• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the point of tripping?

PD4FR

Smash Ace
acctualy triping helped me I almost fell into a reverse ganon punch mind game and triped right when he was doing it and i was so close to to dying the I killed him
You are a SDirector, so I hope you're being sarcastic.

If you were going to get hit by that Ganon neutral-B, then that means he set it up correctly and deserved the kill. You had no chance after a certain point to dodge it, and, by luck, you tripped and dodged it. You should not have avoided it, you just got lucky.

In short, tripping is bad for the competitive scene.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I think they just didn't like the dash-dancing on melee. i mean, like come on! what's so bad about moving back and forth really fast!!!
i have had some pretty sweet combos including dash dancing tho XD

CFalcon ddance--->short hop knee of justice--->KO!!!
Seriously, enough of this, they have no idea what we even do.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason

If you were going to get hit by that Ganon neutral-B, then that means he set it up correctly and deserved the kill. You had no chance after a certain point to dodge it, and, by luck, you tripped and dodged it. You should not have avoided it, you just got lucky.

but it still saved me and maybe i was being sarcasastic but still im on the nuetral side of tripping

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman

I think chaos's point was that it wasn't always bad for the tripper. It may be annoying, but it's in no way unfair because both characters have an equal chance of tripping.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
thank you ryan i would have never made it better myself (maybe icould but watever)

Thunderfoot

Smash Cadet
I always end my dash dances with my face planted

Has anyone else ever set a mine with Snake an immediately tripped on top of it?
-1 STOCK

mostwins

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4742-8002-0115
Tripping isn't unfair or anything because both players have an equal chance of being affected by it.

With that being said, it's still pointless.

Tianxiazhai

Smash Journeyman
Best first post, evar.

I'm okay with tripping, I just play like it doesn't exist, and if I do trip, roll away or take advantage of the getup invincibility frames.
Tripping sucks, but we have no choice but to deal with it
This is why
Personally, i prefer the Air!

Also, Kinzer, what does banned mean? And i can see you obviously arent, so?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I got the hax, that's why I'm not really banned.

Mods ain't got nothing on me!

Anyway my TL;DR version was basically "just deal with it, it's here and there's nothing that can be done about without having to fix it yourself if you're lazy."

Witch_

Smash Cadet
Enh. If anything, just to mess with us.

Either that, or I just figure tripping and the impairment of l-cancelling was made to ease the sharp learning curve that made Melee so challenging.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Enh. If anything, just to mess with us.

Either that, or I just figure tripping and the impairment of l-cancelling was made to ease the sharp learning curve that made Melee so challenging.
You're on to something here.

Sakurai had gone out of his way to make this game simplistic so any 5 year old and their ancestor grandparents can pick up on this game for everyone to be able to enjoy.

Delta_0

Smash Cadet
This is not a fighting game.
This is a party game.

Nintendo had no intention of making a game where the most skilled player will always come out on top. Quite the contrary. Sakruai and nintendo have repeatedly stated that they made this game so that everyone playing can have fun.

Your little sister has more fun when you trip in the middle of the match. She gets to hit you! She hardly ever gets to. It's satisfaction.
Super Smash Bros. MELEE.
Super Smash Bros. BRAWL.
Not Super Smash Bros. PARTY.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Super Smash Bros. MELEE.
Super Smash Bros. BRAWL.
Deny it as much as you want, but Brawl really was meant to be a party game with all the random factors that can turn the tide of a match, the variety, the beauty of the game and how it looks... it just has fighting game mechanics.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Sorry, it just seem like you implied you we're trying to argue that it wasn't what it was.

Witch_

Smash Cadet
You're on to something here.

Sakurai had gone out of his way to make this game simplistic so any 5 year old and their ancestor grandparents can pick up on this game for everyone to be able to enjoy.
Still, most people should consider NOT Snakedashing/Tech Chasing/Chain Grabbing their five year old siblings to hell without the need for an added gimp on behalf of the CPU.

Dylacmac

Smash Rookie
Tripping is at worst a minor annoyance. Should it be in the game? Of course not, simple game design says that the outcome of the game should be, as much as possible, determined by the skill of the players. But the overall impact is negligible on brawl as a whole.

Also, I want to point out that, unlike some people are saying, tripping does NOT effect all characters equally. For instance, I main Game and Watch, and nearly all of my approaches, and a good deal of my movement in general comes from jumping and walking, so my chances of tripping are relatively low. On the other hand, a character like Diddy is constantly dashing, so he will trip much more often. So even though the odds of tripping on each dash are the same for all characters, the odds of tripping at any given moment, or during a specific match, are much higher for characters who rely more on dashing. (Diddy may not be the best example, but when I used to mess around with him, I remember dashing, and tripping, a lot)

bigman40

Smash Master
Just hack your Wii (it's not brickable so don't ***** to me about it) and take out the random tripping feature that happens when you run. It really makes the game feel much better.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I maintain that dizzy which exists in almost every fighter but smash bros is WAY worse design than tripping. No one seems to really complain about dizzy even though when it happens you are pretty much going to lose unlike with tripping which usually doesn't even matter (frequently there is randomness in deciding when you are dizzy, by the way).
Dizzy is not random. It's also not a punishment for forward movement.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
The point of tripping is to teach you to get back up when you fall down. Amidst all the greatness of Nintendo fighting fun, he included life lessons for you to learn, son.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros. MELEE.
Super Smash Bros. BRAWL.
Haven't you ever seen bar fights in the movies? Brawl is like that. It's a party and a fight at the same time (wrap your brain around that one, eh?) :dizzy:

M@v

Subarashii!
The funny thing about tripping is that NO ONE likes it, not even casual players. I have a lot of friends that play smash for fun, and they also thing tripping is the worst idea ever. I really want to know what was going through Sakurai's head when he thought up this "bright" idea.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I have a question. With the use of Homebrew to remove tripping from the game, is it still possible to trip on a Banana Peel? If so, then I don't know what the purpose of tripping is.

Sox

Smash Journeyman
I think they did it to put the possibility of a "combo" in the game that the lack of hit stun removed.

Alzi

Smash Master
^ I was just about to say that when i saw that post. It makes some sense too since melee had good hit stun you could do good combo's but now that brawl's hit stun is lowered they added tripping to add in that extra taste.

WITH

Smash Apprentice
I have fun playing street fighter, yet I suck. I am willing to bet casuals liked melee, and would like brawl even if it were very competitive. I mean, if casuals hated melee because of l canceling, hit stun, and wavedashing, would they even have bought brawl?

D

Deleted member

those who say tripping gives noobs a change are wrong, since pros will be better at both punishing and recovering from tripping

Top Bottom