• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Who Is Diego Umejuarez? - Ryu Q&A Thread

Ninjaman1350

Smash Rookie
Hello!
I've been away from my WiiU for the past 9 or so months while I was in college. As I just came home, I've pretty much had to relearn a main. So I've decided to main (you guessed it) Ryu!
Now I was a C.Falc main a year ago with Lucina as a secondary. And I've been struggling making a traction from C.Falc (an aerial fighter) to Ryu.
My question is: Is there a correct/optimal way to play as Ryu? Is he an aerial fighter, or more grounded? And are there any tips for the Corrin matchup?
Thanks! Stay classy.

earla

Smash Lord
how effective is focus attack to get out of bayo combos?

what DI do you generally use for ryu to escape bayo combos?

Megamang

Smash Lord
Its ok, but if they are true combos you aren't getting out.

There was a GIF/Oddshot floating around of Tyroy, Dabuz, and ESAM figuring out how to avoid the ladder to heaven. I'd suggest you wait a little to know what may be optimal.

As of right now, I SDI towards her and in when I have low damage, away and down at high damage, and always away and down for divekicks. But the new idea seems to be enough SDI up can let you avoid the final uair finisher. This may be difficult for Ryu, as he is huge and rather heavy.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Hi can anyone explain how and when kill confirming utilt/dtilt to TSRK works? I feel like kill confirming it is unreactable for me. Can I react in time to do the TSRK?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Utilt you can do one and just react.

Dtilt you will need at least 2.

So if dtilt with just one hit alludes you, don't sweat it. It's not you.

Zakhara

Smash Rookie
When should I use Hadouken rather than shakunetsu hadouken?
Apologies for the tardiness, but maybe I can be of service.

Shakunetsu translated into the SSB system strangely. It's basically like ST (in that there's no restriction on its use), but it's likely dealing more damage. Much like ST, the only thing holding it back is the input--except here, you have to turn around if you're not doing it from the air. Sometimes a faster input is just that.

Is it true that SSB has stricter priorities on projectile interaction? If Shakunetsu has different durability or hitboxes from a standard Hadouken, that'd be reason to consider one over another too.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Any way to garantuee mid-level specials, other than holding the buttons for the precise time?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Instantly. Soon as jab hits you need to cancel. Its about a 2 frame window.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
What is the timing for neutral jab 1 to True Tatsu/True Shoryuken?
Like Emblem Lord said.

Also, additional info: You can start the TS input even before the jab has actually connected.
It may not sound as much of a helpful advice at first glance, but the mindset of doing it it this way helps a lot.
You'll buffer a TS easy as pie.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Also to answer your question before about medium specials. There really is no special method besides just knowing the timing and grinding it out.

ForetoldWaffle

Smash Rookie
I have a question about the third method of True Shoryuken as seen in MSC's Ryu video. What is the timing for that method; I'm having trouble doing it and I really need to know this method.

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
Apologies for the tardiness, but maybe I can be of service.

Shakunetsu translated into the SSB system strangely. It's basically like ST (in that there's no restriction on its use), but it's likely dealing more damage. Much like ST, the only thing holding it back is the input--except here, you have to turn around if you're not doing it from the air. Sometimes a faster input is just that.

Is it true that SSB has stricter priorities on projectile interaction? If Shakunetsu has different durability or hitboxes from a standard Hadouken, that'd be reason to consider one over another too.
At max range Hadoken deals more damage than Shaku. Shaku only does 1 percent at max range, Hadoken still deals full damage. So at max range Hadoken is probably better.

How do you input standing True Shoryuken?
I'd like to know as well if there's a way to do this instantly while standing. So no crouching, walking or dashing first. AFAIK this is impossible unless you buffer it out of a previous action.

I have a few questions myself:

1. How reliable is ledge trump bair for Ryu? Is it true or can they air dodge out? Either way it seems like a solid mixup to me if they aren't buffering ledge options as it kills fairly early.

2. I've noticed soft hit nair at higher percents starts popping the opponent up instead of just sliding them across stage. Is this also effected by rage? If Ryu has more rage, will it start popping them up earlier?

3. How safe is nair in general on block? Can they attack before you down tilt if they don't powershield?

4. How much advantage does focus attack on block grant if any? Would focus on block, dash forward, downtilt be a true blockstring if timed properly?

5. What purpose does Ryu's jab serve? It seems downtilt and up tilt are better in every way. I know jab 1 - SRK works but it also works with downtilt which is safer to throw out (as it chains into more downtilts) and also hit confirmable (with 2 downtilts).

6. How much shield damage does hard uptilt - TSRK do? I think it might a great setup versus even a slightly used shield as you can buffer the TSRK within the hard up tilt (option select), and then it will only come out if you actually land it.

7. Does hard regular (non-true) SRK have startup invincibility? Or only TSRK?

Last edited:

Zakhara

Smash Rookie
At max range Hadoken deals more damage than Shaku. Shaku only does 1 percent at max range, Hadoken still deals full damage. So at max range Hadoken is probably better.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. It doesn't do that in SF.

I'd like to know as well if there's a way to do this instantly while standing. So no crouching, walking or dashing first. AFAIK this is impossible unless you buffer it out of a previous action.
TL;DR do it faster. Done efficiently, you'll enter 623A fast enough that Ryu barely starts crouching as you input 3+A. Same way as in SF. Much like in SF, however, there are certain benefits to a DP from crouch.

How much advantage does focus attack on block grant if any? Would focus on block, dash forward, downtilt be a true blockstring if timed properly?
In SFIV it's dependent on the charge (and the speed of a character's FADC). Smash Bros. isn't so favourable when it comes to advantage, so I can't really say.

What purpose does Ryu's jab serve? It seems downtilt and up tilt are better in every way. I know jab 1 - SRK works but it also works with downtilt which is safer to throw out (as it chains into more downtilts) and also hit confirmable (with 2 downtilts).
Jabs are suitable for low-angle anti-airs from a modest distance--not unlike how King of Fighters uses them. Not the common usage, but it's there.

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
Ah, thanks for the clarification. It doesn't do that in SF.

TL;DR do it faster. Done efficiently, you'll enter 623A fast enough that Ryu barely starts crouching as you input 3+A. Same way as in SF. Much like in SF, however, there are certain benefits to a DP from crouch.

In SFIV it's dependent on the charge (and the speed of a character's FADC). Smash Bros. isn't so favourable when it comes to advantage, so I can't really say.

Jabs are suitable for low-angle anti-airs from a modest distance--not unlike how King of Fighters uses them. Not the common usage, but it's there.
I actually played SF4 quite a bit so I'm aware of most of those things. I think most level 2 focus attacks in SF4 were negative.

I'm impressed by how accurate Ryu is in this game though I kind of wish he had a meter system as well. Though he's already arguably one of the best characters, with things like a super with 4 bars and FADCs with two bars he might become way too good.

I forgot about using jabs as anti-airs which also works in SF. I guess it's less commitment then an SRK. However the move will never kill whereas hard utilt will eventually start killing so I think that's a better option for a fast standing AA.

Edit:

Are there any recent, good Ryu guides new players should watch? Preferably recent ones.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Trying to get into Ryu. The neutral has me a bit lost. I doing a fair amount of walking, poking with fire balls, sometimes spaces bairs but I know jumping as Ryu isn't great. I suppose my question is which player or players should I study the neutral from? Who has a strong grasp of it?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Spacing with SH bairs is NOT the same as doing a FULL STAGE run in and jump with a soft hit nair. What you are doing is fine.

No Ryu has fully grasped his neutral.

Good luck. ha.

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman

I have a few questions myself:

1. How reliable is ledge trump bair for Ryu? Is it true or can they air dodge out? Either way it seems like a solid mixup to me if they aren't buffering ledge options as it kills fairly early.

2. I've noticed soft hit nair at higher percents starts popping the opponent up instead of just sliding them across stage. Is this also effected by rage? If Ryu has more rage, will it start popping them up earlier?

4. How much advantage does focus attack on block grant if any? Would focus on block, dash forward, downtilt be a true blockstring if timed properly?

6. How much shield damage does hard uptilt - TSRK do? I think it might a great setup versus even a slightly used shield as you can buffer the TSRK within the hard up tilt (option select), and then it will only come out if you actually land it.

7. Does hard regular (non-true) SRK have startup invincibility? Or only TSRK?
I'm still looking for answers to these particular questions. If anyone can answer them it'd be much appreciated.

Last edited:

ForetoldWaffle

Smash Rookie
I am having a little bit of trouble with the Corrin MU. How do I get through and punish the back-airs when Corrin's back-air pushes him/her back?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

tyro8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tyro888
Yo i dunno if this question has already been asked but can ryu u tilt and d tilt combos ne SDIed? Ex: the u tilt x3 nair combo or light d tilt x3 strong d tilt to true tatsu or the u tilt to shoryu combo be SDIed????

ForetoldWaffle

Smash Rookie
What is the best way to approach characters that have disjointed hitboxes like Corrin? And also, I'm having trouble performing down/neutral/up tilt to TSK to the left. What is the best way to be more consistent when performing this to the left?

Last edited:

Katyria

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kelsey-C
I just started playing Ryu recently and have always had smash attack on c stick. I was wondering if people consider it mandatory to play with attack on the c stick?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
What is the best way to approach characters that have disjointed hitboxes like Corrin? And also, I'm having trouble performing down/neutral/up tilt to TSK to the left. What is the best way to be more consistent when performing this to the left?
Sorry for the late reply.
Don't approach. Bait. Baiting them towards you, if you can, with hadokens and shakanetsus is the best way to keep them from mauling you in neutral. Other than that you can attempt to approach with quick dashes and focus dashes. Not recommended though.

Practice. It's easiest to do it from U-tilt but it's also easy from D-tilt. F-tilt is a bit more tricky. However, if you're using true Shoryuken with B. Don't. Get in the habit of using A. This way you can combo directly into the TS without having to even move your thumb. So, do the tilts and then when you're going to True Shoryuken input :GCR::GCD::GCDR::GCA: NOT :GCB:. If you're just asking about the frames, well, it's all in the timing.
Any advice on how to edgeguard a recovering zss?
Again, sorry for the late reply.
Zero Suit is a tough one. Obviously, pressuring with Hadokens works for mid recovery. Ryu's F-air is a little disjointed too, so that's good for high recovery. Low recovery is basically impossible. Ledge recovery is simply D-smash and D-tilts.
I just started playing Ryu recently and have always had smash attack on c stick. I was wondering if people consider it mandatory to play with attack on the c stick?
No. I never play with attack on :GCCN: I always have Smash. Having attack on :GCCN: helps with True Shoryuken Combos but it is far from mandatory. Just depends on your preference.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Hey Ryu's! Just wondering, what characters does Ryu actually struggle against? Any at all? Or does he just have easy contending MUs against everyone?
I found an older MU chart of the whole cast and it said Ryu had like 8 losing MUs. Not sure if I agree, but you tell me.

Struggling to find any decent MU for any character really haha

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
As someone who enjoys using Melee Falco (and to a point Brawl Falco) is Ryu a good choice for a viable replacement for that kind of playstyle since Sm4sh Falco is pretty bad? Main thing in particular that I'm wondering is if Hadoukens can be used in anyway to force reactions or make the opponent go into an unfavourable position. They have an faf of 58 which is just under a full second and I know they're nowhere as powerful as shac lasers from Melee and Brawl but at the same time, there is 6 different variants of the move (b input tapped, b input held, manual input tapped and held and the red ones tapped and held). Originally didn't give Ryu any consideration since I wasn't a fan of his manual inputs but recently I picked up Ultra SFIV so I'm getting more used to and comfortable with SF inputs. If Ryu isn't too close of a playstyle to the old Falco, I'll probably just stick to focusing on Mewtwo since Shadow Balls do a decent enough job of what I want a projectile to do.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Can you re-word that? I think I know what you mean, but I want further clarification.

Seems you want to know about diminishing hitstun when the move is decayed?

Top Bottom