• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who finds taunting offensive?

MastaShake99

Smash Journeyman
People IM me and call me mean names a lot:mad:
but i keep cool cuz i never taunt first:embarrass

would you get as mad as to IM somebody and call them names
or do you not even get mad
:chuckle: *** you stink by the way

Denzi

Smash Master
What?
I know you mean taunting after a kill, but I don't get what else you're trying to say.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
I think that it could depend on whether it's a random online match or a 1 on 1 vs friends match. Either way, I don't really find it offensive so much as annoying. For the time it takes me to get a random 2v2 group going sometimes, it's just annoying to have a character run to the side of the stage and taunt all day.

Then again, I can just pick characters like ROB or Pikachu and annoy them by interrupting them until they stop... =P

If I'm playing someone 1 on 1, and one of us pulls off a string of moves or a nice setup for a kill, I don't find taunting that offensive at all. By all means, if I wasn't good enough to see something coming, or I let myself get caught or killed in a 0-death manner, go ahead and taunt. I deserve it. If it's a really close, back and forth game between two players (evenly-matched), then I guess I might find it a little more "offensive." I don't really think that taunting after EVERY kill is really necessary, especially if it wasn't so great in the first place. In that case, it's really more like saying "Z0MG PWNED N00b!!11!!1!shift!1" when you're barely ahead or you were about to be beaten yourself.

If it's "justified," go for it. Otherwise, it can be annoying, but I don't really find it "offensive."

Denzi

Smash Master
The only time I actually find it offensive is when:

1. Taunting and SDing when I actually want to play.
2. I kill myself and they act as if it was all them.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I don't really find it offensive. I also don't use the taunt that much either. In fact, I pretty much never use it at all. I don't know why. After a kill I just kinda show off my tech skill or something...

PoisonMist

Smash Journeyman
The only time I taunt is if I connect Luigi's Taunt Spike. I will just keep spamming D-Taunt until they revive.

lulz

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
I find it offensive when people say "****ING OWNED" or "EPIC FAIL" with their taunts. I mean, it's one thing to provoke your opponent, but to so blatantly attempt to anger them...

Denzi

Smash Master
The only time I taunt is if I connect Luigi's Taunt Spike. I will just keep spamming D-Taunt until they revive.

lulz
I love the reactios people have after the D-taunt spike.
It's generally something like, "Did I just let myself get hit by that?" (That's how I feel anyway)

AAP

Smash Journeyman
i don't find plain taunts too offensive, but the "epic fail' and "pwnz" type idiotic things kids put in their taunts drives me nuts.

Taunts are best used as a celebration for pulling off something sick, not after every kill.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
i don't find plain taunts too offensive, but the "epic fail' and "pwnz" type idiotic things kids put in their taunts drives me nuts.

Taunts are best used as a celebration for pulling off something sick, not after every kill.

♥Mhhmmm.. I agree! ^__^

*nods head in agreement*

Cissnei

Smash Rookie
Taunts are annoying if people put nasty things in them, or just stupid crap. Playing online i mostly get some loser who will add the "Another girl gets Pwned" in there taunt after Dsmashing with Metaknight so much and they keep playing that taunt over and over. This happend when i was playing with my friend, and she invited someone else to play, someone i didnt know. Never doing that again >_> After all that i found out it was a some guy who thought that girls can't play games at all. He only taunts when he plays girls. (I know i might have gotten a bit off tpoic)

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
Taunts are annoying if people put nasty things in them, or just stupid crap. Playing online i mostly get some loser who will add the "Another girl gets Pwned" in there taunt after Dsmashing with Metaknight so much and they keep playing that taunt over and over. This happend when i was playing with my friend, and she invited someone else to play, someone i didnt know. Never doing that again >_> After all that i found out it was a some guy who thought that girls can't play games at all. He only taunts when he plays girls. (I know i might have gotten a bit off tpoic)
♥I should play him...simple as that. ;)

Cissnei

Smash Rookie
Oh i dont think he'd want to, not after that 3 stock **** i gave him 3 days ago >_^d

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
your too slow! your too slow! your too slow! your too slow! your too slow! your too slow! your too slow! your too slow! your too slow! your too slow! your too slow! your too slow! your too slow! your too slow! your too slow! your too slow! your too slow! your too slow!
yes it gets very annoying and can simply be solved with a quick falcon pawnch.

ook

Smash Lord
a quick falcon pawnch.
oximoron, lol

But, sometimes I do get pissed at people for taunting.
I dunno why, because I taunt almost every time I kill someone... but sometimes it just seems rude :ohwell:

I've always wondered if the people I taunt feel the same way....

But whatever the case, putting messages in your online taunts is just obnoxious, lol. I prefer not to, because it distracts from the actual animation of the taunt, because they're just too busy reading the message. Most times the taunts are better off speaking for themselves.

Johnny_C

Smash Cadet
Tough the Dk's original melee "Uh!" taunt cracks me in the nuts, is not really ofensive at all. Taunts are sometimes a way to say "lol, I pwned you hard!" to say "You are good, but Im BETTA!" or depending how and when "Great match, it was a close one!"

Taunts' purpose is to, well... TAUNT the other player(s) and it can be used as mental game too, so annoying yes, offensive enough to flame the other player, only if you are inmature.

Nicole

Smash Champion
ha, i do that whenever i'm playing as game and watch too! it's probably conditioning from playing too much halo.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Taunts can be pretty annoying sometimes. Once on Wifi someone taunted "TRASH..." after KOs... But then I remembered that out of the 10 matches we played they only KO'd me twice, so it was all good.

I prefer to put humorous stuff in my taunts than mean junk. After a KO I taunt with stuff like "Sabados Gigante!" and "Board the Platforms!" If my opponent pulls off an ill KO, I compliment 'em with a side taunt. "Good one!"

...Agh! 666th post!

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Taunting can be annoying especially when they put insulting words with them. When I get taunted like that I pick random characters and start doing unnecessary things, then I leave.

Marufuji Ryo

Smash Apprentice
People IM me and call me mean names a lot:mad:
but i keep cool cuz i never taunt first:embarrass

would you get as mad as to IM somebody and call them names
or do you not even get mad
:chuckle: *** you stink by the way
You have just be sigged.

Taunting doesn't offend me.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
I find it funny. I don't think taunting could be that offensive, unless of course it has harsh language or any other profanity. Offline it doesn't matter at all.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!

The finest in French taunting.

Seriously, it's the whole point of taunting. From www.thefreedictionary.com

Taunt
1. To reproach in a mocking, insulting, or contemptuous manner. See Synonyms at ridicule.
2. To drive or incite (a person) by taunting.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
Taunting shouldn't be offensive, just a motive to come back and kill the other person. Be careful what you taunt says though. The text showing above your taunt could be offensive to the other person.

snowaxe

Smash Apprentice
The only time I actually find it offensive is when:

1. Taunting and SDing when I actually want to play.
2. I kill myself and they act as if it was all them.
Yeah I hate it when when I mess up a PSI Thunder, because of lag of course. Then they do a taunt pretty much stating "I killed him! HA!" Its annoying.

I dont really get number 1 so much sooooooo yeah.

A-Tron

Smash Cadet
ew you're all SOFT. taunt after every kill no matter what. only time u dont taunt is in a tourny, even styll use fast taunts like G&W bells

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I taunt after a kill for most of the time.

The only time I taunt in battle is Captain Falcon's side taunt at the beginning of the battle. Most people don't find it offensive though, it's just there for laughs unless they're being jerks about it.

MastaShake99

Smash Journeyman
i hate when people taunt even when they are getting owned
i love the tension it causes tho, it makes winning so much better.
i also love when people get so mad about that they instant message me about it

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Sonic main, just passing by.

"You're too slow!"

I think I've made kids cry with that taunt. I'd single jab, run away, then side taunt.

Mith_

Smash Champion
It severely annoys me when people taunt EVERY TIME I lose a stock. I mean seriously, If you pulled an uber sick combo, or if you came back from me about to kill you I can see why you would taunt. But everytime? I don't like playing against the computer because all they do is ****in taunt.

EDIT: Unless you are C. Falcon, then you can taunt all you want.

LAWZ

Smash Cadet
I recently took off all the messages on my taunts...cause I would always taunt and than forget it said something....so then I was like...well I didn't want to say that....

so now I can taunt without having to worry... ^_^

DDM

Smash Journeyman
I mentioned it in a different thread already, but to answer the question...

Nope.

If someone whiffs on a strong attack, I whip out "You're too slow!".

Shadow_Bane

Smash Cadet
The best thing you can do is to fSmash dSamsh or uSmash and taunt right in their faces to get back at them.
its what i do when on basic brawl and sum guy/girl pisses me off

Top Bottom