• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else is nervous about Brawl potentially sucking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
I will. I was a bit dissapointed to be eliminated so fast despite so much hard work so I freaked out at what was the noobiest post I've ever seen. To actually say if you wavedash you don't have any skill... grr...

But yeah at the tourney I wasnt the worst, I was actually slightly above the average, but nowhere near the top. So I really don't have a right to be as arrogant as I have been. Sorry for coming off as a jerk, if you smashed with me in person youd find Im very helpful to those willing to learn and very very respectful to those who have things to teach me :)
Good man; I'm looking foward to our climactic battle for supremacy and awesomeness.

I respect you owning up to freaking out.

But be proud of what you did in the tourny, its not too shabby at all. Not to mention the pressure of being at a tourny, as opposed to smashing at yer own place. The pressure alone is one hell of a mind game.

The wavedash=no skill was irritating to myself as well, since it does take skill. I just didn't feel like commenting on it is all.:laugh:

Dude! We just agreed on something! WTF!

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
Wavedashing doesnt nessecarily take skill
Applying it to game does.
Anyone can wavedash if they put 1/2 an hour into it.
But if you wavedash in game it deffinantly doesnt mean you suck.

Lishy

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I dont care about wavedashing or any of that ****.for all we know, it might become a offical move since its used to much in offical tourneys

I just want a new super smash bros.Melee isnt the only thing in the world.it would get old and boring.You dont want it to look like games sony makes(Same game, different graphics and some new asm) do you?

I am sure sakurai(I am to used to saying miyamoto >_>) will be able to make somthing completely new and still please us =)

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Personally, I dont care about wavedashing or any of that ****.for all we know, it might become a offical move since its used to much in offical tourneys

I just want a new super smash bros.Melee isnt the only thing in the world.it would get old and boring.You dont want it to look like games sony makes(Same game, different graphics and some new asm) do you?

I am sure sakurai(I am to used to saying miyamoto >_>) will be able to make somthing completely new and still please us =)

Well brawl offers players like myself who just arent quite up to snuff in melee a chance to become tournament winning calibur by playing it from the month it comes out rather than 3 years late like I was on melee.

I hope theres new stuff, but I hope that alot of the things I loved from melee are still in there, namely air dodging and wavedashing.

Im looking forward to a completly new set of characters and move sets for the existing characters, new weights, new tractions, new speeds, new jumps and jump heights and ****. And even new techs as long as theyre not extremly useful, but easy to do so that noob ****s can do them with ease. The reason melee was so succesful as a tourney game and still is today was the degree of difficulty it took to become completly amazing at it.

Im sure itll all work out fine though, noobs from melee will still be noobs in brawl since they have scrub mindsets like ''Edgehogging is cheap'' and pros will adapt to the game with realative ease and improve like the monsters they are in the years to come.

I hear a lot of the existing pros from melee are beginning to grow tired with the game aswell, namely isai and ken, so maybe itll give a chance to a whole new generation of smashers to rise to the top.

Justin

Smash Apprentice
(sigh)
A few things.
1)If you think Brawl will suck because it will be different, shut up. Oh No, I have to learn how to play the game. I kniow that if Brawl is different(and I know inone way or another it will be) then thats a good think. Making the same game over again is bad. You'll probobly play it more if there arte some changes. Change is good.
2)Wavedash need to die. If you wavedash, you have no skill. Your manipulating a cheap glitch. Oh look at me, you can't hit me. That is G-A-Y gay. I think with crawling it will be gone. It's like snaking in Mario Kart DS. It works but ruins the game. Items are useless, and only 3 characters are any good.
3)
You think that playing professionally is "Real Smash". I'm sorry for Flamnming, but your "Real Dumb". In fact, 1v1s, no items, stock on one or two courses(usually Final Destonation) is NOt real smash. Items is smash. Courses is smash. Crazy frantic multiplayer matches is smash. You've lost touch with real smash. The entire game is desided around 4player matches with items on a course. They way it's played in tournaments is a long shot from "real Smash"

This shows how disconnected pros are from the real game. Also, if you think Nintendo and Sora really care about you guys, they don't. Actually, let me rephrase that. They don't care about you, compaired to all the "nubs" who use items. There top priority. They'll screw you in the proses so they can have fun, because they are playing smash the way it was intened.

I'll end with a quote from a wise man.

Woah Billy, I'm not trying to get involved in the "he says she says" and the "noob" calling business, but saying that people who wavedash and use it effectively have no skill...sounds like you're talking out of your ***. Opinion or not...that's a dumb thing to say. I'm not going to sit here and ask you if you wavedash or not because I could really give two ****s if you do or don't, but don't say people who wavedash effectively, use advanced techs and/or go to tournaments have no skill. I mean...did you read your post after typing? I'm not going to call you a "noob" or an idiot or anything like that because I understand that there are people who want to play the game without advanced techs, with items, 10+ stock and all other sorts of ****. It's your game so go ahead, but don't sit there and say stuff that doesn't make any sense. All I'm going to say is it takes more skill to use advanced techniques and mindgames than just jumping around spamming smash attacks and throwing items at your opponents the entire match. Whether you choose to play like that is up to you. I think it's fine and have no problem with it, but don't sit there and say our way of playing takes no skill. It makes absolutely no sense...

You could've said, "Well your way of playing isn't as fun as mine" and maybe then...just maybe, your post would've had atleast a little merit and even then it would be debated. There is no one "Real Smash". It depends on the person and how they choose to play the game. It's different for everyone. Remember that, Billy.

Adi

Smash Lord
If Wavedashing didn't take any skill that would mean the playing field between noobs and pros would be equal since could do it. That would mean we wouldn't be having this conversation because removing wavedashing would have an equal effect on all players.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I seriously need some competition down here.

I went to the arcade yesterday and owned everyone I played, with and without items in FFA. I know you are going to say 'it doesn't take skill to win FFAs' but I can tell whether or not I can beat someone when it boils down to a 1 vs 1. I can barely L-cancel, WD, CC, DI or JC but I still manage to dominate most players.

All I need to do is get a Wii or GC so I can practice again and then I'll be that much closer to being the best Smasher here.

P.S. The population here is around 275,00 people. Gaming isn't big down here and Nintendo's fanbase here is even smaller so there aren't much people left for smash. This means it's highly possible to be at least in the top 50.

All I need now is a big tournament to gather the 'best smashers' so I can realy gauge how good I am.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I can barely L-cancel, WD, CC, DI or JC but I still manage to dominate most players.

All I need now is a big tournament to gather the 'best smashers' so I can realy gauge how good I am.

Chances are you're not very good at all. I can do all the above mentioned tactics with my eyes closed, I can beat about half of the people at tourneys, but compared to the best players im 3 stock material. I suck.

Big Burn

Smash Lord
believe me if u can barely l cancel, whenever u play some players with at least some moderate skill.... ur are going to go in for a serious shock

Justin

Smash Apprentice
I seriously doubt the playing field would be equal between pros and....amateurs if wavedashing was taken out. WDing isn't the backbone of most of the pros' gameplay. It helps in general and with mindgames, but you could match a pro up against a noo.....amateur (ahem) in a best of 50 series and the pro would still win every match even if they didn't wavedash. There are so many other techniques and approaches they could use to win a match. So the playing field would not be equal...

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I seriously doubt the playing field would be equal between pros and....amateurs if wavedashing was taken out. WDing isn't the backbone of most of the pros' gameplay. It helps in general and with mindgames, but you could match a pro up against a noo.....amateur (ahem) in a best of 50 series and the pro would still win every match even if they didn't wavedash. There are so many other techniques and approaches they could use to win a match. So the playing field would not be equal...

True. you could WD to your hearts content and tell a good smasher to not wd and hed still 4 stock you if you were noob.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Dylan_Tnga, some advice...
1)Chill out
2)Open your mind.

I apoligize as I was a bit harsh, but you must remeber theres more out there. I'm an advoccate for fun. Sure, it's fun to do some 1v1s on FD, but not for 10+ hours.

Also, I'll say it again. Wavedashing is no skill. It removes most of the skill from the game. It's just cheap, and make the tier list. Without it, most characters are balanced to the point that there is no tier. If I wanted to, I could learn to wavedash. But, why? I snaked in Mario Kart. The problem wwas anyone who can't snake will disconnect, and anyone who does will beat you down. And with Brawl online, I assum the same thing will happen with wavedashing(iif it's in there). In fact, turn on the items, and eliminate the wavedashing and theres a lot of people (including yourself) will lose.Play on a different course, one not in many tournamantes and you'd lose(maybe).

Also, people who play with items aren't nubs. There is a lot of untapped skill with items. Catching them for instance.

So yeah, open your mind. Theres more ways to play Melee. It's a multiplayer game. Maybe you'll turn items on, chose a fun course(like Cornaria, Temple or even Mushroom Kingdom), grap 3 friends(or CPUs) and just go all out. Try it.

Adi

Smash Lord
That was sorta what I was trying to say, I guess I didn't word it properly <<

Adi

Smash Lord
Also, I'll say it again. Wavedashing is no skill. It removes most of the skill from the game. It's just cheap, and make the tier list. Without it, most characters are balanced to the point that there is no tier.
Completely and utterly wrong, wavedash actually helps balance out some characters (Luigi, IC). It overpowers some, but the idea that without it the game would completely balanced shows your lack of understanding of the game.

If I wanted to, I could learn to wavedash.
Then learn it, and then comment on the amount of skill and how overpowered Wavedashing is. Stop pulling facts out of your a**.

But, why? I snaked in Mario Kart. The problem wwas anyone who can't snake will disconnect, and anyone who does will beat you down. And with Brawl online, I assum the same thing will happen with wavedashing(iif it's in there).
Once again, completely and utterly wrong. Snaking and wavedashing are completely different things. Snaking is the only "pro" technique and has a huge effect on who will win the game. Wavedashing isn't the only thing in a pros move list. Without it I guarantee you that any pro will be able to beat an amatuer.

In fact, turn on the items, and eliminate the wavedashing and theres a lot of people (including yourself) will lose.Play on a different course, one not in many tournamantes and you'd lose(maybe).
See my above statement.

Also, people who play with items aren't nubs. There is a lot of untapped skill with items. Catching them for instance.
That's true, but there's no luck involved in where the hammer lands eh?

So yeah, open your mind. Theres more ways to play Melee. It's a multiplayer game. Maybe you'll turn items on, chose a fun course(like Cornaria, Temple or even Mushroom Kingdom), grap 3 friends(or CPUs) and just go all out. Try it.
There certainly are more ways to play Melee, but why should Nintendo REDUCE the ways in which Smash Bros should be played.

~Adi

Red Exodus

Smash Master
believe me if u can barely l cancel, whenever u play some players with at least some moderate skill.... ur are going to go in for a serious shock
Lol, I already beat most of the people I've played, good and bad, so unless all of the good players are hiding under a rock somewhere I doubt I'm in for much of a shock.

Just remember gaming is very low key here. Normally I hear people talk about games once in a while and when they do they don't know ****. I just grin and bare.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
1)Chill out
2)Open your mind.

I apoligize as I was a bit harsh, but you must remeber theres more out there. I'm an advoccate for fun. Sure, it's fun to do some 1v1s on FD, but not for 10+ hours.
You *****' idiot. When did I say I only played FD? I would get owned on platforms. Stop assuming things to enhance a point you don't even have to begin with.

Also, I'll say it again. Wavedashing is no skill. It removes most of the skill from the game. It's just cheap, and make the tier list. Without it, most characters are balanced to the point that there is no tier. If I wanted to, I could learn to wavedash. But, why? I snaked in Mario Kart. The problem wwas anyone who can't snake will disconnect, and anyone who does will beat you down. And with Brawl online, I assum the same thing will happen with wavedashing(iif it's in there). In fact, turn on the items, and eliminate the wavedashing and theres a lot of people (including yourself) will lose.Play on a different course, one not in many tournamantes and you'd lose(maybe).
Stop comparing Melee to mario kart. Annnnd you're completly wrong. I bet your parents dropped you a few times as a child.

No, not everyone who plays with items are noobs. People who think items should be in tourneys are noobs. Catching items happens in any vs link or vs peach matchup ANYWAY.

I bet a cat could 4 stock you.

Red Exodus said:
Lol, I already beat most of the people I've played, good and bad, so unless all of the good players are hiding under a rock somewhere I doubt I'm in for much of a shock.
Dude just because there are no good players in your area doesn't mean that without L canceling you could beat me, or any other smash player who takes this game seriously. Not trying to insult you, but its a harsh truth, your lag would get punished beyond recognition.

Sensai

Smash Master
Red Exodus, I like you being so calm when Dylan's seemingly trying to entice you into a flame war...

Dylan, he never said he could beat you. He never said he could beat anyone of us here, he merely stated that he needs more people down where he lives to play against him. And 'good' is a relative term, or at least in this situation. He's 'good' for where he lives, where as other places, he might not be as good, no offense meant, Ex.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Red Exodus, I like you being so calm when Dylan's seemingly trying to entice you into a flame war...
Not true, I totally told him to take no offense as I wasn't trying to insult him. I guess I did misinterpret him a little though. I wasn't trying to start a flame war with him, smashchu however Id love to egg on so he can post some more ridiculously stupid and hilarious opinions.

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
Wavedashing doesnt nessecarily take skill
Applying it to game does.
Anyone can wavedash if they put 1/2 an hour into it.
But if you wavedash in game it deffinantly doesnt mean you suck.
That's more of what I meant to say. The art of learning it does take a small amount of skill as well though, or at least good reflexes. But you're right, it's the application of it that takes the true skill.

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Even if the game did suck, I would still play it. And I know all of my friends here would play it to. That's all I gotta say...Peace!

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
1)Chill out
2)Open your mind.

No offense, but:

A. He has been chillin. Quote from Dylan: So I really don't have a right to be as arrogant as I have been. Sorry for coming off as a jerk, if you smashed with me in person youd find Im very helpful to those willing to learn and very very respectful to those who have things to teach me.
B. Your the one that's been attacking him, hence the return comments, which are justified.
C. Pressing a when an item is in front of you doesn't take skill, nor does pressing z when your flying through the air to grab an item. It takes timing.
Maybe you should play him sometime and learn something new, like how to not be a completefool when you think that without wd'ing, pros are out of the game. There's alot more tech's that pros use, not just the wd.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
LiSTEN.

foirst, smash was originally made for family fun, some good times. look what we did lol-- but they ARE going to make thing for family fun, its no soul calibur 3.

second, there is gonna be new things in brawl, but not things we expect. people are thinking
about air throws, naruto (WTF), and some other dumb stuff. no, theres going to be something else, remember what happened when melee was made? hey look, i can avoid stuff in the air! now its turned into wavedashing, and a bunch of crazy stuff. look for new thing like that air dodge.

maybe a new tech?
air powershield?
new jump height?

trust me, if they take stuff out, theyll put stuff in, and we'll exploit that like crazy. the world repeats.

third, sakurai knows about the smash community. hes gonna consider the wavedashing thing. (oT, i would get more mad if they took out shorthops, i could do without wavedashing)

(/rant) sorry had to get that out.

ps, someone shorthopped in the trailer xDD

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
LiSTEN.

foirst, smash was originally made for family fun, some good times. look what we did lol-- but they ARE going to make thing for family fun, its no soul calibur 3.

second, there is gonna be new things in brawl, but not things we expect. people are thinking
about air throws, naruto (WTF), and some other dumb stuff. no, theres going to be something else, remember what happened when melee was made? hey look, i can avoid stuff in the air! now its turned into wavedashing, and a bunch of crazy stuff. look for new thing like that air dodge.

maybe a new tech?
air powershield?
new jump height?

trust me, if they take stuff out, theyll put stuff in, and we'll exploit that like crazy. the world repeats.

third, sakurai knows about the smash community. hes gonna consider the wavedashing thing. (oT, i would get more mad if they took out shorthops, i could do without wavedashing)

Yeah, short hopping > Wavedashing for SURE. SHFFLING is the staple skill of any good player.

I don't like your idea of ''air shielding'' would make avoiding throw comboes or just getting out of a good aeriel combo too easy... Thats why the air dodge was invented in the first place so I hope they keep that in, and if they keep that in wavedashing will probably still work since its just a display of Melee's perfect physics.

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
LiSTEN.

there is gonna be new things in brawl, but not things we expect. people are thinking
about air throws
, naruto (WTF), and some other dumb stuff. no, theres going to be something else, remember what happened when melee was made? hey look, i can avoid stuff in the air! now its turned into wavedashing, and a bunch of crazy stuff. look for new thing like that air dodge.

maybe a new tech?
air powershield?
new jump height?

Exactimundo! If they take out wd'ing (I hope they don't...), then their bound to replace it, as it is an integrated tech, but not the most important. The air grab: No. Just no. throwing down when over the edge would make it too cheap. In another thread someone mentioned that air grabs should stay exclusive(CF, Bowser, and Ganondorf). I agree. and about removing short hop, they better not...

Sensai

Smash Master
Dylan, the later point about you wanting to 'to egg on [smashchu] so he can post some more ridiculously stupid and hilarious opinions.' made me laugh. Thanks.

And while I would be sad to see WDing go, I would be much much more sad if they took out the shorthop. But, they won't. They won't take that, or L-Cancelling, out. Nor will they take out Crouch Cancelling. Probably not dash dancing, either.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Dylan, the later point about you wanting to 'to egg on [smashchu] so he can post some more ridiculously stupid and hilarious opinions.' made me laugh. Thanks.

Haha you're the nicest poster I've ever met, you compliment everyone. I cant wait to play some matches with you online :chuckle:

Justin

Smash Apprentice
If they took out short hopping (which they won't)...I'd cry like a little school girl, no doubt.

Anyway, come on now people...someone post something to get Dylan fired up about and have another flame session. Let's keep it interesting.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
Anyway, come on now people...someone post something to get Dylan fired up about and have another flame session. Let's keep it interesting.
uhh...ok, ill try. umm...oh, hey, look at that guy, he just joined, he must be a noob. haha.
ok, that should do it.

but seriously people, just trust in nintendo, they already brought you melee...they arent going to mess up. they didnt just randomly draw names from a hat and get sakurai (spelling?) to make the game...so dont worry about it. its not going to change from you freaking out about it. just wait for it to get here.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
If they took out short hopping (which they won't)...I'd cry like a little school girl, no doubt.

Yeah come on, I lack fuel here. Keep it comming noobs.

non existent noob that Dylan just made up said:
Jumping is so cheap. All my friends do it and whenever they do I kick them out of my house. I cant believe how *****' cheap jumping is, and some of my friends have this hack where they can jump in the air. Everyone knows gravity wouldnt let you do that. Hax. Jumping is a glitch and I hope it gets taken out in brawl

zerosin

Smash Apprentice
Jumping is so cheap. All my friends do it and whenever they do I kick them out of my house. I cant believe how *****' cheap jumping is, and some of my friends have this hack where they can jump in the air. Everyone knows gravity wouldnt let you do that. Hax. Jumping is a glitch and I hope it gets taken out in brawl
Just to add a little funny tidbit - my friend actually said "how can you jump off of air" when she saw me use my second jump with some character (I think I was marth). Then she saw me play falco against a fox and didn't get how animals could fight and shoot lasers and talk. I guess brunette is the new blond.

Seth'White Fox'

Smash Journeyman
Inbewteen Corneria, Midgar, Mushroom kingdom, and
You know, maybe you're right. We shouldn't let these CASUAL PLAYERS run rampant on MY SMASHBOARDS, those SILLY NOOBZ with their MOVING STAGES and ITEMS and oh god, PLAYING a VIDEO GAME for FUN (where fun=not competitive, how UNTHINKABLE)! Actually, we should DENY noobz the RIGHT to PLAY the GAME, because ALL OF THEM are a LOST CAUSE! While we're at it, we should stop letting kids READ for PLEASURE because half of them won't become ENGLISH MAJORS ANYWAY, and CUT OFF THEIR LEGS if they refuse to participate in COMPETITIVE POWERWALKING.

...I love you...

*Shakes head*

Woah snap outta it Seth,

Anyway, I'd like to thank those members who are still talking about being nervious or not, ya know sence it is a thred about that, but those of you still mindlessly debateing about wavedashing please please PLEASE! Find a wave dashing forum. This is the last time I'll say it before I start reporting people to mods.

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
Man Dylan, you must admit though, jumping is cheap. So don't bad mouth the random made up noob you created. Geez, next yer gonna get at me for saying that damaging the opponent is cheap.:psycho:

Shorthopping, I can't see it being taken out. Simply because most things in smash incorporate the use of sesitivity and timing more than anything. Hense, ftilts, fsmash and whatnot. So shorthopping being taken out, when its even in the original mario? I don't see it happening.

I still believe wavedashing will be implimented as a new form of a dodge though.

So I think that should clear up the nervousness of some people, since that seems to be the topic that is springing the most fear.

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
wait, are we still discussing the subject of brawl sucking or is this now a spamming thread? i'm lost O_o
It went from brawl sucking, to spamming, to more spamming, to brawl sucking, to spamming and back to brawl sucking again. It seems that people are mostly afraid of lack of techs more than anything, and that has sprung into the current topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom