• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else is nervous about Brawl potentially sucking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Oh my gosh, Sakurai is a genius. This is going to make modded controllers online a waste of time. I can't imagine how I would change the configuration... I'll have to prepare for that one.

What I really hope is that you can't simplify a combination of buttons by assigning them to a single button. (ie. press X to WD or Y to do your UpB recovery)
I doubt it, personally.

Smash's control scheme is far too simple for anything that complex. I know, it's inane reasoning but this isn't Street Fighter (by the way, RDK, the only Street Fighter-isque game that I can think of that allows you to map your special moves was the Gamecube version of Capcom vs. SNK 2. If you select a particular mode of play, it automatically delegates special moves and supers to the C-stick. In my opinion, having to flick my thumb over the C-stick to do specials was tougher than me putting in the actual commands) or Guilty Gear (if I remember correctly, console iterations of GG allowed the player to map three of the buttons required to do a Roman Cancel on to one button---which, in most cases, ends up being one of the useless shoulder buttons on the PS2 controller). Smash is simple: A attacks, B (in conjunction with the cardinal directions of Up, Down, Left, and Right) activates your special, R dodges and/or brings up the shield, and Y jumps. There's no "light punch, medium punch, or hard punch" button in this game (unless you want to count the tilts and smashes as such), so programming a button to do your tilts and smashes is out of the question because the regular moves in this game are heavily dependent on the joystick and not just simple button presses. Same with the B moves and for wavedashing.

However, we're not in Sakurai and Company's collective minds. Who knows?

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
Oh my gosh, Sakurai is a genius. This is going to make modded controllers online a waste of time. I can't imagine how I would change the configuration... I'll have to prepare for that one.

What I really hope is that you can't simplify a combination of buttons by assigning them to a single button. (ie. press X to WD or Y to do your UpB recovery)

What's with this idea of assigning WD to a button? It's not possible. WD requires a two-step input. On top of that, you'll wavedash a different distance depending on what angle you hold the analog stick.

It's not just the fact that it requires two separate inputs. Those two inputs happen at different times. Unless you can make two things happen at different times by pressing one button...doesn't seem plausible to me. Especially since the amount of time between those two inputs changes depending on the character.

Anyway, I was wondering...if Sakurai and Co. are creating custom control options...doesn't it seem like that sort of thing would be near the end of the "to-do" list? Does this mean they are done with all the game mechanics, character movesets, stages, etc. ? I keep on getting the feeling that something good will be shown at E3.

Adi

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm getting this warm fuzzy feeling about E3 too =0.

This update is probably one of the best yet, hopefully it keeps getting better as Sakurai runs out of confirmed things to reiterate as updates.

As for the customized button configurations, I'm probably going to stick with the original just because I'm so **** used to it T_T.

SuperLinkBrothers

Smash Ace
Okay, Brawl, in my oppinion, I repeat IN MY OPPINION, Brawl could NEVER suck!

Oh, and what is the new update, I don't get it untill 11 ;00 p.m. and for me it's only 11:12 a.m.
I can't wait 12 hours, someone tell me!

The banana Peel is a lame joke though!

Adi

Smash Lord
No updates are universal, unless you live on like Mars or something =P. Check smashbros.com now, they have the update up.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I could care less about WaveDashing. Bloody... what is it with you people and WaveDashing.
*insert flame*

(i'd like to know, is Dylan the only one planning on boycotting Brawl if it doesn't have WaveDashing?)
OMG.

*flame*

And... no actually ive heard of other people with the same views on brawl as me. Not many though, Im not claiming this to be a popular trend.

It's one little glitch (and yes, you can very well tell it was a glitch) that will probably be debugged in Brawl. So what? You're depriving yourself of something that has the potential to be even greater than Melee
It wasn't / is not a glitch, look up landfallspecial in debug mode. Also realize that if wding were a big glitch, before PAL version came out, they knew about wavelanding at the very least. I mean the game was probably tested and tested and tested and you don't think someone tried airdodging into the ground? Hell I bet thats one of the first things they tested about airdodging to ensure there was no -stuck-in-the-ground- type GLITCH and something that made sense like the momentum carrying forward into a special dash. No it wasn't mentioned in the HOW TO PLAY (improperly) at the beginning of the game, but neither was L cancelling or Fastfalling so... :p

*Dylan_Tnga said that for the 90000000th time*
*Dylan_Tnga leveled up*
*Dylan_Tnga learned : Flame attack

(and ya, Melee wasn't, repeat: WASN'T perfect. To many clones, among other things. Addiciting as it is, it isn't perfect :p).

:mad: ----> means I'm angry. grrrrrr.

And nobody blood well better not start flaming me for saying that.
Too late!!! too late! now die!

hahahahahhaha

Figures, I leave for a few days and you start talking about wavedashing without me :p

Meh I wont be on for a little bit, might be a few days or something, dont really know. See you all later.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Dylan rocks!!!!
Brawl without WDing=$uX0r$

Yaaaay, Dylan. I want to level up too......:cry:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Dylan rocks!!!!
Brawl without WDing=$uX0r$

Yaaaay, Dylan. I want to level up too......:cry:
*mario-man reached 522 posts*
*mario-man got 677 exp poitns
*mario-man got 250 gold points*
*mario-man Learned skill : Off topic vortex (only usuable in this thread)
*mario-man Learned Chant : this thread won't die, japanese DI! : level 3

mario-man

Smash Lord
Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!

THIS THREAD WON'T DIE!!!!!!! JAPANESE DI!!!

*chant activates------Off Topic Vortex------*

Paintball rulez!!! It is the best sport that you can possibly play while in the woods.

*Damage done to topic--------- 50 HP*

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
Y34HDUD3!!! uses DarkEternal! Mario-man dies!!

Well, it's time to put up some CT pics up:

Download at will. Impressive artwork, isn't it?

Hopefully I'll manage to make a siggy with the Crono one.

On another topic: I'm an apprentice!!!

And I'm going to Aruba next week!!1!!11!111!!!!!

mario-man

Smash Lord
You don't have an attack.......................Sooooooooo not fair!!!!

I earned mine.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
if the advanced techniques like L-cancelling and teching is taken out the game in my opinion the will suck. this is what seperates the pros from the amateurs and it will dissapoint me alot f it is taken out

chester

Smash Rookie
"More enhancements, more bells and whistles. More features, like online play. Like the Xbox Live Arcade version. True, the edition of Street Fighter II currently being enjoyed by 360 gamers isn't perfect, plagued as it is by lag and other frustrating failings..."

http://wii.ign.com/articles/755/755897p1.html

I stumbled upon this while looking for the SFII Turbo VC Review (not posted yet unfortunately). Some people are insanely excited about Brawl simply for the online possibilities. If a very participatory active online model like Xbox Live is having trouble with lag for SFII (the original, not Turbo), how can we expect a clean lag free experience?

Don't get me wrong, I trust Nintendo and yes I understand there is already a thread concerning latency during online play....

I just don't want the online play to "suck"...some smashers are banking their potential enjoyment of Brawl almost entirely on online play

mario-man

Smash Lord
THIS THREAD WON'T DIE!!!!!! JAPANESE DI!!!!

I wish I had 1 million dollars.

*Damage done to topic---------69 HP*

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
Y34HDUD3!!! uses Flare! Mario-man's hair is on fire!!!

Y34HDUD3!!! gains 30000 exp. points! Y34HDUD3!!! levels up!

Learns Super Volt!

Edit: there's no topic, remember?

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
No way I can go to oc3 Eternal phoenix Fire. :(

Still waiting for the vids. I know I have a one track mind. lol

I wish I had super cool attacks like mario-man's (though I swear he had that attack already looking at his other posts). lol

mario-man

Smash Lord
THIS THREAD WON'T DIE!!!!!! JAPANESE DI!!!!

NESn00b is now granted 1 level up---Topic Destroyer Whirlwind---

*Damage done to topic---------100 HP squared*

Adi

Smash Lord
WTF you guys get special attacks and leave me out =(.

*Turns into Smithy (form 2) from Super Mario RPG*

Fear me and my malleable head!

*Transforms head into Tank and nukes this thread with a golden bullet bill*

Damage Done to Topic: 9001

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Adding on to my earlier reply about them potentially adding a really crappy whatever to the game, ruining it...my biggest worry about that, after careful reflection, is about Samus turning into Zamus. My fear is they'll make it really lame, like if Samus takes too much damage she transforms or something like that. I, personally, wouldn't like that as I have recently become quite attached to Samus, and to force someone play her to change playstyles so suddenly like that would SUCK.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Adding on to my earlier reply about them potentially adding a really crappy whatever to the game, ruining it...my biggest worry about that, after careful reflection, is about Samus turning into Zamus. My fear is they'll make it really lame, like if Samus takes too much damage she transforms or something like that. I, personally, wouldn't like that as I have recently become quite attached to Samus, and to force someone play her to change playstyles so suddenly like that would SUCK.
yeah that would suck *** because saumis is a great character, and if she cant superwavedash, then wtf **** that.

And im -sure- theyll make them both accesible in vs mode. I can feel it.

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
Y34HDUD3!!! Chooses Ayla! Ayla attacks!
Critical Hit!!! 9999 dmg to the non-existing topic!!!
Ok, that's enough.

AxemRed uses Hallation. Now you all have 1 HP *evil laugh*

What's that? You have a megalixir? No problem!

AxemRed uses Hallation...again.

AxemRed uses stopga.

AxemRed equips Super Suit/Attack Scarf/Lazy Shell combo.

AxemRed charges Lazy Shell Pinball.

Thread looks on in shock.

AxemRed unnecessarily uses hallation a third time, then finishes with Lazy Shell Pinball.

And...now everyone's dead. ...whoops.

AxemRed uses Fortify Staff.

AxemRed turns into Bowyer, fires arrows at all three buttons, and calls it a day, threatening all who oppose him with Mani Katti Mayhem.

There. That should last us for a while. Now, back to the nonexistent topic.

Almost all of the information we know from the trailers has been posted on the official site. I'm getting a good feeling about E3.

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
Me too, I expect alot from E3... Only 2 moar weeks left!!!

Y34HDUD3!!! uses super volt! Axem's computer asplodes!
But you can't use special attacks...that was the reason I used Bowyer's skill of shooting arrows at buttons X_X...ah well. You asked for it.

AxemRed uses Lunairetic.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
battle of the chrono freaks.

*Dylan sneaks in an ice sword 2 and as a result of being so awesome leaves the thread with 4 imaginary babes a joint and a sword*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom