• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Who Is Diego Umejuarez? - Ryu Q&A Thread

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
qa.PNG

If you have a question about the Wandering World Warrior, Ryu, in Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS and Wii U ask it here!
--------
F.A.Q.

"How do I input Ryu's special moves that use Street Fighter inputs?"

This graphic from the Smash Bros. website is the command list you seek

"What are the names of the moves Ryu does in Street Fighter terms?"
These are all of Ryu's moves that correspond to Street Fighter. Names use traditional Street Fighter names for the buttons. Names are taken from traditional Street Fighter arcade cabinet.
DSC03111.JPG
F-Smash (Joudan Sokuto Geri)
U-Smash (Crouching Fierce Punch)
D-Smash (Crouching Roundhouse Kick)
F-Air (Jumping Forward Kick)
U-Air (Jumping Strong Punch)
D-Air (Jumping Fierce Punch)
B-Air (Neutral Jump Roundhouse Kick)
N-Air (Jumping Short Kick)
Strong F-Tilt ( Command Normal. Forward + Strong Punch = Collarbone Breaker)
Weak F-Tilt (Far Standing Forward Kick)
Strong D-Tilt (Crouching Forward Kick)
Weak D-Tilt (Crouching Short Kick)
Strong U-Tilt (Close Standing Fierce Punch)
Weak U-Tilt (Close Standing Jab Punch)
Ledge Attack (Crouching Roundhouse Kick [From Street Fighter 3])
Jab Combo (Far Standing Jab Punch, Close Standing Strong Punch, Far Standing Fierce Punch)
HOLD Jab (Far Standing Roundhouse Kick)
GLOSSARY
So not everyone is a Street Fighter player, and not everyone is familiar with Street Fighter terminology. Here's a glossary for terms you'll probably see used a lot. Yanked from Shoryuken, edited for Smash.

FADC: Focus attack dash cancel. Tool in SF4 for canceling moves into a focus attack that can be dashed out of. In Smash Bros., Ryu can dash forward or backwards on the ground or in the air to cancel his Focus Attack.
Frame Trap: An attack that, when timed correctly, opens up enough of a gap for the opponent to try to attack but nothing the opponent does will come out fast enough to avoid being stuffed.
Hit-Confirm: Using normal moves to lead into an unsafe special so that you don’t leave yourself in a dangerous situation. For example, using two Up Tilts before committing to a Shoryuken.
Invincibility: Certain attacks are invincible during their duration. Ryu’s EX Shoryuken gives him complete invincibility and can beat out any move in the game.
Link: Stringing one attack to another that isn’t a cancel. Attacks can only be linked if the second attack comes out faster than the opponent recovers.
Negative Edge: The input that occurs when a button is released. Holding The :GCA: button and doing a QCF (Quarter-Circle Forward) Motion [:GCD::GCDR::GCR:], then releasing :GCA: will give you a Hadouken just as if you'd done the QCF motion and then pressed the button.
Overhead: An attack that must be blocked standing. This is not the case in Smash Bros. Ryu's Forward Tilt (The two hit overhead punch) is extremely strong on shields and can break them with ease.
Parry: In the SF3 series an attack could be parried by pressing forward on the joystick as it hit you. This allowed players to punish better and avoid taking chip damage. In Smash Bros., initiating a Perfect Shield / Powershield with Ryu gives a distinct sound and Ryu make a distinct pose. It's possible to parry moves that hit multiple times, so you can recreate Evo Moment 37.
SRK: short for Shoryuken.
Tatsu: Tatsumaki Sempukyaku, the Shotokan hurricane kick. Down, down-back, back, kick.
Zoning: Finding the perfect distance to limit your opponent’s options. Ryu wants to find the distance from which if his opponent jumps over a Hadouken, he can easily Shoryuken them out of the air.

Attachments

Last edited:

Name Cannot be changed

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4768-7691-2214
Two questions I suspect will be asked a lot:

Can Ryu use joystick motions like QCF or DP to do his special moves like he can in Street Fighter?

Is Ryu a good character for learning Super Smash Bros fundamentals like he is for Street Fighter?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Two questions I suspect will be asked a lot:

Can Ryu use joystick motions like QCF or DP to do his special moves like he can in Street Fighter?

Is Ryu a good character for learning Super Smash Bros fundamentals like he is for Street Fighter?
To the former, it's been confirmed that doing the "proper" input for his specials gives you better versions of them.

To the latter, we shall see.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
My main question lies with his input specials. In street fighter, the way you know you've done the special is by Ryu doing the animation, obviously. But in this game you can still do B and do Hadou so is there some kind of indicator that you did the ex version of the move? This goes the same with Shoryuken and Hurricane Kick. Obviously you might notice hurricane kick go a little farther but will the animation or something about the move change to show you did the input correctly?

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
My main question lies with his input specials. In street fighter, the way you know you've done the special is by Ryu doing the animation, obviously. But in this game you can still do B and do Hadou so is there some kind of indicator that you did the ex version of the move? This goes the same with Shoryuken and Hurricane Kick. Obviously you might notice hurricane kick go a little farther but will the animation or something about the move change to show you did the input correctly?
There's different vocal indicators. Ryu yells "Hadouken" louder and with more force when he does the strong version. He says "Tatsumaki Senpu Kyaku" when doing the strong version of Tatsu and just lets out a grunt for the weak one.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
so are there L M H variations of all his specials?
Not in that sense. Ryu has three different versions of his Hadouken and two different versions of his Shoryuken and Tatsumaki Senpu Kyakyu that require Street Fighter-inspired inputs.

For example, Neutral :GCB: will give you a regular, weak Hadouken
But :GCD::GCDR::GCR: + :GCB: will give you a EX Hadouken which travels faster and does a little more damage
And then doing :GCL::GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCR: + :GCB: will give you a Shakunetsu Hadouken which hits five times and does the most damage of them all

Last edited:

Name Cannot be changed

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4768-7691-2214
How does the game decide whether a QCB does a tatsu in the direction you intended or a backward fireball?

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
The input timing isn't too strict, it's just weird doing it on a anologue stick, I much prefer using Dpads for Street Fighter type moves. When it comes to combos though, you'll have to be pretty precise with how long you hold buttons. Ryu has DEFINITELY got insane potential.

Incenetum

Smash Cadet
Can you FADC -> c.MK (hard kick? strong dtilt? I dunno, I kinda wanna stick to SF terms :p) and follow up? If you can, this is literally the one deciding factor in whether or not I main Ryu or Roy lol.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
How does the game decide whether a QCB does a tatsu in the direction you intended or a backward fireball?
you can't do a backwards fireball (or a backwards anything). the game will register the move based on which direction you're facing
Can you FADC -> c.MK (hard kick? strong dtilt? I dunno, I kinda wanna stick to SF terms :p) and follow up? If you can, this is literally the one deciding factor in whether or not I main Ryu or Roy lol.
yes, however, you only get a crumple with a mostly charged focus attack (i guess it's like that in SF as well?). (btw, i think we're going with dtilt 1/ dtilt 2 or dtilt and strong dtilt)

Last edited:

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
You can pretty much hit anything out of a fully charged FA, you can't fully charge smash attacks, but all tilts work, and smash attacks work. If you land it and they're at high %, they're dead.

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
Is Ryu's Tatsu+ a disjoint? This makes no sense otherwise/

Last edited:

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
@ Jrzfine Jrzfine Well, everything is a disjoint. I think that word is thrown around too much. Besides, Tatsu has (in all iterations of Street Fighter and other crossover games) always hit on both sides. It's a hurricane kick, after all.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
You can pretty much hit anything out of a fully charged FA, you can't fully charge smash attacks, but all tilts work, and smash attacks work. If you land it and they're at high %, they're dead.
you can definitely land fully charged upsmash and downsmash out of full charged FADC

shoff

Smash Cadet
Is Ryu's Tatsu+ a disjoint? This makes no sense otherwise/
Its because roy's sword doesnt hit like it should above him. Test it out. Down throw with roy and try yo forward smash, the sword diesnt hit the opponent in the air.

SagaciousCejai

Smash Rookie
A friend and myself are getting a bit confused on the SF-esque inputs (since we noticed the moves like the more powerful hadouken and shoryuken can be thrown out with either attack button if the input is done correctly).
Is there any difference in more powerful versions of the Special attacks between using the A button or B button?

ToastyDM

Smash Rookie
For SF Newbies It might be important to research what Negative Edge is, as it's present here and helps with Special Canceling.

Last edited:

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
you can't do a backwards fireball (or a backwards anything). the game will register the move based on which direction you're facing
correction: turns out, you can pivot turn around fireball. (not sure if you can do it with hurricane kick or DP). the command is weird though, i get it to work by pressing down-forward-QCB-B

Signia

Smash Lord
Can you do the "buffer" option select in Smash 4?

"Buffering" is a sort of option select where you do input for the special that would cancel if a normal hits, regardless if you know whether the normal will hit or not. If the normal hits, it'll cancel into the special without needing to hit confirm it. If it doesn't hit, the special won't come out, since it's not allowed to come out yet during the time when it would've cancelled into a special on hit, when the normal whiffs.

In Street Fighter, this technique is used in footsies when counter poking because it's too hard to hit confirm single normals into a special cancel, and there's no risk of doing a special when you don't want to in this situation where they're too far away to block the move and the special won't come out on whiff, and you might catch them doing a move, hit them out of it, and cancel into a special.

However, this type of option select is possible only when there is no input buffer system, like in Melee. In Smash 4, there is a 10 frame input buffer, so doing this technique might make the special come out on whiff anyway, even if you timed the input to only come out if the normal hits. Negative edging the special might also affect whether the buffer messes up this option select.

In Smash 4, this would be done using heavy dtilt into whatever special will reach.

Last edited:

Greninja'd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Asianbanana
3DS FC
0645-5951-1667
How do I do the shoryuken with the directional inputs? I can't really execute all that well.

DesConsTraquentT

Smash Rookie
Hello, I'd like to know more about ryu's jablocking game
The only I found was simple hadoken, and it's not that useful. So I guess when someone gets a knockdown I have to try a shoryuken ?

Sir_Africa

Smash Cadet
Hey guys so what is ryus meteorbsmash exactly? Is it dair? Or is it strong dair?

Kulty

Smash Ace
How is Ryu supposed to be played? Is he a rush-down character? Balanced? Defensive? Or Bait and punish type of gameplay style?

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
How is Ryu supposed to be played? Is he a rush-down character? Balanced? Defensive? Or Bait and punish type of gameplay style?
As far as I played, completely offensive. He has a nice mix of combos, while having a very safe game with DC.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
How do I do the shoryuken with the directional inputs? I can't really execute all that well.
This information is in the OP.

Forward, Down, Down Forward + A
:GCR:, :GCD:, :GCDR: + :GCA:

Hey guys so what is ryus meteorbsmash exactly? Is it dair? Or is it strong dair?
It's Dair, there is no "Strong Dair"

Ryu, being the most balanced character in most of his Street Fighter iterations, has the option to be played offensively, defensively, or balanced. Play him like you'd play Mario, I'd say. Switch it up depending on the matchup.

RoySFNR

Smash Rookie
Anyone who can offer some tips on how to approach as Ryu? I played a lot of him in Street Fighter but throwing out low forward doesn't seem to have the same effect at all (lol, wonder why..)
I can land most of the up tilt and down tilt into SRK combo's. The problem is with getting into range without getting grabbed or smacked around.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
One thing that I don't like about ryu is his tatsu if blocked never hits again. I find that dumb. But in his games if you blocked tatsu you had to crouch to avoid it. I dunno Tatsu just seems Weird?

Tatsu should be vulnerable to fireballs to a certain extent, and should either do more on block or be a little safer towards the end of the move itself.

Top Bottom