• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about Smash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antonio Tiznado

Smash Rookie
"Originally Posted by Chewbacca35
I don't think that wavedashing is cheap, but if you can't win without using L-Cancelling and wavedashing and fancy stuff like that, then you really aren't that good. I know how to use those techniques, but I rarely, if ever, use them, and I've won two tournaments."

^--- Total noob.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Just heard a golden one today!
Me: I can play you at melee if you want, but after playing so much brawl, I've definitely lost my edge.
Friend: There's no difference.
Me: Yes there is, there's a huge ****ing difference!
Friend: Do you use the GC controller
Me: Yes...
Friend: Well then it's the same. Brawl is just melee with new characters and slightly slower.
Friend 2 {listening in, doesn't own brawl}: Hey hasn't wavedashing been taken out of Brawl
Me: Yeah, and l-cancelling
Friend 2: Woah that's a huge difference
Friend: Wtf is wavedashing and l-cancelling?
Friend 2 and I: .......................................................................................

"Melee sucks, Brawl is greatest smash game yet." -my n00bly friend, He's only won one single ffa game this year. All we play is ffa's with items in Smash64.

Geist

Smash Master
I HEARD A NEW ONE.
some guy saw me playing melee and asked how I got the Brawl mod, looked at the character roster, asked how I got mewtwo, and called me a noob for not unlocking wolf, then walked off.

I don't think I stopped laughing.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yes they're right. Brawl is indeed, FAR better than Brawl, there's almost no debate. I mean, zomg Brawl has t3h tr1pp1ngz! Still, I'm not a big fan of meleelitism, but when Brawl die hards come out with crap like that, you think...no wonder.....

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I HEARD A NEW ONE.
some guy saw me playing melee and asked how I got the Brawl mod, looked at the character roster, asked how I got mewtwo, and called me a noob for not unlocking wolf, then walked off.

I don't think I stopped laughing.
Wow...I don't even know what to say to that one.

I thought it was bad when my friends would see me watching videos of Melee and ask "Is this Melee or Brawl?" I'd look at them like they were crazy. They've asked me that when they were clearly playing on Melee's Final Destination before too (and they're really into smash which is why it surprised me).

And also, if I'm watching a Melee video it should be pretty obvious. I mean, if the characters aren't moving as slow as ******** molasses moving uphill in the middle of winter, you know it's not Brawl. And likewise, I'm sure they'd be comboing in a Melee video. That should give it away too.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm sorry if my friends see this one:

"Well, he DID win a tournament at our high school. So I'd definitely say he's at least in the top 100 in the world."

I sat there not knowing what to say. Earlier I was trying to help them reconstruct for me how the matches went. I showed them different techniques and they told me he rolldodged a lot (i.e. not in the top 100 in the world).

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
One time a girl sitting a bench away from me said literally "I love Brawl, I own with Pikachu, anyone who doesn't play Brawl is a loser"

:)

Panix

Smash Ace
"C-sticking is gay, its not how smash should be played"

"Wow, you can't even kill me legity, you have to spike me to kill me"

Vanill4

Smash Cadet
"Hey, wanna play Brawl?"

/trolling

The first time one of my friend played a few Melee FFA's, he got one kill while everyone else had 8+ or so. So he asked "why does my star have no numbers next to it?"

In another instance where I was teaching someone to play, I explained specials with B and how the C-stick can do smashes and non-nair aerials. So he said, "Do I even need to use the A button?"

iMichael

Smash Lord
"The only reason you're good with Mario is because your using Nintendo's main character so he gets a boost"

Note: This was in a FFA too.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
So I have this roommate named Ryan, who is an absolute scrub at Smash in general. He thinks he's amazing however, for some reason unbeknownst to me. Yet he has no understanding of the competitive scene.

Recently my other roommate Joel brought over his friend Mark. Mark is good at Smash. He's been competitive with Melee for 2 years, and is competitive with Brawl. Mark destroyed Ryan, Joel, and my other roommate Dave. When I played Mark, we were pretty even, although I think I had a slight advantage.

But anyways, Ryan was *****ing and moaning about losing to Mark. And then he added, "If this were Melee I'd beat Mark." And that's just ****ing hilarious, because I played Melee competitively for 5 years, and if Mark even had just half the skill I had, he would easily 5-stock Ryan. I mean, Ryan would have faced an even harsher defeat if it were Melee.

It's just funny that a Smash scrub thinks he would have a better chance against a competitive player in Melee over Brawl...

raincatchfire

Smash Journeyman
I have a good one of myself back when I was starting to learn advanced play:

I went to a gamestop tourney (LOL) and I thought i was the **** cos I could do ok against my friends with peach and had practiced a lot before. I was talking to the store owners and some other guys about who would win and I said "I hope you guys can wavedash as good as me." XD

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I just remembered the ultimate thing that made my blood boil in 2004/5 not sure exactly when. In England, there was an unofficial Nintendo game magazine called Cube. They had their "Top 10 fav Cube Games" and "Top 10 Best Sellers". In one issue, commenting on Melee's continued dominance of the all time best sellers chart, they went "Melee is fun, but it's nothing more than just glorified button mashing. Just mash all the buttons and you're bound to come out on top. Games that take real skill should be in the top sellers." I never bought another issue, and torched the one with that comment in it, because R0Y has t3h f1r3z!

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I was playing with a few people who my friend was teaching how to really play Melee and this conversation happened between those two kids after one KO'd someone with Link's d-air.

"Yes! I just spiked him!"
"Awesome! Wait--his up-spike or his down-spike?"
"His down-spike."
"Yes, I love his down-spike!"

As you all know, Link can't spike (except I think with Spin Attack).

They also referred to DK's f-air as Donkey Kong's Hammer Smash.

I thought it was kinda funny. They'll learn eventually.

Geist

Smash Master
I was playing with a few people who my friend was teaching how to really play Melee and this conversation happened between those two kids after one KO'd someone with Link's d-air.

"Yes! I just spiked him!"
"Awesome! Wait--his up-spike or his down-spike?"
"His down-spike."
"Yes, I love his down-spike!"

As you all know, Link can't spike (except I think with Spin Attack).

They also referred to DK's f-air as Donkey Kong's Hammer Smash.

I thought it was kinda funny. They'll learn eventually.
lol
that's pretty funny.
How about those people who think DK's >B to giant punch is cheap.
xD

Boo Yah

Smash Rookie
"Why would you roll from the knocked out position when you can just get up attack?" Which in turn led to me "putting an infinite" on my friend with Falcon's D-air, due to him being unfamiliar with teching, or rolling. After which he complained about how Melee was a stupid game because crap like that is "inescapable."

Zelareth

Smash Cadet
Ok so I was playing one of my friend's noob Falcon with my Marth and of course I get the: "That wavedashing and L-cancelling bullsh*t is cheap." So I stop wavedashing and just walk fsmash him down to one stock. So of course next I get, "Ugh that forward smash is so unfair. If you were good you wouldn't keep using the same move." So then I just sit with my back to the edge until he raptor boosts and I spot dodge. He reset the match and claimed I didn't deserve to win cuz I played cheap. ^_^

xMosmo

Smash Apprentice
"Link has an advantage over fox"
"link counters fox"
"Fox cant do **** out of his CC"
"Downsmashing with falco is cheap " then he proceeds to attept to shine spike and CG

all said by the same person thats been playing smash competetivly since the game came out. and has won so many tournaments. and he mains fox
bustin chops.

gr8ape

Smash Apprentice
"Originally Posted by Chewbacca35
I don't think that wavedashing is cheap, but if you can't win without using L-Cancelling and wavedashing and fancy stuff like that, then you really aren't that good. I know how to use those techniques, but I rarely, if ever, use them, and I've won two tournaments."

^--- Total noob.
that quote is actually concentrated wisdom, that you are, obviously, unable to comprehend

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua

how many times have you guys heard "Why're they playing in Lightning Mode?"

Just wondering.
I got asked that in real life. It was really funny. I wasn't even playing that fast, it was only a warm-up match lol.

btw I heard this the other day, "Why do you still like Melee better? Brawl has more character and is more balanced." Thought I'd share

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
So I have this roommate named Ryan, who is an absolute scrub at Smash in general. He thinks he's amazing however, for some reason unbeknownst to me. Yet he has no understanding of the competitive scene.

Recently my other roommate Joel brought over his friend Mark. Mark is good at Smash. He's been competitive with Melee for 2 years, and is competitive with Brawl. Mark destroyed Ryan, Joel, and my other roommate Dave. When I played Mark, we were pretty even, although I think I had a slight advantage.

But anyways, Ryan was *****ing and moaning about losing to Mark. And then he added, "If this were Melee I'd beat Mark." And that's just ****ing hilarious, because I played Melee competitively for 5 years, and if Mark even had just half the skill I had, he would easily 5-stock Ryan. I mean, Ryan would have faced an even harsher defeat if it were Melee.

It's just funny that a Smash scrub thinks he would have a better chance against a competitive player in Melee over Brawl...
is this a serious post
'5 stocked' in brawl totally represents melee skillz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom