• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your favorite Gen to play?

Gen?

• Total voters

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
General question, general answer. Competitively is implied, but if you don't play competitively or whatever your reasoning, choose the Gen you like to play through the most.

Totally innocent thread because surprisingly we don't actually have a poll like this

ss118

Smash Master
I really liked fourth gen. It just feels like it has this nice balance to it, and such depth without the "power creep" I feel that was instilled into fifth gen.

Of course, over time my opinion may change but that is what I feel at the moment.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I voted Gen IV simply because of Dory and Shandy.

Every team I make has to revolve around taking care of the above 2, which is extremely annoying.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Technically you could go Wifi and only have to deal with Dory, but unfortunately you're getting rid of only the less annoying of the two.

Oh well :p

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Generation PR seems like the legit option simply because I can't select mulitple generations. Otherwise Generations IV and V would have been my option.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Only one choice because favorites and there shouldn't be more than one :V

Gates

Banned via Warnings
In terms of actually playing the game, Gen I.

In terms of playing against other human beings, Gen IV.

Gen V Ubers is really fun though, proly more fun than Gen IV.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
gen IV was when i started competitively, and towards the end, it was pretty balanced compared to what i see in gen V so far

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I voted Gen II. The reason being is that it introduced several aspects that would remain staples to the generations that followed, including Pokemon genders, breeding, equippable items, happiness, day/night, the Battle Tower, Dark and Steel-types, roaming Pokemon, shiny Pokemon, different formes (Unown being the first real case), and so on.

Gen III, though controversial, was also important due to the things it introduced on a competitive standpoint. Still, Generation II gave me the biggest initial "wow" factor that no Gen has given me thus far.

Gen IV was also a great generation, but it merely added a little to the competitive aspect in terms of mechanics, most notably the Physical/Special split. Other than that, its mechanics were merely a Gen 3.5. There was also HeartGold and SoulSilver, which made us relive the glory days of the metal generation, but that's all it did. It wasn't like we haven't seen it before.

I've yet to touch Gen V, but from what I hear from reviews, it may just make me like Gen V over Gen II. Until the games are actually released, however, I will say that Generation II has to be my favorite of the first four that I have played because of the impact it had in terms of innovation to the games.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Gen IV competitively, but DEFINITELY Gen II in-game.

Although I'm also a huge fan of Yellow for some unknown reason.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i hated everything about gen 3, except the pokes themselves

i just didn't like the games nor did i really know much about the competitive stuff

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
Competitively, a tie between Gen II and Gen III, but I'd probably vote Gen II cause it was more fun to actually play. Playing the games themselves, Gen IV was the one I enjoyed the most.

Moozle

Smash Champion
Gen III is definitely my favorite to play through, but Gen IV is my favorite for competitive battling (followed by Gen II). Voted for III because it's my favorite Gen and it introduced all of my favorite pokemon (that I use in competitive battling).

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Am I the only noob who voted for Gen I?

Better way to ask it, who was the other person who voted for gen I like me? =D

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Something tells me if I had ever played Gen I competitively, I'd have enjoyed it quite a lot.

But I never did, so I couldn't choose it. :\ I almost did anyway though!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
How do people enjoy competitive gen 2? Is stall vs stall really that fun?
It's not that they (myself included) enjoy the competitive portion of Gen II more than they enjoyed the initial fun, "wow" factor, and innovation that was introduced. Also, exploring two regions (Johto and Kanto) were a big deal back then. To this day, no other Gen has had such a feature, trading multi-region exploration with exploration of a single large region (larger and more detailed than either Kanto or Johto). Of course, HeartGold and SoulSilver do not count, as they're remakes of their Gen II counterparts.

The competitive battling aspect - as far as I'm concerned - didn't really pick up until Gen III, while Gen IV took Gen III's system and d*mn well nearly perfected it to the science we have now. Honestly, though the mechanics for battling in Gen V remains unchanged from Gen IV (save for Triple Battles), we can expect a wild new competitive metagame thanks to the Dream World. :awesome:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I didnt read any of your post Sol but im just going to say my post was a direct response to Moozles so more likely than not everything you said was moot.
I figured you wouldn't. Whether or not you actually do makes no real difference to me. I figured only half the people on the Pokéboards read my posts anyway. :p

Patinator

Smash Champion
I will always love Gen III. ^w^ It's when I started Pokemon, and... even today, I find it more fun than any Gen IV game. I dunno, it just has more of a Pokemon feel to it. Which, I admit, is weird for me to say since I started with Gen III. But... yeah.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Just judging from the results so far it's easy to assume that most people are voting from an in-game standpoint and not a competitive one.

There's no way Gen 3's metagame was better than Gen 4's.

But I guess best doesn't always mean favorite, so whatever.

D

Deleted member

How do people enjoy competitive gen 2? Is stall vs stall really that fun?
actually, yes it is. every battle is like 200+ turns and if you **** up once you lose. since offense is dumbed down, the game doesn't focus on hardcore counters and teams aren't always slamming the most broken **** available together and calling it a team. you also can't be stupid in your team build or focus on stalling too much because pretty much anything can use either curse or substitute and make your life hell. the sheer "tightness" of it per se adds a competitive edge that the other gens don't really have.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Im not going to vote because i've only competitively played gen 4.

But i've played gens 1-3 in game.

GCS was my favorite in-game. So much new stuff.

mizujin

Smash Cadet
In my opinion,
Gen II > Gen I > Gen IV > Gen III

I must have played through my old Gold version at least 50 times, it just doesn't get old for me. Gen I and IV are great too, with Gen I just slightly besting Gen IV. Gen III was... definitely not bad, but not as good as it could have been. Perhaps it was just that I was expecting more after all the new things Gen II brought.

Or maybe I'm too young and don't know what I'm talking about.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Hard choice, competitively I like 5th gen the best because most of the new pokemon that may be OU I like. And in 4th gen I didn't like most of the top used OU pokes.

But gen 2 will always be best in my heart for gameplay, mostly because it was my first pokemon game and I poured hours into it.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
I only got into competitve pokemon in Gen 4 and never tried my hand at any of the past games competitive side, but between Gen 4 and 5 I've got to say Gen 5 by far. It may just be the fact that I've been able to play it since the very beginning and the metagame is fresh with new things popping up all the time but it's been much more enjoyable for me. The sheer number of viable pokemon being increased so much also makes it great, feels good to have all this variety.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
The number of viable Pokemon has been increasing for 10 years.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
actually, yes it is. every battle is like 200+ turns and if you **** up once you lose. since offense is dumbed down, the game doesn't focus on hardcore counters and teams aren't always slamming the most broken **** available together and calling it a team. you also can't be stupid in your team build or focus on stalling too much because pretty much anything can use either curse or substitute and make your life hell. the sheer "tightness" of it per se adds a competitive edge that the other gens don't really have.
That sounds really, really boring to me, and I'm sure that most people would agree with me.

Top Bottom