• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's YOUR religion?

What's your religion?

• Christian- Fundamentalist

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Christian- Catholic

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • Christian- Protestant

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • Christian- Liberal

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Christian- Orthodox

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Christian- Mormon

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Christian- Jehovah's Witness

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Taoism

• Judaism

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Hinduism

• Weak Atheism

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • Strong Atheism

Votes: 23 13.5%
  • Deism

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Sikhism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baha'i

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scientology

• Wicca

• Islam- Sunni

• Islam- Shi'a

• Total voters

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
Kirby, based on what you said I'd call you a Protestant.

As for the agnostic/atheist distinction, read my original post and subsequent follow-ups. Agnosticism and atheism are unrelated. The first deals with philosophical views toward knowledge, whereas the latter deals with a lack of belief. In common usage, agnostic is used to mean 'not sure, could go either way'. This is not the academic definition. By the common definition, though, agnostics are really just atheists with a more euphemistic name. If you are split between the two options, that means you don't believe God exists, which means you're an atheist ('weak' atheist, to be precise).

Personally, I think "agnostic" is a worthless term because I think it is entirely indefensible to consider oneself 'gnostic'. I really don't see how agnostic can be at all meaningful.

pikamon- I don't think any particular branch of Christianity is the only one that believes in Theistic Evolution. Most Christians believe in evolution. Christian Scientists (not Scientologists) are a sect of Christians. I don't know any of their beliefs except that they don't ever use medicine or doctors because they believe God had a purpose in giving them the disease and only God should be allowed to heal things. When they get sick, they just pray. I think I can assume from this viewpoint that the rest of their beliefs fit "Christian- Fundamentalist" pretty well.

If they truly are very different from other Christians on major doctrinal issues (like, say, Mormons, and maybe Jehovah's Witnesses) I would be happy to add them on to the poll.

-B

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
Bee is my saviour.

Strong aethist. I know I used to be one of those super christians, but yeah, I've reformed. I don't hold it against anyone if they're a regular Christian, but personally, I can't stand the ignorant christians, who can't put up with their precious bible being proved wrong...*cougjetcough*

Anyways, I think I owe it to Bee for my enlightment, for if I hadn't listened to his logic, I'd still be living a lie.

Edit: Thanks, Bee. :D

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
Sweet! Dude, you just made my ****ing day.
Always love opening someone's eyes to reason...But I won't take credit, either- I'm sure the other atheists around here helped me out.
Congrats, Shy Guy, on leaving the fold.

-B

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
But you never knew him.

I knew him. He banned me.

Thrice.

sheepyman

BRoomer
BRoomer
Look at the date that the thread was started in. That's right, over three years ago.

So yeah, this guy hasn't been seen for a while so people thought "Oh he's back"

Also, where is "Rainy Day Toast"?

****TTTT

I ****ING WASTED MY ONE AND ONLY DIABLO!!!!!!!!!

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
You bumped a thread that is two years old.
I thought the author of this thread,
who is retired from SWF,
returned and made this topic.
I was wrong.

EDIT: Sheepy man dares beat me with his 666th post.

chilly billy

Smash Rookie
i picked weak atheist because it seemed like too much trouble to pick anything else since it's like taking a side if you're a theist of some kind but weak atheist and deist are all like neutral so that's what i picked

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I am what you'd call a "Strong Atheist".

Though three years ago, when I registered, if I had answered this question I would have said "Christian: Protestant" probably.

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
wow, my religion isn't even on there, neither is my old religion.
There isn't anglican (which I am now) or Unitarian (which I used to be)
same here, but i used to be protestant so i voted for that

totaKK

Smash Apprentice
i am deist(agnostic)/somewhat atheist

anyone choosing to take this path should learn what you are critisizing about, once you do, the choice is very obvious, what pisses me off is when i know more about someone else's religion then they do, i can ask so many questions to make them contridict themselves, so please dont be that kind of follower,

i know faith is blind, but not "that" blind as you would abandon logic

logic=ultimate religion

dreams/creativity/arts/VG=escape from reality not religion

jaej

Smash Journeyman
i marked christian liberal just because i have some views that arent usually accepted in conservative circles

flaco

The Terminator
Well I am Jehovah witness born and raised and I like these religion I know is a bit strict but is good.

Emersai_the_Prophet

Smash Apprentice
no real religion just beliefs in goodness and truth in all people, karma, there are many a$$holes in the world but if you can be that one person that somebody meets in there day that is sincerley nice and happy and they see that and it makes them feel better then i think you are doing ok in life regardless of how many times you go to church or pray or whatever not that thoes are not good things too .

cF=)

Smash Lord
I knew one GOD**** sexy Jehovah's witness girl who had not the right to go out with boys and, neither, to have sex until she was 18... [/life story]

On my part, I'm a born catholic but raised weak atheist... basically, my parents decided to baptize me so I don't have any problem in the future if I wanted to get religiously married with someone (because here in Quebec, it's a strong majority of catholics).

Dogosse Gier

Smash Journeyman
I am a member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

But for serious, strong atheist. I used to be a Protestant, just recently figured out the truth... My parents almost kicked me out of the house when I told them that God is just a fairy-tale.

Edit: We have a Scientologist?? How funny! I respect L. Ron Hubbard because he figured out an extremely efficient, tax-free way to separate dumb rich people from their moneys.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
INTERNET. SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Now, that being said, I did vote. And I did vote Weak Atheist. I'm not going to flat out deny there is a god/creator/whathaveyou, but... come on. If it weren't for the millions of believers they already have, how much merit would any religion have? The thing is, a made-up religion like that of the Flying Spagetti Monster is just as believable, from the perspective of someone who doesn't know any better (i.e.; people of the past that embraced relgion and made it popular). That's exactly what the Flying Spagetti Monster is trying to satire.
I'm not saying religions are nessicarily a bad things, as they often instill good values in their followers (though shall not kill, anyone?) and they bring people together. Those parts based on morals and ideals are good things. But most of the aspects of religion,, like the "lets all guess what the 'higher power' is like based on absolutely nothing!"... it's rediculous. It's not even funny.
People want to believe in something.
Well, I've choosen to believe in everything, until each possiblity is confidently proven to be untrue. Innocent until proven guilty, if you will. That way, I can't be wrong.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I won't start a debate but I will say this. To say that people who believe in God is like believing in a "flying spaghetti monster" is the equivalent to a religious person saying an aethiest believes in "stupid frogs having sex with monkeys." People blow things out of proportion and try to use them as facts and that is just plain stupidity.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
I won't start a debate but I will say this. To say that people who believe in God is like believing in a "flying spaghetti monster" is the equivalent to a religious person saying an aethiest believes in "stupid frogs having sex with monkeys." People blow things out of proportion and try to use them as facts and that is just plain stupidity.
I don't think you quite understand the Flying Spaggetti Monster. The web site (very convincingly) puts him in the place of god, as if god were a Flying Spagetti Monster. And, since no one has ever seen god, how do you know what a god may or may not be like? Anything said about god is simply heresay, without evidence.
Believe whatever you want. Like I said, I believe in everything, and I believe in nothing. Every theory, every bible, every god, & ect. has the same amount of merit, and should all be taken equally. When I die, if there's a heaven, if there's an after life, if there's reincarnation, if there's nothing, whatever - why can't I just wait until then and find out? There's no point in speculating, there are infinite possibilities, and therefore infinite incorrect assumptions. Probably, if there is, in fact, a god, it's completely different from anything we could possibly imagine. Maybe even a Flying Spagetti Monster.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
What I was saying was that I don't like how people blow things out of proportion in debates. Saying that God is a flying spaghetti monster IS heresy because in the Bible it says that we are in his image. Now I am not saying he exists but I am not insulting anyone's beliefs here and I expect others to do the same. I don't care what you say but others hold their beliefs close to their hearts and I am just saying that watch out that you don't insult anyone here.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
That wasn't about the diety of the Bible. It was a stab at all dieties.

I agree with Venom Dream. I say I'm a Christian and there may be a few raised eyebrows at most. (usually) If, however, I said I worshiped Scooby Doo, I'd be mocked and severely ridiculed. To an unbeliever, Christianity has just as much hold as a Scooby Doo diety, but it has at least a little bit of respect because of it's millions of believers.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Just as a side note, Jehovah's Witnesses are not technically a Christian religion, because they do not believe in the saving power of Jesus, the Christ, which is what links all Christian religions together.

I always find it interesting to look at these types of polls.

Also Scientology has nothing to do with Christianity. Perhaps Christian Science, but I know little-to-nothing about that.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Just as a side note, Jehovah's Witnesses are not technically a Christian religion, because they do not believe in the saving power of Jesus, the Christ, which is what links all Christian religions together.
No, actually we do believe in Jesus as savior, and we are Christian. But we don't believe in the Trinity, which means we don't believe that Jesus is God. So those religions who do believe Jesus is God sometimes put off the idea that we don't believe in Christ because we don't put as much emphasis on him as they do.

Peeze

Smash Master
^I was just about to say that.
Edit:
also on a side note the word Christian means "Christ-like". Jesus Christ traveled around teaching people and commanded(in Matthew 28:19,20) his disciples to do the same. If thats not "Christ-Like" i have no idea what that is.

Top Bottom