• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats the best stage to ban against high tiers?

Foy

Smash Champion
Like I've been thinking about this and have no answer since the only stage bowser is legitimately good on is Yoshi's.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Fox - Ban pokemon stadium, it was pretty much made for him. It helps him plenty (camping, wall combos, the plats are a great height for his combos, etc), a lot of characters auto-ban this for Fox.

Falco - Personally I'd ban FD, but it's a toss up between there and PS imo. He's got too many good counterpicks so I'd go with a neutral, since chances are he'll win on his counterpick no matter what if he's decent.

Marth - Not really sure here, I'd probably ban battlefield but if you're comfortable on that stage then I'm not sure. He'll probably ban Yoshi's if he knows the match up, which means if you have a higher tier sub you can get a free double-ban on him essentially (like banning Yoshi's/FD, then switching to Fox, something like that). But yeah if you don't wanna ban battlefield then just ban whatever you're most uncomfortable on. Maybe DL64, most Marths suck there though, I love it as Marth though for some reason. As long as I'm not against Fox, Jiggs, Peach, or Samus haha.

Sheik - I don't have enough experience in this match up but she can probably gay you out anywhere. Sorry lmao.

Jiggs/Peach - Dreamland, they can wreck your recovery there.

C.Falcon - Don't have much experience with this matchup, I suppose just try and keep Battlefield/Yoshi's/Fountain open and you'll be ok. A lot of Falcons will counterpick Yoshi's if they don't know the matchup :D

IC's - I'd ban FD, so you can escape their chaingrabs. That's all I can really say about them lol.

I think that's everyone in high tier... hope it helps some. Just remember, this is just my opinion and I'm definitely NOT a Bowser master, so take it with a grain of salt and if all else fails just ban where you're least comfortable.

PNaleek

Smash Journeyman
Nicely put CABC. ^^
For Shiek, wouldn't you wanna ban FD as well? Sure, she'd "gay you up" anywhere, but atleast having platforms would increase your chances of winning. The platforms would probably help her out too, so watch out for the ****.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
I just figured, you're gonna get chaingrabbed anywhere, I'd rather not give her platforms for her gay *** needle camping XD. But it depends on the players too, against aggressive Sheiks then FD would be a good ban.

Battlefield might be good to ban too, platforms are a great height for her and she can gimp you with relative ease >.o

Rose

Smash Journeyman
all of them

but srsly, just speaking neutrals, don't fight Sheik on FD. Don't fight Fox at kanto. Take falcon to FD, FoD. Fight falco at yoshis, and marth is more bearable on FD.

as far as banning a cp, do obvious stuff like banning corneria vs fox, banning mute vs the floaty priority ho's. Mute is just awful for the koopa king.

PNaleek

Smash Journeyman
... lol. Koopa can do some crazy stuff at Corneria. xD
I think against Falcon, FoD is too risky. Those moving darn platforms always seem to get in the way.

Rose

Smash Journeyman
Corneria is great vs jiggs. Kill with up-B quickly, camp the fin and tech when you're a high %.

As for FoD, that's the point. Falcon's aerials can get stuffed by the platforms. Falcon vs Bowser is all about getting Falcon off the edge and not getting grabbed by him, anyway: Bowser shouldn't be jumping too much, unless he's tech chasing a platform.

PNaleek

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking from a combo mindset... and then it hit me.
"What!? Bowser has combos?? O_O"

Speaking of which, I was playing my friend today, and platforms helped and hurt.
I said this before, but maybe it's just personal preference...

AprilShaw

aka Logan
all of them

but srsly, just speaking neutrals, don't fight Sheik on FD. Don't fight Fox at kanto. Take falcon to FD, FoD. Fight falco at yoshis, and marth is more bearable on FD.

as far as banning a cp, do obvious stuff like banning corneria vs fox, banning mute vs the floaty priority ho's. Mute is just awful for the koopa king.
Mute's banned at Pound 4, might become standard (though doubtful).

Corneria is pro, but are we talking about stage bans or general counterpicking at this point? It sounds like the OP knew where he was good but wanted to know what to ban for his opponent. lol

Rose

Smash Journeyman
Mute isn't banned at p4 anymore. Too many people (peach and jiggs players) complained.

I posted what I posted because it doesn't matter what you strike vs Falcon, as long as you try to leave FoD. Thinkin about FD some more, that's just my preference and I couldn't recommend it to others (falcon DD camps you there for easy grabs). As for banning, Falcon doesn't need a cp on Bowser lol. Maybe he'll be a **** and take you to Pokefloats, that would suck badly (you lose the one thing that makes Bowser able to take stocks vs cf). Falcon players are never that lame though.

Just strike FD vs Falco, Dreamland vs puff/peach.

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
Yoshis is fine but yea dont rely on it too much. Everybody i fight in tourney bans it. I personally like Dreamland the most with bowser. Today in my tourney set with Scar's falcon i had the chance to counterpick with yoshis in the final game but i chose to do dreamland. I love to use the high ceiling to my advantage with excellent DI. Yoshis is awesome for ledge combos and stuff but its also a tiny stage. I dont like playing falcon or ganon there.
For peach, i send them to FoD, believe it or not, they have trouble here against us.
FYI peach is the hardest match for bowser in the game and not sheik. You can jump out of sheiks chaingrab after around 35% with a frame perfect jump and correct DI. Take sheiks to Battlefield.

Battlefield is my 2nd favorite stage with bowser. Pokemon is a baad stage especially against spacies and ganon.
FD is horrid against falco, falcon, doc, sheik... Its pretty decent against marth peach fox.

im too tired to say more lol. U can watch all my matches on youtube to personally see that i never pick Yoshis.
Set with scar is on Bowsers at pound threadd

dashdancedan

Smash Journeyman
I usually just ban Mute City against everyone, because neutrals are better than any stupid counterpicks. Seriously, Pokefloats, Rainbow Cruise, and Mute City pose a much bigger threat than ANY neutral. I don't know why you would ban a neutral as Bowser, unless it's sheik on FD who needle camps and chain grabs.

Personally, I love Stadium with Bowser

I take Foxes to Yoshis or FoD
Falcos to DL64 or Battlefield
Marths to Stadium or DL64
Sheiks to ... (In reality I switch to fox and go to stadium.)
Peaches to Corneria or Yoshis
Falcons to Yoshis or Stadium

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i ban fd every time if it is possible

if you can't ban fd

just forfeit match 2 so they don't learn you and take them to yoshis or wherever - if you can't ban fd you can't ban yoshis. i'll take that arrangement any day of the week.

also i take sheik's to fod primarily but bf isn't a bad option either

marth eh - bf i guess if no yoshis - his tips are nice there but bowser gets a better buff overall and can edgeguard marth a lot easier there. bf is nice for the same edge reasons basically and i like the stage overall

fox sometimes yoshis sometimes dreamland sometimes battlefield - depends on what's giving you problems really.

falco - basically the same.

i like taking falcon's to japes - you're not generally killing them off the top in most matches anyways and dash dance camping isn't very effective there with all of bowser's movement options - just don't get carried away with easily punished getup attacks.

peaches primarily to pokemon stadium.
you should percent wise be able to outlive peach on most stages - but on stadium you have all the tools in the world to kill peach off the top and she has just as much trouble killing you there as she does anywhere else. I never take peach's to yoshis because it's easy to get into "always moving" mode and just jump into dsmash for a quick 50% your way on accident. plus she can kill you off the sides there way easier.

puff i like yoshis but the other 3 platform stages are fine as well. sometimes green greens works - but i'm not a fan of that stage at all.

i'm too lazy to write more in specifics.

i love yoshi's for obvious reasons - i love dreamland because that stage is tight and bowser outlives a lot of characters there - the stage is big enough and the platforms are spaced well enough to give you plenty of room to not approach but not just get spammed/priority camped or dd camped - i love battlefield for basically teh same reasons as i love dreamland except it can OCCASIONALLY mess up other character's recoveries/make it easier to edgegaurd and vs characters that can die off the top it isn't as high as dreamland. stadium is alright sometimes- but generally if you're there you're there vs somebody you don't want to be there vs. fd is the worst stage in the world and shouldn't even be a neutral. fod is alright - i personally don't really like the stage - but that's not a bowser reason it's with everyone. i just don't really like playing there.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
Yoshi's Story isn't good for Bowser at high level play. Its just OK at the most. I would only ban FD against certain characters. Agree with me and WarriorKnight people lol.

PB&J

Smash Hero
i have the best bowser ever ..lol

i think its funny that people think bowser suks on fd..learn how to fight on there or something and bann a gay stage like dashdance dan said

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Yoshi's Story isn't good for Bowser at high level play. Its just OK at the most. I would only ban FD against certain characters. Agree with me and WarriorKnight people lol.
You should theoretically ban FD against all characters, it worked for me :D.

<3.

Come down here soon!

If not I'll see you at RoM.

Top Bottom