• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's YOUR religion?

What's your religion?

• Christian- Fundamentalist

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Christian- Catholic

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • Christian- Protestant

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • Christian- Liberal

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Christian- Orthodox

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Christian- Mormon

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Christian- Jehovah's Witness

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Taoism

• Judaism

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Hinduism

• Weak Atheism

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • Strong Atheism

Votes: 23 13.5%
  • Deism

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Sikhism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baha'i

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scientology

• Wicca

• Islam- Sunni

• Islam- Shi'a

• Total voters

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
Well, I posted this topic during the crash but now it's gone so it's time for me to do it again.

What's your religion?

In this poll, I have divided the two major categories into numerous choices:

Christianity:

Fundamentalist: You believe that the Bible is inerrant.
Catholic: er...you go to a Catholic church.
Protestant: Your church is neither Catholic nor Orthodox, but you're not a fundamentalist.
Liberal: Your beliefs are considered atheistic by fundamentalists. I.e., maybe you believe that **** doesn't exist. Maybe you believe everyone can go to Heaven, just by being good people. Maybe you believe that homosexual marriage is ok by God. In general, your ideas are very unbiblical, from a literalist/inerrant perspective, but you still believe in Jesus as God.
Orthodox: You belong to the Orthodox Church.
Mormon: You belong to the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints. This is a separate category because Mormonism is very different from other forms of Christianity.
Jehovah's Witness: As far as I can tell, Jehovah's Witnesses are different enough from other Christians to merit another category.

Atheism/Freethought/Secular:

Weak atheist: You do not believe in god(s).
Strong atheist: You believe all defined gods do not exist. (i say defined because strong atheism is really indefensible with regards to undefined gods and I want it to be a viable choice. Remember, believing gods don't exist is different from not believing they do exist.)
Deist: You believe in a god of sorts, but it's not the god set forth by any organized religion. Really you just believe in some "higher consciousness", or "first cause for the universe". You do not believe in a personal god who intervenes in the world.

I left out agnostic because agnostics are still atheists, in general. Agnosticism vs. Gnosticism is more philosophy than religion.

If I left anyone's religion out, post it in this topic and I will edit the poll accordingly.

-B

Bowser87

Smash Lord
I'm atheist as well, which is not really surprising, since I live in Quebec, one of the, if not the, less religious places in the world.

I'm Catholic, but just so you all understand a few things about us...
The Pope is not our master, king or whatever. I don't hear about him all that often. We don't take his every command.
The vast majority of this scandal has been angry parishoners trying to get payback on the priests they dislike, and the number of real sexual predator priests is significantly lower by percentage than the total population.
Other than that, I think some people view Catholics as old fashioned, with strict rules for many things. I would say that these are more of a suggestion (again, the Pope doesn't speak for all Catholics) and are much less harsh than other branches of Christianity (Mormons for example).

Corin

Smash Lord
wow, my religion isn't even on there, neither is my old religion.
There isn't anglican (which I am now) or Unitarian (which I used to be)

Joshu

BRoomer
BRoomer
Born and raised catholic, though I'm a pretty bad one....I never go to church or confession or any of that, I'm pretty much only Catholic in name.

Shoryuken

Smash Cadet
I'm Catholic. I'm not quite as strongly religious as I used to be, although I definatley believe in God and the power of prayer. I disagree with certain things about my religion, such as abortion, which I think is neccesary in certain cases. Yep. :beezo:

Game & Watch

Smash Lord
I am a weak atheist. I dont belive there is a god, but I kinda belive in mythological gods that existed. At times I question if god exists, but I can't belive that there is someone who can control everything around him/her so I don't belive in fate either.

Crono

BRoomer
BRoomer
Strong atheist, of course. I used to be Catholic.

One thing I want to mention: let's say, for example, you're Catholic, but you don't agree with all of the teachings and rules of the Catholic Church. So why are you still Catholic? Convenience? Why not find a sect of Christianity that better suits your beliefs? (I'm referring to Shoryuken's post mainly)

To Crono- yeah its part convenience. But think about how much doctrine each faith has. For someone to match up perfectly would be hard. I don't believe in all Catholic teachings, but in the vast majority. So, maybe the Catholic faith is closest to what he believes. (Im not speaking for the person here, just kinda explaining how it is for me).

Duck

Smash Apprentice
I selected Catholic, but I think im more of a Christian- Liberal now that I think about it.

I do disagree with a lot of religious stuff, but overall I believe it.

Yavarice

Dreadnought
BRoomer
Went to a Catholic school from kindegarten for 9 long years. Was quite the good little boy, knowing Jesus loves us all and the other stuff. Then, it somehow fell apart when we were forced to attend confirmation classes and take attendance at church ever week. I distinctly remember being very pissed off during the whole ceremony but not for what reason.

Anyway I'm pretty much just a selective follower. I like some of the teachings, but not the deistic stuff.

Silver7

Smash Cadet
I'm catholic but I only go to church on Christmas, Easter, and when my grandma comes over.

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
Weak atheist. But I haven't told my family yet, due to the fact that I'm still a teenager, taking chatechism, in a strong catholic family, and have very religious friends in very religious families. I'm not closed-minded, but have set atheism as my default until something I can believe ever arises.

CerbKirby

Smash Lord
I am a Jewish, that's pretty much it. I used to not like all the stuff that we believed in when I was a small child, but now that I have learned a lot about Judaism from books and my ancestral relatives, I have started becoming more serious about my religion a lot more. So I don't eat pork, and I try to stay away from the meat+dairy combo. Yeah, it's pretty different to be a Jew around many Christians, but it's all good.

__/\__
\ / \ /
/_\_/_\
__\/__

Yeah, see that? Well, hope you know what that is.. ;)

silverpup

Smash Journeyman
I'm neither of the Muslim types you listed...I'm just a plain Muslim. No group. Just a Muslim...yeah, I think you get the point. So I'm not going to vote in the poll.

Magus

Lone Wolf
BRoomer
Strong atheism. *shrug* You all know that.

On a side not, why is it that Jews can't eat pork, or have meat and dairy together, Cerby?

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
Originally posted by Corin
wow, my religion isn't even on there, neither is my old religion.
There isn't anglican (which I am now) or Unitarian (which I used to be)
Unfortunately I can't put all 2000 Christian churches on the poll. I put it into categories. I'll bet Anglican and Unitarian fall into "Christian- Liberal".

I'm neither of the Muslim types you listed...I'm just a plain Muslim. No group. Just a Muslim...yeah, I think you get the point. So I'm not going to vote in the poll.
silverpup- I'll bet you're a Sunni. You are a muslim. Do you believe in the historical Imams (5th, 7th, 12th, etc) as being special "greater-than-human" people? If so, you're a Shi'a Muslim. If not, you're a Sunni Muslim. And I just realized I left out Sufi Muslims, though I believe they still fall into either Shi'a or Sunni.
I mean, there's no "Mosque of Sunni" and "Mosque of Shi'a". They aren't separate religions, per se. They are just ways to categorize Muslims-

Sunni- muslims who do not believe the Imams were special
Shi'a- muslims who do.

I don't want to presume I know more than you do about your own faith. But in my religious studies I was told that Sunni/Shi'a was really a true dichotomy and if you are a Muslim, you're one or the other. The labels really don't make much of a difference except for that Imam bit.

As for me, I'm a strong atheist, as anyone who knows me here already has figured out. Strong atheism rocks.

Magus- because keeping Kosher is one of the 613 mitzvot that Jews are commanded to follow by YHWH. Christians have decided to believe the verses of the NT that can be interpretted to mean that the old mitzvot can be ignored, while ignoring the verses where Jesus warns them that the laws are still in effect. Thus, Christians don't do that stuff.
For the technical reasons, BTW, the Pig's style of foot makes God consider the pig an "unclean" animal that is unsuitable for eating. And cooking an animal in its own mother's milk is considered to be immensely disrespectful, thus the rules against meat+dairy combos.

-B

deltaorange_samus

Naranja Nirvana
BRoomer
Well I use to think I was atheist, but after a lengthy chat with Amorasaki, he seemed to think I had some strong Diest views. So that is what I voted for this time.

Heh two years ago I still would have said I am Catholic...*sigh*

I still wear my gold cross necklace because bling bling 'yall.

Risko Sucks

Smash Cadet
here are a couple views, don't kill me if you disagree, just hink about 'em

1. to truly belong to a religion, you must first remove yourself from all beliefs (which is certainly tough). Next you must learn at least a little about a great number of religions. You would be suprised to learn how religions you never before consitered may share many of your views. finally, chose one that you truly believe in, not one that your parents forced you into beccause their parents forced them into it.

2. No religion is "right". The whole idea of religion is that its a metaphysical thing and can never be proven right or wrong.

3. The most important part of a religion isn't the spiritual part of it, but rather the philosophical part. I think Christianity is one of the most rediculous religions out there, but I can still respect it for it preaches good moral philosophies.

And for the record, while not in active practice, I am of Taoist faith.

usea

Smash Ace
honestly, polls need to have "other" and "none" responses. I really dislike religion, it's not a part of my life at all, just not a topic I think about or even care about. I would like to answer "none" though, oh well :)

and unitarian definitely doesn't count as christian. I used to go to a unitarian church. but I understand it would be futile to try to have a very exhaustive list of religions for the poll.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Apathiesm...

You forgot apatheism. The belief of not giving a ****.

And, Bee Agnostics are qutie diferent from Atheists. You should add it to the poll.

CerbKirby

Smash Lord
Originally posted by Bumble Bee Tuna

Magus- because keeping Kosher is one of the 613 mitzvot that Jews are commanded to follow by YHWH. Christians have decided to believe the verses of the NT that can be interpretted to mean that the old mitzvot can be ignored, while ignoring the verses where Jesus warns them that the laws are still in effect. Thus, Christians don't do that stuff.
For the technical reasons, BTW, the Pig's style of foot makes God consider the pig an "unclean" animal that is unsuitable for eating. And cooking an animal in its own mother's milk is considered to be immensely disrespectful, thus the rules against meat+dairy combos.

-B
Also, Bee back in the ancient times with the pig as being "unclean", I think it carried some sort of bacteria on it's hair that was fatal to humans. Now they clean pigs effeciently, but I guess Jewish people are just supposed to follow everything that we used to believe in.

I think that every three hours you can have the meat/dairy depending on what you had three hours ago. I have also grown accustomed to not eating bacon or ham :p.

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
Originally posted by usea
honestly, polls need to have "other" and "none" responses. I really dislike religion, it's not a part of my life at all, just not a topic I think about or even care about. I would like to answer "none" though, oh well :)

and unitarian definitely doesn't count as christian. I used to go to a unitarian church. but I understand it would be futile to try to have a very exhaustive list of religions for the poll.
If you were an "other", I asked for you to say what it was in the post so I could add you to the poll.
If you were a "none", that's impossible. If you have no religion, you're an atheist or maybe a deist. Both choices are on the poll.

You forgot apatheism. The belief of not giving a ****.

And, Bee Agnostics are qutie diferent from Atheists. You should add it to the poll.
No. Apatheism is a form of atheism. If you don't give a **** about theism, I think it's safe to say you also don't believe in god(s), which is the definition of (weak) atheism. So while apatheism is a valid way to describe yourself, you still count as an atheist so you're included.It's just like I couldn't put the 2000 different churchs of Christianity. I can't put the 50 different branches of atheism, either.

Agnostics can be theists or atheists. You can be:

agnostic theist
gnostic theist
agnostic atheist
gnostic atheist

That covers all people, as both words involved are truly dichotomous. Agnostic is not a religious belief- all agnostics are either atheists, deists, or members of some religious group. Agnosticism does not deserve to be a separate category, though I mistakenly put it in the last poll.

Those of you who want to vote "agnostic":

Do you believe that god(s) exist?
If not, you're an atheist.
If yes, what god(s) do you believe in?
If you believe in a specific god from a specific religion, then you are a member of that religion.
If you believe in a different god, then you're a deist.

Hope that settles that.

Cerb- I think the attempts to justify Jewish mitzvot are somewhat silly when you consider that other cultures ate pork and didn't die form these fatal bacteria. But, this isn't a debate topic, so I don't intend to discuss that further.

-B

G

GreatSaiyaKirby

Christian

Me? I'm Christian, but I'm not sure which (I think I'm Protestant, but I'm not certain). I'm not a devout Christian, but I certainly don't take my religion lightly (if someone I know and care about says/does something that goes against the 10 commandments, or does something else that is blasphemous, I remind them that they did something wrong, hoping they will take it back).

I don't really believe the most far-fetched parts of the Bible, but I feel they must have some element of truth to them. I also feel that Jesus probably existed in some form (as the son of god or simply as a prophet I'm not sure). I'd like to believe that Jesus was the son of God, but I'll probably will never know for sure.

I saw at least one person here said they were agnostic, and as far as I know, that is the same as being Athiest (sorry but I didn't check the topic in case someone already made that distinction).

pikamon

Smash Ace
You forgot Christian Scientiology (I think that's it), they believe that God used evolution to create the universe. I'm Protestant, but I know some people who are Christian Scientists or whatever, just thought I'd bring that up ;)

Top Bottom