• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who Do You Intend To Main Upon Release?

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Selecting a main in Smash is an enigma, as it can either be the easiest or quite possibly one of the toughest decisions you make in each Smash entry. With an ever increasing roster, choosing your character can be downright daunting. Some players are character loyalists who love their franchise the character comes from, or favored a playstyle a character brought to the table and decided to rock it in each subsequent release. Other players embrace the competitive mentality and seek the high/top tiers in a bid to maximize their chances of winning/getting noticed. There are even players who sifted through the roster and came to a best-fit after months (or even years) of searching for "the one". So I ask you: of the confirmed characters so far, who do you intend to main upon release of Smash Ultimate (and why)?

Edit: Let's do without wishlisting and just stick to who's here for this thread. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I spent half of my life trying to get Ridley in Smash. I WILL main him, and I don't care how bad he might end up being.

As for others, I'm picking up Rosalina, Mewtwo, and Pikachu. Might try PT too, but that would require a lot of extra work if I wanted to use him to his full capacity.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Falco if he's top 8. If not him then probably marth or sheik. Pikachu looks alright.

I'm a very good snake in Brawl but idk if I'll main him due to the high amount of effort required to play him effectively each game

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
As soon as I unlock him, Ridley.

Been wanting Ridley to be playable for years, now Ultimate is fulfilling that wish.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I figure I'll use Pichu a lot just playing with friends for the lols, but I don't know if I'll play him seriously. I'll probably try to main Ness, Luigi, or Pikachu again because I like how they play and they look pretty unchanged (aside from ness but he's probably similar). If any of my dream newcomers get in though (Chorus Kids, Ashley, and Bandana Dee) I'll probably try to get good with them as well.

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
In 3ds I've been maining Link and shulk while also using Mario,Shiek, Mewtwo and Marth well. I'll try all of these for sure.

Young Link back intrigues me as I like the way adult link plays, but he is too slow and I mained young Link in melee for a while. Botw also has some interesting changes, I enjoy the different setups with projectiles the Link's can do, so Inkling and Snake looking good. I also did not buy the dlc, so all of those are like newcomers since I never played them much.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
In order.
1. Pokemon Trainer
2. Lucario
3. Wolf
4. Peach
5. Ganondorf

I’ll tinker with more characters but this is my priority list.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
:ultridley: For the same reasons others already stated, I've generally always tried to main my favorite characters based on my experiences with them outside Smash, and Ridley is my favorite video game character bar none. Thankfully his playstyle also seems right up my alley.

Secondary characters will depend on who's the most fun to play, but I'll be surprised if the few pocket characters I'll have won't be from the following selection of characters: :ultmetaknight::ultjigglypuff::ultfalcon::ultlucina::ultike::ultsamus:.

Last edited:

mediyogurt

Smash Cadet
I've mained Peach every game I've played with her in it, but I think im ready to push her to a secondary position and focus on someone else this time.

I want to main Snake, because I loved his playstyle in Brawl and I like MGS, but Inkling also looks fun, and I've wanted Ridley in for forever. It will most likely end up being Snake, Peach, or one of the newcomers.

Also Zelda is hella cute so I'll also look at maining her.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
:ultridley:, not just because he's my favorite Nintendo villain, but because I absolutely loved what time I've spent playing with him so far in the demos. I spent so many years supporting his inclusion in Smash, I will see my childhood dreams of maining him be realized or die trying.

Besides Ridley, I'll be using :ultyoshi: and :ultcorrin: as well in my "Dragon Triad" of mains alongside him. :ultfalcon::ultbowser::ultrobin:ultrob::ultpokemontrainer: Are all other characters I'm interested in playing again, Captain Falcon a bit moreso since he's always been someone who I could rely on in each Smash game.

Last edited:

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
For me, I think the best way is to try out a ton of different characters. Obviously, there will be characters that I will naturally gravitate to, but once I've found a character whose gameplay I like, I'll start picking them up. But I am hoping that the character I main isn't low tier for once.

GDAKA

Smash Rookie
My main character in 4 was Megaman, so I see myself playing as him to start out along with Wolf & Snake. I think I'll end up sticking with those 3 since I have the most experience on them

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Probably sticking to my cloud, corrin, zs samus rotation unless a new swordsperson gets announced or one of the current or future newcomers winds up being better than expected, then they may get a spot.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I’m going to have a difficult time picking my main in Ultimate. Ridley and Inkling look super fun to play and right up my alley, so there’s a temptation to main them as soon as I can.

Wolf is my main for Project M, so seeing him return also pulls me in his direction.

Then there is Shulk who they’ve successfully improved with the changes to monado arts, and is my main for Smash 4 already, so I’ll have to play some of him.

Not to mention Ganandorf, Snake, Duck Hunt, Pac-Man, and Ike are pretty much always vying for my top spot as well.

So, let’s go with Ridley... for now

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
You really just gotta explore once the game is out. I mained G&W in Brawl and Rosalina in 4 and went into neither game with those characters especially on my radar. You just gotta play the game, get a feel for the engine, toy with all of the characters, and work out who clicks for you. Like in the pre-release footage I'm super encouraged by everything I see about the Pokemon Trainer especially since I really enjoyed on the side Brawl Ivysaur (terrible though he was, pretty good in BBrawl though) and 4 Charizard. I don't know if he'll really work for me with controller in hand though; I don't even know for real if the character will even be good which is certainly a pre-requisite for a main in my book. Of course I'm going to give Rosalina a chance to still be a part of the strat if she's as good as she was in 4, I'm going to give G&W a chance to redeem himself after his awful showing in 4 (terrible character though he was at least fun to play with the power up-B custom, nothing redeeming about 1111 G&W), and after seeing the crazy buffs Ike got in the demo I'm really curious if my preferred heavy swordsman, Shulk, has received the same treatment. These are the angles I'm planning to use to start exploration, and I go from there.

D

Deleted member

Zelda !!! But I've also heard Palutena is somewhat better so may use her too. More than likely, I'll secondary Ridley and Wolf!

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm absolutely certain I'm going to main Jigglypuff, even if I got my absolute dream character in Dark Matter she'd still be my co-main at the very least.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
The 5 characters I wanna play the most are:
1. Marth
2. Mewtwo
3. Snake
4. Inkling
5. Shulk

Honorable Mention: Pichu

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff will be my definite go to initial character, as she has been in pretty much every entry. I am optimistic that the changes to the game (not necessarily her) will put Puff low-mid at worst. My alternative main will be Young Link, since he's the coolest looking design in the game and one of my favorite characters from Melee (plus I love the char in general from OOT & MM). I lost interest in Wolf quite a lot since his inclusion was announced (despite being an old main), so Ryu (my current Smash 4 main) will be my next choice. Lastly, I intend to spend a LOT of time with Pichu; like the frozen Snickers bar in the back of the freezer you forgot about, you get really excited that you have it (even though it wasn't on your mind before).

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Robin, no doubt about it. He's been my main since day 1 on Smash 4 and will be my main on day 1 in Smash Ultimate. As for secondaries, I'm not sure. I'll wait to see the full roster before I make a decision.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
Wii-Fit Trainer hands down

I also want to continue using Zelda, Mewtwo and Greninja. Also I want to pick up Snake again. At the same time, I'm just waiting to see what other newcomers get in the game, so I can say "Yeah that character's going to be one of my mains."

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Pichu is going to be bottom tier for sure. How can you make a light character who injures himself with every attack good? I'm not sure how well people who are planning will do with him competitively.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
We'll have to wait and see. I was wondering if the trade off of self damage would be compensated by silly power or setups.
Anyways, I don't want this thread to become a viability debate.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
I’m definitely maining Lucario and Lucas for sure, but I also want to play as Ice Climbers a lot, even if they end up as not good due to the nerfs they got. However, I do intend to wait for the full roster because if, say, Rayman gets in, that’s an insta-main for me.

Dig Dug

Chronic Lurker
I'll probably start out with Olimar again. Don't know if he'll stay as my main, but I felt so comfortable with him in 4 that I don't see myself dropping him completely unless they made some major changes to him.

I've been keeping an eye on Kirby and the Ice Climbers, too. I co-mained them in Brawl. When 4 came out, I needed to take a break from Kirby, and I stopped playing ICs for obvious reasons. Now I'm feeling pretty refreshed and looking forward to trying them out again. Pokemon Trainer also looks really appealing to me. I like those kinds of unorthodox playstyles.

I'll also probably look into Pikachu, Yoshi, Bowser, Ridley, and Duck Hunt. I have no intentions on maining them atm, but you never know.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I spent half of my life trying to get Ridley in Smash. I WILL main him, and I don't care how bad he might end up being.

As for others, I'm picking up Rosalina, Mewtwo, and Pikachu. Might try PT too, but that would require a lot of extra work if I wanted to use him to his full capacity.
No, Rosalina heavily disagrees with your decision to drop her for Ridley. Lady Rosalina demands that you change your profile pic.

SHAME!

sneakycrown

Smash Cadet
To begin with, probably Ness, then co-main him with Lucas like what I did for Brawl and Wii U!

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I've basically made my own little tier list of likelyhood to be my main/secondaries in Smash ultimate.
S rank - All have very fun gameplay. Have a character that has a special place in my heart, or at least looks really cool.
:ultmetaknight: Meta Knight is probably the closest thing I'll ever get to a "loyalty main". So he's definitely going to be up there. Lot of history with him. I like being in the air, being speedy, and having a sword, and those are all things Meta Knight can do quite well.
:ultridley:I love a character that can cause people to be intimidated. I really liked Ridley's interpretation in the manga, even if it was really cheesy. Sometimes you just gotta love a villain for being a villain. Also Ridley is the Meta Knight of the Metroid series to me. Gotta have that fast rival character. I'll just have to see if he has a good gameplay style when the game comes out, but it does look fun right now.
:ultwolf:Only played Star Fox Assault, and I liked Wolf's anti-hero role in it. I'm a sucker for anti-heroes. He looks cool, and I absolutely loved his gameplay in Brawl.
:ultlucario:Blame the Lucario movie for getting me to like him in the first place. I really like the whole aura thing. He's one of the top 6 pokemon from the first 6 generations for me. (Others being Noivern, Scyther, Zoroark, Haxorus, and Absol in no particular order). After doing 100 matches in a short time, his gameplay style has really grown on me, and he's really too different from other characters for me to stop playing him.
:ultsheik:Ninjas are cool, and Sheik's gameplay feels so amazing in Smash. Sometimes you don't need a strong reason to love a character.
:ultcloud:Cloud's a speedy sword user that looks awesome in his advent children alt. Easiest character I've played in smash.
A Rank I like the characters and their gameplay, but they aren't "must plays" like the ones in S rank.
:ultmiifighters:Mii Fighters are purely gameplay, and they could literally do anything they wanted for a moveset for smash, so of course they made it awesome and flashy. Sm4sh didn't give me a chance to play Miis, hopefully Ultimate will let me have fun.
:ultshulk:Shulk is a pretty cool character for the first half of his game. Though I mainly love Shulk for his style and most importantly, his big whooshy whooshy sword. Monado Arts stopped me from trying too hard to improve with him, but Ultimate seems to have fixed that.
:ultrobinRobin just looks really cool and I like Magic + swords. Hopefully he gets an alt skin with his hood on this time, because I'm a sucker for hoods.
:ultyounglink:Learned Smash off of Link, Young Link will probably be the closest to him, but be speedier as well. Love the concept of Majora's Mask too.
:ultlink:I'm curious to try out the remote bomb. I am a bit cautious about his recovery though, because it looks absolutely horrible compared to what it was before. We'll have to see what happens
:ultinkling:In a splatoon discord, so I gotta play with Inklings at some point. Besides, they are fast characters with projectiles. They look like a blast to play.
:ultfalco:I like Falco's personality and his gameplay is fun. He's not in S rank because aside from so many other characters to pick from, I also worry that his cockiness might rub off on me. After all, I easily get into character in games because it can make things more fun, even if I do it subconsciously.
:ultfox:Fox was the coolest character to me when I first played Smash, and I loved him in Melee. Though in Brawl and Sm4sh, and playing his games made me realize he's not that cool at all. So while I may not like the character, I like his style, and his gameplay is really fun.
:ultsnake:Don't know anything about Snake, but he's a blast to play in Brawl. Was going to play him in Smash 4, but looks like he kept us waiting until Smash ultimate.
:ultlittlemac:I love underdogs, and Little Mac embodies that pretty well. Also he's crazy fast and fun to play in Sm4sh. If you are lucky enough to fight a good Little Mac player, then he is extremely scary, and I like putting that kind of intimidation on other players. I look forward to playing him in Ultimate.
:ultpichu:I know a Pikachu Main, I want to be his little inexperienced bro. I only played Pichu casually in Melee (because I was too bad at Pichu/Pikachu to try hard with them.... and I was quite bad when I played Melee in general anyways). However, the time I played Pichu, I really enjoyed being a tiny super fast character. Also I found it fun trying to balance between non-electric, and electric attacks. Also, usually when something gets too cute, it bothers me and I start hating the character, but it seems that Pichu found the perfect balance of being just cute enough to make me really love Pichu without hating Pichu, enough to make me love Pichu more than Pikachu (at least based off of melee. Outside of Smash Pikachu probably wins my heart because of Pokemon Yellow). Perhaps I'll become a Pishu main.
:ultpikachu:I know a Pikachu Main and would like to help him get better at the game, so playing the character is a good start. Also I have history with Pikachu because Pokemon Yellow was my first game, so having Pikachu follow me around and being all happy when I check on him really got me attached to him. His gameplay was interesting too because he's fast, and that quick attack is pretty insane. Maybe I'll become a Pikashu main.
:ultgreninja:Ninjas are cool. I didn't give Greninja enough of a chance because finding out that his awesome scarf is not actually a scarf, and actually a gross tongue really turned me off just enough to focus on playing other characters instead. I'll have to play him again in Ultimate.
:ultsonic:I love speed, and Sonic is all about that. Also I love his cocky personality, not caring about what people think, and just wanting to have fun. He's just a fun character. I never played him much though, perhaps Smash Ultimate that will change.
:ultsamus:All about that charge shot. I love seeing the shift in someone's behavior once it is charged up. However, I did have fun with Samus's combos and her weird playstyle in Sm4sh.
B Rank Other characters I'm really interested in, but there's too many other characters that I prefer to play
:ultcorrin:Dragons, flaming chainsaw sword, Corrin's pretty cool. Don't know anything about the character though. 2 problems I have with him though. First off, he doesn't even look like a dragon when he transforms, just like some weird alien horse thing. Other problem, he needs some footwear, his feet just stick out like a sore thumb when looking at his whole character.
:ultmarth:My Melee Main. Marth's gameplay feels so perfect, and his cape+sword are pretty cool. Sadly I don't care for Marth as a character at all. Also, his slight range nerf frustrated me so much in Brawl and early Smash 4. Though I'm over the range nerf now, but I still need to play him more. Just too many interesting character.
:ultlucina:Lu Cena loses the interesting tipper mechanic in exchange for some more speed, and a more interesting character. While she doesn't always use it, she does have a mask and I love characters with cool masks. Also she's from a doomed timeline, that's always a thing that can make me like a character.
:ultpokemontrainer:Squirtle's gameplay was pretty boring from what I saw in Brawl so I didn't care about him that much, but he seems to be different in Ultimate so I'm looking forward to trying him out. Ivysaur was always interesting to me but I never got enough practice with him to know whether or not I like him, I'll practice more in Ultimate. Charizard was my main for a short while in Smash 4 because he was very simple and almost as easy as cloud to use. However his simpleness made it hard to try to get more competitive with him. I got a bit of history with Charizard because I always chose him when it came between Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander. Also, I just so happen to get Charmander as a result in Pokemon Mystery dungeon, so it was fun being a Charmander.
:ulttoonlink:Probably the most expressive character I've seen in a video game. Toon Link is just a fun character. Unfortunately I can't play him worth a dang in Smash because I'm too used to how normal Link plays. Toon Link's game is too different and I need to put in time to find out how Toon Link plays because he does have a chance to be my favorite of the Link trio.
:ultbayonetta:Bayonetta just looks like a fun character to play and she has a nice style. Only problems is that I don't know anything about her games, and there's a huge stigma against her in Smash.
:ultzss:I haven't used Zero Suit Samus much, but I do love her ladder combo. Maybe if I use her a bit more, her weirdness will be fun to play with since she is quite unique.

RichWalk9891

Smash Cadet
I'll be sticking with Wii Fit Trainer to see what different about her in Ultimate.

I'll be playing as Wolf as well, since I'm a fan of his moves in Brawl.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Assuming none of the unannounced characters appeal to me

I'll play :ultness: right up until I unlock :ultpokemontrainer: lol

Top Bottom