• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your biggest road-block to getting better?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
PikaPika! is arguably a top 3/4 pikachu and he relies very little on techskill. In fact he couldn't buffer cg until recently. I find that this lack of actual player skill is why pikas aren't doing as well. Pikapika reads players like open books and punishes with simple yet effective offense. Not having the shenanigans at his disposal has forced him to rely more on those aspects of play and as a result he outplaces most pikas.
I get what you're saying, but it's flawed logic to imply that his not using shenanigans is part of why he's so good. Having player-to-player skill is totally separate from having tech skill..... and if he had both (read: ESAM), he'd be even better.

Roller

Smash Legend
He uses tech skill as well. He just is not overly dependent on it. It's not flawed logic at all that if a pika can get good at tech skill and they are not as good at the reading/pvp aspect of the game, they will use the former as a crutch to compensate for the lack of the latter skill which takes longer to develop imo.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
But you can have both. PP isn't good because he doesn't have shenanigans; he's good because he has player skill. The way you phrased your argument implied that his overall skill is a product of the former, which I disagree with.

That's all. =X

Life

Smash Hero
So the tl;dr is not to sacrifice learning Brawl to learn Pikachu?

I have some time over Easter break, maybe I'll work on my Pika some.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Basically.

But people almost never do it the smart way. :c It's always "how do I CG and QAC and do [insert fancy ****]?!"

Scatz

Smash Champion
Lmao, people should've listened to me when I said core gameplay > ATs. You have to start somewhere before jumping into techniques that can potentially ruin your style (hence the ****ty pika players that just go for the grabs).

Captain L

Smash Champion
I think one of my biggest problems is forgetting that grabbing still exists even when your opponent is at high percents...

And once my opponent has momentum I often find approaching impossible.

Asa

Smash Hero
my biggest road block is that i auto-lose to wolves, despite their skill level

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Hmm... just found this thread, and since it was bumped yesterday, I have no qualms about posting in it.

My biggest problem is getting grabs on smart Sheik and Falco players. Both of them just have incredible jabs and projectiles to keep me at bay. It's not that I'm trying to force a grab, but not getting one while they get their ****ed cg or ftilt lock can put you seriously behind.

Personally, I usually hate playing against characters I can CG to death because it forces my opponents to play really campy.

PZ

Smash Lord
Techskill in this game basically consists of buffering...but hell I cant b reverse or wavebounce but I can BDACUS n buffer uairs easily sometimes consistantly in wifi.(some dash uairs workin on that pika dthrow thing when I get captain falcon's dthrow thing)

Hael Phael

Smash Ace
I wish i had focused on core gameplay before i learned ATs, I have learned this game completely backwards but as my core gets better my ATs become more clear and useful rather than getting me killed

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
My biggest problems are the lack of certain characters in my area and that there's no tournies locally. I'm so isolated for now, but that will all change when Apex 2012 comes up
;.

Gotta get Otori, Earth, and Kakera to help me with my Mk, Zelda/ Snake, and IC Mus

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
VOLT! YOU ARE STILL ALIVE.

I was worried. T_T

Oh yeah. Problems and stuff.
I'm still relying too much on grabs, but I did well, especially vs MK, recently, when I didn't force grabs.
Still need to work on killing...never can seem to get it right.

Roller

Smash Legend
Volt coming back from the longest afk ever.

My biggest problem right now is buffering 3 ****ing inputs when you can't even know for sure if you entered the first one properly, and if you didn't, you are probably ****ed because you did something stupid. **** this technicalass character.

iSALTY.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Just get used to buffering one thing at a time. Learn the Dash buffer. Then learn the dash jump buffer. Then learn the dash jump nair buffer. Then turn that nair into a uair (since you can't use the C-stick).

Roller

Smash Legend
I've been doing it the other way with the reverse uair, since that's how I normally footstool people. But, would you recommend learning the other way?

I appreciate the advice btw, makes it seem much easier when split into smaller pieces like that.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Either way it doesn't matter.

Try to transfer the timing of your buffer D-throw to the back and down. It is honestly harder (4 inputs...back down return stick to neutral jump uair) it is pretty difficult.

Roller

Smash Legend
So your advice was actually unbelievably helpful. I have the buffer inputs pretty much down pat now. And I've been able to get the following footstool off a number of times; however I often wind up rising too far above mk out of the uair to get the footstool. Any idea what I should be doing differently?

EDIT: nvm, I figured it out. I was double jumping from uair input. Need some ingame practice with it, but should be implementing it decently in tourney by next month.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
That makes me feel like I should really practice it more @_@

But yeah, if you are doing it on anybody, remember to turn the counter meter on.

Roller

Smash Legend
haha, well I mean. I know from playing ICs that doing something at home with nothing on the line is significantly easier than doing it in a high pressure tourney situation. So it will probably take a few tourneys for me to get used to it. I'll try to get some in-game vids of me with it over the course of the summer. If I can get this stuff down pat though I may switch back to maining pika/secondary ICs. n_n

smash brother

Smash Cadet
my biggest problem is the spammers that come when i train i used to beat my brother but now he spams
:lucas:

PikaForLife

Smash Apprentice
i need to go to more tourneys,brawl more high level player and...i just cant get used to the pressure at tourneys :( i almost didnt make it outta pools last tourney because of that (choking,not calm,thinking 2 much about proving myself to others) if i could deal with it, and just play how i always play i think i can actually place good. since most ppl actually said that i would get top 20 without a problem. oh well 27th of May there will be a big tourney (120 attendees!) in germany and i will be there :D so i will see how it goes :)

Roller

Smash Legend
my biggest problem is the spammers that come when i train i used to beat my brother but now he spams
:lucas:
...If he spams, then you know what he's going to do every time. If you can't beat someone when you can predict their next action a majority of the time, then you are not good at all. Especially vs Lucas.. wtf is he spamming that you can't beat? pkfire? Just walk up to him and powershield whenever he uses it..

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
My college's lousy Gamer Club bans spamming at their tourneys. I've tried explaining how stupid spamming is, but they're all apparently too lousy at video games in general to understand.

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
Make them define spamming. Then show legitimate reasons why you might do such a thing.

Better yet, have people "spam" against you, and beat them anyway.

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
Beating them does nothing. I've won the last three Brawl tournaments they held without any difficulty, so I'm now a "Smash god" there. They haven't even held a Brawl tourney since last October because they know I'm just going to win their money again, seriously. So not only do I have no real reason to convince them anymore, but now my wins would prove nothing except that I'm "too good". Hearing them say that makes me cry on the inside.

Top Bottom