• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which character's moveset do you least enjoy?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I know this sounds crazy, but I'm horrible with :ultcloud:. It's strange, because he's similar to my main :ultyoshi:.

Also bad with Fastfallers that don't look it, like :ultsheik: and the Star Fox guys.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Palutena. She's so incredibly generic. And why the crap does a goddess of magic type character have a counter? Just seems pretty lazy to me.

Also she doesn't play all that well. I like her smashes that's it. Highly subjective, but I thought another magetype character would be very enjoyable, yet she's really basic.
The counter's one of the skills you get in KIU.
She had 2 others to choose from, but they went with that...

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Sad to see so many people dislike Olimar's moveset. I always loved how incredibly true to his series he is and his skill ceiling. Was always a reliable secondary of mine.

I have always been very bored of characters with movesets that don't allow for a lot of skill expression. Yoshi, Bayonetta, Mario, Cloud, Zero Suit etc. Lucario holds the most deserving award of the most bland moveset to me - nothing about his kit is engaging to me and nothing feels good. To top it off, Lucario's design around his aura is inherently such a flawed system that I am always annoyed that I have to take damage first before becoming effective. Just always seemed very counterintuitive.

I'm sad to see mention of Fox and Falco here though

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Sad to see so many people dislike Olimar's moveset. I always loved how incredibly true to his series he is and his skill ceiling. Was always a reliable secondary of mine.

I have always been very bored of characters with movesets that don't allow for a lot of skill expression. Yoshi, Bayonetta, Mario, Cloud, Zero Suit etc. Lucario holds the most deserving award of the most bland moveset to me - nothing about his kit is engaging to me and nothing feels good. To top it off, Lucario's design around his aura is inherently such a flawed system that I am always annoyed that I have to take damage first before becoming effective. Just always seemed very counterintuitive.

I keep hearing conflicting stories about Yoshi's skill ceiling and it drives me up a wall. Do you actually think he's too easy to master or are you just hearing about it from outside sources (i.e. people who lose to Yoshis on FG all the time)? I'm sorry if I come across as confrontational but I just want to know.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Fox and Falco aren't bad, they are just really boring to me, Falco significantly less so.

I too, like Olimar though. Apart from that, I'm not huge on fighters you listed, except ZSS and Lucario, they are fun.

Standlord

Smash Cadet
Let's see, I'm going to focus on stuff that irks me because of the missed potential/bad balancing or design issues. Sure there are characters that I don't like playing like Sheik because she doesn't fit my playstyle, but I could adjust to that with patience and probably I would enjoy it. This stuff though...

:ultpalutena: Palutena: She was my most wanted character during smash 4 days but her moveset turned out to be a complete disappointment. Like, you have a Goddess of light that can do all type of magic stuff and decide to give her a generic counter and a reflector? I'm sorry but that's lazy af. The reflector and the counter just got paired up and she now has the flame explosion thing, but its not like that's any better. The interesting moves where the super speed thing and the lightweight thing, which also fit better her character, and those moves are nowhere to be seen now (let's not even talk about how bad custom moves were managed in smash 4). Her neutral special should be a chargeable / maybe even storable move, only that way would it be fun. Her up special is ok, fits her character and there's nothing wrong with it, but I think they could have combined it with the custom move that lets her glide in smash 4. Other than that, I always had the impression that her smash attacks have weird hitboxes and her tilts are super laggy. She is only fun to use in the air.

:ultshulk: Shulk: I haven't played his game yet, but I always thought that the monado arts look better in paper than in actual fight, and that's the best of his kit. His up special is just a variation of Marth's, and his side special must be the most lackluster move in the game. Didn't he had anything better in his source game to work with?

:4charizard: Charizard: I love Charizard, but I don't understand how they don't make a flying type Pokemon better in the air. You know, with better aerial speed and more jumps, I would love him even more. I think Ridley is going to fall into the same issue, despite being a dragon he is not exactly good in the air from what I've seen, with only 3 jumps and all that.

:ultbayonetta: Bayonetta: I just don't like cheap and overly oppressive combos. Yeah I don't SDI and whatever you want, I don't think it's a good design for smash or it was poorly implemented.

:ultcloud: Cloud: The worst thing about Cloud is also his best: he feels extremely satisfying to use with so little effort. He is cheap. Like, what's the point in using other big sword users if this dude swings the biggest sword in the game with the best frame data possible. I just don't like playing him for that reason, I just feel bad. He needs better balancing.

:ultlittlemac:Little Mac: I don't know what to say about this dude. He is not exactly a top tier so his balancing shouldn't be too bad. But every time I play against him or I use him, it's a complete hit or miss. Either you destroy the opponent, or you get rekt, most of the time it feels like there is no counterplay. I guess something about his design as a character just feels bad to me. Not saying he shouldn't be this way because this is probably the best way to do it, but it's something I cannot enjoy, and unlike others, I don't feel like I can adjust to him.

:ultsamus: Samus: She feels so laggy (those rolls pls) and her moveset could use some updates.

:ultroy: Roy: When you are so close to decloning a character, why would you leave it like that? I could say the same for other characters, but with Roy it irks me the most, specially since he was a DLC character you know (very bad idea imo, that's where all the FE hate started, having two DLC FE characters was not a wise move, they should have left him for smash 5 and bring someone new or Wolf instead). I cannot say I don't like playing him, but Marth is always the superior choice for me. With further decloning it could have been different.

:ulticeclimbers: Ice Climbers: Again, their moveset could have used some improvements for Ultimate. Their specials feel way too simple.

:ultganondorf: Ganondorf: Don't even get me started on this lowest-tier Falcon clone.

I could throw complains here and there for other characters too but these are the worst for me.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The counter's one of the skills you get in KIU.
She had 2 others to choose from, but they went with that...
Well, her fighting style in the boss fights you get with her is rather defensive, she doesn't move around much but throws up a lot projectiles and disruptive moves to make attacking her (or the bug possessing her) difficult. One move that sticks out is those "turrets" she conjures up that slowly advance on you while shooting and taking hits. With that in mind I don't think it's too out-of-character to have her defensive options be her defaults, just touch up the frame data on some of her moves and she's solid.

Let's see, I'm going to focus on stuff that irks me because of the missed potential/bad balancing or design issues. Sure there are characters that I don't like playing like Sheik because she doesn't fit my playstyle, but I could adjust to that with patience and probably I would enjoy it. This stuff though...

:ultpalutena: Palutena: She was my most wanted character during smash 4 days but her moveset turned out to be a complete disappointment. Like, you have a Goddess of light that can do all type of magic stuff and decide to give her a generic counter and a reflector? I'm sorry but that's lazy af. The reflector and the counter just got paired up and she now has the flame explosion thing, but its not like that's any better. The interesting moves where the super speed thing and the lightweight thing, which also fit better her character, and those moves are nowhere to be seen now (let's not even talk about how bad custom moves were managed in smash 4). Her neutral special should be a chargeable / maybe even storable move, only that way would it be fun. Her up special is ok, fits her character and there's nothing wrong with it, but I think they could have combined it with the custom move that lets her glide in smash 4. Other than that, I always had the impression that her smash attacks have weird hitboxes and her tilts are super laggy. She is only fun to use in the air.

:4charizard: Charizard: I love Charizard, but I don't understand how they don't make a flying type Pokemon better in the air. You know, with better aerial speed and more jumps, I would love him even more. I think Ridley is going to fall into the same issue, despite being a dragon he is not exactly good in the air from what I've seen, with only 3 jumps and all that.

:ulticeclimbers: Ice Climbers: Again, their moveset could have used some improvements for Ultimate. Their specials feel way too simple.

I could throw complains here and there for other characters too but these are the worst for me.
Making a goddess playable and balanced... no matter what she's always going going to look disappointing compared to source material. Same story with:ultdarksamus:, and :ultridley: has been struggling with that perception for years. Speaking of Ridley though, his air game is awesome, what are talking you about. His nair alone is insane, like Cloud nair before the nerf and just a tad slower, fair is good for comboing and edgeguarding, uair is a super juggle and bair is your standard-issue power kick.

All Ice Climbers do in their game is jump and swing hammers. What more can you reasonably give them other than an ice theme?

Standlord

Smash Cadet
Well, her fighting style in the boss fights you get with her is rather defensive, she doesn't move around much but throws up a lot projectiles and disruptive moves to make attacking her (or the bug possessing her) difficult. One move that sticks out is those "turrets" she conjures up that slowly advance on you while shooting and taking hits. With that in mind I don't think it's too out-of-character to have her defensive options be her defaults, just touch up the frame data on some of her moves and she's solid.

Making a goddess playable and balanced... no matter what she's always going going to look disappointing compared to source material. Same story with:ultdarksamus:, and :ultridley: has been struggling with that perception for years. Speaking of Ridley though, his air game is awesome, what are talking you about. His nair alone is insane, like Cloud nair before the nerf and just a tad slower, fair is good for comboing and edgeguarding, uair is a super juggle and bair is your standard-issue power kick.

All Ice Climbers do in their game is jump and swing hammers. What more can you reasonably give them other than an ice theme?
:ultpalutena: Just compare her specials to Zelda's for example (another magic user). Zelda doesn't have a counter just because. The point I was trying to make is, she is a Goddess, she doesn't have to be limited to boring and simplistic specials. The only limit is the imagination, and that for me is such a missed opportunity. For example the custom specials I mentioned were fine by me. I don't see how those could have been disappointing compared to source material.

I guess you mean :ultsamus:. What I would love for Samus is use that "counter" move she had for her side smash, eliminate morph ball for her rolls (they just make her slower and doesn't make much sense imo) and update visually her down special (and maybe make it an option to maintain the morph ball while in the ground if you hold it or something).

:ultridley: I was talking about his number of jumps and aerial speed (specially the number of jumps) not his frame data. I don't even know about his frame data yet and it's probably going to change from here to release anyways.

:ulticeclimbers: Change their ice theme? No. I'm saying that their specials are boring to me. How could they improve? Well, I'd make their side special a chargeable move that you could combine with their down b (you press side b, charge the move if you want, and then realease and press down b, or even just b to make it simpler). That would make them throw ice like their down special does, but while they move around spinning. The down b by itself is pretty lackluster, you are static and throw a little bit of ice, and that's all. At least make it bigger and/or make it chargeable too. There might be something more to be done idk right now, but it's not about changing their theme, it's about expanding their options and thus making them more fun.

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I keep hearing conflicting stories about Yoshi's skill ceiling and it drives me up a wall. Do you actually think he's too easy to master or are you just hearing about it from outside sources (i.e. people who lose to Yoshis on FG all the time)? I'm sorry if I come across as confrontational but I just want to know.
I am not Yoshi's biggest fan but I have given him a chance in every smash game.

It always seemed to me that Yoshi's kit is very front loaded onto a few attacks that are a little overtuned. That is, he is very dependent on a small fraction of his moves and the rest simply pale in comparison. Because this effectively means he does not have to utilize a huge amount of his moveset to be successful (using the "front loaded" moves), I don't find his gameplay exciting or engaging to play as or against.

This is, of course, a subjective topic.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
If I'm going off the in-game stats my least used characters are

64: :ultluigi:

Melee: :ulticeclimbers::ultgnw:

Brawl::ultsonic::ultolimar:

And Smash4::ultsonic::ultlucario::ultpit:

If im not playing a character its typically because i dont like the way they play or their moveset feels redundant to another charater.

Luigi is 64 is just a way worse mario, this is before he got luigified.

Ice climbers in melee, more so than brawl, feel out of control and counter intuitive. Nana has way more of her own mind in melee. I significantly like IC ‘s better in brawl because you have way more control over nana which makes them so much better to play. Which Smash Ult has me worried cause it looks like nana is way more random and out of control again.

G&W in melee feels like a unfinished character. He is more refined and much more fun in later games. Especially with the changed nair and up-b

Brawl sonic, boring, spin, spin, spin, as three of his specials? Really

Olimar Id say is just a combination of being complicated and bland. Having to know basically 5 different sets of damage and knockback is a little overbearing . Tether only recovery in brawl also wasnt very fun to deal with. Plus he just throws pikman, which is fine based on his source games, its true to his character. But playing him just feels overly campy/spammy.

Sonic again same as above. Spin spin spin run away run away. Thats not fun.

Lucario is overshadowed now that mewtwo is back I feel. His moves are a bunch of generic kicks and punches. Has a counter like everyone else. Side - B ive never understood as a move why have that move when everyone has a standing grab anyways. Its only unique in that its a mid air grab that is hard to land for little reward. Aura sphere was a stolen move from mewtwo when he was cut in brawl, but now that mewtwo is back...... And lastly aura is a mechanic that is like rage, rewards you for losing............

Pit - liked his design in brawl way better. UpB is generic now compared to gliding and wings of icarus. SideB a generic rush move now over nenenenenene. Down B his shield was way better than those oribital rings. Essentially he got more generic and less unique in smash4. And to boot he has laggy moves in general, most are two hit moves that DI beats and he is lacking kill moves. All total equal a bland and not fun character to play.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
:ultpalutena: Just compare her specials to Zelda's for example (another magic user). Zelda doesn't have a counter just because. The point I was trying to make is, she is a Goddess, she doesn't have to be limited to boring and simplistic specials. The only limit is the imagination, and that for me is such a missed opportunity. For example the custom specials I mentioned were fine by me. I don't see how those could have been disappointing compared to source material.

I guess you mean :ultsamus:. What I would love for Samus is use that "counter" move she had for her side smash, eliminate morph ball for her rolls (they just make her slower and doesn't make much sense imo) and update visually her down special (and maybe make it an option to maintain the morph ball while in the ground if you hold it or something).
No I do very much mean Dark Samus. Just look at the stuff she pulls in her boss fights and tell me those would be fair, balanced moves. Samus Returns probably came too late for anything from that game to be considered for Ultimate, and morph balling has nothing to do with roll speed. They made it faster in Ultimate without changing the concept. And in case you were wondering...

ESAM wasn't the only one, and I was talking about Dark Samus' dash attack being more like Samus' dash attack from SSB4 before ESAM made that video. Check some of my posts around the room.

I ended up with 42 frames for Dark Samus' roll. Samus' roll in SSBU from the Samus versus Ridley battle from the 2018 invitational is 38 frames. It appears to have a 10.53% increase in frames on the second roll, however, making Samus' second roll 42 frames. Now, consider in the video that Dark Samus air-dodged first before rolling. It would appear then that the dodging mechanic includes dodge, air-dodge, and rolling as all one and the same, as ZeRo has suspected. This means Dark Samus' roll may just be the same as Samus' roll in terms of frames. It just looks different.
Dark Samus's roll is not any faster than Samus's despite not using the Morph Ball. You can make any kind of roll fast or slow by changing the animation speed, look at dodge staling.

Yes the sky's the limit when talking about a goddess. But at the end of the day you have to think about balance and can only fit so many moves onto a character. And Brawl is undisputed proof you can't have any form of true, unlimited flight without it being prone to abuse.

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
:ultpalutena: Such an uninspired base moveset for a character that has a lot to draw from. She is the freaking goddess of light, and she's out here doing counters and teleports like we don't have a good dozen characters that can already do those things. Literally any of her other up-B's would have been a more interesting option. Even her final smash is lame, like we already have the black hole into laser thing being done by Megaman, y'know a character that it actually makes sense for. Not to mention that we have the black hole item as well. I also hate how they found a way to make so many her moves seem laggy and slow. I know she can twirl that staff faster than that.

:ultsonic: I know spin dash is important to Sonic's moveset but did they really need 2 versions of the same attack as his specials. As much as I enjoy playing him, he has to have one of the most visually uninteresting movesets with him having so many attacks where he curls up into a ball. While it is the most iconic thing about him, there are plenty of things he does that aren't just rolling into a ball such as one of his many tornado/wind attacks, his boost, heck even wisp.

Standlord

Smash Cadet
No I do very much mean Dark Samus. Just look at the stuff she pulls in her boss fights and tell me those would be fair, balanced moves. Samus Returns probably came too late for anything from that game to be considered for Ultimate, and morph balling has nothing to do with roll speed. They made it faster in Ultimate without changing the concept. And in case you were wondering...

Dark Samus's roll is not any faster than Samus's despite not using the Morph Ball. You can make any kind of roll fast or slow by changing the animation speed, look at dodge staling.

Yes the sky's the limit when talking about a goddess. But at the end of the day you have to think about balance and can only fit so many moves onto a character. And Brawl is undisputed proof you can't have any form of true, unlimited flight without it being prone to abuse.
I thought you were referring to Samus because I talked about her, and not Dark Samus as an example to Palutena stuff. Anyways you can make practically any move balanced, unless you want to stop time completely or do something crazy that occupies half of the screen. I haven't played Dark Samus' games but I thought we were talking about Palutena, which already had two perfectly valid moves in the form of smash 4 custom moves.

Yes, at the end of the day you can only fit so many moves into a character. Like, you know, you can fit the fun moves that would make her unique and not the generic counter and reflector.

Better not bring brawl as an example, that game had practically 0 balance done to it so I don't think it's the best example. Glide mechanics in smash 4 custom doesn't let you glide forever right? It's just a move that lets you descend slowly, and not forever, I wouldn't like that either. Anyways, I would be fine with just the change to her neutral B I mentioned and bringing back her superspeed and/or lightweight. I don't see how any of that is broken. If you really think you cannot bring better specials using imagination without making it overpowered, maybe you are being closed minded or you are too attached to her smash 4 standard representation. And if that's the case, don't take it personally, each one has their preferences I guess, maybe you enjoy the counter or the flame burst thing more than I do, but this is a thread to express opinions you know, you are not going to change my mind just because you think something is OP (which doesn't make much sense because you are basically telling me that anything that is not her current moveset is OP) or because you like something more than what I suggest. In fact most of the people seems to agree that her moveset could have been better.

Btw if they made Samus' roll faster without changing the animation and not making it look weird then great, I'm not opposed to that animation, just the fact that it made her sluggish in 4 and it's not like it makes sense to dodge that way anyways, but if it has a normal speed then great, I'll probably enjoy her more. And... Samus returns came out in 2015, I think just in time, so I don't think they couldn't have put that in, but ok, I'll take it as too recent if you want.

Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
Wii Fit Trainer to me just feels pretty terrible to play all around. I have no idea what to do with her and everything feels oddly pathetic. I have a soft spot for many janky characters like Bowser Jr and such, but Wii Fit Trainer goes beyond that for me.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
:ultolimar::ultwiifittrainer:These two I can never get the hang of.

D

Deleted member

I've never had fun playing Olimar. He was one of the newcomers I was most looking forward to trying out when Brawl was new but...eh. Never felt satisfying landing any attacks with him.

Agreed about Fox and Falco. Never got what's supposed to so interesting and fun about them nor why people love Falco in Melee.
combos yo.

man, you just don’t know how good a pillar feels.

then again, I’m an aggressive player so...

who don’t I like?

Olimar

little *****.

I liked Olimar I’m his game.

I’m sad too! Fox, Falco, and Marth?

If you can’t have fun with them then you’re swagless.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Palutena is really stale to me, I don't like half her moves and feel like Jab1>grab combo is basically what you should always be doing without a hard read.

Duck hunt dog is fun to play, but I really dislike the flavor of his specials. I really wish he and the duck felt more useful, but it seems like you're gimping yourself unless you abuse the weird men and beans.

won't go into mii fighters.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
To be honest I can get down with playing any character in the game. The moveset that annoys me the most is :mewtwomelee:Mewtwo's moveset. His moveset can be fun to play at least. It's just that for a pokemon who's entire deal is to be the best PSYCHIC pokemon there is, he sure does do a lot of Melee attacks. There's a lot of stuff like that among many characters, just Mewtwo is the most obvious of the bunch. I was shocked when I found out Meta Knight didn't have down thrust as his down air since he does it in literally every 2d side scrolling fight he is in. Especially since we have a bunch of characters that have a down air that acts similarly even though they normally never do it. At least he has Mach Tornado, and I'm a little surprised that's in since he usually does the giant tornado attack and sword beams in every fight since superstar. I could go on how other characters aren't the best representions or don't use iconic stuff from their games, but I won't bother saying more about it cause balance..... even if I get a salty about it sometimes.

Gameplaywise the character's moveset I hate playing the most would be :4dk:Donkey Kong. Sure you may be able to KO the opponent in a few hits, but until then you're not going to be able to do much and it's annoying as you get hit around everywhere. I don't even like fighting Donkey Kong for the same reason because it always feels like they aren't even trying so I just combo them for ages because literally everything works on DK. It never feels like a close match. Even the rare times I get KO'd by him doesn't really make me feel anything. It just doesn't feel like there's any tension to the fight at all. If I want to fight someone that can KO me really fast I'd rather play Little Mac or Lucario. Little Mac is just really scary in the hands of a good player and it's so fun. Lucario at higher %s gets really tense because you know you gotta finish him off fast, but if you get too desperate for a KO they will read it and avoid it and punish you, whether I'm playing or fighting a Lucario when it becomes high %, it's always going to get my heart pumping.

Honorable mentions are :ultpacman: Pac-Man because he just feels so darn boring to play. However, seeing Pac-Man mains use the items the way they do make me really want to try playing him. Another one is :4wario:Wario, just because I have no idea how to play him. However, I could potentially like their moveset if I played them a bit more. A lot of characters a like that, hence why I'm trying to get myself to have 100 matches with every character just to get the general idea of them.

Mgl

Smash Apprentice
Palutena is like a mishmash of bad ideas put into one moveset

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I also have got to say Olimar, Paluntena is an honorable mention though not because of her moveset being particularly bad but because some of her custom specials are better which kind of just makes the default moveset disappointing.

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Palutena is so generic and having both a reflect and a counter is really a waste

Sonic has three moves that look and function basically the same

Ganon is for some reason a clone of a fighter from a completely different series and they made him slow as molasses

LucR

Smash Rookie
I'm not a fan of Palutena. She's way too slow and doesn't make up for it in terms of power.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
:ultrob: - His move set is as boring as the actual character is. I don't even find fighting him fun cause he lacks anything flashy or cool with rather bland animations. Never find anything redeeming about him except he has his very little fan base. Good for him, I guess.

:ultpalutena: - She felt really clunky for me. Maybe she'll be better here, but her Smash debut overall made me feel Medusa should of been the addition over her especially with what we got.

:ultrosalina:- Couldn't play her like at all. Maybe the larger screen will help me in Ultimate.

:ultduckhunt: - Like Rosalina, their style didn't click with me and left me feeling frustrated more often than not.

:ultganondorf: - Never found slow Captain Falcon clone fun to use.

:ultwario: - Farting being one of his specials just turns me away from him. Just seems very childish and turned me away from him.

Last edited:

Jakisthe

Smash Cadet
Sonic's is trash; too many very similar moves, mechanically and visually boring.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Never had fun with Olimar or Dedede's movesets personally, they just don't work for me.

Mona Pizza

Smash Cadet
Palutena ended up being quite disappointing. I found her to be very cumbersome and slow with hardly any power in her attacks. More puzzling is the fact that she was given a counter and a reflector and that her custom specials are actually much better than her default moveset. Not at all what I was anticipating for the Goddess of Light. In hindsight, I feel that either Hades or Medusa would have been a far better choice of fighter to include in the roster.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Palutena ended up being quite disappointing. I found her to be very cumbersome and slow with hardly any power in her attacks. More puzzling is the fact that she was given a counter and a reflector and that her custom specials are actually much better than her default moveset. Not at all what I was anticipating for the Goddess of Light. In hindsight, I feel that either Hades or Medusa would have been a far better choice of fighter to include in the roster.

Balancing issues is kind of a silly reason to not want a character over others. That's like saying, in hindsight, they shouldn't have included Meta Knight and Bayonetta since they were broken, character fans be damned. How do you know they wouldn't have similarly "botched" Medusa?

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Pac-man and Sonic, I just can't get the feel for either of them, but Pac-man's kit is at least interesting.

On the flip side, Mario feels extremely natural to me, but I can't bring myself to pick him up because his kit is so boring.

I also can't really get into any of the sword characters other than Ike, but I don't struggle with them to the same extent that I do Pac and Sonic.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Pokemon Trainer. I hate style-switching characters. And he's the only one still in the game.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
From 64, I would have to pick :ultfox: I've never liked him that much, but in 64 I just didn't enjoy playing as him. He felt weird and I had a lot of troubles to get a kill with him.

From Melee, :ultmewtwo: would be my pick as the character I enjoyed the least. He got (a bit) fixed in 4, but in Melee he is so light... He was fun to use, though, I liked reflecting projectiles with him.

From Brawl, I never got the hang of :ultsnake: I liked him but I am not that good with projectile-based characters... or so I thought till I played with Duck Hunt, which is really fun and easy to use for me.

From 4, I don't mind to admit that I was disappointed with :ultpalutena:'s base movements, but playing her with custom moves activated was soooo much fun. I'm kinda scared for her in Ultimate, I don't know what is going to happen with her custom moves. I wouldn't mind a Medusa echo with Palutena's old movements tbh. But the character I couldn't bring myself to use was undoubtedly :ultlittlemac: Sorry, but I need to fight in the air or I'm donezo. Little Mac won't ever be my choice.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
Sonic. Hate playing as him, hate playing against him. Also why the **** are his down-b and side-b essentially the same thing?

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
:kirbymelee:: Maybe it's just because I started with Brawl, but everything about this puff-ball's moveset in Melee was just... ew. At first, I thought it was just the dash attack and Side-B that sucked, but no, this character is genuinely awful in Melee.
Post-Melee:mario:: I'm sure F.L.U.D.D. has plenty of utility. It's just that I'd rather have the spin attack instead.
Project M :zerosuitsamus:: Can someone please explain to me what it was that the people who made Project M saw in ZSS' moveset in Brawl that required them to completely ruin it in the way that they did?
Pre-Split :sheilda:: I'm not a fan of character-changing gimmicks, especially because of how eeriely similar they are to... *blood pressure rises* tekken stance fighters... *slowly calms down* ...which is why I'm glad the Wii U's hardware limitations forced the developers to scrap the concept for Smash 4. And while
:4charizard:: Did you put on weight since Brawl or something?! Charizard's slowness in Smash 4 was probably the main reason why I was (and somewhat still am) skeptical of Ridley's inclusion in the Smash 4 days: I was worried that Ridley would either end up being like Charizard; a lumbering oaf who doesn't have the satisfying firepower of Ganondorf or Ike, or he'd end up being an exaggerated satire of Corrin's Forward-Smash that would give even Brawl Meta Knight nightmares.

:ultcloud:: His moveset's fine. I just wish there was a way to control when you used up the Limit Gauge. For example, maybe I want to save the guage for when an emergency recovery but still have access to his projectiles.
:ultdoc:: Why is his recovery so terrible again? I didn't mind it in Melee, but in Smash 4, regular Mario kinda stinks, so I'd like to have Dr. Mario around k thx.
:ulticeclimbers:: I can't wrap my head around puppet characters tbh.
:ultlittlemac:: Press X, Y or Side-B to Die Instantly
:ultolimar:: I can't wrap my head around puppet characters tbh.
:ultpalutena:: A lot of people give Smash 4 flak for having a lot of characters with Counter Down-Specials, but Default Palutena is really the only character I can think of where the Counter was unacceptably inappropriate, especially since they went with a Reflect for a Side-B. They really should've have frontloaded her specials list with passive, reactionary abilities. The rest of the moveset isn't that much better, but the specials are the biggest problem. If they give her better specials, I'll move this over to "Game-Specific ****-ups," but if her specials end up being carried over, we're gonna have some serious problems over here. For Arceus' sake, Nintendo, this is a goddess of light we're talking about over here. How hard is it to give her some flashy magic attacks, hmm?
:ultpichu:: Literally just Pikachu but worse. Shame, too, because I find Pichu much cuter as a pokemon than Pikachu.
:ultpokemontrainer:: See "Pre-Split Shelda" section of "Game-Specific ****-ups."
:ultrobin: Their moveset's fine. I just don't like the durability gimmick. I'd prefer a nerfed Levon Sword over a Levon Sword that becomes worthless at seemingly random points. Same with the book. Luckily, they're having a bar at the bottom to show durability, so maybe I'll move this over to "Game-Specific ****-ups."
:ultrosalina:: I can't wrap my head around puppet characters tbh.
:ultryu:: So I've finally gotten around to playing SF4U recently, and I've figured out why his reach is so bad in Smash 4: they translated his moveset verbatim from the SF games. You have to throw a punch much farther in Smash to cover the "same" distance as you would in Street Fighter, because characters are usually much further away from eachother.
:ultsheik:: Split or no split, "weird hitboxes" just isn't my style, I guess.
:ultshulk:: I can't tell if his moveset is amazing or terrible, because I'm too busy fiddling with his Monado gimmick. By the time I have the element I want, I forget to actually do stuff, so I end up spamming the Side-B.
:ultwiifittrainer:: See Sheik.
:ultzelda:: Split or no split, Zelda feels a bit too passive compared to Peach for my liking.

Last edited:

hposter

Smash Apprentice
i like :ultfalco: as a character and play him sometimes but i could just never get too comfortable with his moveset.

Darches

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2105-9602-3489
Any character who's strategy is to spam the same few attacks repeatedly, relying on spacing rather than mindgames. If my opponent wants to spam projectiles all day I'd rather play an FPS where I could snipe them repeatedly for their insolence (although I'm more of a shotgun guy).

So I basically hate about half of the characters. Some are worse than others...

Top Bottom