• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your controller setup for Ness?

ChozoAce

Smash Cadet
Z: jump (for pk jumps)
Y: Jump
X: Grab
C: special
Tap jump off

i pretty much have my setup like EB360 excpet i didnt change R to attack

Uffe

Smash Hero
Tap jump is only good for certain characters. Some do better without it. Pit is an example if you want to Arrow Loop.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
i pretty much have my setup like EB360 excpet i didnt change R to attack
I'm glad I'm not the only one who did that. :laugh: Admittedly, I only did it for Doop Walking, which quickly receded into obscurity.

Do the Doop.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
I only changed R to attack, Y to specials and tap jump off.
R to attack was for that pivot walking thing, but I don't think it's worth it.
Now I only use it for the lulz.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Keep your controllers Default, that is what I always say / do, ESPECIALLY KEEP TAP JUMP ON.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Tap jump off
Y = special (for PK jump)

Yeah... that's it. I had the Cstick at specials, but I set it back, because I use the backwards PKFire not much anyway (and it isn't that useful >_>), and I also wanted to be able Smash DI better. Smashes are now easier to do too (though I tend to smash too often now >.<).

Urfbownd64

Smash Cadet
Default but B-sticking and you need to be pro to B-stick I don't think so. I have tap jump on so it is easier to recovery.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
tap jump off
x is jump
y is special so that i can easily do jumped pk fires and cancel the lag with an airdodge
R button is attack to help with double aerial shuffling as well as spin walking (for fun and taunts, not for awesome technical action).

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Tap jump off so people can use the underrated utilt more. It beats like everything in the air. Even Link and MK.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
You can do a running PKT without tap jump on.

In fact, anything you need to tap jump with you can do with the normal jump. For example, most people usmash out of shield by pressing UpA out of shield. Without tap jump, you can still do it by pressing Up+A+X at the same time.

Just my opinion tho. I love Ness' utilt.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
Yes, what EB360 said is true. Some people might claim it's harder to OoS since you have to hold the jump button, but I say crap. Learn to use L instead of R to shield, and you'll have an extra free finger.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Maybe to get this convo back on topic ;)

A: Attack
B: Special
C-Stick: Smash
R: Shield
L: Jump
Z: Attack
X: Jump
Y: Grab
Tap Jump: Off

J/W, I've heard from a couple of people about this, do you think it's worth B-Sticking Ness?

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Maybe to get this convo back on topic ;)

A: Attack
B: Special
C-Stick: Smash
R: Shield
L: Jump
Z: Attack
X: Jump
Y: Grab
Tap Jump: Off

J/W, I've heard from a couple of people about this, do you think it's worth B-Sticking Ness?
If you find it worthwhile. Some people prefer the spacing of aerials with the C-Stick, while others like PK Fire B-Sticking techs. Your choice.

EDIT: If you want to use the C-Stick for aerials, I would recommend you change it to tilts. You can perfom non-fastfalled dairs, if that's your liking.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Setting C-stick to attack (for tilts) is weird... sometimes if you're doing an aerial with it, it makes you double jump :confused:... Anyway, I like to charge my yo-yo with C-stick up + Z :lick:

Gaussis

Smash Ace
It's because you do a C-Stick action before the attack is over. You have to be precise with it, which is one of it's disadvantages.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
You guys have to keep that tap jump on... Seriously... It's not going to be fun when you get spiked.....

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Setting C-stick to attack (for tilts) is weird... sometimes if you're doing an aerial with it, it makes you double jump :confused:... Anyway, I like to charge my yo-yo with C-stick up + Z :lick:
Yeah, I was testing out Tilt Sticking with my Snake and I kept jumping at random moments lol.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Actually, for most C-stick reconfigurations, rapidly tapping the C-stick around can result in random jumps. Especially if you do it really really fast (try putting training mode in 1/4 speed).

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Actually, for most C-stick reconfigurations, rapidly tapping the C-stick around can result in random jumps. Especially if you do it really really fast (try putting training mode in 1/4 speed).
I also noticed and it may been what you said, but if I would hit it in between up and left I would jump, but I may have just done what you said.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
You guys have to keep that tap jump on... Seriously... It's not going to be fun when you get spiked.....
I'll only do it for the Falco matchup. Other than that, it's disturbing for me to use tap jump on. Besides, I think I have the timing for meteor canceling.

Bobbery

Smash Apprentice
I use default for everything. Tap jump, no b-sticking. Although I've been thinking that I should change X to do something else like grab or special. Yes, I use Y to jump which is weird because it seems that everyone uses X. What should I change X to?

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Change X to grab like me lol. Or shield, it's a lot faster to react to. I didn't like it being shield so I used it to grab.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Wii-mote nunchuck user here.

Tap jump is on. Although I underestimated Ness utilt to the point where I may turn it off.

C button: Grab
Directional pad: Smashes. I also use this for aerials.

Everything else is default. I can still wavebounce easily, but firebounding was hard as hell to finally get down. I've long been used to shorthopping with the control stick.

I don't have a GC controller, but I don't feel all that handicapped. There's not much that a GC can do that a nunchuck can't.

Edit: lol paper we need to brawl.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
Wii/Chuck

A: attack
B: specials
C: grab
D-Pad: < and > specials, ^ up taunt, down : jump
Z: shield
1&2: Taunts

Tap jump and shake smash OFF

Top Bottom