• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else is nervous about Brawl potentially sucking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Probably because if things get noob friendly the get will be less deep and the line between pros and casual players would be blurred thus destorying any chance for Brawl to be taken seriously at tournament level.
Well like I said, when good players play, you can tell that the game isn't noob-ed up, but balanced. That's why people play Halo 2 as well as SSBM at the tournament level.

The big advantage that Smash Bros. has over fighters is that they're will never be zero to death combos... because of stocks.

Max that you can take out in a combo is a stock.

And wavedashing is just a manifestation of the physics engine... Newton would be proud.

true

true

Newton WOULD be proud :)

Superstar

Smash Champion
You seem to be neutral on the whole Wavedash thing. You say that Wavedash kinda breaks the player or something. But you also said that its very tournament friendly... Although, like what was said earlier, wavedash would be more difficult to fix than keep. What's the harm in keeping it? Not much. Also, not all characters are susceptible to a waveshine, there is Luigi in that list. Also, Mario [looking at Fox's shine guide or something], is affected, but not to a brutal degree.

BigRick, that's one beauty I have forgotten to notice, stocks. That's why combos aren't unstoppable, because then you return and then combo THEM.

Oh, sorry if none of what I said makes sense, I am under lack of sleep, and I have a cold. My logic is fried [also my spelling, had to fix some mistakes].

Also, I've been playing Pokemon all the time. Its actually a deeper game when you get into it. Most people just pick legendaries with the most powerful attacks, forgetting about techniques, and using the best moves. For example, A legendary MIGHT have a bit of trouble against a Blissy with Lightscreen, if it only knew non super effective special attacks like most legendaries.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
I only play Melee seriously because all my friends do so, and I'm pretty decent. But I played SSB a lot because it was good fun with friends, and I was an amateur beast with DK :)

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
I just hop they don't get rid of shiek. He's one of the best players in the game and I couldn't imagine playing without him.
couple of things. the first is don't double post.

As for Shiek, i'm pretty sure that she will be taken out since Link got a TP upgrade, which means Zelda likely will as well. Which leads to point three: You are aware Sheik is female, or did i just miss some sarcasm there.

I also doubt any of the adv techs will be taken out, but we won't know until the game hits the shelves. I mean, it's not like they'll show them off in trailers and whatnot

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Hhahaha siggy quoted again! ^^ :) Always an honor ^_^

Since I cant respond to scrub-face in the ''game feels complete'' thread without being banned im gonna reply in my most favorite of threads!

pikachunoob said:
@Dylan they wont mention WD since it is very unknown and whether WD exists or not in SSBB will not hurt the metagame badly. We will be fine even WITH OUGHT adv. techs. since mindgames>>>>>>>>>>Technical skill. Although I can guaranty that SHFFL(th most central tech ) will be in SSBB.

Plus, YOU don't wavedash for spacing. You seem to wavedash randomly therefore not able to bring its full potential.
wow yeah, I certainly don't use wavedashing properly, thats definatly not why I managed a 3 stock in that match. Nope, my pulsewalking/wavedancing mindgames which I employed to trick the falcon and get the grab were entirely ineffective. I should be wavedashing to downsmash because that's MUCH better than crouch canceling and charging it during the slight ammount of sliding you get when you crouch cancel a dash. Yup. :laugh:

Pikachu noob clearly doesn't have an eye for smash vids, as proved by that post he has literally no idea whats going on. Wavedashing Randomly? wow. :psycho:

I wonder if the genius can tell me what the ''true'' use of wavedashing is for shiek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVEL1-JXNtI I bet my mario also wavedashes at random lol, no spacing/mindgames goin on in this match. :laugh:

what a tool.

Axem im gonna watch your luigi vid right now.

Edit : **** man I didnt even know you made Mario levels... I liked crazy castle the best! (Browsed your vids :p)

Rakuen

Smash Apprentice
I think what we're going to see is some of the advanced techniques lose a little bit of value from improving other portions of the game.

For example, if rolling was improved (speed, length, canceling, whatever), it'd make wavedashing a little less useful because of it. Also edgehopping.

They're still there, they're still useful, but it's no longer a one-size-fits-all ability.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I think what we're going to see is some of the advanced techniques lose a little bit of value from improving other portions of the game.

For example, if rolling was improved (speed, length, canceling, whatever), it'd make wavedashing a little less useful because of it. Also edgehopping.

They're still there, they're still useful, but it's no longer a one-size-fits-all ability.
Bah buffing the roll would only make people roll spam, anyone remember fox's roll in SSB? You could spam that for hours and never get touched if you were playing at a non pro level, I know from personal experience that unless you're top notch or just decently good fox's roll spam in SSB64 was near impossible to hit / grab.

Roll spamming would still be punishable by better players but imagine how it would ruin the newbie level of gameplay? People would just roll around -all the time- and then itd be ''omg roll is cheap'' etc etc.

I dont think the roll should be changed in how it works (not being able to attack out of it right away unlike a wavedash or crouch/jump canceled move out of a dash.) Especially since you are invincible while you are rolling.

I do think, however that some characters have ****ty rolls and should be fixed, I speak of course most primarilly of Samus. Everything about samus is good... she needs a better role, I heard Phanna Mint say that actually.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
But you can punish it now. Noobs actually hit people when they roll now, in SSB it was much harder. If a noob rolls around against a pro Falcon he'll get kneed in the face everytime.

@ Dylan: I lol'd at the end of that vid.

"Brrrrat! We gangsta *****!" Rofl

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
^^ Exactly.

My friend plays falcon, saw the startup animation of my friend rolling (by accident) with samus and managed to shorthop reverse FALCON PUNCH him. Rolling is punishible and it should be, it does have its uses, I roll quite a bit with shiek on defence then start pulsewalking/dashdancing again to confuse him and go for the grab or whatever.

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
Axem im gonna watch your luigi vid right now.

Edit : **** man I didnt even know you made Mario levels... I liked crazy castle the best! (Browsed your vids :p)
Haha, thanks for watching, at least someone appreciates them. Just to clarify though, I didn't make Crazy Castle. All the TSRP (The Second Reality Project) levels were made by FPI, one helluva good level designer. The Luigi's Adventure level, was made by Anikiti, who has ridiculously hard levels. I made the "Tornado" levels, and Cobalt Caverns, and I'll upload more soon ^^.

Sorry for that off-topic rant X_X.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
I have to say, Tornado Zone kicks ***. I wanna play that level. Could you tell me if there is some way for me to play it?

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
I have to say, Tornado Zone kicks ***. I wanna play that level. Could you tell me if there is some way for me to play it?
Well, I made Tornado Zone, lol. So, as soon as I complete the level set it belongs to, I'll post it on smwcentral or something. Then you can use zsnes to play it.

Edit: if you want to play TSRP in the meantime, you should go here:

www.fpi-productions.de

Sensai

Smash Master
I just hop they don't get rid of shiek. He's one of the best players in the game and I couldn't imagine playing without him.
I think this is a point that all people that fear for Sheik need to hear, so listen closely. I'll even bold it for you guys:

Sheik as you know her will not be returning. They can go several routes. They can take her out completely (which could be argued either way. I personally don't see her leaving). They can make her a seperate character (giving her another B move....****). They can keep her as part of Zelda (not likely...I think it'll be a seperate entity).

Another bolded point: If she does return, she'll be nerfed. Probably pretty badly. Why? Because she's a HOSS in Melee as she is.

...jeah, that's about it.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
how in the world do u know that? r u a maker of brawl? cuz those are the ONLY people who are ever gonna know for sure till the game comes out! They use the suspense about what chars will be in there as a marketing technique, bureaucratic snobs, and they make us wait agonizingly for the knowledge that sheik will or will not be in the game. Personally, i think the game doesn't need any of that to sell hugely. Gurgle. That is all.

ToyzSoldier

Smash Apprentice
Well the guy is entilted to his own opinion. He may not be the creator or developer, but does that speculation a crime. Personally I think Zero Suit Samus is the new Sheik. I mean come on, Sheik wears tight clothes, Zero Suit wears tight clothes. They're the only SSB characters (out of the current roster) that wear tight clothes. Plus their movesets do look sorta similar.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Kirby wears tight clothes, Snake wears tight clothes, Link wears tight clothes, Mario and Wario wear tight clothes [their clothes are bursting at the seams!].

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Maybe I just played nubs (or the comp) but grabbing a roller in SSB was hell easy for DK (I led people on so bad when I played that)

And Ness was nerfed real bad from SSB to SSBM, from what I heard he was god in SSB, and they had to fix it. So obviously they're gonna make Sheik a little less cheap.

...and they're gonna make Link better cuz he's low tier, and that means hes gonna be insane! (cuz he kinda sucked in SSB).

Zephyr

Smash Lord
St. Patrick's Ganon came THIS CLOSE [.] to beating Ken's Marth yesterday. It was on dreamland, his Ganon had around 156%, Ken had about 100%. Both were on their last stock. Pat knocked him off and all he had to do was edgehog...he missed it. ;_; Vid = here http://youtube.com/watch?v=skF24PNXP8w

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Well the guy is entilted to his own opinion. He may not be the creator or developer, but does that speculation a crime. Personally I think Zero Suit Samus is the new Sheik. I mean come on, Sheik wears tight clothes, Zero Suit wears tight clothes. They're the only SSB characters (out of the current roster) that wear tight clothes. Plus their movesets do look sorta similar.
I have to agree, it seems very probable. In one of the trailers, Zamus does 3 moves in a row that resemble Sheiks- the dtilt, the ftilt, and the dsmash. Watch her fight, and you'll see that she is very vertically oriented in the air, with not a lot of back and forth movement possible- like Sheik. Then there's also the whip/gun which may substitute Sheik's needles and chain. Zamus seems to largely resemble Sheik. I think we can expect that Sheik will be replaced by Zamus.

Zephyr

Smash Lord

Hideous Being, you live in Escondido?

You need to go to the San Diego Triweeklies. ^^ Azn Lep, a really good IC's user, lives in Escondido.

Sensai

Smash Master
goateeguy, you're correct, I'm not in charge of developing the game. Believe it or not, I haven't even seen the game. But, AMAZINGLY, I can also predict that Master Chief won't be in Brawl, Samus will NOT strip to nudity, Mario won't be smoking bowls, and Ganon won't be pimping on Peach.

HOW DOES HE DO IT!?!?

Shai Hulud said:
Sensai knows because Sensai is amazing. His Ganon pwned my soul yesterday.
Except when you wobbled me....scary **** right there. I beat you, but just barely.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace

Hideous Being, you live in Escondido?

You need to go to the San Diego Triweeklies. ^^ Azn Lep, a really good IC's user, lives in Escondido.
Heh, I tend to be terrified of anyone with "Azn" at the beginning of their sn. In truth, I'm no really good player at all. I may talk big, but I have minimal experience against really good players. I would definitely appreciate a chance to play with experienced players, but I don't know if I'm at all cut out for the San Diego Triweeklies.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Azn Lep is Irish. =P

It's alright, we have people of literally ALL skill levels coming to these Triweeklies. You should come.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Too bad he's a **** character >.> in both ssb64 *cough bottom tier cough* and in melee where he can be chainthrown by almost anybody.

And don't you ''aniki this and that me'' link sucks.

I mained him for like.. years, since ssb64 came out, like most n00bs I thought he was the best character ever since im a rabid zelda fanatic.. really really love zelda games.

But ya, how many link mains win tournament? (dont mention aniki) even the ''almighty'' germ who is praised as one of the worlds best link players by youtube posters everywhere will get his *** 4 stocked by a good fox or shiek, hence why isai 4 stocked him.

He's a fun character though ^_^, I just strongly advise against maining him ;)

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Go tell that to Sexydoodles. I dare you. =P

He's a kickass Link main in our area, he's 14th on the SD rankings. That means he's really good.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Azn Lep is Irish. =P

It's alright, >>>we<<< have people of literally ALL skill levels coming to these Triweeklies. You should come.
We? Where are you from Zephyr? I can't locate you anywhere near me. Do you represent the Triweekly hosters? Anyway, maybe I will come, but I will need to get my driving license first. I failed my first try last week.:(

BTW, when I first saw how long this thread was, as I checked it out, I was thinking one thing: "This thread has probably gotten way off topic."....-I was right!:laugh: lol

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Go tell that to Sexydoodles. I dare you. =P

He's a kickass Link main in our area, he's 14th on the SD rankings. That means he's really good.
Shiek >

Chainthrow to whatever percent you want to fair. Yawn. All you need is one grab and links bombs are easy to catch.

Just takes a good shiek to take ANY decent link player down.

Not saying Im that shiek though, chances are if hes on the rankings it would take a shiek of greater calibur than mine to best him, but think about it, one grab and he's dead, everytime.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
It's a good thing he doesn't get grabbed then, isn't it?

No, I'm serious. He doesn't get grabbed by Sheik, he knows better than that.

It's like...

me getting grabbed by Jiggs. It just doesn't happen because of pure force of will. I won't let it happen.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
It's a good thing he doesn't get grabbed then, isn't it?

No, I'm serious. He doesn't get grabbed by Sheik, he knows better than that.
QFT. That's the only thing Sheik has on Link. A tactically good Link player will be too far ahead of Sheik to get grabbed.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Lol it's still an 8 on the counter list. Shiek > Link.

I know what you're saying but these ''tactically good'' link players are far and few between, germ seems to be hailed as one of the best link players and I've seen most of his matches, sure he does fine with his pals in DBR but once he steps into the big leagues he gets pwnd HARD.

Aniki totally obliterates with link, its him though his reaction time is INSANE, he understands the game quite well, though in my opinion his samus is much, much better.

Theres no good link mains in my area (eastern canada) sadly, one guy whos half decent, does all the techs mindgames, confusing bomb strats all that, but I still can 2-3 stock him with shiek everytime, he ***** my space animals though which is suprising because I have a half decent falco.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
A good Link has an easy time comboing Sheik...

If the Sheik can't get that grab in, don't be surprised to see him lose.

I would give that match a 7-3 rating, because Link still has a very potent offense 'gainst Sheik... it's not the same as Pika vs Sheik.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Hey there, I haven't read this whole thread but I'll just give my views on the original topic and such.

First off, Dylan_Tnga, I respect you. I'll admit sometimes you come off as seeming a little hot headed, but your arguments are justified and I like that you are still willing to help people learn, even when their idiotic posts piss you off. And let me tell you, it takes balls of iron to admit your mistakes on an online forum, especially this one, so I respect you immensely for that as well. Somebody get this man a drink!

Now, as for me, I'm what most tourney players would consider a "scrub". I have never done Smash competitively in a pro setting before and I KNOW that if I were to face you I would be ungodly beaten into a bloody pulp. But it would be so fast that I would probably only laugh at my own misfortune.

Now, as for Brawl sucking, I personally am not too worried. Maybe because I am not a pro by any means and still try to occasionally use items and such, and I almost feel embarrased saying this but... I kind of like the idea of the super moves. (hides from oncoming gunfire)

Now, as for this whole WDing arguement... while not able to do it myself, I would be a little disappointed if it was gone only because it has fostered such an elite kind of Smash player, and thusly created a sense of community for those people. But again, I also believe Melee is a game of godly status and it will continue to thrive regardless of how Brawl does.

And I'm done for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom