• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who finds taunting offensive?

K 2

Smash Lord
I never taunt unless it was an epic kill. I hate it when people taunt with "OMG OWNED" when you SD or something. It's like wtf? I prefer showing off by going under the stage or something. =P

Ah...that reminds me of the lvl 9 mario I was playing. Epic. After I killed him, I taunted (with G&W), he respawned and killed me out of my taunt. Then, he did the taunt where he grows really big. I respawned and hammered him with a "9" while he was in his taunt....oh the sweet revenge.

Nintensoldier

Smash Rookie
the only time it ****** me off is when they're comments say pwnt and all sad crap like that.

then I just have to think to myself "okay, your an internet memes loser, congratulations? >.>"

gamegeek27

Smash Rookie
I don't consider it offensive... in fact every time some1 does it to me i usually start laughing...
I just wish yould be immune to attack when you taunt.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I find it offensive when people say "****ING OWNED" or "EPIC FAIL" with their taunts. I mean, it's one thing to provoke your opponent, but to so blatantly attempt to anger them...
Yeah I normally don't use messages in my taunts. In fact I rarely taunt in general. But one time I was playing a friend on Wifi and set up some taunts specifically for him (inside jokes). Then I played a different friend and forgot to change the messages, so a lot of confusion ensued.

ynnek123

Smash Ace
I only hate it when someone taunts after every ****** stock with *lol* or *owned* or *nice* even if you SD. that's why you should play melee lol

Umeki

Smash Rookie
No, i don't find it Offensive, but i usually only taunt if they were killed by going up, or if im attempting some random pose.

TheTomNookster

Smash Apprentice
Taunts never offend me unless they have profanity in them. Now that's just mean and immature.

Tsk tsk.

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
It's only "offensive" if they use offensive language.
I rarely taunt, especially in close matches. But if I combo someone off the edge and spike them... I can't resist.

Also, if you're Captain Falcon, taunting is required.

TEECO

Smash Ace
I dont find it offensive, i just lose some respect for them; especially in real matches.
They are only doing it to be cocky.

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
Only like, two people in 4 pages spelt "you're" correctly. >_>

I also noticed that the better you tended to spell in this thread, the less likely you were to taunthoar.

Me? Taunting's annoying. Funny taunts, however, are not.

I think anyone who uses the "word" "pwn" in their taunts should be shot in the kneecaps for every time they hit the taunt button.

13th Nightmare

Smash Cadet
I just use the taunts for a bit of fun. I don't really get offended by the taunts unless they are really rude in some way. But in my eyes, the taunts are there to have a little bit of fun with. I generally write something funny for my taunts. Like something that has nothing to do with what is going on the screen

M15t3R E

Smash Master
It's all cool to me unless they taunt after every kill.
I usually do other things, such as crouching over and over as an alternative to taunting.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Isn't a "taunt," by definition, meant to provoke people? Of course people find it offensive. That's the point of a taunt.

I taunt in tournament matches all the time.

Spirit-breaking = advanced mindgames. Or maybe I'm just really cruel :p

(Yes, getting people annoyed does make them play worse. Keep that in mind kids.)

Zyren

Smash Rookie
I don't let taunts affect me. Meanwhile, I will use them whenever I see fit, because I'm not a fan of a silent game.

I was just thinking for a taunt message when you kill someone and they are respawning...

"How's the weather up there?"

Ooh... burn.

The 5th Horseman

Smash Ace
I really don't taunt a lot. (Only when it was a great combo or and epic edge guard battle.)

But I have "Well done" as a taunt to show a good match and respect.

If people taunt me when I screw up on something I just play crazy def and get them mad. :)

SwordmasterXXXI

Smash Journeyman
Taunts don't really affect me. Only when I'm brawling someone in a 1 vs 1 friend code match and they taunt every time I die with somthing like "lol pwned or FAIL!"

It's ever worse because people like that usually suck at the game anyway. >_>

Prosser

Smash Rookie
Doesn't bother me.
Anyone who just use "PWNED" and such all the time are just idiots. I just use "gg" for good games or "lolol" if something humorous happens.

Kaizhi

Smash Rookie
I don't find taunting offensive either,
and don't really care if the person does it constantly as well.
I consider it all in good fun, and really a movelist in itself like with what Choknater was saying.
Advanced mindgame.

My friends and I used to increase by one taunt every kill (1st kill 1 taunt, 2nd kill 2 taunt)
and then one've us would just get out as many as we could before getting hit again.

Back in Melee and 64 I was able to shieldroll away, taunt, then smash/hit over and over.
My friends got really annoyed cause they couldn't stop it but it made us all laugh.
(Yea, not really sure why they kept getting sucked into it over and over either ahaha, mind game?
We're the type that often gets stuck on the thought of doing a move,
if we cannot get it off, then we'll just keep trying over and over until we get it even if it means a loss.)

Taunting is really just saying, "come get me" "you best kill me if you still want respect for yourself"
or even "yea.. you fugged up" (for when people accidentally kill themselves).
Think of when a person kills themself and Ness taunts "..OKAY!" or DK shrug.

Sometimes also use taunts as extra animations for moves,
like fox's (up? the one with the fire) taunt before an upB,
CapFalcons taunt before any of his bmoves.

Definitely dislike offensive language in taunts though.
We should find a way to get them banned, or just agree not to use em' =p

Zatman

Smash Rookie
I really don't find it offensive in With Anyone-mode and normally not in Friends mode either. There is exceptions thought. There was this one guy who had text: "Hey, you lost the match!".

I found that really annoying, do people normally say that? Other text he used was(this is translated from Finnish) "Holy S*it, what a pötkö".
I wasn't able to find what pötkö is in English, but i can assure you that it sounds very annoying.

What annoyed me more was that he sometimes those it in middle of the match when he was winning by 1 stock. He won me alright, but still...It just feels so bad to lose someone like that.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I usually taunt if I get a good kill, get killed in a stupid way, or if my opponent gets killed in a stupid way.

I don't find it offensive though.

Illomatic

Smash Apprentice
not really, it can get annoying but thats all...i mean, i taunt lol
when i play with my friends especially because its funny
its not as bad as T-Bagging in halo though

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
I absolutely hate being taunted. It's disrespectful and annoying! :mad: I never taunt, unless something epic just happened. :ohwell:

Although, killing a Sonic right after he does his "Your Too Slow!" is probably the most satisfying thing to do in Brawl.

Royale

Smash Journeyman
I find it offensive when people say "****ING OWNED" or "EPIC FAIL" with their taunts. I mean, it's one thing to provoke your opponent, but to so blatantly attempt to anger them...
Dont get mad

Get even

FredTHAreD

Smash Cadet
I dont mind taunting much. Two of my taunts are occupied by messages, "BRB", and "Im done GG".

The only thing about them I find annoying, are the overly cocky, arrogant taunts. Sometimes, players are just better than you, and thats fine, but when they rub it in every kill its a bit overboard.

Personally, my other two taunts are for comedic purposes, like when I mess up and suicide.

I duck when I kill my opponent most of the time. 'Cause Kirby's ducking noise is win.

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
My only taunt is "NICE", and I only use that after they kill me in a way I deem cool.

oze6000

Smash Apprentice
I hope people find it offensive.

It doesn't really bug me at all, I keep a low temper. But other people, it just adds to their anger that they died, and they'll play even more rashly. If it offends, that is just a bigger reason to do it.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
Im going to pimp slap whoever finds taunting TRULY offensive..
Your playing a Teen Game...Online.. Your going to find something offensive...
Plus taunting is just a better way of having fun without the mic..
If you dont like taunting drop brawl as a whole..
And go buy *Imagine Babysitting* or some **** like that.

HraesVELGEr

Smash Rookie
I don't particularly care. The only way anyone ever gets to finish a taunt when playing against me is if I just died.

Mith_

Smash Champion
you gotta know when to taunt and when not to.
don't act like a CPU and taunt every friggin stock. now that **** gets annoying.

Top Bottom