• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where Have The Rivalries Gone?

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I just don't get why youre on smashboards if you think nothing is going to change. You post a lot on the Smash 4 threads. Do you expect to be the next big thing in Smash 4 or what?
Nothing IS going to change. So I guess you're right. Why am I even here?

Having said that, I'm on the Smash 4 boards all the time 'cause it's the next interesting thing. I don't live in the past, which seems to be a major problem here. I guess I was too blind to see it, though the major hint should've been Project M and the resurgence of Smash 64.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion

Having said that, I'm on the Smash 4 boards all the time 'cause it's the next interesting thing. I don't live in the past, which seems to be a major problem here. I guess I was too blind to see it, though the major hint should've been Project M and the resurgence of Smash 64.
Well I'm sorry that you can't see that things do change, even in the old games. People get better and new things are discovered all the time. It just sounds like you're completely ignorant in regards to the 64 scene at least (given that you called KERO a newbie or whatever regardless of the fact that he's one of the guys M2K can't beat at 64)

The article makes it seem like M2K destroyed TOP 64 players like it was nothing (kinda the reason why I disagree with this article like Kero). M2K has beaten good NA 64 players, but M2K would not make a top 100 list worldwide for 64.

But eh, you're not going to change your mind because you're just here for the negativity. I'll be excited about all of the amazing talent in smash 64 while you put your hopes on something that nobody has played.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Well I'm sorry that you can't see that things do change, even in the old games.
Not going to quote the whole post, but this was pretty much the post I was waiting to see. Someone who's willing to explain WHY I should change my mind about it.

I'll go ahead and give it the benefit of the doubt and keep watching, at the very least.

As for Smash 4 again, I'm not putting my hopes on the game, I'm looking forward to it 'cause it's, y'know, Smash. And it's new. That's equally as exciting to me as checking out amazing talent in Smash 64 is to you. We both just have different priorities.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
From what I've seen, nobody in 64 seems to care much about tournaments, placing, hype, or rivalries. They all just love to play the game.

To me that's what a video game community should be all about... I mean I guess hype would make the community grow, but I think the people would be joining for the wrong reason.

Like how the smash documentary got a lot of new players into melee for its popularity, hype and rivalries. Are those the people you want joining? More people to beat I guess...
I know nothing about 64. Never even played it. But if any of this post is true, it sounds like a community I would want to join.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
These blog posts about the "good ol' days" are getting really old. Times change, the game changes. Learn to love what you have and stop pining for the past.

Multiple studies show that our perception of our happiness in the past does not match with the reality of our happiness in the past. In other words, "rose-colored glasses" are the cause of your nostalgia in almost every case.

Last edited:

Studstill

Smash Ace
Lol did you just call kero new to the scene?

You have no ****ing clue what you're talking about

I think you're wrong because most 64 players only play 64 and a few play some other smash games as a side thing sometimes. Hell, for most 64 players, it's the only video game they play at all.
Kero is new to the scene lmao!

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Since you obviously don't play 64, it is quite literally impossible for Falcon to approach Kirby safely on that part of the stage as long as M2K keeps utilting and bairing. There wasn't even a large amount of money on the line, M2k was just playing lame and very few people enjoy watching and playing campy *******s.
either way m2k was not breaking any rules. stranded just sucks

M2K has beaten good NA 64 players, but M2K would not make a top 100 list worldwide for 64.
Actually he might; safer to say he probably wouldn't make top 50.

Last edited:

Annex

Smash Ace
These blog posts about the "good ol' days" are getting really old. Times change, the game changes. Learn to love what you have and stop pining for the past.
I'm not sure you read it.
It's about how 64 doesn't care enough about competing as much as they do enjoying the game, which makes it have less hype and overall less popular of a game.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Like how the smash documentary got a lot of new players into melee for its popularity, hype and rivalries. Are those the people you want joining? More people to beat I guess...
In my experience documentary kids are pretty cool. Just not when theyre hating mindlessly on other games to fit in

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
I know nothing about 64. Never even played it. But if any of this post is true, it sounds like a community I would want to join.
Personally, I play 64 because I just love the game. I think most of the others feel the same way; as much as it disagrees with Cobrevolution's article, I would rather just play console smash with people who I consider friends than worry about rivalries. The tournaments are more of a reason for us to get together and play in person, in my opinion. Check out the Smash 64 discussion forum and join us on Kaillera to play with most of us online.

Edit: Despite the fact that we play 64 more because of our love for the game than the hype, we are still extremely competitive players in general.

either way m2k was not breaking any rules. stranded just sucks
Actually he might; safer to say he probably wouldn't make top 50.
I never said he was breaking rules, just stating that it wasn't enjoyable to watch in the least. Due to that abuse/exploit of the stage by m2k, Hyrule is now banned. Not the sole reason, but it was literally the turning point in the decision to ban Hyrule.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

I think you're wrong because most 64 players only play 64 and a few play some other smash games as a side thing sometimes. Hell, for most 64 players, it's the only video game they play at all.
I'm not sure how this makes me wrong. Smash 64 is a really old game now, with several newer generation iteration alternatives, fact. It has less hype these days, fact.

Do you truly believe these two things are not connected in any way?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Not to complain or anything, but these "Smash Tournament Complaints" are really lackluster. It's bad that people are being kind to each other? What?

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
From what I've seen, nobody in 64 seems to care much about tournaments, placing, hype, or rivalries. They all just love to play the game.

To me that's what a video game community should be all about... I mean I guess hype would make the community grow, but I think the people would be joining for the wrong reason.

This.

C.J.

Smash Master
Since you obviously don't play 64, it is quite literally impossible for Falcon to approach Kirby safely on that part of the stage as long as M2K keeps utilting and bairing. There wasn't even a large amount of money on the line, M2k was just playing lame and very few people enjoy watching and playing campy *******s.
So what you're saying is- like I initially said- you're expecting M2k to voluntarily give up his advantaged position?

Next time Isai is comboing somebody, just tell him to stop it since it is "quite literally impossible" for them to get out of the combo unless Isai messes up.

In both situations someone went through a process (m2k getting a lead, Isai landing the hit) which put them into an INCREDIBLY advantageous situation where the only way they lose that advantage is if they mess up.

It just happens that one is "more fun" to watch. If there's no reason to tell Isai to stop comboing, there's no reason to tell m2k to voluntarily give up his advantaged position.

Enrapture

Smash Rookie
I think it might be a little too soon to say that the hype is dying. Maybe some players have just dropped the 'childish' tendencies and wish to show a more mature side of themselves. We're still trying to turn Smash into a legit E-Sport, now I'm not saying that's a reason to cut off rivalries or hype, but it is a sign to show more professionalism.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
I feel as though each Smash community has succumb to this. Bring back the trash talk/rivalries/hate...

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Oh well, when the 64 community steps up and learns to play the game for combos again instead of streamlining their game for 1 stage and its quick kill options maybe it'll be more exciting to watch.

The way the community is pushing it, 64 is slowly becoming brawl with combos, and if it comes to that I'll just quit for good because I avoid that game for a reason, it sucks. It's completely antihype, the matchups are antihype, and spacing/poking/floating around for days waiting for a single hit to confirm off of is boring. It's slowly going to come to a point where it's going to be Brawl with touch of death.

TheQuasiZillionaire

Smash Cadet

You know, all those pro players have to die eventually... :demon::troll:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
I literally hate all the negative people here, they are just pissing me off and shouldn't even comment on this post. Like seriously if you dislike 64 so much, go back to your own damn game

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
i pretty much disagree with everything written in this article except for the isai combo which pretty much makes up for everything :troll: first off 64 top 8 was actually hype contrary to this article says. secondly the more relaxed nature of our community is part of what makes our community so awesome :love:

Last edited:

T-bone1

Smash Rookie
The grand finals at Apex were relatively dull because of the matchup, but overall the top 8 was incredible. Great to see two high-level yoshis competing, boom vs. moyashi was awesome, and mariguas had incredible games throughout the bracket.

Top Bottom