• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's Sonic's position in the tier list?

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
There is no tier list.
Sonic is not a good character (as Lucky has stated).
THerefore he will probably be low tier.
But right now there is no tier list so GTFO

rushdown

Smash Rookie
In the tier lists (garbage) I've seen, Sonic's definitely on the low side. I'm being very optimistic about it, not putting a ceiling on his potential. I think Sonic's strength lies in the amount of control and expertise the player has, rather than being able to speak for himself as a character (some play easier out of the box than others). For this reason that not a lot of people have mastered Sonic, they're basically underrating him.

That's just my feeling. I will still be on the Sonic cheer squad for quite a while.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Although the game hasn't been out long enough to find all the hidden strats and tricks that can more definitivley say what the tier listing will be, i'd say sonic (as of now) is low-high tier or high-mid tier.
The lack of priority hinder him a bit, but honestly sonic is blazing fast. Spacing and speed attacks mean that sonic dodges quite a bit: more damgage given than recieved

Again, imo, its still too early to tell, and more strats and tricks all in account decide his tier placment

Umby

Smash Master

Capt. Oli

Smash Cadet
Although the game hasn't been out long enough to find all the hidden strats and tricks that can more definitivley say what the tier listing will be, i'd say sonic (as of now) is low-high tier or high-mid tier.
The lack of priority hinder him a bit, but honestly sonic is blazing fast. Spacing and speed attacks mean that sonic dodges quite a bit: more damgage given than recieved

Again, imo, its still too early to tell, and more strats and tricks all in account decide his tier placment
Ha. ha. ha. Good joke. Seriously though, more damage given than received doesn't always equate to an above average character if he has poor finishing moves (which sonic does) or a poor recovery (I suppose it is above average...).

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Lmfao, u got the joke ,xD

In all seriousness though, i do think sonic constitutes mid tier material. He lacks priority and kill moves. Blatant statement: is fact. To be high tier, he would have to have a wide range of advantages, speed is only one and not as important as killing an opponent.

And tier listing does not have a thing to do with player's skill: a tier is how well they do compare to another character. Unless some ungodly new techs are discovered with sonic, he is mid tier. Imho
Great recovery, and a wide array of gimping, not neccisarily strong ko moves

Beak

Smash Rookie
I'd say low tier. He simply has short-comings that will put him under other characters like R.O.B. and the like.

Shoop70

Smash Apprentice
I'm with those who main him regardless...the only reason I used Fox in Melee is because I liked speed characters...didn't even know about tiers...and frankly, I didn't care...but honest guess on tier position? Probably low or mid tier unless we make some more good discoveries.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Im going to have to disagree. Sonic has a lot of pro's that put him above some chars, and his strenghts are his gimping and speed. He can quite easily knock an opponent off stage, albeit hard to kill with. From there, he can gimp better than almost anyone. To boot, he can save himself well after chasing an opponent pretty far off. Not high tier, but most def not low tier

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Tierlists are based on the character in comparison to other characters.

It would totally defeat the purposeof him being low tier because of teh fact that he does to well in low and bottom tier.
mid tier is definite anything higher would mean that Sonic would have some amazing strategy to make up for his lack of KO ability and priority. Priority being the major issue.

Ugh ****ing luigi ***** me. -_-;

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Well put ShadowLink84, and that is why it is a bit too early to tell, i mean, what if there is some ungodly new tech that we haven't found for sonic yet?? if the infamaous "spindash dance" is fact... the combo windows and sheer ridiculousness of the mindgame of it is just one more thing that is in Sonic's arsenal. I am with u 100% on him being a shoe in for mid tier... high tier is high hoping unless something concrete proves to us otherwise

Hero Reborn

Smash Cadet
Low, high, it doesn't matter to me any more. I rather play a low tier character and win that a high tier; I love the challenge. From now on I only main bottom to mid tier characters starting with Link, Sonic, and Ganondorf. If i can come on top with these characters that I'll prove that skill is the determining factor in any game. Tiers is as real as the air I breathe, but even more evident is the ability to come on top despite the odds not being in ones favor.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
He's gonna be bottom on the first tier list, mark my words. I think he'll end up mid/mid-high in the end, but we'll see. Right now, people have a LOT of misconceptions about him, and since we have no Sonic mains in the SBR (I'm aiming to get in, but I dunno how that'll end up =/), most people are completely oblivious to what he can do. At worst, in the end, he'll end up low.

Hero Reborn

Smash Cadet
He's gonna be bottom on the first tier list, mark my words. I think he'll end up mid/mid-high in the end, but we'll see. Right now, people have a LOT of misconceptions about him, and since we have no Sonic mains in the SBR (I'm aiming to get in, but I dunno how that'll end up =/), most people are completely oblivious to what he can do. At worst, in the end, he'll end up low.
I don't care where he ends up. Skill owns over tier.

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
Hero reborn, you are a r3tard. Tier lists are just overall stat analysis and how all the characters fall into that. Skill is important, true, but winning a tournament with a low-tier character won't prove jack-****.

Does this mean the top character in the tiers will win all the tournaments? No. Tier lists are just as I described. Key word here? Tournaments. I didn't use that word in my definition of tier lists. Tier lists span the game overall, and due to competitiveness of the tournament scene and how characters are ordered in the lists, generates a mis-conception that tier lists are tied to tournaments somehow.

no one cares who you play as, except sonic since this is the sonic character discussion forum. Even then, that is assumed since you post here.

Hero Reborn

Smash Cadet
I can't believe you went as far as to call me ****** because of my post. Did what I said really warrant that? That was pretty lame. You're really lame for that. You need grow up and learn how to people with respect. I believe what I said and that doesn't remotely make me a ******. The fact that you'd even go that far is rather stupid. You're not worthy of my respect. I done with you. Good bye.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Hero, no one cares if he's worthy of your respect, or if you're worthy of his. Neither of you have done much to earn it. However, more people are apt to take his side because we've seen thousands of players just like you come and go, with no positive effect on the smash scene.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Not at all. if a noob plays marth or falco they would have an eaiser time than with sonic.
It all depends on the player. If used effectively he could be low high tier, but if handled by a noob he's the lowest of the low.
He said Sonic's position in the tier list would depend on the skill of the player.

The point of the tier list is to determine which characters would do better if played by players of equal skill.

DDM

Smash Journeyman
Probably low tier, but there will be a few players who will get very good with him. Dude is freaking fast. Don't get too wrapped up in the tier lists, though. Any character can be very good in the right hands (see: Gimpy's Bowser).

Browny

Smash Hater
I really think sonics match ups should count for something. a top tier character like snake have pretty all much all their specials negated by sonic. his Nikita will never hit sonic, as with grenades, sonics recoveries are just so versatile. c4 is practically the same, near impossible to hit him running with it and once snake is off the stage a fair bit, theres nothing he can do to stop sonic gimping or sending him into the wall.

im not saying sonic is better than snake, i know snake is stronger is every other aspect, but its just a typical example of characters i feel are significantly disadvantaged versus sonic. and if his good match ups vs. other high + top tier characters doesnt count for anything, nothing will. i mean ive been practicing a lot with my brother and level 9 CPU's. its takes everything i have to beat metaknight and pit with sonic, while my lucario makes short work of them every time. and then with lucario i have a hard time taking on dedede and snake while my sonic proceeds to obliterate them.

i guess its nothing new that brawl is a lot more rock/paper/scissors than melee, but when it comes to tournaments i feel if counterpicking is allowed, sonic will do very well. if not, theres not much to save him vs many other characters.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Right now, i'm thinking of the tier list as "Top, tournament standard, tournament viable, not viable"

just 4 tiers.

in the top I have Marth and Metaknight.

In the "not viable" tier, i have yoshi and DK.

Sonic is a viable character for tournaments, but will not be in the tournament standard tier. He is somewhere in the middle of the pack. Maybe around 20th overall.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Right now, i'm thinking of the tier list as "Top, tournament standard, tournament viable, not viable"

just 4 tiers.

in the top I have Marth and Metaknight.

In the "not viable" tier, i have yoshi and DK.

Sonic is a viable character for tournaments, but will not be in the tournament standard tier. He is somewhere in the middle of the pack. Maybe around 20th overall.
DK not viable? Have you even played the game? DK is so good. Go play him for more than three seconds and tell me he's not viable for tourneys. Idiot. Yoshi's beast too.

Edit: Try to have common knowledge of a character before posting about them.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Yoshi and DK are good, srsly.

Sonic destroys Pit. It's my favourite match-up currently. Marth is fun, too, since he dies at stupid low percents. Sonic does well enough against TL (I really need to fight an amazing TL, though), Snake (not sure. D: ), Pit, MK, and D3, for a few potential top tiers. He seems to have problems with GaW, Olimar (sometimes I own Olimar, other times I get owned. The match is HEAVILY reliant on those gimps), and Lucas (haven't done this match-up since US release, though. D: ). I dunno who he counters currently, aside from Pit and Ike. Probably Boozer, and he does well against DK, too. I'll try to make a full match-up ratio chart sometime soon. Be warned, though. It's nothing but my opinions, and may be woefully inaccurate.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Yoshi and DK are good, srsly.

Sonic destroys Pit. It's my favourite match-up currently. Marth is fun, too, since he dies at stupid low percents. Sonic does well enough against TL (I really need to fight an amazing TL, though), Snake (not sure. D: ), Pit, MK, and D3, for a few potential top tiers. He seems to have problems with GaW, Olimar (sometimes I own Olimar, other times I get owned. The match is HEAVILY reliant on those gimps), and Lucas (haven't done this match-up since US release, though. D: ). I dunno who he counters currently, aside from Pit and Ike. Probably Boozer, and he does well against DK, too. I'll try to make a full match-up ratio chart sometime soon. Be warned, though. It's nothing but my opinions, and may be woefully inaccurate.
Bowser = death to Sonic. Ftilt > all of Sonics moves, as do all of Bowser's aerials. DK's definitely an easier match up. Ike is a joke, though.

Hero Reborn

Smash Cadet
Hero, no one cares if he's worthy of your respect, or if you're worthy of his. Neither of you have done much to earn it. However, more people are apt to take his side because we've seen thousands of players just like you come and go, with no positive effect on the smash scene.
What the hell is that supposed to mean? He insulted me, or did you not catch that? People like me come and go? Who are people like me? What have I ever done here but state my opinion? Listen, I've done nothing to earn anyone's disrespect, and I refuse to have so immature no-it-all disrepect me over my opinion. And you'd defend that because people like me come and go. You know nothing about me. How dare you. I don't give a ****. There's no need for me to get riled up over something so trivial. I ain't going nowhere and my opinion won't change. Tell you buddy to deal with it.

Boxob

Smash Champion
What the hell is that supposed to mean? He insulted me, or did you not catch that? People like me come and go? Who are people like me? What have I ever done here but state my opinion? Listen, I've done nothing to earn anyone's disrespect, and I refuse to have so immature no-it-all disrepect me over my opinion. And you'd defend that because people like me come and go. You know nothing about me. How dare you. I don't give a ****. There's no need for me to get riled up over something so trivial. I ain't going nowhere and my opinion won't change. Tell you buddy to deal with it.
People like you are annoying. Lol, go back to the Link boards.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I said neither of you for good reason. He's not my buddy, I don't even remember who I was defending. Neither are you, for that matter.

People "like you" are scrubs talking about how, with the heart of the cards, characters like SSBM's Kirby can overcome tiers, and the skill of the player and dedication to their character is all that matters. That's not how fighting games work. Don't expect for people to respect you when you first join, especially when you start saying stupid crap. I especially like how you call anyone that doesn't take your side "immature", and fling out "how dare you" all over the place. It's like a senile grandmother set to loop.

You're right about one thing. I know nothing about you. I don't care to, either. I already know that you're a waste of time, at least for the time being.

Boxob, I haven't really had problems with Boozer, and one of our players has a pretty mean one. I'll try to get vids up sometime, since I can't just explain how to own the overrated ftilt of doom.

Boxob

Smash Champion
I said neither of you for good reason. He's not my buddy, I don't even remember who I was defending. Neither are you, for that matter.

People "like you" are scrubs talking about how, with the heart of the cards, characters like SSBM's Kirby can overcome tiers, and the skill of the player and dedication to their character is all that matters. That's not how fighting games work. Don't expect for people to respect you when you first join, especially when you start saying stupid crap. I especially like how you call anyone that doesn't take your side "immature", and fling out "how dare you" all over the place. It's like a senile grandmother set to loop.

You're right about one thing. I know nothing about you. I don't care to, either. I already know that you're a waste of time, at least for the time being.

Boxob, I haven't really had problems with Boozer, and one of our players has a pretty mean one. I'll try to get vids up sometime, since I can't just explain how to own the overrated ftilt of doom.
I lol'd at heart of the cards.

And it'd be nice if you can get acid up, His Ftilt actually doesn't give me that much trouble really, that comment was geared towards the not so good players. But his aerials do give me some trouble, since they all have more priority.

Boxob

Smash Champion

I lol'd at heart of the cards.

And it'd be nice if you can get a video up, His Ftilt actually doesn't give me that much trouble really, that comment was geared towards the not so good players. But his aerials do give me some trouble, since they all have more priority.

Hero Reborn

Smash Cadet
Perhaps, I went a bit overboard. I really shouldn't even be this upset, however, I just don't like like the idea of me being new having anything to do with my status or credibility. I disn't say I didn't believe in tiers, I merely stated that it isn't the defining factor. Be it as it may, I'll leave it at that. I apologize if my beliefs annoy anyone, but I'll stand by them any way.

Top Bottom