double/ multishiners, shiz, so i've got a question, i haven't really tried yet (my av cable is busted), but is falco's multishine easy enough to do from x>b (i do fox's w/ y>b and there are 2 extra frames)? This would keep the timings distinct. Thanks shiz.

PS - I know alot of you falco players like to be flashy I've made a flashy fox vid to enjoy (not nearly as good as shiz's falco vid):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5034768952955448555&q=scotu

captainlukey

Smash Ace
I currently main fox and second falco, i also multishine a lot w/ fox, and am used to that timing. I want to learn to multishine w/ falco as well because it's clearly advantageous (more so that fox's), but i need to maintain both timings. I know that you're one of the leading falco double/ multishiners, shiz, so i've got a question, i haven't really tried yet (my av cable is busted), but is falco's multishine easy enough to do from x>b (i do fox's w/ y>b and there are 2 extra frames)? This would keep the timings distinct. Thanks shiz.

PS - I know alot of you falco players like to be flashy I've made a flashy fox vid to enjoy (not nearly as good as shiz's falco vid):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5034768952955448555&q=scotu
**** man that combo vid was awesome.... how did you get fox's waveshine to look that smooth...
you should probly put a guide up for fox or something... that was awesome... oh and how do you time foxs wavedash so that its not choppy... im not a fox player but id like to know plz..

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Scotu, I find it easier with Falco's Y<B.

The timings between Falco and Fox are very close though. Just do it a tad later with Falco. Like my first main in SSBM was Fox. And which I switched mains about a year ago I found things really hard, but it took a little practice to get both of the timings down so now its not a problem. Like just switch characters every time you fight someone or are going to fight a computer or something, just to feel the different feeling. That will also help you multishine better with Falco. And yeah X<B sounds pretty smart, never thought about it frame wise. But I've did it from X<B, and its just a little more difficiult then Y<B.

Alright, I'll watch your video now. :).

SCOTU

Smash Hero
**** man that combo vid was awesome.... how did you get fox's waveshine to look that smooth...
you should probly put a guide up for fox or something... that was awesome... oh and how do you time foxs wavedash so that its not choppy... im not a fox player but id like to know plz..
No big secret to the wavedash/waveshine:
* wavedash: press x>r in fast succession it's just like w/ falco only a bit faster (2 frames:1/30 sec)
* waveshine: press down-b lift thumb from b press x>r as a normal wavedash; i don't slide my fingers (for waveshining, i do for multishining and shdl'ing, but that is w/ y not x)

Top Bottom