• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is the best-crafted character?

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Mister Game and Watch. Ok, I have never played his game, but he's a well modeled character. His animations are funny and random, as are his attacks, which give trueness to character, and an unstoppable B-air reach. He likes to play octopus with the ledge, which is so true into character.

Mister Game and Watch may seem bland because of his color, but he's 2-D. He is a respectworthy character. I feel awesome when using him.

He also has a big nose like Mario, and every attack he uses is a prop.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Mister Game and Watch. Ok, I have never played his game, but he's a well modeled character. His animations are funny and random, as are his attacks, which give trueness to character, and an unstoppable B-air reach. He likes to play octopus with the ledge, which is so true into character.

Mister Game and Watch may seem bland because of his color, but he's 2-D. He is a respectworthy character. I feel awesome when using him.

He also has a big nose like Mario, and every attack he uses is a prop.
That last sentence is what Brawl is all about - that's how I feel when playing Olimar :)

Rayquaza07

Smash Ace
mk or dk for me their movesets just seem like they would actually have that out of a game or something

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
[loh-kay-shuhn] n. The act or process of locating
Nah, Olimar of Brawl is a far cry from Olimar of the Pikmin games; for one thing he never directly attacks enemies in his games, and for another he never uses the pikmin as battering objects either
He can most definitely attack without Pikmin in the games. He does the same thing as his Pikmin-less A combo in Brawl.

I actually think the nature of Olimar's moveset -- namely, that he is next to useless without Pikmin -- is pretty true to his games. Sakurai did a good job translating that idea to a fighting game. He isn't very balanced in matchups, though.

In fact, I don't like that fourth bullet point in the OP at all. It basically restricts this topic to higher-tier characters which I'm not sure is what the OP was going for.

I have to agree with Katapultar about Mr. Game & Watch. Pretty much every move he has was inspired by one of his games (and he has the jerky, frame-by-frame animation of his series, plus no actual voice- only beeping sounds), he has some decent strategies to use in a fight, and he has literally the most nostalgic charisma in the entire roster, since Nintendo invented him first before anyone else.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Oh yea, good point. Well then G&W in that case :) Mario seems alright except I don't remember his tornado or his jump punch from anywhere
I'd like to point out that I said G&W before either of you did :p Plus Olimar still doesn't use his pikmin as battering objects in his games ^_^ You do have a good point about the no pikmin = pretty much helpless

Ukemi

Smash Apprentice
In fact, I don't like that fourth bullet point in the OP at all. It basically restricts this topic to higher-tier characters which I'm not sure is what the OP was going for.
I think you mean my third bullet point. I've crossed it out. After thinking about it for a while, I think that the bullet point didn't isolate the character well enough; it made the character's worth dependent on other characters'.

lucwario

Smash Rookie
Personally, I'd say Wario. His crude nature in his games is reflected in his abilites. The aggressiveness of his close combat abilities, the crudeness of his Wario Waft, and his classic motorcycle sync perfectly.

JOE!

Smash Hero
when does wario ever display amazing air control?

also, when does he randomly bite people/spin upwards rapidly?

JOE!

Smash Hero
In concept he is, but when does he ever physically smack enemies with pikmin in his games?

Psycho Meta Knight

Smash Apprentice
Link, most definitely Link. He has exquisite detail, his cloths, facial features, etc. And his moves are the same as in the game. Of course, it seems they are using the same models from Twilight Princess, so the credit really goes to them.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
I'd say Link if he wasn't so poorly balanced; he's got more interesting moves than most other characters do, and some of the most fun projectile shenanigans in the entire game. It's too bad about his awful recovery.

Mario is pretty generic, but his playstyle (such as it is) works out pretty well and makes him good for newcomers and still has tricks for masters to use.

highfive

Smash Lord
Well crafted as in model design and texture- Wario. Definitely. The guy has actual sweat stains on his shirt in his textures.

Well crafted as in moveset- I'd say Bowser or Snake. Bowser in the sense that his moves are awfully fluid like even for a video game character and Snake because of the realistic actions he has for all his moves.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Yeah Link and Olimar are both terrific in terms of attack relevance and characteristics. I think that Zelda's design and attacks are both elegant and fabulous, and Kirby is also quite accurate to the the games.

Link probably fits the most criteria, as he's pretty much the only character that derives all of his specials from his LoZ series and the sword strikes and voicing match his personailty. Also, he's like the only character who actually grabs items/enemies in his origin game (with a Long/Switch-Hook), where everyone else pretty much has random grabs so that they can **** pummel the enemy randomly. Plus, Link's a veteran! :)

Rikter

Smash Cadet
Fox has an amazing expression in that pic.

I'd have to say that Mr. Game and Watch is possibly the most well designed due to the fact most if not all of his attacks correlate to one of the Game and Watch games.

Ike seems fairly close but his speed isn't as close to what it was in the Fire Emblem game his
design is based on. Also he weilds Ragnell despite never having it before promotion. Aether is also considerably different in motion and in Function and Eruption is just kinda made up on the spot.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Link is excluded from being "well-crafted" because he's been horribly underpowered in every. Smash. Game.

Captain Falcon wins for his amazing moveset with literally no inspiration from the games. Even his moveset in Smash64 was amazing.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
[a picture]
****ing yes.

The only character who has perfect design is

Mr.

Game & Watch

Fellows from MYM would find that predictable coming from me.

Psycho Meta Knight said:
And his moves are the same as in the game.
But they're not; and where they differ from TP is mostly where the crap in his moveset starts.

His ftilt. Impractical for freaking everything. Why make a huge vertical chop if it's weak on hit or guard, and can't catch things above or behind you in realistic situations?

The only good one is Fsmash.

For moves that are on point: Jab. If it didn't have dead spots, it'd be darn fine, especially with jab cancels. You know how it could have been better? Yup, attacking four times.

How does Link beat foes in LoZ? With lots of jumps, rolls, and super priority. In this game he's mauled by boxers, outprioritized by career swordsmen, and ***** by anyone with a gun. <_<

gcubedude

Smash Apprentice
I think G&W has the best crafted moveset because every single move he has uses something from his games.

Other than him, I'd say Mario because so many of his moves are either taken straight from his games, or very believable considering Mario's character.

Oh yea, good point. Well then G&W in that case :) Mario seems alright except I don't remember his tornado or his jump punch from anywhere
IIRC, his tornado was from Super Mario World, where he had a spin jump that could destroy blocks from above (he also had something similar in Super Mario Land 2, but idk which game came first.) His Super Jump Punch is just his regular jump from the original Super Mario Bros. If you look closely, he holds a hand up when he jumps, so it's like he's punching upward everytime he jumps.

Raqib

Smash Cadet
Mario is well-designed but not accurately-designed
Canon to his own games, he wouldn't be able to use fireballs, or his cape; without a Fireflower or a Feather; and as far back as I can remember, you could only have one of them at a time.

That said, Kirby also wouldn't be able to use a lot of his abilities, since he can only have one ability at a time. But there is a, "Smash" ability that gives him his Smash Bros. moveset, I think in Kirby and the Amazing Mirror?

Link's moveset is overall accurate. Sure, a lot of the animations aren't necessarily used in Zelda games (you can't exactly have jumping attacks in a game you can't jump in), but you can't exactly have a fake sword swing. I think the only questionable ability is the Triforce Slash.

Link is excluded from being "well-crafted" because he's been horribly underpowered in every. Smash. Game.

Captain Falcon wins for his amazing moveset with literally no inspiration from the games. Even his moveset in Smash64 was amazing.
I don't think you could call him underpowered, he wasn't really that strong to begin with; and he's so much quicker in Smash Bros than he would be in any Zelda game lol, if anything, it's accurate exaggeration.

Captain Falcon wins for everything.

Top Bottom