• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is Your New Main?

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
There is no real way to answer this without actually getting my hands on the game and trying it out; characters that I’ve liked previously may no longer be fun to play as, and a character I didn’t think much of may be way more fun.

I will have to try characters like R.O.B. (burying Dthrow tho) and Kirby, maybe I’ll seriously try Pokémon Trainer now that they work properly, but yeah, no way to know until I try them.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Honestly not sure, but I'm bad at picking mains anyway. Ridley looks exactly like the kind of character I want to play as, but I'm also really interested in Inklings, and I loved Pokemon Trainer and Snake in Brawl. Usually played Mewtwo and Bayonetta in Smash 4, but I generally gravitate to whatever the new options are so I don't know that I'll be sticking with them.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
My boy Ganondorf is back and so am I, expect another Ganonface under my avatar picture at the end of the year.

Also, the Ice Climbers.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
There's just no way that I ain't maining Ridley after such a long wait, finally my favorite Nintendo character is in.

RustyRemains

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1666-4551-3124
Depending on how she plays and how she compares to my other possible mains in Ultimate it might be Daisy

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Surpriaingly, Link.

I've been an Ike main for 10 years and I'm sick of lacking my signature sword beams.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Still going to be repping Marth/Ike as I have in Smash 4. Spent too much time on these two to drop them. Seems like both got buffed too!

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
I'm still going to go with Mewtwo as my main, with Yoshi and Ridley on the side. I have to get my hands on the game to find out for sure as to who I'm going to pick.

Last edited:

Tedlett

Smash Rookie
NNID
xRaindrop
Mewtwo is looking very clean, but I might go back to the climbers if they're good enough. I also want to experiment with snake

Keeshu

Smash Ace
It's like I need to make a tier list on who is most likely to become my main or something. A large draw to smash is that there's so many characters that I love to play (and fight).

The likeliest of the 3 newcomers and returning vets would be the following:
A Tier: Ridley - A lot of the reasons why I love Meta Knight can be applied to Ridley. Recurring rival to the protagonist, they are both intelligent enough to lead an space army, both are the fastest of the bosses in their games and can overwhelm you with their speed, they both have bat/dragon wings which is a big plus for me. Of course, while he is not "too big", he's not going to be small. And usually characters are big are going to be slow, which is the biggest concern I have about Ridley. I'm not even concerned about being combo food cause of using Meta Knight and Samus a lot. Though I am really liking the tail spike impale move. 50% is nothing to sneeze at even if it can be hard to land. I like having a reason for the opponent to be intimidated. Hopefully that will be enough to rival Samus's fully charged charge shot in terms of intimidation.

A Tier: Wolf - I loved his gameplay so much in Brawl, but didn't really have a good chance to practice it against anyone. I don't love the character as much as I used to though, but only because I only have one star fox game and I haven't played it in a while.

B Tier: Inkling - I got a group of friends that play a ton of inkling so I'll have to get used to it. Though from what I've seen they look like they have a fun moveset.

As for characters already in smash 4. Just saying these are the ones I'd be interested in trying again. After all, changes are bound to happen to characters and change up how they are. Could even make a new playstyle that way. S tier requires a character to be one I love a ton, and to have fun and interesting gameplay to me. A tier just requires good gameplay and liking the character at least a little bit. B tier is usually one or the other. Anything bellow B tier is probably someone I'd never use in a competitive setting (but I may still use a lot for playing for fun, Like Little Mac or Ganondorf for example).
S tier: Meta Knight, Lucario
A tier: Sheik, Cloud, Marth, Samus, All 3 Links for different reasons, Mii Fighters (Let me play online this time please!)
B tier: Fox, Falco, Robin, Captain Falcon, Shulk, Ryu, Snake, Corrin, Zero Suit Samus
C or lower not worth mentioning.

Safe to say it's pretty hard to choose a main.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't know. I don't play competitively though so I usually just play whatever.

Though I do have characters I gravitate towards: Shulk, Bayonetta, Jigglypuff, Villager, Robin, Mewtwo, Peach

So I'll probably play with those characters the most often. (maybe Inklings and Ridley but I'd have to get my hands on the game first)

Last edited:

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
My mains change with each game, and whomever I say I want to main never seems to go with who I actually main.

That being said, Ridley is looking fun as hell to play as.

WeXzuZ

Smash Apprentice
WOLF! Hopefully with a better crowd-cheer...
Other than him I will use Ridley, DDD, possibly Marth

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't play competitively but I want to play with Zelda more this time, she looks great.
After her, Ness, Mewtwo, Palutena as my usual played characters.
And I might pick up Ivysaur and Dr. Mario this time.

Zeep

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZeepZeep
Sticking with Robin probably! I loved Ivysaur in Brawl so I might use him too, since he can be used without fatigue now!

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Well the game isn't out yet so no one.

But I can't wait to play Wolf again, and Ganondorf looks great using that sword finally!

And Squirtle, very glad I won't be punished for only wanting to use him now.

I want to see what the changes are to Mario, Diddy and Pacman ofc.

Last edited:

hermes

Smash Apprentice
I have to narrow down to 2 of these: ike corrin(male) peach bayonetta snake wii fit trainer(male) wolf

Last edited:

NEXandGBX

Smash Rookie
NNID
X-Bros
3DS FC
4399-0520-1281
Switch FC
SW-7575-1931-1021
Kirby's been described as his "usual puffy self", so as someone who liked to use him in Smash 4 that's a good sign I'll like to use him here. Even if that does mean he'll probably be bad competitively again. Sigh.

Peach also looks similar to before, except for Toad being involved in her grab (might be aesthetic for all we know) and a new Dtilt (acts similar to before but might be faster and have better range, that's really great). Given the nature of Echo characters, I could probably jump into Daisy just fine, maybe even prefer her depending on what properties of her attacks are different.

Pikachu can't seem to ledge cancel Quick Attack anymore, but that's not what drives me to like using Pikachu (well not that I was any good at ledge cancelling in the first place). His/her (depending on the alt) new Nair and Dair sound super snazzy, and I've gotta love that Libre alt.

I'm really digging Inkling as someone who's familiar with the Splatoon games. Using ink effectively looks like it can deal massive damage and limit the opponent's movement options. Also looks fun for doubles.

Not going to go in-depth for the sake of saving on space, but some other characters I'm considering are:
Pokemon Trainer (using all three), Ice Climbers, Ness, Lucas, Dr. Mario, maybe Pichu because he's cute and I'm curious how he'll stack up this time seeing how he was pretty much a joke character beforehand, and some other characters I liked using in Smash 4 that I don't feel like listing.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I didn't have anyone that I truly connected to in smash 4 that I felt comfortable enough to call my main. I hope this changes for me in Ultimate because I don't want to keep being a jack of all trades and master of none 2 generations in a row. I'm thinking I'll pick up snake again.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
If they de-nerf Ike and give him back his moves from Brawl along with his looks from Brawl, i'd probably main him. Ike in Brawl is my favorite smash fighter of all time.

mikey661

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mikey661
3DS FC
5429-8052-2152
Looking forward to sitting down and trying every character out, so it could change, but some notable first choices of mine are definitely young link, mewtwo, falco, and wolf.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Probably Palutena as I mained her the most in SSB4. I really hope the changes we have seen, and possibly changes she might recieve from now to release, will make her somewhat of a decent pick.

Otherwise Ganondorf looks glorious. Ike will be revisited and Zelda will get an attempt.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Pokemon Trainer, it sucked losing him in sm4sh and seeing the lack of fan demand for him back. However knowing that he is coming back without his prior shortcomings....its a refreshing feeling. Sonic, Ike, Shulk and Peach will still remain as alternate picks.

hermes

Smash Apprentice
If they de-nerf Ike and give him back his moves from Brawl along with his looks from Brawl, i'd probably main him. Ike in Brawl is my favorite smash fighter of all time.
I dont know what nerf though. He is significantly faster. Fair is just as strong big and has autocancel frame. Lower startups landing lags. His grab became dangerous. 3 tilts now serve much different purposes which is great. Eruption and quickdraw are much better. Jab is worse but old jab was a spam. More comboes thanks to more hitstun to ikes attacks. Rage contributes to kill power and ike is very heavy. Blue flames. Hot as hell. Other characters got buffed so maybe thats why you felt ike was nerfed :/

Last edited:

red hot roy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5473-0450-7276
it seems snake will be good so i know for sure im going to have him as a character, maybe a main or at least a secondary. if i like how trainer plays in this game then its likely i will use him/her as a backup, and then probably going lucina early on as a safe option as that was my primary character in 4 (just prefer how she felt compared to marth imo). other characters interested in how mewtwo will play, and then if zelda is good for once then imma give her a try.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
I'm probably gonna stick with Mewtwo. However all of my secondary characters (Pac-man, Shulk, Palutena) have been buffed so I might play them more.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
There are so many possibilities that it's way too early to begin narrowing it down beyond obvious things (e.g. I won't likely play Daisy because I prefer Peach). This said, the most exciting ones so far are:

1) ROB (Old main with a sick new throw)
2) Ridley
3) Bowser
4) Wario
5) Ganon

And I'll also be keeping a close eye on:

6) Ice Climbers (Used to main, but if Nana can't respond whilst Popo is grabbed I'm not sure I really want to play them)
7) Pokemon Trainer (I'm a big fan of Charizard and not hugely ingratiated with the other two)

And I'll probably at least try the other newcomers.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Ganon looks amazing but my guy Wolf is back, so that's not very easy to answer.

Top Bottom