• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else is worried Brawl might not be that good?

ConnorF

Smash Rookie
Well, either way, Melee will have a special place in my heart for years to come, regardless of Brawl sucking or not. :)

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I really, really, realllly like melee. I really dont see how anything could be better, not even jesus shredding a guitar and shooting lasers at noobs.

Bah I dont think brawl will suck, Im heavily convinced that I personally am always going to prefer melee though, Im NEVER quitting melee, heck I made a thread about how I think meless tournament scene is gonna live on.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Waveshining is another reason, but I didn't mention it for several reasons. One being that all the stages that have it also have other offenses, like camping, etc. And second being that I don't think a walk-off edge is enough to warrant a ban based on waveshining alone.

Onett, for example, was on forever, and I don't remember a sudden surge of people waveshining each other off causing its ban. Namely because the stage's structure and hazards are disruptive enough to make the tactic highly situational. So I think a stage can have walkoff edges and be structured in a way that it doesn't make waveshining a broken tactic - which is why I didn't bring it up for Brawl. Though I guess I should of.

Anyway, if you look at the Nintendo World trailer, it -looks- like Fox's shine sends people upwards now, so who knows how walk-offs will be treated in Brawl (personally I think they have enough problems without waveshining...)
That would be a valid reason- except for the fact that we first saw the shine in Fox special moves update, not the trailer. And we never even saw him hitting anyone with it, just reflecting ZSS' blaster.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
That would be a valid reason- except for the fact that we first saw the shine in Fox special moves update, not the trailer. And we never even saw him hitting anyone with it, just reflecting ZSS' blaster.
There's a good chance that fox's shine will be nerfed a little. I think itll still have the same effect and I predict (note : predict) that you will still be able to jump out of your shine.

I think they might make it so that it doesnt come out in 1 frame though, thats just incredibly abusive, as we've all seen in melee.

I hope falco makes a return.. his moveset is too good.. hes a fun character :)

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
There's a good chance that fox's shine will be nerfed a little. I think itll still have the same effect and I predict (note : predict) that you will still be able to jump out of your shine.

I think they might make it so that it doesnt come out in 1 frame though, thats just incredibly abusive, as we've all seen in melee.

I hope falco makes a return.. his moveset is too good.. hes a fun character :)
Or they might combine Fox' and Falco's movesets. Like make his shine send them upwards or something like that. That would suck though, Falco ftw.:(

Yeah, the moves that need the most nerfing (for fox) are shine, usmash, and uair.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Or they might combine Fox' and Falco's movesets. Like make his shine send them upwards or something like that. That would suck though, Falco ftw.:(

Yeah, the moves that need the most nerfing (for fox) are shine, usmash, and uair.
Usmash and uair are fine. Dont get hit. Smash DI easily gets you out of fox's uair in most cases anyway, and his usmash is pretty easy to see coming unless you techchase with it or whatever.

Meh, maybe a little less power for the usmash but the uair is very DI-able and if it were any weaker, fox would lack one of his best kill moves.

His shine is just TOO fast though. 1 frame is just ridiculous, Im not gonna suggest that shouldnt be fixed for brawl.

itd suck if they combined fox/falco's movesets, itd be awkward and weird, and... possibly extremly broken.. lol. :laugh:

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
Melee tournaments will probably live on, but i dont know if it will be anywhere near as big as it is now.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
The shine and the spike need to be nerfed!!........and the upsmash...maybe a little less powerull, but justa little, if not it will suck.

Stuhddabahkz

Smash Apprentice
Snake's potential moveset just proved this game won't suck. And not his specials, the moves that weren't explained. Y'know, his grab, the box, the claymore... mostly his grab. Unique movesets ftw!

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
I think if you cant jump out of the shin and it doesnt spike you (but it comes in one frame) it will be ok.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Up-Smash and U-air are the only thing Fox needs nerfed. Yeah, those are his big guns, but that should be his trade off for having the fastest move in the game. Besides, some characters don't even have a move that has that much knockback and speed.

Fox still has a lot of options to KO with other than usmash and uair anyways.

Ryudragon29

Smash Journeyman
I know it's going to be good but if it's going to be better than Melee, that I can't tell right now but with online, it should.

Algus Underdunk

Smash Journeyman
I'm not worried in the least, merely excited to the point of not being able to think straight at times.

So far my hopes for character appearances and returns have all been met well. Also my want for more Franchises is, at the moment, being pandered to thankfully, without having an overwhelming number of characters from any one franchise.

Normally, I dislike the idea of 'zomg 50 guys form Fire Emblm!!!' and such, and I'd really rather see more Nintendo franchises (Pikmin, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Custom Robo, Punch Out, Chibi Robo, etc.) get represented first, but if a character's clever enough of an addition (such as Pokemon Trainer) then I'm fine with it.

Seeing Samurai Goroh, Lyn and Deoxys all pop up as support (trophies/pokeball) also raises my hopes that the main playable characters are going to rep more franchises than before...

The story mode looks exciting and finally seeing the characters actually interact in a way that makes them look like they actually aware of one another is great too.

So no, I'm not worried about it not living up to the hype... unlike a certain circular-named game that's in its third iteration ;)

brandutt845

Smash Apprentice
Brawl? Bad? Impossible. I'm not worried at all. There's no way smash can be bad with it's persistant and great gameplay throughout the years.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Usmash and uair are fine. Dont get hit. Smash DI easily gets you out of fox's uair in most cases anyway, and his usmash is pretty easy to see coming unless you techchase with it or whatever.

Meh, maybe a little less power for the usmash but the uair is very DI-able and if it were any weaker, fox would lack one of his best kill moves.

His shine is just TOO fast though. 1 frame is just ridiculous, Im not gonna suggest that shouldnt be fixed for brawl.

itd suck if they combined fox/falco's movesets, itd be awkward and weird, and... possibly extremly broken.. lol. :laugh:
look at fox's gun shooting pose ]`=

gnosis

Smash Lord
No need to be condescending. I merely said it looked (even emphasized that) like he used it in the Nintendo World trailer. I remembered that being discussed when the trailer first came out, but since it was blurry and fast nobody de/confirmed it. Upon review it looks more like an usmash.

But what do you mean it 'would be a valid reason'? I was never using it as a base to state something else; I merely brought it up as a point of interest. That's neither a 'reason', since I wasn't using to justify anything else, nor is it something that can really be invalidated... oh well.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Up-Smash and U-air are the only thing Fox needs nerfed. Yeah, those are his big guns, but that should be his trade off for having the fastest move in the game. Besides, some characters don't even have a move that has that much knockback and speed.

Fox still has a lot of options to KO with other than usmash and uair anyways.
Nerfing is not the solution for balance.

Buffing up the crappy chars is.

Broken is fun... if Fox/Falco/Marth etc. weren't broken than nobody would've played this game.

If every1 was crappy like Kirby and you couldn't do combos then Melee would've really sucked.

Broken = good

Phrozn

Smash Journeyman

Broken is fun... if Fox/Falco/Marth etc. weren't broken than nobody would've played this game.

If every1 was crappy like Kirby and you couldn't do combos then Melee would've really sucked.

Broken = good
good point, although it would be fun to have combos for all characters. it a possibility none of us have tryed, a smash where all the chars are balanced. maybe brawl will be it. but if not, i still think it will be a great game, still fun and competitive.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b

Broken = good
Because Peach's crouch cancelling to downsmash is fun and very intersting! It adds alot a depth to her metagame! Am I right?

I can't believe that you do not find any of the tiers lower than high fun. Captain Falcon is fun but is not really broken (This is subjective but alot of people find him fun and he can combo). I like Marth (even though he is pretty simple), Fox, and Falcon on the higher tier section due to intersting combos (Falcon's are horizontal in nature) or tech stuff that adds versatility to the character (Fox) or a character based mostly on spacing (Marth). I like Link, Mario, and Luigi, too. These characters are pretty simple, but they are also unique and are not as simple as say Kirby or Bowser. I can understand hating the thought of everyone being like Kirby (Can't combo and has no cool specials) or Bowser (Sluggish). Not to say that people don't enjoy those characters (I play those two from time to time for fun :laugh:), but having such ineffective and simple characters as the only choice would be pretty boring to most competative people.

There are reasons why there are buffs. The best of them being that everyone would become more broken till the point that it is rediculous (one hit kills, easy to get infinites, etc.) in order to keep up with the continuous buffs of the lower tiers. It's not like I am saying that I like most nerfs. It is just that it is necessary. Either that or Link needs to be broken. >.>

Wazoo21

Smash Apprentice
Let's see...

Melee = Decent
Melee - (Lame crap+ Some cool stuff)+ More cool stuff (stages, characters) = Brawl.

So, it stands to reason that:

Brawl> Melee

yoshi_friend

Smash Apprentice
the only thing im worried about is if 1 char is super broken.
then evry1 would just use him

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Honestly, with how the wii is going in terms of good gameplay material, most of the titles were either poor or mediocre. Yea, this is Brawl, it is going to be the bomb, but you can't blame me for being iffy on it with the dissapointing library the wii has already shown....

I can only hope...

but right now, Brawl (as well as Galaxy) are on the chopping block.

Top Bottom