• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you think you will main in Smash Ultimate?

Grevmak

Smash Cadet
As someone coming from PM mainly, it'll be hard to find a main I enjoy the most as I did love a lot of Smash 4 chars. Maybe my PM main Ness, but I'm open to try just about anyone.

D

Deleted member

Every Metroid character, the third party ones, K.Rool and Mewtwo.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
All y'all hating on Miis will never know what it's like to kick someone's *** as Hank Hill.

Seriously, with the Miis you can play as ANYONE! How does that not appeal to everybody?
You can play as ''anyone'' with really generic movesets that probably don't make much sense with how that particular character would actually fight. They had Inkling outfits in Smash 4, but compare that to how actual Inklings play in Ultimate and you'll see what I mean. Same with all the other Mii outfits that turned into proper characters in Ultimate.

Besides I don't care one bit as playing as generic people from random cartoons or even real life. Hank Hill? Cool, King of the Hill's fine, but really IDGAF about it in Smash. I care about the actual characters that have actual charm in their movesets and come from games that I love. (And on a side-note, I'm certainly not looking forward to fighting a plethora of Hitlers and Bin Ladens or whatever online if Miis are allowed just because people are trying to be ''''''funny''''''. I've had more than enough of those in Mario Kart; it wasn't funny then, it's not funny now, and it never is going to be funny period.)

....aside from that they just weren't fun to play at all in Smash 4 and I don't expect that to change whatsoever in Ultimate. I'm perfectly fine with Miis being in the game, but they're not at all for me. I never was a big fan of the Miis regardless of the game. I'll take Mario, Yoshi, Peach, Zelda, Link, Inklings, Cloud, Fox, Pikachu, Ness, Robin, Bayonetta, Mega Man, Sonic, etc, etc, etc over whatever Mii ''character'' you can think of any day of the week.

D

Deleted member

You can play as ''anyone'' with really generic movesets that probably don't make much sense with how that particular character would actually fight. They had Inkling outfits in Smash 4, but compare that to how actual Inklings play in Ultimate and you'll see what I mean. Same with all the other Mii outfits that turned into proper characters in Ultimate.

Besides I don't care one bit as playing as generic people from random cartoons or even real life. Hank Hill? Cool, King of the Hill's fine, but really IDGAF about it in Smash. I care about the actual characters that have actual charm in their movesets and come from games that I love. (And on a side-note, I'm certainly not looking forward to fighting a plethora of Hitlers and Bin Ladens or whatever online if Miis are allowed just because people are trying to be ''''''funny''''''. I've had more than enough of those in Mario Kart; it wasn't funny then, it's not funny now, and it never is going to be funny period.)

....aside from that they just weren't fun to play at all in Smash 4 and I don't expect that to change whatsoever in Ultimate. I'm perfectly fine with Miis being in the game, but they're not at all for me. I never was a big fan of the Miis regardless of the game. I'll take Mario, Yoshi, Peach, Zelda, Link, Inklings, Cloud, Fox, Pikachu, Ness, Robin, Bayonetta, Mega Man, Sonic, etc, etc, etc over whatever Mii ''character'' you can think of any day of the week.
Miis are the only way for me to play as Music Meister and the Fantastic Four in Smash :(

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Miis are the only way for me to play as Music Meister and the Fantastic Four in Smash :(
And that's fine for you! I didn't say other people couldn't enjoy Miis. If you enjoy them, more power to you! They're just not for me (and I'm sure there's other people who share my thoughts), and all I did was explain why, since Sabertooth figured Miis would appeal to everybody because they allowed you to punch people in the face as Hank Hill. :p So please, go get your Music Meister and Fantastic Four on as much as you like!

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Sure, I'm well aware that when I dress up my Mii as Mega Man X I'm not really playing as him, but sometimes I think it's fun to stretch my imagination a bit and get really weird with the Miis. I would never try to argue "look, Isaac is in the game, you've just gotta dress your Mii like him", but sometimes it really is the next best thing. That K Rool costume, as maligned as it was, gave me a lot of enjoyment in Smash 4 after the initial feelings about it settled.

The movesets are a little boring I agree, but it makes sense for them to be. I'm definitely gonna be making a Rex Mii if we don't get him playable!

cocsinelle

Smash Rookie
NNID
cocsinelle
Switch FC
SW-0710-7463-6135
Current characters i'd like to main : :ultsheik: +++ because they're my babe 5ever, fav character in the zelda universe (with Revali lmao), and i think i'm beggining to improve thanks to them <3
:ultwolf: really love him in the starfox universe and really enjoyed his playstyle back in brawl!!
:ultinkling: i was already crazy about splatoon but i just fell in love in the demo, that gameplay is sooo fun!!

Totally gonna give a try : :ultyounglink::ultpichu::ultzelda: (i would love a toon Zelda tho ahahaha, if somehow it happens then i'll 100% main her as well......but i dont think this is happening at all :') )

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I've been a Zard loyalist for most of Smash 4's lifespan so you can bet I'll continue to main him. I'll definitely be giving Ivy and Squirt their needed attention as well, but Zard will probably always be my specialty.

NineLannister

Smash Rookie
NNID
NineLannister
Switch FC
SW 2787 1144 8408
Zelda has been my main since Brawl, and the buffs that her fair and bair have received (at least in the Demo build) are enough to get me stoked as hell.

As for my secondaries, Mewtwo and Toon Link will carry over, and I'm hella excited to pick up Pokemon Trainer again. Out of the announced newcomers, I'm most eager for Ridley and Simon.

Sen-Anima

Smash Rookie
I've been maining Mario since Smash 64, so I'll probably just continue the tradition.

Since I enjoy playing the heavier characters for my secondaries, K. Rool looks really interesting and I'm glad Snake is back.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
:ultpikachu: My boi forever and always, but also gonna play a ton of: :ultroy:/:ultchrom:, :ultcloud:, :ulttoonlink:/:ultyounglink:, :ultmetaknight:, :ultmewtwo:, :ultdk:, :ultsonic:, :ultrosalina:, and if they're good: :ultfalco:, :ultwolf:,:ultkrool:, :ultkirby:, :ultridley:, and maybe :ultsimon:. I'll always bust out for funsies regardless: :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultganondorf::ultjigglypuff::ultpokemontrainer::ultfalcon::ultdarksamus::ultsheik: and everyone else I already listed.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
:ultlink::ultrosalina::ultsnake::ultcloud: I don’t think I’ll be maining them. I’ll definitely main them. I’m loyal to those characters for life.
I’m also picking :ultike::ultwolf::ultchrom::ultshulk::ultzelda: as possible seconds.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Skull Kid if he gets in, Mewtwo, Lucario, and Ridley if he doesn't. (and those latter three I'll probably also main-rotate even if Skull Kid gets in)

SUBJ3CT

Smash Rookie
I’ll probably try out every new character, as well as the DLC characters I didn’t previously buy. I’ll also probably stick with previous mains like Dedede and Lucina.
I have loads of respect for anyone who mains Dedede

Kulty

Smash Ace
I'm solo-maining :ultmario:. I have character and playstyle loyalty to the red plumber since 1999. I plan to pick up two secondaries between :ultshulk::ultkrool::ultmarth:for now. I don't like to pick many characters, so I think 3 is a perfect balance between focusing on competitive and having fun. Anyway, I'm loyal to Marth and Shulk ever since their first appearance in Smash Bros as well, and King K Rool has been so far my most anticipated newcomer and one of my most wanted (top 5), so I will definitely play him as soon as I unlock him.

Of course, I plan to try out the newcomers: :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultisabelle:, but I'm a bit less interested in Daisy, Dark Samus and Isabelle at the moment.

Last edited:

JT_KiNGLY

Smash Rookie
K. Rool will most definitely be my main as I have rooted for the King as early as Brawl and it would be sinful to not harness his potential in what will surely be his finest hour
My pockets will likely amount to my most played in Wii U: I.E. Luigi, DK, Mario, and Falco
Returning cast: Snake, Young Link, and Pokemon Trainer
Ultimate Newcomers: The Belmonts, Inkling, Chrom

I may very well see myself picking up Ike and Dark Samus as well if this installment realizes them to be more useful than in previous appearances, or in Dark's case, superior to Samus.

But in all honesty I could play the entirety of Ultimate's cast till I'm old and grey as this game is shaping up to be the most epic chapter of this behemoth of a series.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Definitely K Rool. Sexy alligator daddy gonna stomp on all of you.

Secondaries would probably be either Inkling or Ice Climbers. I want Ice Climbers, but that desyncing thing sounds complicated. But Inkling looks cool for the most part.

DDD will alway have a special place in my heart.

R O F L

Smash Ace
If :ultolimar: 's new throws are at least as good as his Smash 4 ones i'll probably try to main him again.
Other than him, my tops will probably be :ultkirby:, :ultmetaknight:, and :ultlittlemac:.

Also from the gameplay we've seen so far, :ultkrool: and :ultsimon: look like people I might like.

Last edited:

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
My biggest problem is as I've been continuing to play Smash 4 in anticipation for Ultimate (Did it with Melee for Brawl, and Brawl for Smash 4) I've been growing to appreciate and enjoy quite the majority of the roster, even if I initially had reservations about their inclusion when they were announced (Corrin, Lucina, Dark Pit, etc). So with Ultimate bringing back some of my favorites from Brawl in the form of :ulticeclimbers:, :ultwolf:, and especially :ultsnake: as well as bringing in a whole list of Newcomers that I am actually excited for in every respect (no dud characters for me so far, I'm loving every reveal, except maybe Chrom I guess) it'll be hard for me to come to an "official" main. Although if Smash 4 is any indication my preferred favorites to play as have so far been the big and the bad, so it's likely that's alongside :ultganondorf: and :ultbowser: as some of my big two :ultridley: and :ultkrool: will definitely be some solid contenders, alongside :ultdarksamus: , :ultsonic:, and :ultsnake: trailing not that far behind.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I'm interested in learning Marth; I feel that he'll be a potent character in the long run. Spacing is his play style, so I wanna make sure I can put pressure on my opponents at all times. I was never really huge on him in previous games because I always favored Roy, but when comparing the two, I think Marth has the definite advantage.

I also wanna have a crack at Ryu, since he constantly faces his opponent like in authentic fighters. It definitely helps to reduce the risk of accidental special inputs and makes him a huge threat against people who like to crossup. If Ken makes it in (which he most likely will), I'll try him out as well.

BowsersBackAir

Smash Rookie
Sill gonna be playing my main man :ultbowser:but the out of all the characters I have seen, the one that I see myself playing as the most is that big purple space pirate :ultridley:

mirakabi

Smash Rookie
I'll be maining:ultkirby: as usual. However, I think I'll also play:ultdoc::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultlucas::ultwolf::ultinkling::ultpit::ultisabelle::ultyoshi::ulticeclimbers::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultroy::ultmewtwo::ultgnw::ultmiifighters:and :ultrob:. I'd never think I'd want to play so many characters, but this huge roster with huge changes just make these characters look interesting to me.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
These are the ones I'm most interested in:
:ultkrool::ultinkling::ivysaur:

But for all I know, I might end up maining :ultzelda:.
Not necessarily a bad thing, since being able to play several characters seems like a good idea with Squad Strike being a thing. I really hope Squad Strike becomes popular.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495

edit: darn heckin' fudge

also, this is old but the only thing i'd change is moving olimar and meta knight up maybe one or two tiers

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
I gravitate towards many characters, but :ultridley: will definitely be my favorite main if my pfp wasn't already obvious. After years of support I'm absolutely ecstatic that in less than 2 months I can play as him for the first time.

:ultgreninja: was my favorite main in Sm4sh so I'll play him frequently as well.

As for the rest, I've played :ultsamus: quite a lot over the years, so I look forward to :ultdarksamus: as well. :ultfalcon: and :ultganondorf: are always fun, their changes intrigue me as well. I loved :4charizard: in Sm4sh, so I'm wary of :ultpokemontrainer:, but I'll definitely seriously try him too. :ultmewtwo: is another, and :ultwolf: was a main of mine in Brawl, so he's another to add to the list. Finally, :ultkrool: looks really interesting and I look forward to getting to play around with him.

So my "mains" in no particular order are: :ultfalcon::ultganondorf::ultgreninja::ultkrool::ultridley::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultwolf::ultmewtwo:, with :ultpokemontrainer: being a real possibility as well.

Zakawer2

Smash Rookie
:ultmario: is unquestionably my main, though I'll try most other characters (save for :ultdaisy:, who deserves better than being a 1:1 clone of :ultpeach:), especially Melee and Brawl veterans who weren't in Smash 4 (which I haven't played) like :ultsnake:, :ultpokemontrainer:, :ultyounglink:, :ulticeclimbers:, :ultwolf: and:ultpichu:. Of course, I will occasionally use :ultfalcon:,:ultluigi: and :ultdoc: from time to time, as well as the heavily-buffed :ultganondorf:, :ultlittlemac:, :ultike:, :ultjigglypuff:, :ultkirby:, :ultmiifighters:, :ultzelda:, in addition to all newcomers that aren't :ultdaisy:.

Last edited:

Hadrian98

Smash Rookie
I'll main Corrin since she's suited to how I naturally play Smash characters.

I'm also open to see which secondaries I'll pick up once Ultimate comes out. Probably will take a night or two to test out all the characters capabilities.

Top Bottom