• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***What's going on with Smashbros.com?***

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Dragon Boy. Ridiculous. First off, even if the online IS good, the tournament scene won't be hurt at all. I personally think it is much easier to organize up to 250 people in a large room, than it woul;d be to organize that same number of people in an online tournament. 10-20 years is jsut a ridiculous hyperbole lol. We'll have a next gen system, if not two by the end of 20 years. Heck, most of us will have kids who would be playing it then XD

greenblob

Smash Lord
I wonder whether the gaps will be similar to those in Saffron/MK I&II/Fourside.

*Ness falls in the gap* "PK Thunder!" *PK Thunder is absorbed by wall*
Ness player: $#&*!%

Salaad

Smash Ace
luck? That's bad, man. That's why I take off items, no skill.
I take items off too, but I'm talking about the stage. xD

There is a certain amount of skill and luck (concerning the stage and when the bridge breaks, etc.) in every game.

SSB games are all about skill, but there is also luck/chance. Take Hyrule castle in SSB, you would have luck to not get caught in the tornado. But yeah, Items are gey. Interactive stages are fun/challenging to play on. xD

greenblob

Smash Lord
Yes, there's luck, but the idea is to minimize luck (without being too ridiculous like banning Peach b/c you can't control which turnips come out).

The bad thing is that stage hazards and items do take skill to use, but they're luck based.

~rh

Smash Lord
Ahahaha, I was playing TP like 2 hours ago and I saw King Bulbin, now he's making cameos in Brawl.

Nice. :)

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
If I'm jsut doing free for alls with my crew, sure, we turn on all the stages and all the items, but in serious play they don't exist. And luck doesn't dictate every aspect, or you could consider the follow, highly unlikely situation. Bowser v. Marth, on Kirby's dreamland 64. bowser has it in the bag! marth is getting back on the stage, and bowser presses down b, but the wind kicks up, and he goes jsut too far and SD's because of the wind and a poorly used special move XD . A situation that would never happen in competitive play, but it shows that even tournament legal course can be considered luck based.

Salaad

Smash Ace
If I'm jsut doing free for alls with my crew, sure, we turn on all the stages and all the items, but in serious play they don't exist. And luck doesn't dictate every aspect, or you could consider the follow, highly unlikely situation. Bowser v. Marth, on Kirby's dreamland 64. bowser has it in the bag! marth is getting back on the stage, and bowser presses down b, but the wind kicks up, and he goes jsut too far and SD's because of the wind and a poorly used special move XD . A situation that would never happen in competitive play, but it shows that even tournament legal course can be considered luck based.

Thank you, you took the words right out of my mouth. I think pretty soon they will start giving two updates a day! (Greedy)

Florida

イーグランツ
Luck is apart of the game anyways, there's no escaping that. With mindgames, you have to make predictions on what your opponent will do next. If you're lucky, they'll follow your plan, if you're not, then that's a different story.

WGWOLVERINE described a situation quite clearly, and it does happen to some people. Luck is just as important as anyother tactic in the game. Oh, and playing with items takes a different type of skill; you have to time your moves carefully, know the best time to deliver the attack, etc.. Just like in an aggressive game, without items.

chiyo-chan' dad

Smash Ace
I take items off too, but I'm talking about the stage. xD

There is a certain amount of skill and luck (concerning the stage and when the bridge breaks, etc.) in every game.

SSB games are all about skill, but there is also luck/chance. Take Hyrule castle in SSB, you would have luck to not get caught in the tornado. But yeah, Items are gey. Interactive stages are fun/challenging to play on. xD
What I mean is, your having a good fight, then the ****ing stage comes out and kills you and the fight, that not cool, man. Then he wins because of the stage, no skill, just like items.

Rash

Smash Ace
What I mean is, your having a good fight, then the ****ing stage comes out and kills you and the fight, that not cool, man. Then he wins because of the stage, no skill, just like items.
Well, now since you know about the stage beforehand, you can approach it with caution when it comes to your first serious match on it.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. Brawl's going to have plenty of "fair and balanced" stages where hazards shouldn't be an issue to players during a tourney or whatnot. Sakurai's merely showing stages like BoE the earliest because it's an "interesting" stage, above all else, and will satisfy the fanbase.

user_name

Smash Apprentice
God forbid items are actually part of the game, and used to help out low tier/short range characters while nerfing 'broken' characters like Fox and Falco. (which, although would still be high tier, would be much less broken if people would turn items on, and play on stages that arnt FD) The only reason items should really be turned off in tourny play is because of the cracked out exploding items.

Blackadder

Smash Master
^^^^
Yes, they can also help high tiers while nerfing low tiers.

It's not a one way street with items buddy.

Also, I have them turned of, because they DO kill any skill needed.

Salaad

Smash Ace
Yep, we all know they take no skill. Classic mode wouldn't be as fun without them though! xD

MK FTW? and 100th post FTW.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Oh, hey Salaad.
No updates today=no DP ):

Classic mode...Hmmmm.
Well, I don't really use them in Classic (But I can't resists a maximum tomato or other healing item) so I don't really wan't them in that either.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
So items require some skill,while some like hammers and pokeballs can be very cheap.

Also,I'm bummed that there's Dawn Patrol tonight. Who else am I going to endlessly speculate over whether the next update will be music or an item with?

cless-mint

Smash Journeyman
Natchitoches, Louisiana A.K.A. "The South Ya'
Items rock if you want a fun free for all battle. When you want to get serious and go 1v1 no items.

Anyway, what'd I miss?

BTW, some stupid DLL error is barring me from installing photoshop. It's so stupid and hard to find a fix for. I'm doing what I can though, DP sigs coming soon!

BTW, for any of you wondering how much better I am at Photoshop than the GiMP, here's an example.

Now to get back to work to fix it.

BTW, don't steal that sig, I made it for a friend named Xfox, lolz

Blackadder

Smash Master
Sigs!!!!
Man I'm hyped about seeing the new ones for Blood tak, ect.

Anyways, Items are fun for a muck-round match.
I.E Poke'mon battles.
(Can only attack the oppenent buy piffing poke'balls at them, and letting the poke'mon do the rest, always on Poke'mon stadium level. I love that.)
But for competitive play, items OFF.

Salaad

Smash Ace
Lol, they are really fun in classic. (well, at least the new items look like they will be). I wouldn't mind Classic without items even though they do add some randomness. xD

Blackadder

Smash Master
Anyways, the thread crashed on me last night, and I left immeditaly after the update.
What's everyones opionions of the new stage?

Salaad

Smash Ace
I love the new stage even though it will probably be banned.

We should make a DP thread cause this thread always goes from like page 500 to page 505 in 1 min..

Blackadder

Smash Master
A DP thread?
Yeah, I thought of that, but odds on the Mods would take close it immediatly.
But I dunno, I've only been on SWF for less than month!

I really do HATE the way the thrwad crashes though, its ****in' annoying.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Yes, items require skill, but in general, someone with an item has an advantage over someone without an item, and items appear randomly. Randomness, which should be minimized as much as possible (without going overboard such as banning Dreamland 64 for the wind), is the main reason items should be turned off.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Yes, items require skill, but in general, someone with an item has an advantage over someone without an item, and items appear randomly. Randomness, which should be minimized as much as possible (without going overboard such as banning Dreamland 64 for the wind), is the main reason items should be turned off.
I concure.
Randomness=bad in smash.

..which, incidently, is why I dislike all these "Moving and changing" stages in Brawl.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Bah, my brother and I are Uber competitive with eachother.
Anyways, Salaad, (Cless-mint also if you're watching) should we make a DP thread?
Note the mods may close it immediatly, and it'll attract ****ers wanting to spam up the place.

Salaad

Smash Ace
Lets be safe and PM a mod before we do anything. xD But we need more DP people and see if they want to do it too.

Blackadder

Smash Master
yeah, agreed.

Anyways, have you seen the thread about some joker claiming he's found a new Uber Link tactic?
Madness I tell ya.

Florida

イーグランツ
You guys are going to make a thread to support Dawn Patrol, and try to recruit new members? Dawn Patrol is just a group of people who stay up late to see the update when it first comes out, correct? If anybody would want to do that, they'd be doing it already.

The idea is pretty much "closed" material. (the thread will be shut down).

Blackadder

Smash Master
You guys are going to make a thread to support Dawn Patrol, and try to recruit new members? Dawn Patrol is just a group of people who stay up late to see the update when it first comes out, correct? If anybody would want to do that, they'd be doing it already.

The idea is pretty much "closed" material. (the thread will be shut down).
Thats what I thought anyways.
@Stryks
yeah, Spam it was, but there wasn't anyone else on.

Anways, on topic:
Anyone dislike this new stage?
I know I do.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
Dragon Boy. Ridiculous. First off, even if the online IS good, the tournament scene won't be hurt at all. I personally think it is much easier to organize up to 250 people in a large room, than it woul;d be to organize that same number of people in an online tournament. 10-20 years is jsut a ridiculous hyperbole lol. We'll have a next gen system, if not two by the end of 20 years. Heck, most of us will have kids who would be playing it then XD
Where in my post did I state "online is gonna be hurt" dude? :confused:If anything,I only clearly stated that tournment scene is gonna remain the same old same old.If you would re-read what I wrote at the beginning,this rant that you have here currently is considered void and ridiculous.Read 1st,post later..thanks. :)

digifreak642

Smash Journeyman
I would join the DP, but I'm not allowed on the computer that late. ;)

Let's get back on topic. (If possible.)

Many people seem to have gripes about the newest stage, but I think it will provide fun battles and interesting situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom