• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Pokemon should be in Brawl?

Which Pokemon should make the roster?

• Lucario

Votes: 255 26.3%
  • Blaziken

Votes: 264 27.2%
  • Deoxys

Votes: 191 19.7%
  • Meowth

Votes: 163 16.8%
  • Heracross

Votes: 64 6.6%
  • Dragonite

Votes: 112 11.5%
  • Poliwhirl

Votes: 38 3.9%
  • Sandslash

Votes: 106 10.9%
  • Paras

Votes: 41 4.2%
  • Swampert

Votes: 37 3.8%
  • Buoysel

Votes: 19 2.0%
  • Bulbasaur & evolutions

Votes: 52 5.4%
  • Munchlax

Votes: 45 4.6%
  • Lugia

Votes: 47 4.8%
  • Charizard

Votes: 116 11.9%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 63 6.5%
  • Scyther

Votes: 189 19.5%
  • Sneasel/Weavel

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Kadabra

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Gengar

Votes: 111 11.4%
  • Pichu Bros. / Plusle & Minun

Votes: 108 11.1%
  • Hitmonlee / Hitmonchan

Votes: 207 21.3%
  • Eevee & evolutions

Votes: 100 10.3%
  • Grimer

Votes: 40 4.1%
  • Missingno

Votes: 95 9.8%
  • Cubone

Votes: 120 12.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Specialized

Smash Rookie
Alright, witching gears here kinda. I already think there was enough pokemon in the previous game(s). I'm fine with pikachu and jigglypuff in brawl, but I kinda lost my interest in pokemon in the 6th grade. Still though, If I had to choose one I'd choose Charizard, he was my favorite from my childhood.

MasterGary

Smash Ace
Alright, witching gears here kinda. I already think there was enough pokemon in the previous game(s). I'm fine with pikachu and jigglypuff in brawl, but I kinda lost my interest in pokemon in the 6th grade. Still though, If I had to choose one I'd choose Charizard, he was my favorite from my childhood.
chrarizard is alredy in them pokeball things. and but he wudint be bad. but if they had to put a dragonish pokemon dragonite wud b better.

Corin

Smash Lord
I think both Dragonite and Charizard would be much too large to put in. They'd be ridiculously small as they're much larger than a regular person normally. Apart from that, having wings, it would be kind of silly if either of them only had two jumps.

Larger pokemon, and pokemon with wings - whether it'd be nice to see them in there or not - are definately out.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I think both Dragonite and Charizard would be much too large to put in. They'd be ridiculously small as they're much larger than a regular person normally. Apart from that, having wings, it would be kind of silly if either of them only had two jumps.

Larger pokemon, and pokemon with wings - whether it'd be nice to see them in there or not - are definately out.
That didn't stop Bowser from getting in. His actual size was reduced for Melee. Plus they could have multiple jumps like Kirby and Jigglypuff, or they could do what they are doing with Metaknight or Pit. So it's possible they could be playable, but I don't see them as important enough to come as playable characters.

urban_shinobi

Smash Journeyman
i say put in an unknown pokemon. throw in like one, and a big fav. the last pokemon roster for ssbm was messed up. pikachu can stay, only cuz he is the basic symbol of pokemon, and maybe jiggy, but htey need 2 or 3 more, a big timer and one that is a little unique

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
Well I Think Lucario is my first pick, with dragonite second and blazekin 3rd, only reason I said blazekin is because other people want him.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
dragonite is not unpopular/insignifcant. you can count on that. if you think being large and having wings would reduce its chances, i think it would increase its chances (whats more unique? and no, its not like ridley). the dragonite in my sig should be enough to convince most of you (if you click on it...)
bah, i was gonna make some support sigs but the pixels stuffed up after i saved it... stupid paint... oh well... i'll have some soon.

Corin

Smash Lord
Bowser isn't massive or anything. He's still a lot bigger than Mario. But he's never been HUGE.
He doesn't seem like he's been scaled down at all, I'd like to know to which game you're referring to where he was so much larger.

Dragonite and Charizard are both much larger than that. Twice the size of a human being.

Plus there's still, y'know, the stupidity of a character with wings who can't fly.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
bowser has been around 4X mario's height in some games. im sure someone has a picture. Dragonite isnt even twice the size of a human being. 220.98 cm? twice the size of a human?

hmmm...
i dont get what you mean by characters with wings that cant fly though...

Corin

Smash Lord
in smash, characters can't just fly around. Thus a character that had wings would not be appropriote for the game as it incorporates jumping, and dying from falling off cliffs. A dragon with wings can't exactly fall off a cliff, they'd fly back up. Limiting a winged character to a certain amount of wingbeats or something would be silly.

Obviously I don't know my Dragonite facts. And apparently not my Bowser facts too. But I know I've never ever seen him that large. Apart from Giga Bowser, anyways.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Bowser isn't massive or anything. He's still a lot bigger than Mario. But he's never been HUGE.
He doesn't seem like he's been scaled down at all, I'd like to know to which game you're referring to where he was so much larger.

Dragonite and Charizard are both much larger than that. Twice the size of a human being.

Plus there's still, y'know, the stupidity of a character with wings who can't fly.
In Super Mario 64, he was at least twice Mario's size. It looks like Bowser was scaled down a bit. I never said he was so much larger...just larger. Scaled down does not necessarily mean shortened to half his height.

Oh BTW, Charizard's height in the Pokedex is 5'7" (source: My Fire Red and Emerald). That's about 2 inches shorter than me, and I'm not that tall. Yeah I'll give it to you Dragonite is 7'03", but that's only 6 inches taller than Mewtwo.

Pit and Metaknight have wings yet they can't fly long in the game. In the Kirby games, Kirby can fly as much as he wants. So how is it stupid if they don't limit the amount to 6 jumps?

I'll admit, I don't really want them to be playable in Brawl, but it's still possible for them to be in it. The chances of them being playable are a lot lower than most candidates, but the height and flight reasons aren't good reasons to why they can't be in the game.

Edit: Too late for the Dragonite height arguement. Again, what about Metaknight and Pit with wings?

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
why would a character have a lesser chance because of flight and weight? SSB lacks heavy characters, so of course we need more of them. add the fact that the character can also fly, and the character would be completely unique. isnt sakurai looking for unique characters? not a human shaped fighting type like hitmonchan with no unique abilities. if dragonite had a huge fanbase, noone would doubt its chances.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I said flight and height had nothing to do with chances of being in SSBB. Plus Dragonite's fanbase isn't as big as others like Pikachu or Jigglypuff. Yes it would be unique, but isn't Metaknight kind of heavy while being able to fly? Granted he's not as tall, but he still fills that spot as a character.

I doubt Sakurai will add any more Pokemon from Kanto. The whole Pokemon series has moved on to include a lot more. Now there's like 490 Pokemon he could choose from with plenty being a lot more unique.

Personally I want Deoxys in the game to represent the Hoenn generation. If he isn't playable, at least make him a Pokeball character. His ability to change forms for different situations make him unique. I'd be glad if he made any type of appearance, but I won't be upset if he doesn't show up at all. The main ones I want are Mewtwo and Pichu to return.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Yes, he wants unique characters. . . .but unique is not bond to the one definition you use son. . .

Personaly, I would take Ridley as the big heavy winged character. He is heavy, big, winged, unique (he could use mainly projectiles) and he would be one more (and the last) MP character to be added. He also has his fan-base with helps alot. If they scale him down enuff I might actually use him.

MP:3 demo fight with Ridley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAiU9Fs9FHI

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
I said flight and height had nothing to do with chances of being in SSBB.
I know. im just making my point...
Plus Dragonite's fanbase isn't as big as others like Pikachu or Jigglypuff.
no pokemon has a fanbase as big as theirs. how can you compare any pokemon to them?
Yes it would be unique, but isn't Metaknight kind of heavy while being able to fly? Granted he's not as tall, but he still fills that spot as a character.
metaknight? heavy? its as big as kirby. doesnt look heavy at all. metaknight looks like a small moderate weight flying sword user. he doesnt fit the role dragonite could fit. dragonite would be a heavy slightly slow floaty flying character with powerful projectiles. noone fits that role.
I doubt Sakurai will add any more Pokemon from Kanto. The whole Pokemon series has moved on to include a lot more. Now there's like 490 Pokemon he could choose from with plenty being a lot more unique.
i dont see any characters as unique as dragonite. sure, deoxys has form transformation bit its still a psychic like mewtwo that uses telekinisis. what other suggestions are unique? a pair of electric rats? a fire conjuring martial artist?[/QUOTE]

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
Yes, he wants unique characters. . . .but unique is not bond to the one definition you use son. . .
so he is using your definition of unique? the "deeper" one? the one about the potential of how different a character could be even if everything that makes the character recognisable is already present with other characters in the game?
Personaly, I would take Ridley as the big heavy winged character. He is heavy, big, winged, unique (he could use mainly projectiles) and he would be one more (and the last) MP character to be added. He also has his fan-base with helps alot. If they scale him down enuff I might actually use him.
i want ridley to, but ridley and dragonite being different from each other is obvious. ridley is bony, relys on piercing and looks more swift in the air. dragonite is bulky, relies on crushing and seems to be more stable in the air. they could both be unique compared to each other. Dragonite has plenty of unique moves that dont compare to any of ridley's moves.
^^^Both of those suggestions are unique.
how? because the electric rats could have a unique moveset? well guess what, so could every single character. it doesnt make them unique. a unique character would at least have 1 characteristic that nothing else has. P&M dont have any characteristics unique to them. i also dont see any sense of my definition in blaziken either.

kaid

Smash Master
how? because the electric rats could have a unique moveset? well guess what, so could every single character. it doesnt make them unique. a unique character would at least have 1 characteristic that nothing else has. P&M dont have any characteristics unique to them. i also dont see any sense of my definition in blaziken either.
So what does dragonite have that Ridley could never have, that isn't something already in the game?

List format, please.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
powerful tail attacks
telekenitic flight (like peaches floating but also rises the user)
thunder wave
dragon dance
twister
other moves that are in the dragonite moveset i made
alot more pokemon moves that i cbf listing
representation of alot of pokemon related things
expandable wings
maybe il think of more later...

kaid

Smash Master
powerful tail attacks dude, that's Ridley's SIGNATURE move
telekenitic flight (like peaches floating but also rises the user) source?
thunder wave we have enough Electric types already
dragon dance Describe please
twister Gale Boomerang
expandable wings Metaknight
maybe il think of more later...
A description of Dragon Dance would be appreciated. Replys in bold.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
ridley has tail slashes, but dragonite auctually has POWERFUL tail attacks. the types that would crush people.
telekinetic flight? do you see dragonite flap its wings in the anime during flight? it just floats up there. it has also been stated to be an ability it has on some sites.
thunder wave is an attack that no characters have exibited any type of in the game. it also seems to be a natural move of dragonite.
B Down: Dragon Dance - Dragonite would spin around in a 360 degree spin while damaging opponents weakly. After the spin, Dragonite’s movement speed and attack damage would slightly increase temporarily. If Dragon Dance is stacked on with itself, the boost it provides would decrease each time depending on the boost already given until a point when Dragonite’s stats are increased by around 30%. Then Dragonite’s stats would not be able to increase any further. All stat changes would be removed if Dragonite is KO’ed.
i know, sounds a little broken but it could be modified to fit in the game. decreasing the stats it boosts and that maximum boost.
i havnt seen a gale boomerang tornadoe before, but i doubt its anything like a dragonite twister. instead of being funnel shaped, its shaped like a spiral cylinder.
metaknight doesnt have expandable wings. it has a cape that transforms into wings. its not the same thing.

EggBomb

Smash Apprentice
I always thought it would be cool if a Fighting type Eevee was introduced in the game. It would encourage neg-gen handheld/console connectivity and allow for a player to send an Eevee into the smash, evolve it into a fighting type and sent back into the Pokemon game.

smash-aholic

Smash Cadet
I see what you guys are saying. Ya Dragonite would be a pretty cool addition to the game
Maybe dragon dance as a taunt? or something like a Mario tornado thingy. where he like spin around. Here are some other attacks that might work for him.(not telekewhachumacalit flight)
glide? (it has wings)
scratch
punch
dragon breath (kinda like bowser's fire)
body slam (Yoshi's down b)
I think those are perfectly good

MasterGary

Smash Ace
im surprised nowun has sed anything about scyther. he seems like a pretty fitting character for this. but i wud prefer scizor. both of them cud hav sum pretty cool moves.

Black/Light

Smash Master
so he is using your definition of unique? the "deeper" one? the one about the potential of how different a character could be even if everything that makes the character recognisable is already present with other characters in the game?
1. It's not MY definition, its the most commonly used definition/ meaning of said word. (As in; She has a unique smile, she has a unique accent, his art style is very unique)
2. If he where to use UNIQUE like you use it (in it's limated meaning) it would be very bad for fans (no more sword users/ mages/ bombers/ hand-to-hand/ fire using ect characters because there already characters like that in the game).

Pluse and Minun DO have unique characteristics. Heres a few. . .
Helping Hand (helps partner power up well partner is doing a attack)
Baton pass (they can change the leader)
Possilbly 2 move-sets ( Baton pass could open up a different move-set for either one to work with)
Natural magnetism
I could go on and on but you should already know that they would be unique if you can somehow learn from past arguments.
Blaze. . .
Fire projetiles (No character has a fire attack that acts as a projetile)
Style of fighting (The sure amount of ways her kicks can be proformed are great enuff to list that as a reason)
Bird attacks from her game (Theres no characters in Smash that can do aerial ace or brave bird)
I could go on but we has been over this.

Yeah, Falcon uses like 2-3 fire attacks. . .Blaze comes from a game with many different fire attacks she can learn to make her fire moves unique plus flying attacks that no one else in smash can learn.

And again, your limated definition of the word unique doesn't give you any say over how unique something can be. Learn to use more than one definition to a word son, it will help you in school and life.

Inkysoup

Smash Rookie
Hmm...is this for PokeBalls or Playable chars.?

For PokeBalls, I could really care less.

For Chars. Lugia, Igglybuff/Wigglytuff, (my friend wants ash @_@), Missingno, or Kaghaskahn :].

MasterGary

Smash Ace

For Chars. Lugia, Igglybuff/Wigglytuff, (my friend wants ash @_@), Missingno, or Kaghaskahn :].
explain me how egzactly lugia wud fight?hav u seen the size of lugia? iglybuff and wigglytuff wud hav the same moves as jiglypuff. did u even think about this b4 u posted it?

smash-aholic

Smash Cadet

Ya I agree with MasterGary... LUGIA is an item in ssbm, HE IS HUGE, what attacks would he use?
Missingo is a glitch... y would they make it part of the game if its a glitch?, Kaghaskahn is just normal and not unique enough.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ya I agree with MasterGary... LUGIA is an item in ssbm, HE IS HUGE, what attacks would he use?
Missingo is a glitch... y would they make it part of the game if its a glitch?, Kaghaskahn is just normal and not unique enough.
They might make Missingno a trophy, just because Missiongno is quite a famous glitch in the original Pokemon game. PC or Pokeball? No, probably not.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
I see what you guys are saying. Ya Dragonite would be a pretty cool addition to the game
Maybe dragon dance as a taunt? or something like a Mario tornado thingy. where he like spin around. Here are some other attacks that might work for him.(not telekewhachumacalit flight)
glide? (it has wings)
scratch
punch
dragon breath (kinda like bowser's fire)
body slam (Yoshi's down b)
I think those are perfectly good
hmmm... i see what you mean... what do you think of this?
B: dragon breath (like bowsers fire but its green)
B side: fire punch (like c falcons raptor boost but dragonite "glides" above ground while doing it instead of sliding)
B down: body slam (like bowsers b down but dragonite goes belly first)
B up: agility (a slightly slower version of pikachu's quick attack)
hmmm... what do you think? isnt it better than a moveset with moves that have not been introduced in any way into SSB?

MasterGary

Smash Ace
B side: fire punch (like c falcons raptor boost but dragonite "glides" above ground while doing it instead of sliding)
hmmm... what do you think? isnt it better than a moveset with moves that have not been introduced in any way into SSB?
with this moveset. it just seems that dragonite wud be a clone. but not with moves from only 1 player. just a big dragon with moves from evrywun.

urban_shinobi

Smash Journeyman
as the guy above me said, and fierce this is why i wouldnt want them to put dragonite in, is because of the crap they would do. i'd rather have a pokemon with moves never seen, or remotely resembling anyone else. that's why they cant put too many pokemon in, the moves would make it seem like a japanese frankenstein. it'll have marios down b, falcons right b, and would b just pointless. we need a pokemon that is unpopular, cuz most of the ones that are have original move ( not to say dragonite is unoriginal, it just has too much resembelence to other characters). if they could make some good moves, like maybe give it some moves from D/P (TM sadly) that may be good, ,in my insight

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
you do know i was being sarcastic about that moveset, right? dragonite doesnt resemble anything. i swear you make no sense. only unpopular pokemon can have unique movesets?

urban_shinobi

Smash Journeyman
i didnt say dragonite couldnt have a unique moveset, and sadly sarcasm doesnt work over the internet unless u actually type the word. i many pokemon, slightly popular or unpopular have many moves differnt than many of their cousins. many moves that cant b learned by the popular types are in the others. pokemon like dragonite or charizard have some great moves, but sadly they are already in the game. some moves just arent learnable by some. sorry if i make no sense, i usually type these as i go along, and have no set train of thought. i never said dragonite resembled anything, but many moves that are his sig or would look great DO resemble something already in the game. truthfully, i dont any mess ups. i' drather have a pokemon i hate with a good moveset, than a really good pokemon get dumbed down for the game, or become a frankencharacter

SatanX

Smash Apprentice
well since i main wit pikachu i vote for Raichu but hes not on tha list lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom