• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who needs help with Combos, Damages, Advanced Tactics for Falco, etc.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
you can still get grabbed if you l-cancel, try it.

shuffling dairs is risky unless you do it right. you have to shuffle and hit low in their shield or just dont do crap dairs.

Mr C (falco god): "dont do crap dairs LOL"

a crap dair is where you dair as soon as you leave the ground. the only way to shuffle a dair without getting grabbed is to dair after the fastfall. try it, youll see how much quicker it is. then l-cancel and shine/jab right away.

you can also avoid this whole problem by shuffling nairs. nairs are safer in general so just do those. dont try dairs unless you are comfortable doing them right. nairs are safer all around, i dont really shuffle dairs anymore ever since i learned this except to pillar

Handorin

Smash Hero
The only thing I find difficult with Nair is the FFing, haha. I just do them enough, I guess, to get good with them.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
really? ive always found nairs easier to shuffle. i just did dairs because everyone else did so i thought they were better for some reason. but now i just nair everywhere and i never get grabbed out of a shuffle.

Miharu

Smash Hero
...jerk...
Haha, don't worry about it, it's just that most noobs just make new topics asking questions that could very easily be answered by guides. Just use the search function first next time :p

I agree with invertigo, airs have always been harder to SHFFL for me, as opposed to nairs.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
recently too many people have been watching vids of DaShizWiz and thus assume that you can't be shieldgrabbed out of a dair. i prefer using the dair to start my shine combos, but i throw nair in to mix up my approaches.

@gary: heh, yeah i've heard of it.

MasterGary

Smash Ace
recently too many people have been watching vids of DaShizWiz and thus assume that you can't be shieldgrabbed out of a dair. i prefer using the dair to start my shine combos, but i throw nair in to mix up my approaches.

@gary: heh, yeah i've heard of it.
when i dair i try to get behind the person because from wha i know u cant turn around in a shield to sheild grab them.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
if you are behind them and they sh out of their shield you should just utilt. i still think it's better to just dair right after you fastfall.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
cant always utilt in time if the enemy is quick. for example if marth sh dairs you out of shield.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
I havn't checked all of the posts yet guys, but my computer died yesterday and I had to buy another one. I hadn't been in town since last Wednesday, sorry for the delay guys. I'll start browsing the last couple of pages. Guys if I'm not here be sure to try to help plz(Sorry if you did help, I havn't checked yet), or just ask a question on Forwards thread. His Falco is pretty amazing.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
that's a fair point, but Marth is probably the only character w/enough range to make that a problem. Even so, if you landed behind him deliberately, you could do it.

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
Hey DaShizWiz, I know you got a very good falco, so I wanted to ask you something.
I made my own Falco combo video 3 months ago, but I'm not so sure about my weak points, so I was thinking that maybe you could check it out, and tell me what I need to improve. That would mean a lot to me, especially coming from a pro such as yourself.
If anybody else cares, they might check out my video too and tell me what you think.
P.S.: The link to the video is in my sig.

xelad1

Smash Ace
So shiz a couple of questions... first how do you utilize platforms well especially on a stage like fountain of dreams where the platforms are always shifting I always seem to get tripped up by them... is there a faster way to get down from platforms other than just fastfalling through them or running off the edge and fastfalling?

Also how do you practice multishine pillaring if you don't have a human player around to try it out on? Should I just practice doing as many as I can and then practice against a lvl 1 with stars on or something?

KeepSpeedN

Smash Ace
Well I can't seem to log out of this name and go on my name so I'll answer you with my brothers thing.

Well, on platforms its mainly about the timing. You should practice falling through the platform with a Dair or Nair or Bair. You should use all 3. Practice getting it so you can do it really fast, FOD can be a good level to use this move as you can see in Forward and my combo video. Its all about the practice. You have to keep practice it untill the timing almost gets so easy you do it by accident, lol. Just keep doing Dairs through platforms while falling through. Like do a double dair. Like one on the platform, and to keep the combos going do another one.

Multishine pillaring, you should play against a level 1 computer on a level like FD where you won't get bothered by anything and just keep trying to double shine every time after you hit him with a Dair. This is another one of those things that takes a lot of practice and its all about the timing. Just get the timing right from practicing this, and it'll come.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
it is two shines in a row. you do it by shining, jump cancelling the shine and shining again. if done correctly you can do this w/o leaving the ground.

edit:
1)shine
2)jump
3)shine

theoretically you could do this infinitely if your fingers were fast enough. you have to do the second shine immediately after you jump or you will leave the ground.

MasterGary

Smash Ace
it is two shines in a row. you do it by shining, jump cancelling the shine and shining again. if done correctly you can do this w/o leaving the ground.

edit:
1)shine
2)jump
3)shine

theoretically you could do this infinitely if your fingers were fast enough. you have to do the second shine immediately after you jump or you will leave the ground.
Aparently shiz's fingers are fast enough as seen in hs vid.

Lokii

Smash Cadet
Hey shiz, i needed a little help w/ jc shines =D

specifically, the timing on them when you do it against a shield...i know that the timing on the l-cancel of just the dair against a shield is different than what it would be otherwise...and i noticed the same thing w/ jc shines. like i can do them when i'm not jc shining anybody, but when i try to do it against a shield, the timing gets messed up..

do i need to jc shine faster or slower against a shield?

opiumfish13

Smash Rookie
I have a number of ?s, but I shall ask them 1 @ a time (since I scared away Forward w/ my short essay in the other thread).

1) Mr. ShizWhiz, is it true that you have to Dair after the FF to make your pillar ungrabble? I’ve noticed sometimes against characters with large shields, I can get grabbed out of my SHUFFLD aerial in mid attack (my friend's m2).

AxemRanger

Smash Rookie
A couple questions:

First, Fountain of Dreams. From what I remember this used to be considered a "bad" Falco stage due to the moving platforms blocking the lasers and such. But in the last few days I've seen several people say it's one of Falco's best? Why the change? I don't really like the stage myself, and I'm curious.

---

Many of my SHFFLs get grabbed , and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. At a fairly high level of play, is it possible to pretty much stop the shield grab (like 90+ % of the time) altogether? What are the esential steps to stop the grab? I'm guessing you can't go without the FF and L cancel. Is there a certain time you should be starting the attack? A region of the oponent's shield you should be aiming for? Is some kind of waveshine NEEDED? Any help would be great.

---

Reverse SHLs. I can do ONE very well, and often use it to start a string of SHLs. Facing left, RSHL (shoot right), continue SHLing to the right, etc. But is it possible to move continuously backwards firing the laser? I think I've seen this done in videos before, and I'm just wondering about the steps involved and the relative difficulty. Is it worth it to learn? Also, is it possible to RSHL into a ledge grab? I was fooling around with this today without much luck. I'd either not fall out over the edge or fall and be unable to grab because of the blaster animation. Help?

---

I've been working on returning from a ledge with a laser. I press down from the ledge to fall, press up on the stick to jump, (return the stick to neutral), press B, and then kind of DI myself over to the stage. I think this is how it's done, but my laser is either usually slightly over the head of the opponent or I end up turning around and shooting into the void (although still landing on the stage). How should I modify this to actually hit the guy? And I know this has been asked a lot, but what are the steps to shoot two lasers in the same situation?

---

I mostly play another Falco, and a lot of the kills he gets are soon after his respawn when he's invincible. Hits me with a Bair trying to jump away from him, keeps jab kicking me eventually out over the ledge and then Dair spikes me on the recovery, etc. I feel really stupid getting killed like this, and I know I can do better, but I don't know what to do. In contrast I rarely kill him like this. He often jumps and then air dodges my attack, goes up and Firefoxes (although I do often hit him here), etc. What are your general "The opponent just respawned" tips? If I could cut down on these 'stupid' KOs it'd do a lot for my game.

---

Thanks. And I'll take answers and advice from anyone who knows.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
I'll answer you guys questions when I get home. Currently I'm at school :chuckle:.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
SHiz, Simple question. Finger Dexterity. I notice Fox/Falco players normally have a greater Mind/Eye/Finger Psynch than other plays based on their chars moves being able to link so fluidly, now, are you able to apply what you did for falco to any other chars, such as link or Roy without your fingers having to slow down much?

JHoLLa

Smash Journeyman
just wondering what people use to JC shines. everyone JCs so fast. the only way i can do it that fast is if i use up instead of Y. is everyone using up or am i just slow hitting Y.

AxemRanger

Smash Rookie
You probably just need more practice. Basic jump cancels get easy with Y, and even double shines and such are do-able with a bit more practice.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
to opium and axem: if you are getting shield grabbed, (assuming that you are l-cancelling) you are probably starting your dair too early. wait until you fastfall.

15 consecutive shines is ridiculous. i can barely do 4 or 5.

opiumfish13

Smash Rookie
For JC shines, I find it easier just to press Up instead of X and Y when the opponent is sent high into the air. For spaceanimals, I tap X since they stay near my SHUFFLs.

Still I am curious as to if Shiz uses Y or Up to cancel....

I actually tap or press all my buttons, and I realized today for the multishines, the only way to get the timing down is to hold down and alternate sliding (not tapping) off of B to Y (corner) etc.

Can you use the X button to do this?? I can't seem to do it.. Soo hard...

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
So the best method of multishining is with the control stick?
Also, I've seen that in shiz's video, he does the shuffled dair followed by 2 shines, then jump cancel and repeat (kinda like a "double shine pillaring").
I can barely do the normal pillaring myself...

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
you should be able to do it the same way you jc a single shine. i wouldn't worry too much about being able to chain 5 or 6. anyone who is a halfway decent player won't let you break their shield. it looks pretty sweet though.

xelad1

Smash Ace
So the best method of multishining is with the control stick?
Also, I've seen that in shiz's video, he does the shuffled dair followed by 2 shines, then jump cancel and repeat (kinda like a "double shine pillaring").
I can barely do the normal pillaring myself...
I think opiumfish was saying the best way to do a normal JC shine (like just jumping out) is using the control stick immediately after for a full jump or whatever (like if you want to shine fox twice in the air or something, or do a shine and immediately follow up with a bair if they don't DI away). For "multishining" which i guess is the coined term now for doing multiple shines on the ground sliding your thumb from x or y to b is the best/ fastest way. I personally use Y for mostly everything 80% of the time and the control stick occasionally for doing a quick shine into aerial.

Top Bottom