• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else is nervous about Brawl potentially sucking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
Pie with ice cream is a good analogy

whether or not the majority like brawl, it will still probobly be played competitivly
It will be a fun game...no matter what
even if its directed more to casual gaming, i will still buy it and screw around with items like a "n00b"
it WILL be a fun game-it might not be a great game-but it will be fun

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Better question: have you? Sheik can't chain grab Marth much longer than 15%, let alone from 0 to 100%. I don't care how good you or anybody else may be with Sheik. After the first dthrow, Marth's low fallspeed gives him time to recover before he falls back into Sheik's grab range. Assuming Marth makes intelligent use of DI and the double jump, Sheik's chain grab stops working after two or three throws.

In any case, if you're going to be an elitist, at least know what you're talking about, thanks.
Well, whatever. I KNOW good DI can get you out of a chaingrab. But that doesn't change the fact that marth CAN be chainthrown by shiek, even if it is only 2-3 times. The other guy was suggesting that she couldnt chainthrow marth at ALL. Which I know not to be true.

Im not gonna waste hours looking through youtube but im sure ive seen some 40-50% chainthrows shiek vs marth in pro games.

Anyway, my friend has a prettttty good marth and good DI, maybe not the best DI so thats why I can chainthrow him so easily, meh all I know is that it works, all chainthrows are debatable but saying shiek cant chainthrow marth at all is wrong, thats a fact.

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
^^^

Excuses.

Ill post a whole ****load of professional smash videos where marth gets chainthrown by shiek. It happens -ALL THE TIME-
Im not gonna waste hours looking through youtube but im sure ive seen some 40-50% chainthrows shiek vs marth in pro games.
Right. So first you WERE going to post a ****load of pro smash videos involving marth getting chaingrabbed by Shiek, then you go and say (after you were told that you were wrong) that you won't waste your time looking. Righto.

Now the johns come in when you go on to say that your friend's marth has a pretty good marth. I tell you now, a marth that has good DI WILL get out of that chainthrow, if you could call it that. Methinks your friend is a scrub, likewise as you.

Another thing. No PRO is going to be chainthrown by shiek as marth, let alone til 40-50%. So that one bites the dust.

If you knew good DI could get you out of a chainthrow, why did you say that shiek could chainthrow marth in the first place? Good DI, nay, DECENT DI gets you out of that. So that leaves the question, why did you say that?

Because you = scrub.

I rest my case.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
dizzy said:
Sheik can't chain grab Marth much longer than 15%,
I don't need to make excuses, I accept the fact that you can break out of the chainthrow around that percentage. The question was whether or not shiek CAN chainthrow marth, which she definatly can.

Promethus

Smash Apprentice
I'm not.
Hell I'm gonna enjoy it as much as I did with Melee!
No matter what they take out or add i'm gonna enjoy it as my best Wii game yet.
I don't give a hell if wavedashing is out cuz that's only for tournaments and all that other junk.
I rather play the ol' easy and fun way: Items and C-sticking.

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
I honestly still don't get why everyone is complaining about a game that is'nt even NEAR finished yet. We don't know what advanced moves are going to end up in the final version, hell people are overanalysing the trailer to piece together what's being tweaked about basic moves and combinations. Trailers don't usually showcase the advanced stuff, so i don't see why assumptions should be made about Wavedashing now anyways, just wait until Jpn gets the game...

Besides, once the game actually is released, anyone who plays as good as they say they do, will get aquainted with advanced techniques, and adapt to the new playstyle the same way they did for Melee, regardless of whether WDing makes it in or not. No one should expect to be a pro on Brawl's launch day, just as no-one was a pro on Melee's launch.

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
Not really, no. I mean, why should I be? Nintendo has proven time and again that they know their stuff when it comes to their big names (ex. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash), so it seems highly illogical to think that their third attempt at one of these four would be anything less than spectacular.

Also, to those that repeatedly say they would boycott Brawl if wavedashing is removed, I would like to call your stance. Sure, at first, you won't be able to let go of your old techniques, but you'll come around. It's like the 'Celda' argument from Wind Waker. There were a lot of nay-sayers shouting about how much it would suck, but (for emphasis, Nintendo knows their stuff! and made another top Game of the Year contender.

My position: Sit back, relax, and wait until it gets here. Because we know little more than nothing about Brawl at this point, certainly not enough to make any truly meaningful assumptions.

And way-off topic, but how would you define a chain-grab, dylan? Two grabs in a row? Three? Four? Unless there's some hard definition, your assertion is somewhat nebulous.

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
Aw, come on. That was one game. Everyone's entitled to a mistake now and then (Zelda: Wand of Gamelon, anyone?) And CC had its good parts. I for one can't wait for the Wii follow-up.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I don't need to make excuses, I accept the fact that you can break out of the chainthrow around that percentage. The question was whether or not shiek CAN chainthrow marth, which she definatly can.
If you can break out,

IT IS NOT A CHAIN THROW.

The more you know, the smarter you'll sound.

Hell, Marth doesn't even have to DI. He can fair or forward-b. At 7%.

At 0 he can DI up and towards sheik and jump out of it if sheik is going for a grab.

cu00x19

Smash Apprentice
True that. But hey, Nintendo isn't stupid; if it were, it wouldn't exist anymore due to lack of people who respect the company. Nintendo is well known for considering its product owners, hence the new Wii aspects and why they even named it the "Wii."

For those who don't know, let me explain a bit. Revolution was changed to Wii because Nintendo decided to focus more on "family" and "more than one person." The two small "i"s stand for two people playing together, whilst the "W" can be an acronym for "world." It's more or less about getting more people to play it.

Now that we know that Nintendo has an eye out for the people who buy its products, waht better way to please them than to improve on their next-gen games?

If Brawl doesn't have WDing, or loses too many advance tech, many fans will be upset, and sales won't reach the expectations. Surely Nintendo is aware of the Smash Community. Don't take out stuff just cuz everyone (like n00bs) can't paly it at a certain level, just keep everything and add MORE. Those who don't want advanced can play simple, that's an easy solution. But I really want to see, if any, major improvements in SSBB.

I want to see the series as a well known franchise taht will further unite gamers from across the globe. I want to see Brawl in MLG.

Instead of worrying about the death of techs, ponder about the new featured systems. WDing will always be the same, L'Cancel, DD, ASDI...We all know how to do it, so that should be the first things we look for. Hopefully they'll still be there.

Then we can tinker around with some of the new systems we saw. Crawling--what can/can't you do during it? How can it be used in competetive gameplay?

Who knows?

Yeah, that "who knows" part is really bothering some people, even me. But like what some people have said before, IF Brawl turns out to be bad, Melee will live on and Nintendo will learn a valuable lesson.

All we can do now is wait and see it for ourselves.

~Life

pirkid

Smash Lord
Sakurai knows what to do. I completly trust that he will give us a better game then Melee.
The one, and probably only, thing I want changed is the tier list. Or more precise, the 'good' characters.
Equality is key to every game. I know that most games have certain characters that are just better, and I'm all for that, but make it so that more characters are not grime on the floor, never to be used unless by a computer.
I mean, come on. Shiek vs Bowser. You already know the outcome. I'm not saying to change, I'm just saying make it so that Bowser can do something.

If they're awfully slow, make them super powered.
If they're good at recovery, make them slower at smashs.
If they're gods, make them...not gods. (You know who.)

That's all I'm asking. Awaiting Brawl with a fire in my mind.

The term 'Wii' is also so that anyone is that world can say it without difficulty, but I like cu00's reason better.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Hell, Marth doesn't even have to DI. He can fair or forward-b. At 7%.
Really? If you're right about that then I appologise for being a ****ing idiot. But I still have my doubts, I really think shiek can chainthrow marth, Ill get back to you if I find a video of it.

I know I can chaingrab most marths I play against with shiek, but they're nowhere near japanese DI skills, they're GOOD marth players, but not pros... so that doesn't prove anything.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
there's no way brawl will suck

if brawl somehow turns out to be "imbalanced" it will be just as hilarious as SSBM is competitive. and i'll get to laugh as the community spirals downhill in a whirling torrent of anger and frustration.

dizzy

Smash Journeyman
My reply to that is this:
You're an idiot. Like I'm trying to cope with all the nub opinions in this thread, but that one takes the cake. Shiek can chainthrow marth at 0% to over 100% with her downthrow before he can get out. And its one of the easiest chainthrows in the game, easier than peaches upthrow on falcon.
So yeah, I think you're about done. You clearly said that Sheik could chain grab Marth to over 100%. You also said you'd provide videos to prove it. You never did, and as you know, you never will, because no intelligent Sheik player will try something as stupid as chain grabbing Marth to 100%.

Once again, if you're going to be an elitist, at least get your facts straight. Until then, don't try to talk down at people who may actually know more than you.

Have a wonderful day.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Really? If you're right about that then I appologise for being a ****ing idiot. But I still have my doubts, I really think shiek can chainthrow marth, Ill get back to you if I find a video of it.

I know I can chaingrab most marths I play against with shiek, but they're nowhere near japanese DI skills, they're GOOD marth players, but not pros... so that doesn't prove anything.
^^

Way to keep beating me over the head even after I admit I'm wrong.

Ok, I was wrong about shieks chainthrow on marth (although I still think she can chaingrab him, at least I can chaingrab a few marths I've played)

Doesn't mean I don't know everything else about this game, try me.

Anyhow, tournament with the best players in Canada tomorrow, If I rank highly than you can all stfu. If I don't then I'll stop being an elitist except to obvious noob bullcrap. Hows that?

Once again, if you're going to be an elitist, at least get your facts straight. Until then, don't try to talk down at people who may actually know more than you.
Gotcha, but thats only about 8-10% of the members here. So many god**** noobs post here It's sad.

dizzy

Smash Journeyman
Way to keep beating me over the head even after I admit I'm wrong.

Ok, I was wrong about shieks chainthrow on marth (although I still think she can chaingrab him, at least I can chaingrab a few marths I've played)

Doesn't mean I don't know everything else about this game, try me.

Anyhow, tournament with the best players in Canada tomorrow, If I rank highly than you can all stfu. If I don't then I'll stop being an elitist except to obvious noob bullcrap. Hows that?
You're missing the point. I don't care if you can five-stock Ken in a three-stock match. You don't know "everything else" about the game--I don't have to "try you" to be able to say that you don't have the combined knowledge of the entire smash community stored in your head. And of course, the fact that you thought Sheik could chain grab ANY character to over 100% tells me that you're probably not half as good as you think.

In two words, humble yourself. If you absolutely insist on being an elitist douchebag, I guess I can't help you. But lord knows the world doesn't need another one.

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
I like you dizzy. Your post makes me smile.

Balance wise; I don't see there being a problem with the game. And to reply to a comment about Metaknight looking broken/ overpowered a few pages back, I wouldn't expect so. Truthfully he probably will be good, but the trailer really wanted to focus on showing some fancy stuff from the new characters more than anyway. None the less, still looks like a prime character.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
. And of course, the fact that you thought Sheik could chain grab ANY character to over 100% tells me that you're probably not half as good as you think.
The only reason I thought she could is because I've DONE it. I suppose it was just due to my friend DIing badly, but he's usually pretty good at DI.

And how good I am will be decided at the tournament, if I win it then I'll be the best in Canada and can be an elitist to my hearts content :chuckle:

Doubt I will though, There's some really skilled players showing up but itll probably be a very fun experience, my goal is top 10, Ill be happy if I reach that goal, and pretty pissed at myself if i dont, I've been training 15+ hours a week for the past 6 months in the hopes of a big tourney and here my chance has arrived.

And even if I don't win the tourney I'm still going to talk down to noobs.

dizzy

Smash Journeyman
You know, maybe you're right. We shouldn't let these CASUAL PLAYERS run rampant on MY SMASHBOARDS, those SILLY NOOBZ with their MOVING STAGES and ITEMS and oh god, PLAYING a VIDEO GAME for FUN (where fun=not competitive, how UNTHINKABLE)! Actually, we should DENY noobz the RIGHT to PLAY the GAME, because ALL OF THEM are a LOST CAUSE! While we're at it, we should stop letting kids READ for PLEASURE because half of them won't become ENGLISH MAJORS ANYWAY, and CUT OFF THEIR LEGS if they refuse to participate in COMPETITIVE POWERWALKING.

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
You know, maybe you're right. We shouldn't let these CASUAL PLAYERS run rampant on MY SMASHBOARDS, those SILLY NOOBZ with their MOVING STAGES and ITEMS and oh god, PLAYING a VIDEO GAME for FUN (where fun=not competitive, how UNTHINKABLE)! Actually, we should DENY noobz the RIGHT to PLAY the GAME, because ALL OF THEM are a LOST CAUSE! While we're at it, we should stop letting kids READ for PLEASURE because half of them won't become ENGLISH MAJORS ANYWAY, and CUT OFF THEIR LEGS if they refuse to participate in COMPETITIVE POWERWALKING.

Priceless. Simply priceless. I want to buy you a drink.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
*Dawns hard hat, sounds alarm*

I guess dizzy wants Dylan to flame him/her. Oh well, you brought whatever you get upon yourself.

P.S. I mean the flame war that will ensue when Dylan or anyone who argees as wholeheartedly as Dylan sees your post.

Justin

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, this thread is becoming more interesting and amusing than watching my fellow employees get *****ed out at by angry old women every day. Please...proceed.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

Beautifully written. Somebody give this person a freakin' Pulitzer Prize. Fun is the most important thing to have in a video game. Without it, well...why the hell are you playing?

And Dylan?

Just shut up, man. I kinda understand where you're coming from, but...chill out and check your ego at the door. You're making a complete *** out of yourself. The proof's in the pudding; I don't need to consistently post quotes, dissect them, and go on any tirades.

As for the topic at hand:

No, I don't think Brawl is going to suck. It may be a different game from Melee, but I don't foresee it devolving into, say, something as primitive as Kumite from Atari (lol). I'm also apathetic to a lack of advanced techniques in the next installment, too. Big whoop if wavedashing is taken out. It's no big, bloody deal. You know why?

Because enterprising players will always find some way to make a good game even better.

There's going to be something, some little easter egg, that always pushes a game's engine to it's limits and sometimes even beyond (the latter being bad, obviously. Glitches are not cool). I can't even begin to list examples; there are just way too many to count (though Melee stands at the top of the list for being the most relevant). Brawl is not going to be an exception to this. Who knows? Maybe the alternative for wavedashing could be a unique method of rolling around (a weak example, but hey. I'm trying)?

I guess we'll find out.

Sensai

Smash Master
Wow. I leave for a day and the entire thread has burst into flames and everyone hates each other.

Guess that's Smashboards, right?

Goodluck to both sides, I'll be watching and throwing in 2 cents here and there.

/sits back and watches **** burn

He pretty much says absolutely everything worth noting.

Also is it not possible that Brawl can be competetive without wavedashing? what if it has something else. No one can tell. No one saw it coming for melee.

Incidentally: Can anyone tell me about when smash started getting really competetive some kind of ballpark
Congratulations for not even posting half-*****,but at the same time say my opinion is wrong without giving a reason why you believe such.

Here's an idea,grow a brain.

Yota

Smash Apprentice
I'm not.
Hell I'm gonna enjoy it as much as I did with Melee!
No matter what they take out or add i'm gonna enjoy it as my best Wii game yet.
I don't give a hell if wavedashing is out cuz that's only for tournaments and all that other junk.
I rather play the ol' easy and fun way: Items and C-sticking.
You see... I would trade away the greatest smash player known to play against a fellow personality like that. Thanks for showing me that I'm not alone, Promethus. :grin:

Interesting article by the way, Overswarm. :)

Neo Samurai

Smash Rookie
Congratulations for not even posting half-*****,but at the same time say my opinion is wrong without giving a reason why you believe such.

Here's an idea,grow a brain.
HEY! I was agreeing with you! It wasnt a typo! I meant you said everything worth pointing out. I know people are used to so many people on message boards sucking at life AND spelling, but that one was in support because I thought that was a really good point.

Incidentally I think this topic ended up 100% proving why Brawl may better than melee. FLAME WARS CAN BE SETTLED ONLINE!

JesterBox

Smash Ace
Change is good, so what we have to learn all over agian if youve got the skills that shouldn't be a problem right? You...do have skills right? People fear thing that are diffrent, Brawl WILL be diffrent.

If you can't evolve with smash you are to slow for smash.

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
Excellent point, JesterBox. The ability to adapt to new situations is a hallmark of any good smasher (at least I think so:) ).

Sensai

Smash Master
Change is good so long as the change isn't a terrible change. That's just a simple definition.

If they took out all advanced techniques, made sure the game was bug/glitch proof, gave it no online, and made Pichu God tier...it would be a bad change.

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
Pichu in God tier wouldn't nessecary be a bad thing
it would be a change for the better OR the worse.
I personally would like less marths with thier high priority.
but it will be online because nintendo is already making a game with garenteed online capabilities.

They arent stupid. Brawl sales would increase a lot as well as DS wi fi adapters if brawl was online.

Justin

Smash Apprentice
Pichu being God Tier would scare me. My friend who I play against the most would go back to maining him and I'd have to listen to that annoying ***, "Pi" about seven hundred times a day again.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
I don't know. but there's something about those trailers that really makes me think that there's something I'm not going to like. It may be just a mental thing though...

The whole, slowing down the game thing kind of makes, me nervous, as well as the whole, taking out wave-dashing thing.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
I'm not worried at all. Let's look at the facts: For one, the team working this game is sure as hell taking their sweet time getting it done. All of those people taking this long to make sure that everything is perfect surely can't result in a bad game. Second, whenever Sakurai actually does make a comment on the game, he always makes it a point to assure us that he is doing everything in his power to make a good game. Relax, people. The game will be great, regardless of whether not your precious wavedash glitch is still in. It's one single (and highly accidental) technique. It's not the end of the world if they fix that particular problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom