• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who needs help with Combos, Damages, Advanced Tactics for Falco, etc.

lexxil

Smash Apprentice
Hi, how to time the dair of falco.
I've heard peolpe saying that there are special timings for pillaring etc.
Who can i avoid shieldgrabs?

xelad1

Smash Ace
Hi, how to time the dair of falco.
I've heard peolpe saying that there are special timings for pillaring etc.
Who can i avoid shieldgrabs?
lol @ you... this question wasn't just answered in the thread it was freaking answered like 2 POSTS BEFORE YOURS. Spend 5 seconds just to read the thread....

@AxemRanger: I didn't really see your last question answered (the one about avoiding an invincible opponent) so here are just a couple of tips I have. Firstly you basically said you keep getting killed the same way each time... that means you are falling into a pattern so switch things up, try to maintain position in the middle of the stage etc (this is the more obvious response). Some tactics for avoiding a newly respawned opponent:

1. Lightsheild, this protects your whole body and can give you some of the precious time you need to avoid them... eventually they may start to predict this and go for grabs so you may want to try and spot dodge etc (I don't advise spotdodging from the start just because its a nice way to get smashed to your death since overusing the dodge becomes very predictable).

2. Move around!! Dashdance, waveland full hop (platform levels are especially useful for escaping danger). Basically run away, try and confuse your opponent and stay on the defensive. Sometimes rolling like a noob is helpful as well.

3. A riskier move but try and use ledge invincibility to your advantage... this isn't as useful for falco since the only really good kill he has at low percentages at the edge is his dair... but I can't how many times I've managed to get a backthrow to shinespike with fox at the edge when my opponent respawns thusly frustrating him for the rest of the match or resulting in calls of gayness. Even so its still one more option that your opponent might not predict.

4. When all else fails watch videos! For those minute details its always good to get an idea of what the pros do in order to survive those first few crucial seconds and not get killed in order to tack on some damage before the next stock. And don't worry the pros often get killed while trying to fake out their opponent in those crucial moments as well, just don't get predictable which seems to be what is happening here.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
can some one explain to me what fox trotting is?
It's dashing repeatedly in the same direction. At the end of the initial dash animation you can immediately dash again. With some characters the foxtrot is slightly faster than running (Fox) or about the same speed (CF). In any case it allows you to start dash-dancing on the spot, turn around to use a fair, etc.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Not only Fox's is, some other character's are. But I dont think Falco can foxtrot.

captainlukey

Smash Ace
this has probly already been mentioned but i dont wanna go through like 50 plus pages.... so ill just ask.....
shiz wat strategies would you recomend for fighting a really fsmash heavy marth, who loves to spam the counter?
i know most of you guys probly find this easy to deal with... but not me... marths fsmash range is just too long.......
please reply quickly... i have a money match against this marth tonight.....
im gonna lose my 15$ again (ive never won a match against this tactic even though im not too bad with advanced tech, mindgames, etc....)
if anyone has a sure fire solution that works ill buy you a beer lol
oh and id have to say my fav combo (not that it has anything to do with this thread) is shffl nair, shffl nair, shffl dair, shine jc double jump dair.....
any help would be appreciated.......

Kumori

Smash Apprentice
Not only Fox's is, some other character's are. But I dont think Falco can foxtrot.
HE CAN, foxtrotting is short hopping during start up animation, IT ISN'T FASTER THAN HIS RUN, but it's faster than starting to move mid air.

reguer

Smash Rookie
HEY !
i have 4 questions!
1.- ¿How can i train alone in my house? (stage, mode, etc.)
2.- wich way of taking the controller is betteR? (for falcO) with two fingers, or with the fat one?

3.- Can you make a video for shine timing? that'll be greaT!
4.- do i need to tap "X(for the shine cancel)" in a different moment when im hiting an opponent, than when im noT?

Leoneri

Smash Ace
1. Against level 1 computers, practice adv techs and combos
2. Preference
3. A video can't show you timing
4. When a shine hits an opponent you have a little bit more of a wait before you can jump cancel.
5. Dont type in annoying text...

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@captainlukey: All I can suggest is to rely on your shl as much as possible. Full jump and come down with a dair -> If he's stupid, he'll Shield and you can pillar him with the correct timing. Don't forget to fast fall that dair.

If he likes to counter alot, just try to fake him out alot, despite that fsmash range. Take him to FD and Dreamland.

That counter still requires *some* start up time, so if you keep up that shl fire, then that'll stop him. Try SHL approaches and nair/dair through his shield, making sure you land on the other side. Then you could either retreat with a reverse SHL and begin again, or perhaps even dash dance away to a dash attack towards him. I've been doing that ever since I watched 'you got shiz'd on'.

*Back to extension english home work..sigh*

xelad1

Smash Ace
HEY !
i have 4 questions!
1.- ¿How can i train alone in my house? (stage, mode, etc.)
2.- wich way of taking the controller is betteR? (for falcO) with two fingers, or with the fat one?

3.- Can you make a video for shine timing? that'll be greaT!
4.- do i need to tap "X(for the shine cancel)" in a different moment when im hiting an opponent, than when im noT?
holy **** don't be a noob!

Vampirekain

Smash Journeyman
You know Reguer i would really like to pluck a turnip with my Peach but instead of a turnip i want it to be a Bomb-omb...I would gladly FC-stick it in your face...I think everybody now want to do something really bad to your Falco with their mains :p

captainlukey

Smash Ace
look at me i am a noob with huge yellow print.
sigh... now ive seen it all... and thats not a good thing

Giggidax

Smash Ace
this is probably alrdy discussed but i dont feel like looking for the 70 pages of this thread. im really new to falco. when i pillar i dont fast fall. this is probably the main reason why i get shieldgrabbed so eazily. im definitely spose to fast fall when i dair right? i usually jus dair>shine with no fast fall. earlier i was thinking of flaws in my technique that i could point out and this seems to be one of them.

im having trouble fast falling while dairing with the analog stick, i guess the c-stick is the way to go. anyway, not fast falling my pillars is a problem right?

captainlukey

Smash Ace
yeah giggidax, use the c stick, fast falling with the stcik is so much easier, and yeah you will get shieldgrabbed more often if your not fast falling, but i think the thing that really matters here is the L cancel, because from a shorthop the dair will still hit the whole time even if not fast falled, if that makes any sense at all, so yeah work on that with the stick but make sure you are getting your L cancels down... let me phrase this better... your fighting mr x, you short hop and go for the dair if you dont fastfall you need to hit with the last little bit of the move or you will be shield grabbed.... if you fast fall and L cancel you will hit with the opening animation part of the move and because you fast falled and L canceld he will still be suffering shield lag.... and then you can go for the shine
hope this answers your question..
oh yeah and to anyone who is interested i won that money match

captainlukey

Smash Ace
sorry for the double post, but does anyone know the exact damage ratios on specific characters so that you can triple\double shine them....
e,g fox 0%-10% - double shine (ground shine, jc shine)
please help i want to expand my knowledge...
oh screw it ill make one tonite..

saberhof

Smash Master
- is it good to battle mutiple comp's for reflexes and/or speed?

- ive got lots of combos with falco with the speed of all the advanced techs, is there a cool combo that is popular, or does everyone have a style

- and id like that damage ratio list too.

- any other special moves that falco can do besides pillaring?...

captainlukey

Smash Ace
well i find that shffld nairs lead into shffld dairs well....
eg, keep shffl nairing untill he ends up near the ledge, then shffl dair, you will still be on the edge but the angled that you spiked him on sends him completely off the edge to his doom,
but no falcos pillar is obviously his strong point...
but there are other little combos that he does well... but none of them out weigh his pillar, its kinda like fox or the ICs, whole strategies are built around these infinates...
just keep playing, keep trying, you will find his little tricks, like a string of shffld bairs.... into uair...
oh and fighting multi comps at once is just a credit thing... imo anyway, it doesnt do anything for your reflxes or anything like that. but i find that most of the videos ive seen on multiple level 9s or watever just turn into a fsmash fest....
its true... it seems like only noobs attempt stuff lyke that, wich is a shame cause id love to see a falco comboing and pillaring them all simutaniously... but it just doesnt happen....

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
To build up your speed and such. Go into multiman melee. do 100 man fight. it will help you build speed and some other stuff you will have to find out.

MasterGary

Smash Ace
It makes no sense to do those other modes because you can't use the C-stick. And then if you do that too much you might get to used to using the control stick and when a tournament or something comes and you can use the C-stick you might get messed up or something.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Well, if you dont mess up without using the Cstick, then you wont do it during a tournament unless you start trying to use the Cstick. That stands true with anything outside your normal playstyle.

TheHiveMind

Smash Cadet
One of my favorite thing for early damage (best at 0%) is to shb once or twice to stun a guy, and in their sort of flich when they get hit, follow up with a down throw to down tilted a then another down throw to bdown and then air attack of your choice (preferably fair, cuz u can hit most characters three times for big damage). It does around 40 to 49%.

TheHiveMind

Smash Cadet
Another thing I like to do(sometimes after the combo I just mentioned with the additive another 25 or so dmg) is when an opponent is at high percent near an edge, you can dash attack them and spike him with a dair over the edge with c-stick(u sometimes kill your self if you do down + A cuz u make yourself fastfall to your death) for a quick kill. Its really sweet to pull this off early to scare the crap out of em.

Wuss

Smash Champion
shiz, I'm interested in knowing your thoughts on falco's mario/doc matchup. I have a lot of trouble with them. I always seem to be caped (even when I though I sweetspotted), and with the chaingrab and what not. Do you have any strategies/tips against this italian duo...?

Handorin

Smash Hero
One of my favorite thing for early damage (best at 0%) is to shb once or twice to stun a guy, and in their sort of flich when they get hit, follow up with a down throw to down tilted a then another down throw to bdown and then air attack of your choice (preferably fair, cuz u can hit most characters three times for big damage). It does around 40 to 49%.
Dthrow to Dtilt/smash is what I do sometimes to get them in the air (or away). Might be better things, but meh. Dthrow to shine doesnt work unless your opponent doesnt DI or tech at all, so I wouls try and break the habit.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
dthrows rarely work against good players. they always tech out. even i rarely get caught by it. i prefer uthrows and bthrows.

Falco X

Smash Rookie
Whats the best way to wavedash with Falco? I've actually been using the control stick to wavedash,but IMO it was a little difficult. SHould I use X or Y and L or R?

lexxil

Smash Apprentice
Afaik jumping with Y and sheilding with L is the best thing u can do..
L is good because your right hand has more flexibility, and Y is good becaus its closer to the B Buttone than the X button...

saberhof

Smash Master
well ive mastered the skill of intercepting(meteor smashing?) with the side b of falco, is this a good move? or should i not be doing this, cause i think it looks pretty awsome.

beej

Smash Rookie
yah i recently played falco in a tournament and i was counterpicked w/ doc D:

i found the full jump pills to b troublesome as well as the CG, usually ending with dthrow fsmash. if u know ur going to get hit by a move like docs fsmash do u doublestick DI?

xelad1

Smash Ace
yah i recently played falco in a tournament and i was counterpicked w/ doc D:

i found the full jump pills to b troublesome as well as the CG, usually ending with dthrow fsmash. if u know ur going to get hit by a move like docs fsmash do u doublestick DI?
I think the reason a lot of falcos have a problem with doc is because they don't know how to transition their playstyle to suit the character. Doc requires a more defensive game, his pills are good but no where near as effective as your laser. Doc requires a more defensive game, his recovery is pretty recoverable too. Just remember that he doesn't combo like other characters, also Nair eats pills for breakfast. Just DI like normal.

Also the best/worst advice of all time, don't get grabbed. Seriously, falco should not be an easy character to grab for doc if you play him right, using lots of lasers and making sure to use your shines properly. Characters like Doc and peach require falco to switch up his game making them seemingly hard at first, but once you understand the matchups and know how to properly laser them, get a hit in here and there then its really not that bad.

watch this vid of forward vs. s-royal http://youtube.com/watch?v=MIj9_2ai7Z8 note how forward uses jabs and tilts as well as good dashdancing and mindgames to stay away from grabs as much as possible. Also note his use of nairs and fullhops to deal with pills.

Also I believe that falco greatly has the advantage over doc when you move to platformed stages, he just has so many more options in terms of combos and mobility than doc does+ chainthrowing becomes much harder for doc essentially ruining a big advantage he has over falco. http://youtube.com/watch?v=m8HP3PxJ_nU&mode=related&search= observe how godly forward is at moving around platforms.

And as always if you are having trouble with any matchup see how the pros approach certain characters, what strategies they use, what style of play they switch to, what stages work better for them. You don't necessarily have to play on final destination all the time. Oh yeah and don't forget about the stickied character matchup guide in the forums here.

beej

Smash Rookie
ah thanks alot xelad1, yah definately need to make better use of tilts (ftilt especially), jabs too

i havnt quite got the hang of moving about platform lvls smoothly, forwards too good w/ platforms. i definately need to work on that part of my game

ur advice definately will help me improve

Top Bottom