• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else is nervous about Brawl potentially sucking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Framerate

Smash Lord
My sig is the best.

And Brawl will only suck to people who insist it has to play exactly the same as Melee, cause it won't.

I want all the returning characters to play differently, thus completing the new game experience. Will I laugh at those who complain they have to relearn (main)?

Yes, yes I will.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Brawl can suck [okay, before someone jumps on me, this is referring to replayability] if it becomes too simple, because when games get simple they aren't as good for replay value. At the same time if Brawl becomes too complex it can also suck.

I was going to elaborate but for some reason I don't feel like it anymore, maybe it's the smell of my hot dogs in the kitchen, or maybe it's the sound of Ash [Orpheus ftw!!] blazing in my ears, but I just don't feel like it, maybe I will later.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
Well, i doubt wavedashing will be taken out, but i don't support it. Personally, using a glitch to make you better is kind of cheap.

The people who defend it our obviously the ones who can do it, and are afraid if it's taken out, they will suck.

I'm not flaming, but i don't see why wavedashing is the greatest thing, and if it was taken out it would ruin the game.

Oh, and this game will defiantly not suck, that's a fact. Do not worry, it's common sense, so far it looks epic.

Burninator

Smash Journeyman
I just worried it will be watered down and they will make it much easier like they did with TP.
From playing the GCN version, I realized Zelda was no easier than any other Zelda game, the motion controls just made it that way. And since Brawl most likely won't be getting motion controls (It was mentioned ages ago, because they didn't want to kill the "feel" of the Smash series), it hopefully won't suffer that fate.

Though I do remember hearing something about changing the speed of the game, hopefully it won't be drastically slowed, or something stupid like that.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Well, i doubt wavedashing will be taken out, but i don't support it. Personally, using a glitch to make you better is kind of cheap.

The people who defend it our obviously the ones who can do it, and are afraid if it's taken out, they will suck.

I'm not flaming, but i don't see why wavedashing is the greatest thing, and if it was taken out it would ruin the game.

Oh, and this game will defiantly not suck, that's a fact. Do not worry, it's common sense, so far it looks epic.
If you ask me, wavedashing, along with the other well known and used advanced techniques are why this site is up, are why there are tournaments still going, and why this game is still alive. And saying stuff like WDing is cheap will definitely hold you back on any tournament scene or and competitive game. I believe there's an article on it somewhere.

I can wavedash, and if it's taken out I'll be pissed for sure, but I won't be afraid I'll suck.

And you last line is not a fact, it's an opinion. You don't need common sense to see Brawl will be great [I'm not saying it's great, I like to count my chickens after they hatch], you just need lots of optimism [sp?].

Erk Aduro

Smash Apprentice

I would just like to say that I cannot wavedash, but I defend it. Wavedashing is important, and all one has to do is watch a match between real pros who use wavedashing effectively. It increases your mobility, gives you more options to attack, is a good alternative to normal dashing for some characters, and when used effectively, great for mindgames. If I ever took on someone who could effectively wavedash, I'd be at disadvantage. They put more work into the game, learning an advanced technique that I have neglected, so they get an advantage. Simple as that.

Calling using a glitch cheap? L Canceling was glitch in the first game if I recall correctly. Besides, anyone can learn to wavedash, so it's not even all that cheap. In my opinion, a move that's cheap is really just a move that works well.

Anyway, if wavedashing is taken out it won't effect me much, but I imagine it'll cramp a few players' games. It's certainly not game breaking, but I think the developers will come up with a nice compromise to make everyone (mostly) happy anyway. :)

Adi

Smash Lord
/sigh, wavedashing is not a technique that can be used mindlessly and help you win. I've fought people who just decided to look flashy and WD over the place and caught an f-smash to the face, and I've also fought people who hardly use it all but still do decently against me. Wavedashing enhances your gameplay rather than improves it. It allows more options for attacks and defense but it doesn't hand them to you on a silver platter, you have to know how to use it and when to use it.

Trust me Meta, the people who wavedash now will still own you even if every advanced technique is taken out in the next game if you have the mentality that "_______ technique is cheap". It's the mind of a scrub and scrubs never win.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
TP iw watered down compared to what? Every 3D Zelda game seemed easier to me. Maybe compared to Zelda 2, TP seems too easy. >_>
The combat in TP was ridiculously easy. You can just mash B and win every fight. Bosses die in three hits.

Remember that fish boss in MM? That dude was mean.

NukeA6

Smash Master
The combat in TP was ridiculously easy. You can just mash B and win every fight. Bosses die in three hits.

Bosses die in 3 hits? It sure took more than that to beat the first boss let alone the second, third, fourth, and the rest of them.

The bosses in MM (except that tribal warrior) were something else though. Wish we had more of those.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b

I hate all water bosses anyways. Combat has always been easy. In fact, all Zelda games are too easy. Nintendo should make Zelda games as hard as Kid Icarus. That game had the right difficulty level in my opinion.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

Shudder.

Kid Icarus is, and this is coming from a guy who enjoys difficult games, incredibly hard. I don't think Zelda should be quite that hard.

Although, I also don't think that Zelda should be what it is right now. If they bumped it back up to the 2D Zelda difficulty, I think I'd be fine with it. Also, they need a deeper storyline....maybe now that they have Monolith Soft (from the fame of Xenosaga) with them, it'll get better.

Probably not, but still hoping.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
^^^

Shudder.

Kid Icarus is, and this is coming from a guy who enjoys difficult games, incredibly hard. I don't think Zelda should be quite that hard.

Although, I also don't think that Zelda should be what it is right now. If they bumped it back up to the 2D Zelda difficulty, I think I'd be fine with it. Also, they need a deeper storyline....maybe now that they have Monolith Soft (from the fame of Xenosaga) with them, it'll get better.

Probably not, but still hoping.
I liked Kid Icarus difficulty even if it had a weird difficulty progression. :( Definitely got easier in the end. If Nintendo just flips the difficulty progression, I think the game would be fine.

TP had at least character development this time. Having a better story in their future games would definitely improve the series.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah IMO, Link to the Past was perfect difficulty.
^^^^ Yea, but Zelda II's difficulty was awsome=ownage! TP was easy in terms of enemies, but the dungeons were the most complex and amazing since ALTTP, the controls were awsome, and the story was the best in the series.

MM had awsome bosses, and I remeber beating the last boss for the first time ,in my first try. Had just 2 hearts left (only had 8=I like a challenge), but at least the bosses weren't as weak as Shadow (or Dark) Link in Zelda II!

*spoilers*, at least if you plan on playing Zelda II and want the last boss to be somewhat challenging. ;) Definitely a challenging game!

When facing Dark Link, go to the left corner, stab up and down, and he stupidly runs into it! Then after a while he dies, you beat the game, etc. O well, at least the boss before it was pretty hard=super hard bosses excpet for the last boss in ZeldaII! Plus navigating through the last dungeon you get lost sooooo much, and the road to the last dungeon is annoyingly hard!

@ NukeA6
The 2nd boss was hard, the 3rd was sorta challeging, the 4th was easy, the last was the hardest. Well, the 1st guy was actually the hardest for me the first time, because all those random noises he made cracked me up! I couldn't fight him, so my friend had to beat it for me=funny! :chuckle:

@ Sensai
So long as it isn't Zelda II difficulty. This is coming from someone who beat it, but the 3D Zeldas definitely should be harder. Zelda II took me soooooo long to beat=hard, but worth it=great game. Or even better, if the Zelda games have a difficulty setting, from easy (WW), normal (OOT, MM), and hard (ALTTP, tLOZ). Still, I think the next console Zelda will be harder (IMO TP was harder than WW, except in bosses), hopefully at least a OOT or MM difficulty, or almost at that level.

@ NES n00b
*cough* Zelda II! :laugh:

Sensai

Smash Master
I don't do speed runs...haha. I'm convinced that if I tried to do them, I'd end up hating the game that I did it for.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Speed runs for certain games are a good idea--games that can be completed in reasonably short spans. Doing a 90 minute speed run just isn't much of a speed run, however fast it is compared to typical completion times.

A good speed run one can watch in one sitting.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

Agreed.

Did anyone see that Twilight Princess speed run? Something like 5 hours and 45 minutes...pretty insane, IMO, especially since the average completion time is like 42 hours or something.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Resident Evil 4 speed runs ftw. My best time on that game is somewhere a little under two hours.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
speed runs are just proof that you fear sunlight.
I love how on topic this is.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Speed runs for certain games are a good idea--games that can be completed in reasonably short spans. Doing a 90 minute speed run just isn't much of a speed run, however fast it is compared to typical completion times.

A good speed run one can watch in one sitting.
ya I think anything over like an hour and a half is a bit much.

Like I said, world record time for zelda link to the past was something like an hour and 5 mins and I was around an hour and a half.

I could beat the game, at that point, once before supper, and once after supper before I did my homework.

Megaman X games make the best speedruns. Ive played the game ''megaman X-2'' no joke, well over 10 000 times. Not exagerating, as in I beat it 10-15 times a day for almost a year. Perfecting my speedrun to end all speedruns.

As in, I dont get friggin' hit. except to glitch the spike wall to get the heart tank upgrade in wheel gator's stage. I wish I could have recorded it before I got rusty again..

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

I LOVE THAT GAME.

Seriously. I've actually install and emulator and started playing through the X series, as they are, hands down, my favorite Megaman games.

Although, now much older, the characters don't have quite as much depth as I thought they did...for example, Zero, in the first one, I remember as being a bad ***. He still is....just, you're not ever really given a reason for his bad assness.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
ya I think anything over like an hour and a half is a bit much.

Like I said, world record time for zelda link to the past was something like an hour and 5 mins and I was around an hour and a half.

I could beat the game, at that point, once before supper, and once after supper before I did my homework.

Megaman X games make the best speedruns. Ive played the game ''megaman X-2'' no joke, well over 10 000 times. Not exagerating, as in I beat it 10-15 times a day for almost a year. Perfecting my speedrun to end all speedruns.

As in, I dont get friggin' hit. except to glitch the spike wall to get the heart tank upgrade in wheel gator's stage. I wish I could have recorded it before I got rusty again..
That's cool, I tried doing speed runs of Metroid and got my fastest time down to around 2 hours, I stopped trying for some odd reason though. It was intense since the fastest time so far is 51 mins, which requires you to know exactly where to go, what power ups to get along the way, what power ups to miss, etc.

Also, Wheel Gator is a *****! I hope someone takes a dump in his water.

^^^

I LOVE THAT GAME.

Seriously. I've actually install and emulator and started playing through the X series, as they are, hands down, my favorite Megaman games.

Although, now much older, the characters don't have quite as much depth as I thought they did...for example, Zero, in the first one, I remember as being a bad ***. He still is....just, you're not ever really given a reason for his bad assness.
I loved it too, my cousin loved it even more because the ******* stole it :mad:. Hey, does anyone know how to get the third Zero move in Megaman Xtreme? I searched everywhere but I never ever found it.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^

Agreed.

Did anyone see that Twilight Princess speed run? Something like 5 hours and 45 minutes...pretty insane, IMO, especially since the average completion time is like 42 hours or something.
I haven't tried a TP speed run, but the only real speed runs I've done are OOT, WW, and tLOZ. I beat WW like 7 hours behind the record! :laugh: I'm not even gonna say how bad I did at OOT. But overall, my 4 1/2 hour speed run of the original LOZ was pretty decent, not to mention it was the 2nd quest=much harder. Still died twice though, but that game is challenging, and extremely awsome! I've beaten tLOZ well over a dozen times=addicting. I would do the same if I didn't lose my GBA ALTTP=I love that game.

Originally Psted by NES n00b
Every Zelda game would seem too easy if you compare it to Zelda II.

Lol
You don't know the half of it. The game was so difficult I literally lost all my lives like 130 something times before beating it. It took me what, 2 or 3 years to beat, and it was worth it, but it definitely p***** me off to insane extremes at some points. Zelda II should have a warning label on it stating:

Warning: This is the hardest game ever! Recommended only for the best gamers, or people who are willing to devote 100 hours to beat 7 dungeons, in which you'll constantly get lost, get owned by the best AI from 1987, and die because of lack of DI. If you can't beat A Link to the Past or the original Legend of Zelda, then don't even touch this game. This game may cause destruction of controllers, games, and lamps! :laugh:

Despite that, it was a awsome game! But man that AI owned me sooo bad until I got to the end of the 6th dungeon, where I starting owning them back! Then I kept dying just trying to reach the 7th and final dungeon over and over and over, until I got through died, died on the path 5 more times, actually got halfway throught the dungeon, died, and on and on and on. I got lost so many times it was pathetic.

The last dungeon makes Ganon's Castle in A Link to the Past look flat out miniature. I guess the difficulty and awsome gameplay is what made me keep coming back to get owned, until I finally beat it. Seriously, I don't think I've ever been excited about beating a video game other than when I beat that game. Thank god my friend showed me useful pointers on how to beat it, or I would have flat out given up on like before the 2nd dungeon.

The one thing I REALLY wish was in Zelda II is DI=helpful, but the air attacks were pretty neat. But DI+those air attacks would have been sweets, and the magic and magic system were pretty intertaining, intresting, and useful to say the least. If there were no magic spells in Zelda II, god couldn't have beaten it=heck, I don't even know how I beat it! O well, still a awsome game=I suggest it to all you people anyone who would like a challenge.

@ AxemRed
Nice speed run!

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
Warning: This is the hardest game ever! Recommended only for the best gamers, or people who are willing to devote 100 hours to beat 7 dungeons, in which you'll constantly get lost, get owned by the best AI from 1987, and die because of lack of DI. If you can't beat A Link to the Past or the original Legend of Zelda, then don't even touch this game. This game may cause destruction of controllers, games, and lamps! :laugh:
Luigi's Adventure is harder :p.

Although I guess I shouldn't say anything until I download Zelda II and play it.

Thanks btw, I was hoping someone would watch that.

Sensai

Smash Master
I watched it too, AxemRed. Interesting, to be sure. :-D

Also...Dylan's right. Ghosts n Goblins is **** hard. It's INITIALS are GG for the love of God.

Kid Icarus's first few levels, though...

[Edit:]

Oh, BTW: I probably won't be on this thread (or the Boards) at all for a good 10 or so days...going out of the country to Honduras for a medical mission. See you guys in a couple days.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I watched it too, AxemRed. Interesting, to be sure. :-D

Also...Dylan's right. Ghosts n Goblins is **** hard. It's INITIALS are GG for the love of God.

Kid Icarus's first few levels, though...

[Edit:]

Oh, BTW: I probably won't be on this thread (or the Boards) at all for a good 10 or so days...going out of the country to Honduras for a medical mission. See you guys in a couple days.
Medical mission? you dont fool around man. Good luck and see you in a few weeks then. ;)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
In a way, Sensai is kinda lucky, now when he comes back he'll have like 7 updates to look forward to.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
In a way, Sensai is kinda lucky, now when he comes back he'll have like 7 updates to look forward to.
lol but the updates are all so terrible though.

OMG some item I wont use
OMG some stage that iz pretty
OMG mario can jump when he is off the stage

And each one with 30 threads attached.

Im just waiting for that crucial piece of info. Wavedashing, in, or out. I dont need a pretty picture or some stupid caption like ''Bambambambambambam'' (good one Smashbros.com. Good to know the people making brawl are amused by the same things as a 10 year old boy)

Just 2 words. Wavedash yes. or wavedash no. Then I either buy the game, or ignore it and play melee, and play brawl at my friends for fun if he gets it. Which he won't if there's no wavedashing. so meh.

Edit

OMFG NEW UPDATE I JUST CRAPEPD MY PANTS!!!

KIRBY AND PIKACHU ARE IN THE GAME! OMFG.. NEWCOMERS!!!!1

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
OMFG NEW UPDATE I JUST CRAPEPD MY PANTS!!!

KIRBY AND PIKACHU ARE IN THE GAME! OMFG.. NEWCOMERS!!!!1
And tomorrow we'll learn that Kirby's forward b is his hammer, even though it's already in one of today's screenshots XD.

Erk Aduro

Smash Apprentice
Just 2 words. Wavedash yes. or wavedash no. Then I either buy the game, or ignore it and play melee, and play brawl at my friends for fun if he gets it. Which he won't if there's no wavedashing. so meh.
Eh, Dylan will they even confirm wavedashing? It was a glitch, so whether they leave it in or not, would they actually make an update about it? You might just have to wait 'til it's out and other people who buy it can confirm it. I know it's a big deal and I know the previous developers apparently knew about it, but they may not want to advertise a glitch.

But I don't know, just throwing that out there. Did they confirm L Canceling when Melee was in development? If they did, then perhaps they'll confirm wavedashing.

Also, just to note, I've been happy with all the updates so far. :p

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Eh, Dylan will they even confirm wavedashing? It was a glitch, so whether they leave it in or not, would they actually make an update about it? You might just have to wait 'til it's out and other people who buy it can confirm it. I know it's a big deal and I know the previous developers apparently knew about it, but they may not want to advertise a glitch.

But I don't know, just throwing that out there. Did they confirm L Canceling when Melee was in development? If they did, then perhaps they'll confirm wavedashing.

Also, just to note, I've been happy with all the updates so far. :p
Wavedashing isnt a glitch. Im not even gonna explain why, Ive done so like. 300 million times in this thread, so has Axem, so had Red Exodus, so has everyone.

Not trying to bash you though as I would if you were like omg wavedeshins a glitch u r cheep. But you're not so thats cool.

I could see how despite the evidence against it (wavedashing) it could still be *treated* like a glitch and removed which is what I fear most.

But theyre well aware of airdodging into the ground, and I hope it produces the same effect in brawl, or it will suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom