• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who needs help with Combos, Damages, Advanced Tactics for Falco, etc.

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
well ive mastered the skill of intercepting(meteor smashing?) with the side b of falco, is this a good move? or should i not be doing this, cause i think it looks pretty awsome.
Too risky for edgeguarding IMO. I think you're better off with dair or bair.

the_air_up_there7

Smash Ace
Laredo Texas (training mode), offseason :)
I need help pillaring marth is there a way? how? he just so high after I shine him. Plz somebody aswser and is there a way to pillar samus? I got another question for all you falco players, when you guys short hop laser do u guys always do the L-cancel everytime you hop and laser? I do sometimes but it's just too many cancels.

xelad1

Smash Ace
I need help pillaring marth is there a way? how? he just so high after I shine him. Plz somebody aswser and is there a way to pillar samus? I got another question for all you falco players, when you guys short hop laser do u guys always do the L-cancel everytime you hop and laser? I do sometimes but it's just too many cancels.
Firstly get your terminology right. Pillaring is a shield pressure tactic the revolves around l cancelling a dair shining rinse and repeat. Some other things thrown into pillaring are double shining (2 JC shines on the ground) waveshining into another shine to chase an opponent who is being pushed away by your pillar. It is used to prevent grabs, break shields (rarely almost never happens against any competent player), break down a shield until a shine hits etc. etc.... It can be grabbed if done improperly, the proper way to pillar is to start with a rising dair, otherwise it is very "grabable" <----(not a word)

Now onto your actual question which revolves around shine combos. First off there is a good section on how to deal with marths in the stickied character matchup guide here in the falco forums, check it out, look at the matches for combo ideas. Marth is actually a great character for falco to combo, though not as good as fastfallers like captain falcon and fox (and falco of course:) ). When you shine marth you need to chase him with a fullhop dair, or aeiral of your choice if you aren't trying to continue the combo.

Samus requires a completely different style of play than most characters because of her absurd floatiness, and up b out of shield. Samus cannot be pillared effectively because she can do an up b interrupting you, at any time she chooses. Samus requires a more defensive strategy for falco revolving highly around lasers (at least this is the way I prefer to play the match). Its good to keep racking up damage with lasers, and look for an opportunity to get samus into the air any time you possibly can, and keep her there! Here is an older video to give you an idea of how to play against a samus, though it presents a very extreme example of one style (specifically mathos' laser spamming) it should give you some ideas about how to go about the match, especially when you have ample room for movement.

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
Here is an older video to give you an idea of how to play against a samus, though it presents a very extreme example of one style (specifically mathos' laser spamming) it should give you some ideas about how to go about the match, especially when you have ample room for movement.
Where's the video?

P.S.: You know, it's kinda funny that this is Shiz's thread on teaching falco, and he hasn't posted like, in a week or something.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Shiz went up to INNsomnia V this weekend where he got 4th. (I heard.) So we will get some videos up soon. I cant confirm cause my mom got pissed at me for something (long story) so I had to leave early.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Hey.I need help with a few things as Ive being using Falco as one of my mains for a few months now.My tech skill is good but some things just still baffle me.Im used to maining Sheik and Marth who are no where near as technical so all this tech stuff is pretty foreign too me.

1)After being hit off the edge I see alot of Falco's slow their momnetum with a shine.How do you shine so quickly after getting hit?

2)I see PC Chris do this thing when he's pillaring where he dairs>shine>waveshine>dair(he does a really short wavedash and shines them from behind instead of the front)How does he get his waveshine so short and shine so quick after?

3)Im pretty good at SHL combos,grabs etc,but I was wondering if there are any well known,high success moves to do during a SHL approach(as in when you close in)I usually use an n air or d air or a grab.These work pretty well but im sure there might be something better/more effective.

Thanks in advance.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
you can adjust waveshine length by adjusting how far you move the joystick horizontally. the further you move it to the horizontal, the further you waveshine.

you do not need to l-cancel shl.

captainlukey

Smash Ace
ive started work on the double\Triple shine thing for falco... this is what ive found so far....
Fox- double shine 0%-48%
- Triple shine 0% (or so not EXACTLY sure)- 48% (only works if you short hop out of the first shine, and then full hop the second one.

Marth- double shine 0%-to about 20%
- Triple shine (must be off a Dthrow, dont ask me why cause i dont know) works best at 0%-10%

ganondorf- Doulbe shine 0%-98%
- triple shine about 15%- about 98%

thats all i got so far... these are not exact indications as they do not count DI... but as far as being able to do it to those characters, those percentiles are pretty correct...
i will continue to work on it and soon hopefully have a complete list for everyone....
please dont take the credit for these finds or the complete product as this is taking me a long time to figure out.... more time than i wanted to dedicate to it so please just leave me to do so and let me have the credit i deserve...

madskillz313

Smash Cadet
i hate the music too lol... but any ways .. my problem is inconsistency... and it seems to happen at the stupidsest times.. i can do really well 1 on one when like no ones around but then like all of a sudden ppl like show up for a smashfest and i look like sum total noob and all my moves are like screwed up and stuff.... any way to calm my nerves or wat ever my prob is?

Ame$

Smash Apprentice
@ xelad 1:

Hm, now im confused.
I've heard the oppostie that you shouldnt do the dair while rising, ive heard you should ff the dair after the peak of the short hop .... hm... :-S

xelad1

Smash Ace
@ xelad 1:

Hm, now im confused.
I've heard the oppostie that you shouldnt do the dair while rising, ive heard you should ff the dair after the peak of the short hop .... hm... :-S
Well if you don't believe me here's a quote from forward in the now closed "forward teaches falco" thread:

"zach: when I pillar, I do the d air as falco is still rising in his short hop (basically starts as soon as he leaves the ground), and at the apex of the jump, ff l cancel into shine. I don't ever recall being shield grabbed if i didn't mess it up, and I don't think i've ever shield grabbed someone when they do it like that either."

I'm not posting that to be a smart@ss, you actually made me second guess myself :laugh: But yeah that's the proper way I learned to do it.

=P.

Smash Apprentice
tips for falco vs samus

im getting rdy to face a supposedly good samus wondering if u have any tips on how to work one over on samus lol i need to win this any tips welcome plus i am a good ssbm player for where i live bu anything to give me the edge would b wonderful thanks much

MasterGary

Smash Ace
im getting rdy to face a supposedly good samus wondering if u have any tips on how to work one over on samus lol i need to win this any tips welcome plus i am a good ssbm player for where i live bu anything to give me the edge would b wonderful thanks much
Don't get hit by her dsmash, but if you realy are a good player, I bet you already knew that. :p

festizzio

Smash Champion
Spam lasers, wait for her to come to you. Don't pillar her shield because of the up+b, if you want to approach a shielding samus, grabbing is your best option.

goblin

Smash Journeyman
does ne1 kno of any video examples of the running reverse shl? im not sure if i'm doing it right cuz the momentum isnt taking me very far most of the time - it takes me at least 6 rshl's to take me across FD. are u supposed to be able to go a lot farther, like with the regular running shl(~4 lasers to cross FD)? if so... ne tips would be appreciated.

festizzio

Smash Champion
What I've found is that most of your momentum is stopped if you fast fall at the wrong time; my advice is to just try rshl without fast falling first, then move on to adding the fast fall after you've gotten it down w/o it.

MasterGary

Smash Ace
does ne1 kno of any video examples of the running reverse shl? im not sure if i'm doing it right cuz the momentum isnt taking me very far most of the time - it takes me at least 6 rshl's to take me across FD. are u supposed to be able to go a lot farther, like with the regular running shl(~4 lasers to cross FD)? if so... ne tips would be appreciated.
Watch some of Shiz's vids. He can do it pretty good.

mr_joey132

Smash Ace
for samus, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtK_sj-ut1M :) take a good look at that match and you can **** any samus.

But, I'm having a problem.. everytime I'm doing an aerial on a shield, I get shieldgrabbed :( even by a noobish friend -_- always, can't stand it >_< I'm probably grabbed before I even landed on the ground >__< I don't get it. If I go in training I can link up Dair with shine, and shffl --> shine without hitting anything or just hitting the enemy links good too.. this sucks, can anyone say what I'm doing wrong?

edit: oh lol, that vid is already given by someone.

Jay Talbayne

Smash Apprentice
for samus, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtK_sj-ut1M :) take a good look at that match and you can **** any samus.

But, I'm having a problem.. everytime I'm doing an aerial on a shield, I get shieldgrabbed :( even by a noobish friend -_- always, can't stand it >_< I'm probably grabbed before I even landed on the ground >__< I don't get it. If I go in training I can link up Dair with shine, and shffl --> shine without hitting anything or just hitting the enemy links good too.. this sucks, can anyone say what I'm doing wrong?
Attack lower on the sheild or land behind them.

Or Do the ariel and instead of doing a shine, go straight into a grab to forward/up/back/down throw into chase.

the_air_up_there7

Smash Ace
Laredo Texas (training mode), offseason :)
Firstly get your terminology right. Pillaring is a shield pressure tactic the revolves around l cancelling a dair shining rinse and repeat. Some other things thrown into pillaring are double shining (2 JC shines on the ground) waveshining into another shine to chase an opponent who is being pushed away by your pillar. It is used to prevent grabs, break shields (rarely almost never happens against any competent player), break down a shield until a shine hits etc. etc.... It can be grabbed if done improperly, the proper way to pillar is to start with a rising dair, otherwise it is very "grabable" <----(not a word)

Now onto your actual question which revolves around shine combos. First off there is a good section on how to deal with marths in the stickied character matchup guide here in the falco forums, check it out, look at the matches for combo ideas. Marth is actually a great character for falco to combo, though not as good as fastfallers like captain falcon and fox (and falco of course:) ). When you shine marth you need to chase him with a fullhop dair, or aeiral of your choice if you aren't trying to continue the combo.

Samus requires a completely different style of play than most characters because of her absurd floatiness, and up b out of shield. Samus cannot be pillared effectively because she can do an up b interrupting you, at any time she chooses. Samus requires a more defensive strategy for falco revolving highly around lasers (at least this is the way I prefer to play the match). Its good to keep racking up damage with lasers, and look for an opportunity to get samus into the air any time you possibly can, and keep her there! Here is an older video to give you an idea of how to play against a samus, though it presents a very extreme example of one style (specifically mathos' laser spamming) it should give you some ideas about how to go about the match, especially when you have ample room for movement.
Thanks!!! :lick:

mr_joey132

Smash Ace
with he is noobish I mean that he doesn't know much things about advanced techniques and doesn't go to tournaments. (I went to 2)
But the problem is that if I Dair / Nair his shield, I seem to get grabbed before I'm even on the ground, so I think it's not L-cancel that is the problem..

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
if you are getting grabbed b/f even hitting the ground you are either dairing too early or you don't ff. don't dair until you've hit the apex of the sh.

edit: if this is happening to you w/the nair and the dair, l-cancelling is probably the issue. the nair stays out, so it doesn't really matter if you do it early as long as you cancel it.

mr_joey132

Smash Ace
hmm, I didn't really pay attention to when I do the Dair in the jump.. I'll try that when I play him again. And is the FF timing different from just an shffl in the air? and the FF is directly after / onmost the same timing as the Dair then?
I'll try some more with Nair to see if it is Lcancelling then, thanks. :)

madskillz313

Smash Cadet
ff happens when you hit down on your analog stick at the peak of your jump and the way i make sure i get the ff dair right is i time my analog and c stick like a smash attack so i hit the c stick just after my analog

Top Bottom